Ptolemy in the second century CE observed Uranus

Bunraku

Because this is a star, and stars have established effects, then it is clear that this star is effective. Therefore, Uranus was an established “star” in 2nd century CE :)

waybread

I think you're right, Bunraku.

Under optimum conditions, Uranus is visible with the naked eye.

Ptolemy (who relied heavily on Hipparchus) seems to have noted a faint "star" in the Almagest. But like astronomers for centuries afterward, he didn't realize that it was moving. Herschel was not the first to spot Uranus, just the first to note its motion.

I posted my information about this on Skyscript: http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10760

petosiris

Banned
Originally the "planets" were "stars" that "traveled". Most stars were fixed.

According to Ptolemy's Almagest, technically all stars are wandering (planets) because of the precession of the constellations.

''Here too it would be appropriate to deal first with the sphere of the so-called ‘fixed stars’, and follow that by treating the five ‘planets’, as they are called.'' - Ptolemy, Almagest. Translated by Toomer.

He calls both non-wandering stars and planets ''so-called'' since he observed an annual motion in addition to their daily rotation relative to the earth with both.

Last edited: