Natal retrogrades and their effect

I'm curious to know what effects the number of retrogrades and their placements have on my chart. Debilitating is definitely a word that comes to mind. I have difficulty relating to other people, even immediate family.

y3uv9AV.png

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
I think it's much more than just retrograde planets. Not only are your Mercury and Venus both retrograde, they're in the twelfth house, along with your sun. The twelfth house is the hidden house. Can feel inaccessible. And, you have Chiron conjunct your sun. That right there could lead to a diminished sense of self, feeling like you're not quite there. Cancer rising, too: one possible manifestation of Cancer is the Invisible Person, the person who just doesn't seem to be noticed or present.

And, perhaps a bit less pertinent but still relevant, you have Venus and Mercury under the beams--that is, less than 8.5 degrees from your sun. Planets that close to the sun are invisible in the sky, because the sun blocks out their light. Some astrologers consider that to mean a weaker manifestation.

Did you grow up as the lost child in a family with addiction or other major dysfunction? That's one possibility with your chart. Not guaranteed, but very strongly possible. If that's not what happened, then there's something else that's manifesting that way. Not being able to relate isn't just an astrological thing, it's also from life experience. One describes the other.

I think it's much more than just retrograde planets. Not only are your Mercury and Venus both retrograde, they're in the twelfth house, along with your sun. The twelfth house is the hidden house. Can feel inaccessible. And, you have Chiron conjunct your sun. That right there could lead to a diminished sense of self, feeling like you're not quite there. Cancer rising, too: one possible manifestation of Cancer is the Invisible Person, the person who just doesn't seem to be noticed or present.

And, perhaps a bit less pertinent but still relevant, you have Venus and Mercury under the beams--that is, less than 8.5 degrees from your sun. Planets that close to the sun are invisible in the sky, because the sun blocks out their light. Some astrologers consider that to mean a weaker manifestation.

Did you grow up as the lost child in a family with addiction or other major dysfunction? That's one possibility with your chart. Not guaranteed, but very strongly possible. If that's not what happened, then there's something else that's manifesting that way. Not being able to relate isn't just an astrological thing, it's also from life experience. One describes the other.

When I was about 2 or 3 both my parents became drug addicts and we eventually ended up homeless (in a car). I have a pretty dysfunctional family, particularly on my mother's side. I spent six years in various foster homes after my folks got busted with drugs.

I know I have to make an effort to relate more to people, to put myself out there and experience life (really live) as opposed to just being a spectator. But if I'm being honest, I don't care much for the company of others and rather enjoy my solitude. That being said I know my quality of life won't improve if I don't make that change.

JUPITERASC

When I was about 2 or 3 both my parents became drug addicts
and we eventually ended up homeless (in a car).
I have a pretty dysfunctional family, particularly on my mother's side.
I spent six years in various foster homes
after my folks got busted with drugs.
I know I have to make an effort to relate more to people, to put myself out there

and experience life (really live) as opposed to just being a spectator.
But if I'm being honest, I don't care much for the company of others
and rather enjoy my solitude.
That being said I know my quality of life won't improve
if I don't make that change.
Siriusly ability to enjoy solitude is a rare gift :smile:
and keep in mind that
whether or not quality of life improves by engaging more with others
is entirely dependent on the company one keeps

JUPITERASC

I'm curious to know what effects the number of retrogrades

and their placements have on my chart.
Debilitating is definitely a word that comes to mind.
I have difficulty relating to other people, even immediate family.
Siriusly, you are far from alone :smile:
hundreds of millions of people have difficulty relating to others
including to immediate family
HELLENISTIC astrologers observed that
when a planet is in the interval of first station to second station
i.e. retrograde
the planet is not fit to conduct its business
because
it is described as “walking backwards”.

GREGORY ROZEK has a site with detailed info including multiple examples
on RETROGRADES IN NATAL CHART at http://gregoryrozek.com/en/retrogradeplanets/

number-of-retrograde-planets-in-natal-chart.jpg

Osamenor

Staff member
I know I have to make an effort to relate more to people, to put myself out there and experience life (really live) as opposed to just being a spectator. But if I'm being honest, I don't care much for the company of others and rather enjoy my solitude. That being said I know my quality of life won't improve if I don't make that change.

Your chart shows a very solitary person. No matter what you do to experience life, you'll always need your own space. Probably, you need to live alone and arrange your home how you want. If you live with others, you need your own private space within that home. I imagine that's very important to you.

Solitary people do well with the kind of social activity that's solitary at the same time. Any interest in tai chi? That comes to my mind immediately as something that's simultaneously solitary and social. If you go to classes, you interact with the other people there, and it becomes interaction on an energetic level. Doing tai chi with someone is interacting even if you don't talk to them. And you can practice it on your own, too. Mars in Pisces trine your ascendant suggests that sort of thing--something that's simultaneously exercise, maybe martial, and spiritual, and energy--as a way you can interact with the world and draw people in.

It would also help to look at the archetypes of your Big Three signs--sun, moon, and ascendant. Cancer can be the Invisible Person, but Cancer can also be the Healer. Gemini is the Storyteller. Leo is the Performer.

Perhaps you don't like large crowds or being in the spotlight, but there's likely something very Leo about your deepest desires. Maybe it's just a desire to be recognized and appreciated. Maybe there's a performer side to you, a very creative side. If you do any kind of art that you could show to others, that's performance, even if it's not you getting up on stage.