The changing meaning of "power" and how it relates to astrology.

The19thLaw

It seems like Mars is supposed to be seen as the planet of action and power in astrology but I think about how old astrology is, like really really old. As I have shared with a poster here, I am a big fan of Robert Greene's work, the most famous one being the 48 Laws Of Power.

Now it makes sense that Mars was originally domiciled in Aries and Scorpio.

During times when power meant physically destroying someone through battle, Aries was the sign to look to. Aries is the warrior sign and the sign meant to battle physically, which is why an Aries Mars is so common among MMA fighters. Aries is physical power, it is the classical warrior that battles through crowds and wins by his superior fighting skills.

Now I look at the more subtle Scorpio Mars which is stealthy, it cultivates fear in its opponents and hits them from the shadows. It preys on their psyche and makes them commit errors and it has the dirt on them.

Of the two, I'd say a Scorpio Mars is far better equipped to handle conflicts in the modern world that do not involve violence, things more along the lines of politics. In the modern day game of power which doesn't involve physical violence as much, I would say a Scorpio Mars is far superior to an Aries Mars.

An Aries is a baby, it has temper tantrums and makes a fool out of itself. A Scorpio is the cold and calculating type that picks out how it can get what it wants.

But is it the best?

I personally don't believe it is due to the changing times.

It seems like as soon as the age of communication and social media came about, it became less true.

The reason is that so much is out in the open these days that the second we find as a society someone is hiding something or there isn't as much dirt out there about them, we get cautious. It is like we want our leaders to be imperfect and have skeletons in their closet, if they don't, we start to wonder why they are being so secretive.

Then the meaning of power changed to someone who lives with the skeletons in their closet and defends themselves successfully while simultaneously destroying their opponents.

I'd say that the Air Signs do not get their respects at all in this case, it is actually long overdue. Whether it is the fact that Aquarius is the most common sign among American presidents or the fact that both John D Rockefeller and Genghis Khan had a Libra Mars, it makes sense.

Air signs are by nature diplomatic but diplomacy is power.

Then we look at the messenger sign of Gemini as well which I have found to be common among a lot of influential people I have met in real life.

It starts to make sense why the Air signs tend to geared towards power in the modern age of communication. They are adept at dealing with the dirt everyone has on them and brushing it off without any issues. Meanwhile, the opponent is still left drowning and unable to recover.

ardentika

It seems like Mars is supposed to be seen as the planet of action and power in astrology but I think about how old astrology is, like really really old. As I have shared with a poster here, I am a big fan of Robert Greene's work, the most famous one being the 48 Laws Of Power.

Now it makes sense that Mars was originally domiciled in Aries and Scorpio.

During times when power meant physically destroying someone through battle, Aries was the sign to look to. Aries is the warrior sign and the sign meant to battle physically, which is why an Aries Mars is so common among MMA fighters. Aries is physical power, it is the classical warrior that battles through crowds and wins by his superior fighting skills.

Now I look at the more subtle Scorpio Mars which is stealthy, it cultivates fear in its opponents and hits them from the shadows. It preys on their psyche and makes them commit errors and it has the dirt on them.

Of the two, I'd say a Scorpio Mars is far better equipped to handle conflicts in the modern world that do not involve violence, things more along the lines of politics. In the modern day game of power which doesn't involve physical violence as much, I would say a Scorpio Mars is far superior to an Aries Mars.

An Aries is a baby, it has temper tantrums and makes a fool out of itself. A Scorpio is the cold and calculating type that picks out how it can get what it wants.

But is it the best?

I personally don't believe it is due to the changing times.

It seems like as soon as the age of communication and social media came about, it became less true.

The reason is that so much is out in the open these days that the second we find as a society someone is hiding something or there isn't as much dirt out there about them, we get cautious. It is like we want our leaders to be imperfect and have skeletons in their closet, if they don't, we start to wonder why they are being so secretive.

Then the meaning of power changed to someone who lives with the skeletons in their closet and defends themselves successfully while simultaneously destroying their opponents.

I'd say that the Air Signs do not get their respects at all in this case, it is actually long overdue. Whether it is the fact that Aquarius is the most common sign among American presidents or the fact that both John D Rockefeller and Genghis Khan had a Libra Mars, it makes sense.

Air signs are by nature diplomatic but diplomacy is power.

Then we look at the messenger sign of Gemini as well which I have found to be common among a lot of influential people I have met in real life.

It starts to make sense why the Air signs tend to geared towards power in the modern age of communication. They are adept at dealing with the dirt everyone has on them and brushing it off without any issues. Meanwhile, the opponent is still left drowning and unable to recover.

Hmm that's interesting. I wonder if that's common mostly around the Pluto Scorpio generation. However I can see how thats valid. If course we don't want perfect leaders cos perfection doesn't exist. And someone who claims perfection is usually someone with many dark secrets. People want a People's person Leader. Someone who will come out with their flaws and imperfections in their life and take account for them so that we can relate and trust.

Also I'm not sure if you are talking only about power in politics or business or in general. Cos if it's in general then it's a matter of opinion. To me power means being loving. Cos thats one of the hardest things someone can do and if it's the hardest its the most powerful. And it's actually beneficial and it doesn't destroy neither side. That's real power for me and not many people have it sadly.

The19thLaw

Hmm that's interesting. I wonder if that's common mostly around the Pluto Scorpio generation. However I can see how thats valid. If course we don't want perfect leaders cos perfection doesn't exist. And someone who claims perfection is usually someone with many dark secrets. People want a People's person Leader. Someone who will come out with their flaws and imperfections in their life and take account for them so that we can relate and trust.

Also I'm not sure if you are talking only about power in politics or business or in general. Cos if it's in general then it's a matter of opinion. To me power means being loving. Cos thats one of the hardest things someone can do and if it's the hardest its the most powerful. And it's actually beneficial and it doesn't destroy neither side. That's real power for me and not many people have it sadly.

It's great you mention love because I remember reading in some of Robert Greene's work that in Ancient Greece, Athena herself was worshiped over Ares and seen as more powerful. Ares was the god of war everyone feared but he was brash masculinity, no strategy but just pure brash masculinity and violence.

Athena symbolized a more strategetic approach which was seen as she guided Oedipus through his journey. What separated God from Man was the ability to plan many moves ahead.

Now it is no secret that venus domiciled signs I know are very underrated for their strength. I used to wonder why I saw so many powerful Libra individuals but it made sense to me. Libra is the opposite of the brash Aries but I feel as if it is someone that operates more like a war general than the warrior itself.

Libra is diplomacy but it is also power in the form of picking your battles wisely instead of going headstrong against anyone that angers you. For this reason, in particular, I have felt like Mars is an overrated planet in terms of power because on its own, it gets you in trouble in today's diplomatic world.

waybread

I personally disagree with your basic premises, but I'm not going to change your mind on anything, am I? [In your chart, you wouldn't have something like Pluto quintile sun or Mars, would you?]

Libra is an air sign, meaning that its primary orientation is mental. I've been married to a sun Libra with Mercury in Scorpio, for a long time. If he's anything to go by, I would say that the main thing is strategy. They crave fairness and balance, so they are apt to contest an unfair imbalance of power.

It might be helpful to keep in mind that a horoscope is a mixture of many factors, not just one's basic sun or Mars sign.

The19thLaw

LOL pluto does not touch mars or sun in my chart, wish it did though. Think I have a pretty weak pluto. A healthy debate is always welcomed though.

Eminem has a similar combination, Libra sun with Mercury in Scorpio, he also has a 10th house Mars (once again in Libra though) which says why he is such a dominant force in music and rap.

It is all about the combination though.