A Discussion Thread About Racism in America

david starling

You're right Dirius, I have been silent about her statement. I did not want to agree with you because I disagreed with several statements you made. The statement she made was racist by the dictionary definition of racist - "a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race." There is really no getting around it. Thank you for being persistent.

That's not true racism in and of itself. True racism is acting based on one's opinion of someone's race.

Just thinking it it is racial prejudice, either pro or con, but does no harm unless it affects how you act towards someone.

Dirius is acting like a member of the thought police! :rightful:

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
That's not true racism in and of itself. True racism is acting based on one's opinion of someone's race.

Just thinking it it is racial prejudice, either pro or con, and does no harm unless it affects how you act towards someone.

Dirius is acting like a member of the thought police! :rightful:

Race IAT is used to measure racism entirely by ms speed of thoughts. :smile:

petosiris

Banned
In an experiment run by Judd, Park, Ryan, Brauer, and Kraus (1995), perceptions of African Americans held by European Americans show that they held hostile beliefs indicating that they viewed African Americans as hostile, cliquish, irresponsible, and loud. However, the same European American participants held benevolent beliefs that African Americans were athletic, musical, religious, and had strong family ties. The study was also done with African American participants who were asked to share their beliefs about European Americans. The African Americans said that European Americans were self-centered, greedy, stuffy/uptight, and sheltered from the real world. However, the same African Americans held benevolent beliefs that European Americans were intelligent, organized, independent, and financially well-off. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benevolent_prejudice

david starling

In an experiment run by Judd, Park, Ryan, Brauer, and Kraus (1995), perceptions of African Americans held by European Americans show that they held hostile beliefs indicating that they viewed African Americans as hostile, cliquish, irresponsible, and loud. However, the same European American participants held benevolent beliefs that African Americans were athletic, musical, religious, and had strong family ties. The study was also done with African American participants who were asked to share their beliefs about European Americans. The African Americans said that European Americans were self-centered, greedy, stuffy/uptight, and sheltered from the real world. However, the same African Americans held benevolent beliefs that European Americans were intelligent, organized, independent, and financially well-off. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benevolent_prejudice

I really like the use of the terms "African-American" and "European-American", instead of color-coding them as "Black" and "White".

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Lee died in 1870, as Democrats and ex-Confederates
were commencing a wave of terrorist violence
that would ultimately reimpose their domination over the southern states.

The KKK was founded in 1866
there is no evidence Lee ever spoke up against it.
On the contrary

he darkly intimated in his interview with the Herald
that the South might be moved to violence again
if peace did not proceed on its terms. That was prescient.
Lee is a pivotal figure in American history worthy of study.

Neither the man who really existed
nor the fictionalized tragic hero of the Lost Cause :smile:
is a hero worthy of a statue in a place of honor.
As one Union veteran angrily put it in 1903
when Pennsylvania was considering
placing a statue of Lee at Gettysburg,

“....If you want historical accuracy as your excuse
then place upon this field
a statue of Lee holding in his hand the banner under which he fought

bearing the legend:

‘....We wage this war
against a government conceived in liberty and dedicated to humanity....’..”

WOW!!!

Black protester carries white man through angry crowd to safety :smile:
to 'stop someone from being killed - his life was under threat'.

42fd0160222d4765a5a00cec91731cc3_xl.jpg

Last edited:

eekndyn

I really like the use of the terms "African-American" and "European-American", instead of color-coding them as "Black" and "White".

Why use the term African American, or European American when most are born in America making us American.

As for the post that was deleted, which I won't call you out. If you live in America you are privileged. Doesn't matter what race you are. If you have good morals you are privileged. If your parents worked their asses off to keep you out of poverty, you are privileged. As I said before, you treat others by the context of their character not by the race. Most normalized people do not wake up and think oh today I will make it a point and ruin the lives other another because they are different than me. If you want to stop racism stop talking about and treat others the way you want to be treated.

david starling

Why use the term African American, or European American when most are born in America making us American.

As for the post that was deleted, which I won't call you out. If you live in America you are privileged. Doesn't matter what race you are. If you have good morals you are privileged. If your parents worked their asses off to keep you out of poverty, you are privileged. As I said before, you treat others by the context of their character not by the race. Most normalized people do not wake up and think oh today I will make it a point and ruin the lives other another because they are different than me. If you want to stop racism stop talking about and treat others the way you want to be treated.

It's about one's cultural heritage.

Dirius

You're right Dirius, I have been silent about her statement. I did not want to agree with you because I disagreed with several statements you made. The statement she made was racist by the dictionary definition of racist - "a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race." There is really no getting around it. Thank you for being persistent.

In aquarius7000 defense, she didn't say it out of malice or hatred - and it was a minor thing to be honest.

But there is this tendency to ignore racism that comes from "left-leaning" individuals. Or racism that comes from minorities. Or from progressive politicians.

petosiris

Banned
Here is an example of a relative large and growing racist religious group of black people that claims to follow Christ.

''On December 10, 2019, a kosher market in Jersey City was attacked by two individuals. The store's owner, an employee, and one customer were killed, as was Detective Joseph Seals. There are reports that the alleged perpetrators may have been members of the Black Hebrew Israelite movement.

There are many sects which refer to themselves with variations of the name Black Hebrew Israelites. Some, but not all, are outspoken anti-Semites and racists. It should be emphasized that the extremist and anti-Semitic sects of Black Hebrew Israelites are unrelated to the thousands of black Jews and other Jews of color in the US, who are genuine members of the Jewish faith. Furthermore, they should not be confused with Ethiopian Jews who mostly live in Israel today. Anti-Semitic Black Hebrew Israelites assert that white people are agents of Satan, Jews are liars and false worshipers of God, and blacks are the true “chosen people” and are racially superior to other ethnicities.'' - https://www.adl.org/resources/backgrounders/black-hebrew-israelites

This movement along the fellow vitriolic nation of Islam deserve a bit stronger condemnation.

JUPITERASC

A good reason for using "African-American" instead of "Black".
On the contrary :smile:
The term “African American” has a tendency to create
a disposition for implicit bias
by making “Black” people seem recent immigrants.

“White” people are not called European Americans
but instead are called Americans of European descent.

and

using “White” instead of “European American”
is to identify
in such a way
as to put “White” people
in an elite catagory
inferring “Whites” are the original Americans.