Most elevated planet

UnluckyGirl

Yes, the Moon is definitely the most elevated planet, and as it rules both the Sun and ascendant in your chart, it makes even more important to the overall structure of your natal chart. The prominence of this Moon is undeniable, which is shown in more than one way.

What have you noticed about the Moon in your life?

I have very good intuition in multiple ways, it feels like a supernatural power. I understand what kind of a person someone is just by looking at his/her eyes.
I feel like I'm absorbing the energy around me without wanting to, I have low energy myself and get easily exhausted.
I could say more things but they can apply because of other aspects/placements in my chart.. I have lots of Neptune going on other than my Piscean Moon.

Domna

Mars is my most elevated planet. It conjuncts my Midheaven from the 9th house, by just one degree. Mars is in Cancer though, so not in a particularily strong position otherwise... and it is also very closely conjunct Mercury.

Considering just Mars as my most elevated planet makes little sense to me. I guess I have my daring moments, but overall Mars is not a planet that makes much of an impact on my personality. I have the temperament of a rock, the drive and passion of a sloth and the fighting spirit of a rabbit.

I guess my Mars is just so very influenced, and even dominated, by its proximity to Mercury (which rules my Gemini Sun and is in mutual reception with my Virgo Moon). I have a quick wit and a sharp tongue, strong opinions and the backbone to stand up for them. Communication is the main focus of my life. I only ever fight with my words, and usually more with conviction than any great passion. I boldly assert my opinion, but never aggressively. I work as a librarian, which I feel is my true calling in life.

Last edited:

conspiracy theorist

The conjunction melds both planetary energies together so that both manifest as a unit. In your case, the most elevated "planet" would actually be a Mercury/Mars conjunction - and everything you described about yourself sounds like a Mercury infused with the fighting spirit of Mars. Mars needn't only manifest in physical courage and daring.

Domna

The conjunction melds both planetary energies together so that both manifest as a unit. In your case, the most elevated "planet" would actually be a Mercury/Mars conjunction - and everything you described about yourself sounds like a Mercury infused with the fighting spirit of Mars. Mars needn't only manifest in physical courage and daring.

Yes, that's my take on it! Those two energies are just completely intertwined in my chart (with Mercury a bit more dominant), neither ever acts alone. So it makes sense that they act together as most elevated as well.

Interestigly enough, they are also the most elevated by declination... both are out of bounds.

Starfall

I'm debating on whether to incorporate this more into the charts I read.

The most elevated planet is the planet that is closest to the MC degree and this apparently brings said planet to prominence in the life. It's an idea that is similar to the cutting planets/high focus in the Marc Edmund Jones and singletons by hemisphere.

What is your most elevated planet and does it play a strong role in your life? Your contribution will help to advance our collective knowledge.

Well, the most elevated planet in my chart is Mercury, it's applying to the MC with about one degree or slightly less. MC Pisces, the dreaded 'Pisces Mercury'. Mercury also makes an exact trine with my ASC in Cancer. I recently finished a high-salary job in a very specific area where my boss said that I 'have a talent for explaining things'.

• I wrote poetry as a kid and won prizes
  • Throughout school and college I was debate captain, champion and judge
  • People have said since I was a kid that I was an intellectual with advanced communication skills
  • Most of my paid, professional work has been in writing, editing, news-reporting
  • I have Mercury 1 degree S square with Uranus, I adore technology, I'm fascinated by the future and have written much about tech. in my work
  • I have Mercury in the 9th, I've lived in other countries, adore it, about to move again, I speak 2 other languages
  • Mercury is also associated with movement, and despite frequent horror claims about it's placement in Pisces, I've frequently been told that I'm a good dancer, including by djs
  • Pisces I think confers some innocence and hopeful/wishful approach, and with Mercury, I think people see this in me for both good and bad reasons (the common misconception that 'kind means unintelligent', I've IQ 136, yet people say I'm imaginative and creative and if they need something that requres that, they come to me
I've seen before claims that planets from 9-11th houses could be considered 'elevated' and not just the MC. But I'll leave that theory up to practicing astrologers. I have 10th house planets and an exalted 9th planet - they make themeselves known. But, the most-elevated planet, Mercury, certainly has left a mark, yes.

Last edited:

Domna

A couple other examples from my family...

My mother has Saturn in Pisces in the 10th as the most elevated planet, conjunct Chiron. She is a struggling artist, who also struggles with bipolar disorder.

My brother has Moon in Libra in the 9th conjunct his Scorpio Midheaven. I don't feel like his Moon is as obviously influential as my Mercury/Mars or mum's Saturn... He is not at all an emotional person, or at least not emotive. Nor does he come across as very empathetic or an openly caring type of individual. However, he is very musically inclined. And I guess he has a diplomatic air about him, as well as a Libran skill for putting himself in other people's shoes and a 9th house talent for educating. Skills that he uses in his work selling assistive technologies for the visually impaired and teaching users about these technologies. He has the Uranus/Neptune/Saturn in Capricorn stellium of his generation in the 1st house, which I guess serves to explain his stoic techie personality. Saturn is also square to his Moon.

conspiracy theorist

And what if
You have no elevated planet?

What's the cutoff for elevation in your own practice - do you always strictly stick to planets in the 9th and 10th alone as qualifying for most elevated planet?

What it would mean to have no elevated planet is something that would be interesting to parse out - as a "pattern" of planetary make-up - but I can't think of any deduction that would be satisfying in explaining it.

No regard for the outside world or social standing wouldn't necessarily apply.
Perhaps not being concerned about embodying a universal principle for the collective a la Jones' description could apply.
Following an internal vision of success could be the case - a focus on personal meaningfulness of experience could apply.

In the tradition dark charts are those with both luminaries below the horizon, although other planets could certainly be elevated. Maybe you are looking at a similarly "dark" theme with these kinds of charts - a sort of night time subjectivity to them.
It would be interesting to test that inductively to see what commonalities crop up.

Last edited:

greybeard

Generally I stick to 9th & 10th house planets.

Elevation is just one among many dignities and its absence is not particularly illuminating. Like its rising cousin, elevation is an Accidental dignity.

greybeard

Essential dignities describe innate, inborn traits. They are "of the essence" of the native and fundamentally immutable. They collectively describe your "endowment".
Everyone born on any given day largely shares these traits with everyone else born on that day.

These accidental dignities (rising, elevated, angular) depend on the diurnal motion of the Earth and are therefore highly individualized, not shared.

Accidental refers to that which is adventitious or of external origin. An event or set of circumstances is generally the trigger. With close orb, signalling early occurrence, these dignities are "dispositional" and strongly influence character development. With a wider orb and consequent later occurrence they act as precipitating or provocative agents.

conspiracy theorist

Well, the most elevated planet in my chart is Mercury, it's applying to the MC with about one degree or slightly less. MC Pisces, the dreaded 'Pisces Mercury'. Mercury also makes an exact trine with my ASC in Cancer. I recently finished a high-salary job in a very specific area where my boss said that I 'have a talent for explaining things'.

• I wrote poetry as a kid and won prizes
  • Throughout school and college I was debate captain, champion and judge
  • People have said since I was a kid that I was an intellectual with advanced communication skills
  • Most of my paid, professional work has been in writing, editing, news-reporting
  • I have Mercury 1 degree S square with Uranus, I adore technology, I'm fascinated by the future and have written much about tech. in my work
  • I have Mercury in the 9th, I've lived in other countries, adore it, about to move again, I speak 2 other languages
  • Mercury is also associated with movement, and despite frequent horror claims about it's placement in Pisces, I've frequently been told that I'm a good dancer, including by djs
  • Pisces I think confers some innocence and hopeful/wishful approach, and with Mercury, I think people see this in me for both good and bad reasons (the common misconception that 'kind means unintelligent', I've IQ 136, yet people say I'm imaginative and creative and if they need something that requres that, they come to me
I've seen before claims that planets from 9-11th houses could be considered 'elevated' and not just the MC. But I'll leave that theory up to practicing astrologers. I have 10th house planets and an exalted 9th planet - they make themeselves known. But, the most-elevated planet, Mercury, certainly has left a mark, yes.

Out of curiosity, at what degree is your Mercury located?

yuriv

In all these pages, I don't think I've seen a single reference to an elevated moon, which I appear to have. Would this indicate feelings running away with one? I thought my nasty hypersensitivity was the result of the Moon sq Asc (?), not something to be compounded.

I'm inclined to believe Neptune should have this position, as I'm creative to a fault.

I've looked at all the cool pictures that should explain this to me, but it's not happening. Could someone please tell me what my most elevated planet is, and WHY?

Thanks!

Well, I had comment then, the moon would refer to being emotional, a connection to the subconscious, one's past that is, also a life ruled - influenced by cycles, patterns. Further it infers that one is in tune with death, nocturnal, shadows and one tends to absorb and reflect ‘light’ from outside of themselves. Interesting you should reactive this thread. My chiron is on the same degree with my moon. Technically I have two elevated planets if I want to.

Marc1988

My most elevated planet is Uranus, conjunct my MC, just into the tenth.

I am definitely a Uranian type. I thought that was just because I have an angular Uranus. My lifestyle is unconventional in a number of ways. Never married, probably not having kids (though those things are more due to circumstance than to conscious choice), moved a lot from age 18 into my thirties (and may move some more), and never, ever had a stable career.

Career is really where I see it, which makes sense for a tenth house/MC planet. I need variety. I've had many jobs. I am the classic job hopper, although I tend to be very committed and dependable with the work I do. Many of my jobs have been seasonal or temporary, deliberately short term. Although, I just changed jobs again (surprise, surprise!) and this one promises so much variety, I might stick with it for a while. At least until I finish herbalism school and launch what I'm going to do with that.

I once had an (amateur) astrologer tell me, just from looking at my chart, that I would be seen as an oddball, but an oddball who gets along with people (Uranus in Libra at the MC). Definitely true, although I socialize with other such oddballs, mostly, so in that mix, I'm not so odd.

Hello Osamenor,

I've been following the highest planets topic in this thread with interest.

My resume is similar to yours. Lots of job changes, oddball ways. changeable fashion.
Interest in astrology.
I too realize that my Uranus has a greater influence on me.

My highest planet for me is Neptune though ?
It is closest to my Medium Coeli.

Could you say something about this again?
My radix is there

Attachments

• Natal chart.PNG
    Natal chart.PNG
    282.5 KB · Views: 17

Humanitarian

Mine is Uranus in Pisces in 10th house, and I see that my career will be very unusual, and my dad was absent physically when I was a kid, too.

Humanitarian

Hi Katy, about that...

Where would your cut-off be in regard to the most elevated planet? Say all the planets were below the horizon and the most elevated planet is a planet in the 6th house conjunct the dsc. Would you say that this planet is acts as if the most elevated?
I think that you need to calculate distance of planets to the Imum Coeli to find the most elevated planet in the chart, so no cut-off at all.

Youareallbeautiful

Pluto for me. Scorpio in it's own house.

Personal planet... Saturn. Domiciled in 12th.

In real life I am a highly Jupiter - like person, unflappable under almost any circumstance, I keep going with my cup half full.
On the internet the opposite side of me comes out more, my serious side (Generally when I am alone this happens too).

Sun conjunct Jupiter, Midheaven in Sagittarius, Jupiter exalted in 6th.

I am a very liked person.

But I am now siding more with my sidereal chart as it seems much more accurate.

Behaviour wise, strong, determined, intelligent, non-pretentious and hard working with a love for an air of love and harmony in his surroundings. I like to put people at ease, and I even dismantle any image of me being "More than" So that others can find their feet if they need to. And I can just do and display strength when appropriate.

Sadly the internet is not this, and I tend to become argumentative as there is no reality to base anything off.

I maintain a massive cut off from personal life to my work life and I think this is Pluto and Saturn, I don't let people close to my personal life, although I can talk about some of my personal life, I am very controlled.

Ashwini Nakshatra 3rd Pada: The third pada of the Ashwini Nakshatra falls in the Gemini Navamsa. It is governed by Mercury and associated with the communicative and humour aspect of the Nakshatra. The pada endows the aspect of quick decision-making, and the native becomes an expert in various kinds of mental activities.
Translation: Born of a Horse
Symbol: Horseman
Lord: Ketu
Zodiac: Aries sign

Last edited:

Humanitarian

CT,

I could be wrong, and I have no 'links' or studies to show this, but in my experience, the most elevated planet is most 'effective' when it is a singleton of some kind as well as most elevated.

In other words, if there are a lot of 9th and 10th house planets, and one of them happens to be closest to the MC, I am not sure it has the same impact, as when there is only one planet up there at the top. If there are 4 planets in a tight stellium in the 10th, they are all elevated planets, in my experience.

also, another example=If the native's chart is a bowl pattern, and the most elevated planet is the lip of the bowl in the 7th house, then I don't see it as an elevated planet, in the same way many others are. Or in a Locomotive pattern, I would see it as more of the 'leader' of the locomotive , and the engine trying to lead. Or as the lip of the bowl and part of the opposition in the rim.

In my daughters chart, everything else is below the horizon, except for the Jupiter in the 10th. So it is a singleton and the most elevated planet. So I take that distinction of 'most elevated' into account.
Yes! My Uranus in Pisces is the most elevated planet and also the water singleton planet at the same time, and my Uranian-ness has encompassed in my life so much that it affects my public image a lot, as my friends/classmates want me to give them basically everything that they want (Pisces Midheaven w/ Uranus). I'm too Aquarian to give then all, since now, I'm way more Aquarian than Piscean, and I want to live for myself more than others now.

Cosmose

My MC is at 18 degrees Gemini. There are only two planets near it: 10th house retrograde Chiron in Cancer at 5 degrees and 9th house retrograde Jupiter in Taurus at 28 degrees.
So your most elevated planet is Jupiter and you are jupiterian.

Cosmose

My most elevated planet is Neptune, in exaltation in Sagittarius, angular, trine to Moon-Mercury and square to Mars.

No need to explain that Neptune is the first, strongest planet of my chart.
Talk about it would be too long...
But it means intuition, music, faith.

Last edited: