Musical Houses

david starling

I need music in my life, and always have. H5 is supposed to be about creativity, including music. I have no H5 residents, and although I considered a musical career, it isn't really about creating it, it's about experiencing it. Not surprisingly, with Sun, Asc.,Merc. and Mars in Pisces, and Jupiter in Scorpio, I crave music that inspires emotion. With Uranian Gemini, I admire Jazz, but don't rely on it. So, H5 for making music--H 11 then for loving it? Opinions appreciated!:joyful:

RaRohini

Hi David !

No H5 residents here either ! But live for music Sun Mercury Saturn R in Gemini 3 and Moon in Taurus... Billy Joel is my fav Sun in Gem ..Moon in Taurus isnt he?
Moon in Pisces..Michael Jackson?
Amy Jackson is another fav.. Moon rahu conjunct.

theV

2nd house and 3rd House rules the throat and the voice, 5th house rules creativity It is important to have these three houses activated. Taurus is the sign of THE VOICE, placed on asc or mc bestow the person with beautiful voice. Leo is also important as it is the sign of creativity and show business, it gives a beautiful voice too.

Frisiangal

I need music in my life, ............... it isn't really about creating it, it's about experiencing it.

I think that is the crunch of the matter.
Imho Music cannot be applied to a house realm because experiencing the effect of music can carry people away, take them out of themselves, for different reasons (I'm also a Uranus in Gemini and dislike every form of Jazz; it literally gets on my nerves:andy:). Music can bring happiness or consolation, soothe tension or depression, provide or detract from concentration, etc.etc. The one's Sibelius is the other's Springsteen or favourite rap artist.

How to interpret the effect of music always brings a particular event to mind.
I was travelling on a late evening train in an almost empty compartment. A gentleman (55ish) came and sat opposite me. Okay; he looked a rather 'bohemian and arty type' in need of a good meal and shave:biggrin:. He soon opened his moth eaten brief case and took out what were sheets of music. He began to study a sheet. Very slightly,a finger began to move in motion as would a baton. As he became more engrossed in the music ,his face took on the emotion of what he was experiencing through it. A tear slid down his cheek. I don't know what he was hearing, whether it was modern, classical ,or the latest pop. There wasn't a sound to hear except the rumble of the train wheels as they hit rail sections. He was travelling in another world entirely.
I've often thought he must have had a strong Mercury-Neptune/Pisces influence in his chart. ** Had he been humming or singling, I would have included Venus.:biggrin:

**Written before seeing V's post.

Last edited:

david starling

Here's an idea (not necessarily true, but a reasonable possibility): If H2 is about making your own $$$, and H8 is about enjoying other people's $$$, then if H5 is about making your own music, H11 is about enjoying other people's music. When I did play, I quickly learned how much better I played when others were enjoying it. So it works both ways. Seems like H12 should be involved for the getting "carried away" effect. How about H8 for Heavy Metal, and H9 for Gospel?:innocent:

Last edited:

Kitchy

Banned
My 27 year old son is a professional jazz guitarist and teacher. He has Sun 22 Aries, Venus 24 Aries & Mercury 0' Taurus (all conjunct within 8 degrees) in 4th house, Mercury is closest to 5th house cusp of 2' Taurus. Another astrologer once told me that the 0' Taurus near 5th was indicative of a 'musician'.

His 4th house influence is clear - he grew up with music always playing in our home - his father is a musician as well, and we often had other musicians at our home for rehearsals, parties, jam sessions, as well as music on the stereo being a constant fixture in my son's life. His father's sister gave my son a ukelele when he was 2, he used to "play" one of his father's old guitars around the same time. In 6th grade, he learned to play the djun djun and performed with his school's african drumming ensemble. At 13, his father gave him his first new guitar. At that point he was off and running and never looked back.

He has empty 5th house, but as mentioned, Taurus ruler of 5th (Venus) conjunct his Sun in 4th, so the influence of 5th is unmistakable.

(shameless mother love follows)

Last edited:

theV

My 27 year old son is a professional jazz guitarist and teacher. He has Sun 22 Aries, Venus 24 Aries & Mercury 0' Taurus (all conjunct within 8 degrees) in 4th house, Mercury is closest to 5th house cusp of 2' Taurus. Another astrologer once told me that the 0' Taurus near 5th was indicative of a 'musician'.

His 4th house influence is clear - he grew up with music always playing in our home - his father is a musician as well, and we often had other musicians at our home for rehearsals, parties, jam sessions, as well as music on the stereo being a constant fixture in my son's life. His father's sister gave my son a ukelele when he was 2, he used to "play" one of his father's old guitars around the same time. In 6th grade, he learned to play the djun djun and performed with his school's african drumming ensemble. At 13, his father gave him his first new guitar. At that point he was off and running and never looked back.

He has empty 5th house, but as mentioned, Taurus ruler of 5th (Venus) conjunct his Sun in 4th, so the influence of 5th is unmistakable.

(shameless mother love follows)

Please birth chart:whistling:? we would like to study his chart.

theV

okay - here's chart.

question of curiousity - because i've never known music or theory or such - just a great appreciation, but hoping to understand.... there is another post on the forum - musical tonality - it piqued my interest, so i asked him, what is your favorite note/chord. to the chord question - he responded 'arghh' too hard to explain. to the note question - he quickly stated "G". if that figures in - please share a thought if you got one.

His second house is occupied by fixed star Vega: In the house of gain and wealth, so money could come for the fond of art Vega. money could be gained from art.

"“It gives beneficence, ideality, hopefulness, refinement and changeability, and makes its natives grave, sober, outwardly pretentious and usually lascivious.” [1] “Vega is supposed to give artistic talents especially for music and acting, but also a liking for good living. With eccentric artists, this may lead to a debauched life. Tied up with Jupiter or Venus, Vega is said to pave the way to riches and fame. However, if other influences play a part, this wealth may be lost again” [2]"

His moon falls in Sirius which bestow native with honor, renown, wealth, ardor, faithfulness, devotion, passion opposite Neptune is clear indication for the pursuit of musical activities. But I feel as a mother you might have been absent or dominating figure.

Kitchy

Banned
His second house is occupied by fixed star Vega: In the house of gain and wealth, so money could come for the fond of art Vega. money could be gained from art.

"“It gives beneficence, ideality, hopefulness, refinement and changeability, and makes its natives grave, sober, outwardly pretentious and usually lascivious.” [1] “Vega is supposed to give artistic talents especially for music and acting, but also a liking for good living. With eccentric artists, this may lead to a debauched life. Tied up with Jupiter or Venus, Vega is said to pave the way to riches and fame. However, if other influences play a part, this wealth may be lost again” [2]"

His moon falls in Sirius which bestow native with honor, renown, wealth, ardor, faithfulness, devotion, passion opposite Neptune is clear indication for the pursuit of musical activities. But I feel as a mother you might have been absent or dominating figure.

So far, he hasn't lived a debauched life, as far as I know. I keep him honest with himself, as any mom should.

"But I feel as a mother you might have been absent or dominating figure."

the latter :sad:, but note this is HIS drive for creative expression (1st/5th) his music - not mine - to overcome his 4th house domination of the mother (moon-pluto you are speaking of?)

I envisioned him as a professional athlete, because of his speed and grace and excellent natural abilities in sports and the acclaim he received for his physical skills as a child.

He chose music, which I knew nothing about - HIS passion. Bravo for him. He has done well with it. I like to think my domination was to never let him sell himself short in Any thing.

I like the asteroid you mentioned that I never knew of. I hoped that of him and encouraged it, blindly, I guess. Sirius. His key character trait, spelled differently, with that stellium cap in 1st.

I told him, everyday of his young life that he was old enough to understand -
'there are people who wake up everyday in life and say, "I can't believe I get paid to do what I love" , and following, that I told him, "and there is no reason you can't be one of them."

I always wonder with him, what came first, the chicken or the egg? But this is not meant to be about his mother - but rather back to the original question of musicians/music and the houses they occupy.

Thank you though, extra special thanks, The V - for adding some light on the asteroids to this mix.

Last edited:

Kitchy

Banned
Moving forward, for sake of Starling's original query and not my dominating motherhood.....:alien:

Cohen writes about King David. Does anyone know what King David's 5th house look like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrLk4vdY28Q

astro_2atw_01_leonard_cohen.67404.4459.gif

theV

So far, he hasn't lived a debauched life, as far as I know. I keep him honest with himself, as any mom should.

"But I feel as a mother you might have been absent or dominating figure."

the latter :sad:, but note this is HIS drive for creative expression (1st/5th) his music - not mine - to overcome his 4th house domination of the mother (moon-pluto you are speaking of?)

I envisioned him as a professional athlete, because of his speed and grace and excellent natural abilities in sports and the acclaim he received for his physical skills as a child.

He chose music, which I knew nothing about - HIS passion. Bravo for him. He has done well with it. I like to think my domination was to never let him sell himself short in Any thing.

I like the asteroid you mentioned that I never knew of. I hoped that of him and encouraged it, blindly, I guess. Sirius. His key character trait, spelled differently, with that stellium cap in 1st.

I told him, everyday of his young life that he was old enough to understand -
'there are people who wake up everyday in life and say, "I can't believe I get paid to do what I love" , and following, that I told him, "and there is no reason you can't be one of them."

I always wonder with him, what came first, the chicken or the egg? But this is not meant to be about his mother - but rather back to the original question of musicians/music and the houses they occupy.

Thank you though, extra special thanks, The V - for adding some light on the asteroids to this mix.

OH I am so sorry if you were hurt by my words. I didn't intended to. I was trying to post what Astrology says about the placement of Moon 8th house opposite Neptune/Saturn. I might have gone off topic, and It is my mistake. I was talking about MoonNeptune and the imaginative, creative side of its sphere, then i delved in possibility of the absence of parents that is usually found in this combo. Howerver, Moon neptune shares a strong psychic bond with their mother, or she herself (moon) could be a creative force in his life(neptune), encourage him to pursue neptunian activities( music and art).

When I mentioned dominating, I meant moon8th house. But it is all my fault. I asked to examine his musical abilities, and I went off topic talking about his relationship with you.

These are fixed stars, but there are Asteroid for music which reminded me to check them. He has a lot beneficial Fixed stars which is good.

I'm sorry again, hope I didn't upset you. From this comments, I am sure you are a proud mom, and I pray to god he keeps him safe.

wilsontc

Staff member
Back to astrology, to all

All,

Please get back to astrology. This thread is not about music, it's about how astrological houses indicate musical ability. If you want to rap about your favorite music or why you don't care about music, do it in the Chat forum. I have deleted the many off-topic remarks.

Back on topic,

Tim

david starling

Speaking of the Irish and music: Van Morrison.
Now about those Houses...I have adopted Whole-signs, simply because it's the method that works best from my own perspective. Didn't know about it until joining the Community, and was doing without Houses altogether and getting good results Natally. But Houses add another, useful dimension. I know not everyone agrees with Whole-signs, and not everyone agrees with the idea that the Houses are linked directly to the Signs themselves, but I'm not only using it, but emphasizing it as well. So many types of music. It follows that each House would have its own Sounds. The Water-sign Houses would have an Emotional ambience; Fire-signs Energizing; Air-signs Mentally stimulating; and for Earth, possibly a mix of all three. H5 is known for performing, for creating entertainment. Since (in this view) it's Leo's House, the music of the House itself would be Energizing. By contrast, H12 would be "soulful" and evoke Emotion. H3, Gemini's House would be Jazz. H11, Aquarius, Classical. To test this theory (which works in my own very limited sampling), if you had to choose your Chart's most influential House, does this pattern match your favorite music to that House's ambience? Or, any other opinions on the matter?

Blaze

Account Closed
*Cough Cough*

So...

I've got Virgo in the 5th house with it's ruler at home in Gemini in the 2nd house. When I was younger I used to hate music. Saw no reason for anyone to sing or rap or w/e. My mind is very practical and I couldn't stand doing something like listening to music for "fun". That all changed when I got older though. Now I can happily enjoy some of the sounds of an older generation- as well as some of the more modern forms of music.

A lot of singers I do like tend to make good aspects to my Venus, Moon and or Mercury. Moon is on the cusp of the 4th and 5th while Venus and Mercury dance around in the 2nd--in Gemini.

Edit- Oh, I have zero singing skill now, but when I was younger my singing voice was very smooth and "soulful". Not sure if this is due to my Taurus asc, however as it's ruling planet is in Gemini.

Last edited:

conspiracy theorist

By placidus, 2nd house ruled by Pisces Saturn in 3rd. Uranus, Neptune, Moon in 2nd. Venus is Cap rules the 5th and MC.

I've been into electronic music for as long as I can remember. I recall when I was a munchkin my mom had this trance tape she got from her cousin in the U.K and I couldn't get enough of it.

My enjoyment for the genre solidified when I had a trippy dream which ended with a reddish- orange moon heading straight for the earth with the song crocodile - underworld playing in the background.

I'm also into drums, rap, rock and other "energizing" genres.

As to creating music, when I was 5 I was apart of a school group who meddled at the national championships. It was for folk music (which now I can't listen to). I also was pretty good at the recorder and the music teacher wanted me to be apart of the school band or something (this was 3rd grade) too bad I was tardy and generally didn't give a hoot.

This days, I'd like to learn how to play the drums but opportunities are slim there.

noraleader

Banned
i hope tim sees that this "deeper analysis of the nature of music" is extremely pertinent and fundamental to an understanding of musical aptitude in astrology and leaves this conversation on the board..

In other words, there is no house that corresponds to music? Gotcha. What about planet?

commoditisation is a tremendous problem in its effect on envaluation (perhaps we could take "a" and "problem" out of that statement for objectivity). if something is worth money, there is often a generalised sentiment throughout society to maintain this envaluation, eg. what is and what isn't astrology, what is, and what isn't music, even when we are not charging money for it ourselves.

i think it would be better to target the inquiry into "planets that pertain to *influence*" or perhaps "entrainment". and there, we can see that this requires an interest and a sense of potentiation to enact, and is of a profoundly wide scope in the analysis of character, behaviour and identity. perhaps too wide to say that it is anything other than generally human, or vital.

can we say that virgos are less apt to engage in entrainment activities than leos? it's extremely subject to context, i don't think it's practical to make a discernment as i beleive it's obvious there is a wide set of vital factors that bear here. but this is an astrology site and of course technical, distended enquiry is the order of the day.

simply, as someone whose life's work is the study of memetic transference, i feel obliged to point out that music is not just "wonderful creativity we happen to value," that a much wider understanding is appropriate when attempting to truthfully identify the relation of "musicality" to astrology.

Whatever music "is" it's obvious that you have some who create it as well those who enjoy it and even those who don't like it. Are they no differences between them.
i've seen dozens of "empowerment" programs where people are made to feel reauthorised through creating music (in the 1980's, "men's groups" where men would go off in the forest and drum and say men things were trending).

and truly i put forth that this is precisely because music is used to sell, to lead, as semantic authority and model.. remember how in the eighties, high schools had like, three social classes and all had their own kinds of music.. like mods/rockers in the 60's, "maybe these classes are manufactured to add malleable devinition to social vectors" but let's not go into tavistock here -

the shyster has to stay one step ahead of the marks in terms of definition, the ability to define, and redefine. it is better to corroborate feelings of inadequacy, inability, ineptness, whatever you can..

Some would say it is more fundamental than language. Don't you think this view has something to do with your Venus being in the heart of the sun?
if we look at acoustic spaces from caves to vocal tracts to the syrinx, we see that even forms which are not approximated "linear resonators" have the ability to produce signals similar in nature.

what we could call formantisation, or emphasis on points in the harmonic series, even if we have inharmonic partials, "could be" a more fundamental communication than language, and perhaps something so fundamental it is "superliminal" or so common we fail to give it our attention. :)

generally, biological organisms have transducers designed to receive the frequencies that species generates in communication.. there are moths that produce extremely loud clicks (eg. 112 dB iirc) above the range of human hearing.

so, as we can admit, we often pay attention to a narrower field of signals than what is presented to us.

i suppose it doesn't matter what you call it.. language, music, presence, awareness. i like to say, "attention is the most valuable commodity in the universe". and, metaphysically, that is only the beginning of a deeper consideration beyond the scope of worldly communication :p

Would you say that with the same amount of blood, sweat and tears I could have been as great as Beethoven? You don't believe that there are some who are born with a greater talent of "using a mechanism to transduce energy into audible vibrations"?
first, i want to thank you sincerely for reading and considering my post.. it is my place, as a social advocate, to "work with" the idea that some of us are empowered and some of us are disempowered. the way you say your singing voice became worse i would say has to do with your changing social context, being part of a larger world than the nurturing home, immediate family, a place where social pressures ask you to pipe down, and not presume you are of equal talent to the icons. so.... i would say "there is no difference in innate ability" because i champion empowerment... truthfully, i see little outside of social forces that allow one talent to flourish and another not to.

given my admitted relativity of perspective, i would say to honestly answer this, i think we cannot without addressing the consideration of all causality in existence, why one person is here and another there.

but, we can look at eg. steiner, who believed that music should be used generally in education. i have for decades championed that audio synthesis be used generally in education, as it immediately transfers appreciation between ideal/theoretical forms and physical forms.. we can immediately hear all of this math in the world and integrate it.

Back in high school, my friends and I would spout of cheesy ryhmes off a beat during lunch time. While we were fooling around, I can't square that we were taking advantage of each other.
be careful about how you understand "influence" - or "in-flowing" !! it doesn't necessarily mean malice.

but why not? :) indian gurus speak about "the trap of intellect", i think we entrain ourselves frequently in pride, perhaps you were engaging in a celebration of knowledge, cleverness, or perhaps you were "influencing" each other in a more positive, uplifting way, to feel capable, empowered, of accomplishing things that envaluated persons accomplish.. "see, we're just as good as those phony idols."

a word on entrainment..

like the bobby mcferrin "baaa" thing, we often focus on one thing, so that other things ("superliminal" is a nifty term) seem superfluous and pass out critical evaluation. the relationship between bpm and heart rate is so fundamental to music, but because msuic is so much more complex than this, we often fail to even consider it.. we're more focused on the lyrics, or nifty tiimbres, clever/keen samples et c. so we totally space on bpm to heart rate.

Is that all music is though? I've heard a lot of music and I can't say they've all had that common denominator of influence to them.

back to "in flowing" - influence, entrainment isn't something we're always conscious of.. sometimes we chat with other people to solidify/confirm somethnig within ourselves... if i make and try to sell music, it may have more to do with my desire to feel like a valuable member of society or self image more than influencing you.. and as such, partake in a ritual of producing the appropriate symbols et c. to feel "like a proper human being".

jupiterasc, definition of music as sounds arranged in time so as to be evocative -
some guy revving his muscle car qualifies. anything that moves produces sound, if your ears are good enough, and we know that there are persons who happily define anything as music, see life as dance, and such. truthfully, it is not unknown for people revving their car engine to do so with the intent for it to be appreciated by others as well as themselves, and that the timing and expression can be intentful and composed.

iirc it was genesis p-orridge that gave the "two points in time" (i think he may have said "beats") definition, but, as we know, a performance doesn't necessarily end so discretely, but continues, in the subsequent actions, or in our hearts, so that our selected terminii are certainly as arbitrary as our caprice. which is why i say, two points define a line..

..in composition, space, silence, is as ("or maybe more!") meaningful than signal.

i know this is all very long winded, but i hope you can see, it is not to celebrate this or that, but because i strongly feel that the commoditisation of music *and now audio* as much of what is retailed in recordings can be extremely lax in the "arranged/intentful" arena (eg. recordings of forest sounds, synthetic music produced with stochastic processes..) exemplifies the "expansion" (preexisting, out of time) of musical form/consideration to go far beyond our ideas of trained performers and a finite set of resonators/instruments.

if public enemy's dj in the 80's can make a record by placing sequences of old jazz records next to each other with a drum machine beat, (this is a gross simplification, those recordings are actually rather complex), the region between "musical peformance" and "musical appreciation" begins to grow indistinct..

..continuing technologies and expressions (famous avant garde examples eg. john cage) must broaden our consideration of "what music is" to a point where we really must redefine "what a musician is" just as well ;) :biggrin::w00t::love::ninja::alien::kissing::surprised::andy::lol:

you see?

certainly, i can see my anti-commoditisation as being "cynical," but it's really more, gregarious, to empower those who have been disenfranchised, who have stopped singing at an early age and lost their empowering throat chakra.

yo entirely benevolent y'all, "and they say i'm argumentative" i'm a trouble ender.

Last edited:

conspiracy theorist

i think it would be better to target the inquiry into "planets that pertain to *influence*" or perhaps "entrainment". and there, we can see that this requires an interest and a sense of potentiation to enact, and is of a profoundly wide scope in the analysis of character, behaviour and identity. perhaps too wide to say that it is anything other than generally human, or vital.

In my view, astrology actually does a good job of this. Sure, if everyone wanted, they could learn to ride a bicycle, barring any physical deformities. But how much of those people have the interest and will( a sense of potentiation to enact) to become professional bmx riders? We might see a strong Mars, or configurations that show an inclination/love of speed/movement and travelling.

can we say that virgos are less apt to engage in entrainment activities than leos? it's extremely subject to context, i don't think it's practical to make a discernment as i beleive it's obvious there is a wide set of vital factors that bear here. but this is an astrology site and of course technical, distended enquiry is the order of the day.

The thing about that comparison of Leos and Virgos is that "real" Astrology goes way deeper than just the sun signs. You also have the other 6/9 planets to contend with, the houses they fall, the signs they're in, the configurations that they make as well as things like lots, dodeks, harmonics, et cetera. All of these things provides a context where that Leo man or that Virgo Woman may very well be inclined to entertainment... or not. It's why methodological reductionism and astrology don't mesh well, because while a Leo Sun means something in and of itself, a chart isn't *only* Sun in Leo.

simply, as someone whose life's work is the study of memetic transference, i feel obliged to point out that music is not just "wonderful creativity we happen to value," that a much wider understanding is appropriate when attempting to truthfully identify the relation of "musicality" to astrology.

Okay

i've seen dozens of "empowerment" programs where people are made to feel reauthorised through creating music (in the 1980's, "men's groups" where men would go off in the forest and drum and say men things were trending).

and truly i put forth that this is precisely because music is used to sell, to lead, as semantic authority and model.. remember how in the eighties, high schools had like, three social classes and all had their own kinds of music.. like mods/rockers in the 60's, "maybe these classes are manufactured to add malleable devinition to social vectors" but let's not go into tavistock here -

the shyster has to stay one step ahead of the marks in terms of definition, the ability to define, and redefine. it is better to corroborate feelings of inadequacy, inability, ineptness, whatever you can..

So if I am understanding you here, you are saying that "the powers that be" (whoever they really are) are placing society under some kind of hegelian dialectic where they give the populace choices, which includes the so -called "alternative scenes"?

I don't have the same view that shysters have the monopoly on music although most people seem to only pay attention to the "mainstream". What about folk music that has its roots in the culture of the people? I doubt shysters have their hand in that pie.

first, i want to thank you sincerely for reading and considering my post.. it is my place, as a social advocate, to "work with" the idea that some of us are empowered and some of us are disempowered. the way you say your singing voice became worse i would say has to do with your changing social context, being part of a larger world than the nurturing home, immediate family, a place where social pressures ask you to pipe down, and not presume you are of equal talent to the icons. so.... i would say "there is no difference in innate ability" because i champion empowerment... truthfully, i see little outside of social forces that allow one talent to flourish and another not to.

The post about losing the singing voice wasn't me. "I would say there is no difference in innate ability because I champion empowerment". <-- A scenario: There are 30 boys who come from the same community and they all play football everyday, yet still Gavin dribbles better than the rest and no one can kick harder than Jamie. They are all "empowered" in that they have the same opportunities but still there are those who have stronger aptitudes than others. Is there no place for nature in your world view?

given my admitted relativity of perspective, i would say to honestly answer this, i think we cannot without addressing the consideration of all causality in existence, why one person is here and another there.

Yeah, if I was *there* I would be Beethoven. But I'm *here* so I'm conspiracy theorist.

but, we can look at eg. steiner, who believed that music should be used generally in education. i have for decades championed that audio synthesis be used generally in education, as it immediately transfers appreciation between ideal/theoretical forms and physical forms.. we can immediately hear all of this math in the world and integrate it.

Heh, in medieval times the quadrivium was taught in universities. Arithmetic, Geometry, Music and Astronomy (which was astrology). Music and Astronomy , maybe they should bring it back in schools :).

but why not? :) indian gurus speak about "the trap of intellect", i think we entrain ourselves frequently in pride, perhaps you were engaging in a celebration of knowledge, cleverness, or perhaps you were "influencing" each other in a more positive, uplifting way, to feel capable, empowered, of accomplishing things that envaluated persons accomplish.. "see, we're just as good as those phony idols."

Eh, we were just having a laugh. As far as I know, we weren't making any statements with our antics. Too much self-consciousness would have killed the fun. But these days I see a lot of people doings things to "make a statement" and it all seems so impotent and contrived.