Indicators of success

JUPITERASC

I'm sorry but what is the lot of fortune?

I really don't have a clue
:eek:
Part of Fortune aka 'fortuna' = one of the so-called Arabic Parts and the most commonly used :smile:
It is treated as a benefic
and generally considered as a significator of good fortune
when well placed or favourably aspected.
Its symbol is:
fortuna.gif

The Part of Fortune is calculated by adding the Moon's zodiac degree to that of the ascendant
and subtracting the degree of the Sun.
Absolute longitude is used,
which translates 0 Aries to zero degrees
and 29 Pisces as 359 degrees
for example: 18 degrees Taurus = 48 degrees
i.e.
the 30 degrees of Aries + 18 of Taurus

Our EDUCATION BOARD features an article by Ray Austin
The Five Lots of Fate, Success, Your Fortune Chart
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13197

'.....The Lot of Fortune
The key. This is the native’s potential for prosperity, the character of the native,
and another characterization of the native’s physical body.
It is the medium through which the other lots operate, as it is the ‘physical body’,
thus the vehicle through which the native executes their ambitions.
It can also be considered a gateway.

Strong – The native is blessed with the vitality to achieve fortune, as well as auspicious character.
They also have potential for great prosperity.
If the other lots are fortunate, then we have a good medium through which privileged promise can operate.
They may be ambitious.

Weak
– The physical form may hinder attainment in some fashion,
and/or the character of the native is not conducive towards success.
They may not have a great promise of prosperity.
If other lots promise great things, the native himself may be too weak to realize such gains.
They may not even care for great success....'

JUPITERASC

And also, what is the allmuten?
Almuten is the strongest planet when all essential dignities are considered http://www.skyscript.co.uk/gl/almuten.html
The term is Arabic and derives from al-mateen, meaning 'the firm one' or 'strong in power'

Almuten is the planet that would have the highest dignity in the cusp of a house.
Your Moon is the planet that out of all the planets in your chart,
has the highest dignity in the exact degree where your ascendant falls.

The method of identifying the almuten involves considering the full range of essential dignities
so that rulership by sign, exaltation, triplicity, term and face is considered - not just rulership by sign.
Hence Venus is said to rule the sign of Libra
but Saturn is the almuten, being capable of assuming rulership by exaltation, triplicity, term and face :smile:

A point scoring technique is often used to determine the almuten of any given point.
This, and further details are outlined in part 5 of the tutorial Understanding Planetary Dignity and Debility.

The Almuten of the Figure is the most dignified planet in the chart.
This is often confused with the Lord of the Geniture
but generally the Almuten of the Figure does not recognise accidental dignity
whereas the Lord of the Geniture does.

oriel

What if the ruler of 2nd house is retrograde in 10th,does that mean that success comes later in life?also having chiron in 10th also makes it difficult to gain success?

RiseAndShine

Almuten is the strongest planet when all essential dignities are considered http://www.skyscript.co.uk/gl/almuten.html
The term is Arabic and derives from al-mateen, meaning 'the firm one' or 'strong in power'

The method of identifying the almuten involves considering the full range of essential dignities
so that rulership by sign, exaltation, triplicity, term and face is considered - not just rulership by sign.
Hence Venus is said to rule the sign of Libra
but Saturn is the almuten, being capable of assuming rulership by exaltation, triplicity, term and face :smile:
Thank you JUPITERASC, teaching me a lot of stuff! :joyful:

JUPITERASC

Thank you JUPITERASC, teaching me a lot of stuff! :joyful:
Good to be appreaciated RiseAnd Shine - thanks :smile:

Not everyone is interested in learning these more traditional methodologies
however
they are useful
one gains added insight

there's an in-depth thread from Omnisphericus on the ALMUTEM FIGURIS
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49000
here's a quote of the OP where Omnisphericus mentions the distinctions between the various almutens
e.g.
almuten of the house
almuten of the place - such as a particular degree

Almutem Figuris is an old doctrine
where one planet according to certain calculations applied,
receives the honors to be the Ruler or Lord of the Chart.

Robert Zoler had applied the therm AlmuteM instead of AlmuteN
in order to differentiate the Lord of the Chart
from the Lord of certain house
or place in the natal chart
such as Almuten Domus (Ruler of a House).

The word Almutes is an Arabian word which means 'Winner'.
Because, the planet is the Winner of all the 'life giving' places. Or the places which are most sensible and important in the natal figure.

The method which we'll use here I call Ezra/Zoller method.
Arabian Astrologer Ibn Ezra (1089 — 1164) was the first
(as far as we at this moment are aware)
to explicitely wrote about calculating the Almutem Figuris.

In his writings Zoller trace the beginnings of this Almutem Figuris and he found it in the writings of Iambichus (c. 245–c. 325) who was Syrian neo-platonic philosopher who wrote also about Astrology in his writings.
Iambicus in his work "Theurgy or on the mysteries of Egypt" speaks about the thing how one can change his fate. He speaks that he can do that through Theurgy and through personal relationship with the Lord of the Geniture of which he (Iambichus) only says that can be known through Astrology, but he didn't explained the method.

Zoller, tracing back the Ibn Ezra's ancestry, through the Sabaeans and his teachers (Mashallah and other) all the way to the first centuries where this doctrine was thought. Because of that line Zoller thinks that the Lord of the Geniture of which Iambichus speaks in his writings is in fact the Almutem Figuris of the Ibn Ezra.

Iambichus speaks (through the name of Porphyry) about the Peculiar Daimon, that is some kind of an Guardian Angel and it is conected to the personal soul but its not the same
Here's what Iambichus says in his Theurgy:
This [daimon] therefore is present as an exemplar before the souls descend into the realm of generated existence. As soon as the soul chooses him for leader the [daimon] immediately comes into charge of completing of its vital endowments and when it descends into the body it unites with the body and becomes the guardian of it common living principle. He likewise directs the the private life of the soul and
whatever the conclusions we may arrive at by inference and reasoning he himself imparts to us the principles."

Zoller about the Almutem Figuris says that it is equally as powerful as all the other planets taken together."

Benjamin Dykes (great student of Zoller) says about Almutem Figuris:
"Almutem Figuris, a powerful planet in the natal figure whose spirit or angel acts as the native's special link to the Divine. The Almutem Figuris is a spiritual astrological delineation, similar to but not the same as Lilly's the "Lord of the Geniture." But like Lilly (and Plato), the Almutem Figuris was taken to affect the native's thoughts, beliefs and character. Spiritual enlightenment can demand that we open our eyes to this particular planet and use it to access the Divine. Significantly, this is a function that many modern astrologers now attribute to the sun sign." (In his article on Happiness).

The method of calculation

1. Find the Essential Dignities (the 5 dignities, apply 3 points to all 3 triplicity rulers), in the Degree of the:
- Sun
- Moon
- Ascendant
- Part of Fortune
- Syzygy (the prenatal lunation, the one that came last, i.e. after which the birth follows - New or Full Moon).

2. Add 7 points for the Day ruler and 6 points to the Hour ruler.

3. Add accidental dignities scores.

For the planet in 1st house you add 12 points.
10th house = 11 points
7th house = 10
4th house = 9
11th = 8
5th = 7
2nd = 6
9th = 5
8th = 4
3rd = 3
12th = 2
6th = 1

The planet which has most points in the aforesaid places is the Almutem Figuris of the chart!

Don't forget to apply the 5 degrees ruler for the planet near the cusp of the houses. For example, if Saturn is at 15 Scorpio in 4th, but the 5th house cusp is at 19 Scorpio, you will calculate that Saturn already in the 5th, and you will give him 7 points instead of 9 as he would took if he was in 4th house. This can make big difference.

The free traditional astrology software - Morinus (google it), calcualte the Almutem Figuris. You can find this option by typing F3. But I should warn you that in that calculation is included some adding of points according to the planets phases. Zoller did not mention any kind of phases calculation so at this moment I'm not aware why the author of the software did included that.

But the best way and more enjoyable is to calculate it with your own hand. You will be familiar with the chart more deeply if you do this calculations with your own hand as the older astrologers did.
And if you must use the Morinus software than subtract the phases scores and you will get the Almutem Figuris right. All else is the same calculation as the Ezra/Zoller method.

Zoller gives short discriptions for every planet being Almutem Figuris:

Sun:
"If the Almuten figuris is the Sun, the native will want to lead, express his creative power and be recognized."

Moon:
"If the Moon, s/he will want to care for, be cared for, eat and make love, dream"

Mercury:
"If it is Mercury, s/he will be diligent in the sciences, business and communications"

Venus:
"Id it is Venus s/he will be a lover of beauty, of music, of men and women etc."

Mars:
"If it is Mars, s/he will fight in order to dominate"

Jupiter:
"If it is Jupiter, s/he will philosophize and teach"

Saturn:
"If it is Saturn he will retire from society, investigate hidden things and suffer adversity.""

muchacho

Hi everyone! I was wondering something about richness and success in the natal chart. Which are the strongest indicator in astrology? I don't know very much, but I think that if Jupiter is in the second house, maybe the person may be born in a rich family or may gain a lot of money with houses and properties. If it's in the tenth house he should be lucky with his carreer...am I right? But what if someone isn't born lucky and doesn't have a nice Jupiter, he can still be successfull? And if it is so, how do you know where and when he will become successfull?
This is my chart if you want to look at it, thank you if you decide to help me :)
At the very least your ASC and your Sun should be strong for any kind of success. A strong 10th house and ruler of 10th helps, too. If you've got that, then you can achieve just anything with will power alone. The other factors usually just decide if your success and rise is going to be easy or if a bit more effort is required.

Alkaid

What if the ruler of 2nd house is retrograde in 10th,does that mean that success comes later in life?also having chiron in 10th also makes it difficult to gain success?

Chiron really isn't powerful enough to seriously, or even semi-seriously hurt your 10th house. The rulers of the 10th, planets in the 10th and aspects to the 10th will show how strong the 10th is.

Chiron in the 10th would mean that whatever weakness chiron happens to indicate in your chart would be very visible to others, moreso than if chiron were in a obscure house.

RiseAndShine

At the very least your ASC and your Sun should be strong for any kind of success. A strong 10th house and ruler of 10th helps, too. If you've got that, then you can achieve just anything with will power alone. The other factors usually just decide if your success and rise is going to be easy or if a bit more effort is required.

No I don't have a strong tenth house, it's completly empty. I have Saturn retrograde in Aquarius in the 11th house. Some people say it's in the cusp between aquarius and pisces, but I don't really know the difference...

JUPITERASC

No I don't have a strong tenth house, it's completly empty.
I have Saturn retrograde in Aquarius in the 11th house.

Some people say it's in the cusp between aquarius and pisces,
but I don't really know the difference...
The fact is, the house location of a natal planet can change,
dependent on the house system chosen :smile:

easily verify at astro.com's Extended Chart Selection Page
there, fourteen of the more popular house systems currently in use are available options
Placidus is simply the default
and

to view for yourself how that works in practice
simply create your natal chart using Whole Sign Houses option
then create the same natal chart but this time using the Placidus option
and compare house locations of planets

EXPLANATORY ASTROLOGICAL HOUSES ARTICLE http://www.librarising.com/astrology/misc/wholesignhouses.html

'...There are at least twenty or thirty different house systems
or means of dividing the so-called "birthchart" into twelve segments of life activity.
In astrology, houses, mansions, or domains, represent general areas of life activity
and are the grounding areas or arenas of expression for planets.
Originally, the words "houses" and "signs" were interchangeable.
A planet in Aries was also a planet in the house of Aries
so that in effect. there were no real houses as we know them today....'

'….Artificial divisions now known as houses
were attempts by early Greeks and Hindus to measure strength "points" in the horoscope
which during 7th and 8th centuries AD were construed
or confused as means of dividing the birth chart.
The ascendant and midheaven degrees and their opposites, for example
were definite power points or areas of intense focus,
but not necessarily the beginnings of a house or quadrant.....'

'...In Whole Sign House system, the ascendant sign becomes the whole first house and the others follow.
Ascendant point can then fall anywhere in the first house
and the midheaven point anywhere in the upper half of the chart.
The Whole Sign House system was used by the ancient Greeks and the Hindus(who still use it today).
It is the oldest and simplest house system in existence....'

Some in-depth previous discussion on this interesting topic may be viewed at:

WHOLE SIGNS http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42163
WHOLE SIGN OR PLACIDUS http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39669

JUPITERASC

take time to study these concepts
a comment from tsmall at
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94683 providing guidance on house systems :smile:

I use both whole signs and Placidus.

The original idea of quadrant based house systems was to determine angularity,
and never to replace the concept of topics.

So I count signs for topics and use a house system overlaid onto it.

Because, as I mentioned above, capibility and angularity/ability to act are two different things.

muchacho

No I don't have a strong tenth house, it's completly empty. I have Saturn retrograde in Aquarius in the 11th house. Some people say it's in the cusp between aquarius and pisces, but I don't really know the difference...
Doesn't matter if the house is empty or not. Judging by the vedic chart your 10th house, 10th house lord and Sun are all above average strength. Your Jupiter is rather weak, btw.

RiseAndShine

Doesn't matter if the house is empty or not. Judging by the vedic chart your 10th house, 10th house lord and Sun are all above average strength. Your Jupiter is rather weak, btw.

Oh I didn't know it was weak! Maybe i can compensate with the Sun and the 10th house lord as you said, can't I? I'm still new to astrology, but I think that even if the most generous planet doesn't favour me, I can still achieve something by my own. Am I right?

sven555

Hi RiseAndShine!

You look like you have a nice chart!

Since you have Moon and Mercury conjunct 2 of your angles (ASC and IC), I would say these 2 planets will figure in your life alot.

Generally planets in angular houses are 'slow-burners', so they are the slowest to develop to their full potential. Since judging by your chart you are in your 20's, you have still a bit to go, but enough to express your talents and strengths.

As people have said, success to everyone is different. Money, job, status, Family etc.

If you really want to be an astrologer, just go for it, the natal is a clockwork of planet energies, not a fixed roadmap to destiny. So if you really want to do it, the universe will let you do it, just astrology will help you find out if you have gifts along the way and improve your timing.

since your MC is ruled by Saturn, teaching could come quite easy to you or you might enjoy it.

If you have questions, please ask!

Good luck!

RiseAndShine

Hi RiseAndShine!

You look like you have a nice chart!

Since you have Moon and Mercury conjunct 2 of your angles (ASC and IC), I would say these 2 planets will figure in your life alot.

Generally planets in angular houses are 'slow-burners', so they are the slowest to develop to their full potential. Since judging by your chart you are in your 20's, you have still a bit to go, but enough to express your talents and strengths.

As people have said, success to everyone is different. Money, job, status, Family etc.

If you really want to be an astrologer, just go for it, the natal is a clockwork of planet energies, not a fixed roadmap to destiny. So if you really want to do it, the universe will let you do it, just astrology will help you find out if you have gifts along the way and improve your timing.

since your MC is ruled by Saturn, teaching could come quite easy to you or you might enjoy it.

If you have questions, please ask!

Good luck!

Hi Sven! Thank you for your answer! I found out that the only thing I really love teaching are astrology and other stuff related to spirituality. These are the only thing that I'm really really passionate about. I have many other interests too, but these are the main one :D So yes I would love to teach astrology when I'm older and I know more about it. Thank you for your positivity and your compliment!

sven555

Hi Sven! Thank you for your answer! I found out that the only thing I really love teaching are astrology and other stuff related to spirituality. These are the only thing that I'm really really passionate about. I have many other interests too, but these are the main one :D So yes I would love to teach astrology when I'm older and I know more about it. Thank you for your positivity and your compliment!

you are most welcome :)

muchacho

Oh I didn't know it was weak! Maybe i can compensate with the Sun and the 10th house lord as you said, can't I? I'm still new to astrology, but I think that even if the most generous planet doesn't favour me, I can still achieve something by my own. Am I right?
The number one mistake beginners usually make is that they focus on one or two factors and let those color their interpretation. But an influence in the birth chart is only noteworthy if it shows up again and again. Which means you have to first get the whole picture and only with that background you will be able to accurately determine if a planet does more good than bad or vice versa.

And let's not forget that there's free will after all. With focus and dedication you can easily overcome any kind of negative influences in your chart. That's why remedies work even though they are more or less a dog and pony show. What counts is your state of mind and your conscious thoughts which, if you are lazy, will be totally controlled by your environment or, if you are alert, are totally in your own control. It's your choice.

RiseAndShine

The number one mistake beginners usually make is that they focus on one or two factors and let those color their interpretation. But an influence in the birth chart is only noteworthy if it shows up again and again. Which means you have to first get the whole picture and only with that background you will be able to accurately determine if a planet does more good than bad or vice versa.

And let's not forget that there's free will after all. With focus and dedication you can easily overcome any kind of negative influences in your chart. That's why remedies work even though they are more or less a dog and pony show. What counts is your state of mind and your conscious thoughts which, if you are lazy, will be totally controlled by your environment or, if you are alert, are totally in your own control. It's your choice.
Hehehe, than I'll be perfectly fine. Jupiter, I don't fear you! :biggrin:

muchacho

Hehehe, than I'll be perfectly fine. Jupiter, I don't fear you! :biggrin:
Yup. pesonally, I think the role of astrological influences in our lives is highly overrated in astrology books. It's true that those influences are there and define us to a great deal, but they also have their limits. Maybe a short beginners guide to astrology:

Rule #1: Don't get carried away with one single factor in your chart. Always put it back into perspective or else you'll miss the essentials.

Rule #2: Don't overanalyze your own chart. It will lead to overthinking and will make you lose trust in your own inner guidance and free will.