Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Chinese Astrology

Chinese Astrology 本板块使用英语讨论中国占星术。This forum will hold discussion on Chinese Astrology in English language.

View Poll Results: Do you take chinese rising signs into consideration?
Yes, I know a lot about them and can provide many examples. 1 5.56%
Yes, I don't consider them much but this aspect is still quite important to me. 2 11.11%
Yes, but I don't make them a priority when analysing people's charts. 0 0%
I've heard of them but I don't usually take them into account. 2 11.11%
No, I've never heard of them at all. 13 72.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 01-09-2013, 01:19 PM

Chinese ascendants

Chinese ascendants are an important factor when considering celebrities' external appearences, demeanor and comportment...

For example, typical OX facial characteristics would be like the following:

In fact, they can also be more significant than western ascendants in that
- they aren't influenced or shrouded by the effect of neighboring aspects or planets that would come to influence traditional wester ascendants
- all rising signs are as frequent as each other; this is obviously not the case with western ascendants, as some (namely in Europe) are considerably more frequent than others - Leo to Scorpio.

... Nonetheless, I was wondering how importantly this often neglected important aspect is taken into account by astrologers...
please answer the poll

Last edited by vox; 01-09-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Unread 01-10-2013, 01:28 AM

Re: Chinese ascendants

Are you using the hour pillar for the Ascendant?

Alice
Unread 01-10-2013, 09:31 AM

According to these times:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_zodiac#Hours

You'll then have to convert these hours (from chinese summer time) to your local time zone (DST) and take off 60 min if you were born outside DST.

Celebrity times of birth are available from:
www.astrotheme.com/

vox
Unread 01-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Account Closed

Really? The books that I had on this said use local time irrespective of global location...

Horse ascendent
Unread 01-10-2013, 12:39 PM

Which books?

And what if the time zone is slightly offline with one's birth location?

Write down your birth details and I'll give you your real ascendant.
The Following User Says Thank You to vox For This Useful Post:
byjove (01-11-2013)
Unread 01-10-2013, 09:49 PM

You need to use true local time or sundial time, not the time zone, which is a derived time for convenience in any location.

For example, my normal time zone is -9.30 but the actual true local time is 9.14.20 - over a quarter of an hour's difference so if a person is born at the change over of the hour pillar this can make a big difference.

Alice

The Imperial Astrologer is a Chinese astrology program made for Western people so is very easy to understand. This easily calculates the Four Pillars using true local time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alice McDermott For This Useful Post:
Andrea_ (06-06-2013)
Unread 01-11-2013, 10:50 AM

This is an interesting topic,

but, where exactly is it claimed that the rising sign depends on local sundial time as opposed to Universal time?

vox

Last edited by vox; 01-11-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Unread 01-11-2013, 11:44 PM

When chinese astrology evolved there was no such thing as time zones, all time was taken from the position of the Sun at any given time of day and this was determined by Sundials.

If you calculate the pillars from Universal time you must make sure you are using the actual location time rather than the clock time used in any location.

The true location time is worked out from the longitude for example, my city is at 138E36 so to determine the true longitude time you multiply by 4 and divide by 60 to turn degrees into time. This results in a time of 9 hours 14 minutes 24 seconds ahead of GMT. Sundial time would be the same.

Alice
Unread 01-12-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vox View Post
This is an interesting topic, but, where exactly is it claimed that the rising sign depends on local sundial time as opposed to Universal time?
vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice McDermott View Post
When chinese astrology evolved there was no such thing as time zones, all time was taken from the position of the Sun at any given time of day and this was determined by Sundials.

If you calculate the pillars from Universal time you must make sure you are using the actual location time rather than the clock time used in any location.

The true location time is worked out from the longitude for example, my city is at 138E36 so to determine the true longitude time you multiply by 4 and divide by 60 to turn degrees into time. This results in a time of 9 hours 14 minutes 24 seconds ahead of GMT. Sundial time would be the same.
Alice

Useful link to Table of "The Equation of Time" http://www.wsanford.com/~wsanford/exo/sundials/equation_of_time.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Unread 01-12-2013, 01:18 AM

I realise i had heard of the Asc -the 4 pillars??
mine i guess as a Tiger - Coming down the Mountain is :
{Monkey (Shenshi): 15:00 to 16:59. This is the time when Monkeys are lively.}
AND i took this from Wikipedia.
My local time of birth was 16.25 in Hong Kong, and there was Summer time, so it makes time difference but as said below, it makes sense that it is SUNDIAL time, as that is how the original readings were taken. However my maths is not what it used to be, so i need help if getting more complex
Unread 01-12-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice McDermott

Alice

Sorry, that's not quite what I meant.

To elicit clearer:
The rising hours would be universal, not local, in the sense that they would happen at the same time, anywhere on the planet (although local time would differ), not in the sense that ascendants fall during the same local hours on the planet.

So, if you like, the Rooster ascendant would start and end at the same time anywhere on the planet, be it 10am GMT (DST), 5am Eastern time, 6pm Beijing time... for 2 hours long

I've tested many celebrities from these hours, which seems to give quite convincing results.

I find this approach somewhat more plausible and original than according to local sundial time (which would involve more complicated mechanisms, accounting for the fact that sundial hours vary according to length of day etc) although I'd like to hear your thoughts on this field of concern.

vox

Last edited by vox; 01-12-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Unread 01-12-2013, 11:51 PM

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean.

for example, in my city it is 10.15 am on Sunday, 13th January but in Los Angeles it is 7.47 pm on Saturday 12th January - are you saying that the same hour pillar is operative for both cities?

Alice
Unread 01-13-2013, 08:39 AM

At this moment, every newborn on the planet is born under the same ascendant: the Monkey hour; which will change at 9am GMT.

vox
Unread 01-13-2013, 08:49 AM

Interesting, but confusing. I remember from an astrology interpretation online that I was born during the DOG hours... So I hope that was right.

So, I look like a dog
Hmmm....

Are there any descriptions anywhere online so I can judge?
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
At this moment, every newborn on the planet is born under the same ascendant: the Monkey hour; which will change at 9am GMT.

vox
Why GMT? This is just an convenient time line decided in approximately 1876. Previous to that most countries in the world worked with Sundial time.

The hour pillars are decided by even two hour blocks but aligned to the 24 hour day; i.e. the Monkey hour is always between 3-5 pm wherever in the world the person resides. Why do you think it changes at 9.OO am GMT? 7.00 - 9.00 am is the hour of the Dragon and 9.00 am- 11.00 am is the hour of the Snake.

These two hour blocks are based on the rotation of the Earth and echo the longer cycles of the year, i.e. the hour of the Tiger, between 3-5 am (pre sunrise) echoes the Month of the Tiger in winter in the Northern Hemisphere. The hour of the Rabbit, between 5-7 am (sunrise) echoes the month of the Rabbit which occurs in Spring in the Northern Hemisphere. The hour of the Monkey between 3-5 pm during the bright time of the day echoes the Month of the Monkey in high summer in the Northern hemisphere ... and so on.

Alice
Unread 02-11-2013, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Horse...not exactly what I was hoping for lol
Sagittarius is my #1 dominant sign, Jupiter #2 dominant planet! Jupiter, Uranus & Neptune in the 9th. One day I'll travel the world! Japan you're first
Unread 02-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyo.lights View Post
Horse...not exactly what I was hoping for lol
I'm in the horse hour too, it's linked a bit like Gemini ASC. It's considered very sharp mentally, very independent (sometimes too much) but must avoid using words harshly e.g. sarcasm.
Unread 02-23-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byjove View Post
I'm in the horse hour too, it's linked a bit like Gemini ASC. It's considered very sharp mentally, very independent (sometimes too much) but must avoid using words harshly e.g. sarcasm.
Oh okay, I can definitely relate to that!
Sagittarius is my #1 dominant sign, Jupiter #2 dominant planet! Jupiter, Uranus & Neptune in the 9th. One day I'll travel the world! Japan you're first
Unread 02-23-2013, 07:13 PM

Location: fully tired of dry facts. Also, I live in a cupboard

Ok, so I'm a Wood Boar, I was born at the Dragon hour without converting the time...

Dragon (Chenshi): 07:00 to 08:59. This is the time when Dragons are hovering in the sky to give rain.

But if I convert it to the Chinese hour... my country is +2 GMT, China is +8, which means I have to add +4.... = 14:45 meaning now:
Goat (Weishi): 13:00 to 14:59. This is the time when Goats eat grass and urinate frequently.

=))

So yeah...I wonder what's better, Pig with Dragon asc or Pig with Goat asc? :d I kind of feel that the Goat thing suits me better...

I found a site that gives a short, but nice personality report with your Chinese Year/Ascendant combined: click

Last edited by Andrea_; 03-31-2015 at 02:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrea_ For This Useful Post:
byjove (02-25-2013)
Unread 05-22-2013, 12:50 PM

I have a question regarding the 4 pillars:

The hours tend to vary according to the longditude which one was born on, but on some, they obviously fall evenly (eg. 14:00 to 16:00 and not 13:54 - 15:54 or 14:02 - 16:02...). This is the case of London.

Is it a coincidence that the only longditudes these hours will fall evenly correspond for example to the exact longditude of the city of London (or the middle point of any other conventional time zone)?

thanks
Unread 05-26-2013, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Which books?

And what if the time zone is slightly offline with one's birth location?

Write down your birth details and I'll give you your real ascendant.

Vox would you be willing to help me with my Chinese Ascendant? I had all of this info written down at one time but have since lost it.

Born 2/19/1964 @11:30pm in Los Angeles California and I know I am a Wood Dragon but that is all I remember. I'd really appreciate this info !

Blessings
Serafin5

Alicia Michelle Serafin ~ Facebook
Unread 05-26-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serafin5 View Post
Vox would you be willing to help me with my Chinese Ascendant? I had all of this info written down at one time but have since lost it.

Born 2/19/1964 @11:30pm in Los Angeles California and I know I am a Wood Dragon but that is all I remember. I'd really appreciate this info !

Blessings
Serafin5
According to this site you are a wood Rat rising

http://traditionalfengshui.co.za/fou...rssoftware.htm

From what I understand, other minor aspects are are also mentioned.

for your info: Aside from all sharing similar experiences, could you identify the additional link between these three celebrities?

Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Paine, Susan Anthony

They are all Aquarius Dragons.
Unread 05-26-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
According to this site you are a wood Rat rising

http://traditionalfengshui.co.za/fou...rssoftware.htm

From what I understand, other minor aspects are are also mentioned.

for your info: Aside from all sharing similar experiences, could you identify the additional link between these three celebrities?

Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Paine, Susan Anthony

They are all Aquarius Dragons.
Ah nice Im in good company except that according to traditional Tropical astrology I am considered a 0deg Pisces; Vedic/Sidereal I am an Aquarian, not to mention until that mystery was solved I have always identified myself as Aquarius than Pisces.

Thanks for the Rat Asc info so much and blessings to you!
Serafin5

Unread 05-28-2013, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serafin5 View Post

Blessings
Serafin5
Hi Serafin5

your Hour Pillar is Yang Water Rat; your Day Pillar is Yang Earth Dog; your month Pillar is Yang Fire Tiger and your Year Pillar is Yang Wood Dragon.

Attached in pdf is your Four Pillars and analysis.

Alice
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Serafin Four Pillars.pdf (17.5 KB, 14 views)
Unread 05-29-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice McDermott View Post
Hi Serafin5

your Hour Pillar is Yang Water Rat; your Day Pillar is Yang Earth Dog; your month Pillar is Yang Fire Tiger and your Year Pillar is Yang Wood Dragon.

Attached in pdf is your Four Pillars and analysis.

Alice
Thank you do much Alice! Super sweet of you to get that info for me I really appreciate it and any work/time you spent.

Blessings!
Serafin 5

PS - do you know what it all means, I mean all of it as a sort of chart? Maybe a site referral?

Thanks in advance! S5

Tags
ascendants, chinese