Astrology Book Recommendations

lilithofeden

Wow! We need to set up a poll or something to see which ones are most reccomended... There's so many! :/

Zaphod

I didn't see anything on rectification on any of these lists. I have "Rectification of the Birth Time" (AFA, 1954) by Gustave Scwickert but it's poorly printed and hard to use. I also found "The Complete Book of Chart Rectification" by Carol Tebbs on-line but don't know anything about it. And I've been using the on-line Rosicrucian material on the Prenatal Epoch with some success; I will probably pick up E.H. Bailey's book on the subject.

Does anyone have any input on the Tebbs book, or any other book on rectification? I use all of the usual methods of correlating major life events to progressions, directions and transits as well as (to a certain extent) "Ascendant types" and some character-based flags, but was looking for a comprehensive, systematic treatment of the subject.

jlpage

Top five astrological texts:

Ephemeris:
Raphael's Ephemeris, published by W. Foulsham. The larger format versions now go up to 151 years. Better than the American, it also contains the Dark Moon Lilith, which I use myself in charts to good effect.

Transits/Predictive:
Planets in Transit
by Robert Hand, Para Research. The best book by far for understanding planetary dynamics and how the affect the individual on a daily basis.

Psychological:
Jungian Birth Charts
by Arthur Dione, Aquarian Press. An excellent introduction to how astrology can be understood through a Jungian lens.

Philosophy of Astrology:
The Astrology of Fate by Liz Greene, Allen and Unwin. A fascinating, and profound examination of what fate really is, and the 'clues' to how it functions in astrology.

General:
Astrology, Psychology and the Four Elements by Stephen Arroyo, CRCS. A beautifully written, penetrating work on the 'modern', energy-based approach to astrology.

"Astrology and Your Lucky Star"

We recommend "Astrology and Your Lucky Star" by Seattle author and astrologer Ann Combs, available here. Ann has 35 years experience creating and reading charts. Her new book explores the influence of the newly discovered Galactic Center and offers career and romance guidance in an easy to read style.

vasilis

Most of the books that the previous posts mention are really interesting.

Personally I recommend the following:

1. "Tetrabiblos" by Claudius Ptolemy (various publishers)
2. "Anthologies" by Vettius Valens (google for the translation from ancient Greek)

From the modern

"Astrology, Psychology and the Four Elements" by Stephen Arroyo

And the best of the best:

"The scientific basis of Astrology", subtitle: "Tuning to the music of the planets" by Dr. Percy Seymour Astrophysicist

I want to write a small review for this book:
It is a book that represents a whole independent category. All the other books of Astrology are talking about "how" to make Astrology. This book says "Why" Astrology is a way to interpret our character. "Why" the planets affect our life.
It is written from a physicist and it uses scientific arguments to answer peoples questions and mostly to shed light on difficult aspects of Astrology.

I was astonished not to see this book is the lists of previous posts Recommendations.
Dr. Michel Gauquelin books are also interesting but they are dealing with Statistical research in the field of Astrology.

Also from the same author:
"Astrology the evidence of science"

I'm finishing the list with my own book:
"Astrology of the 13 Signs of the Zodiac" subtitle: "Ophiuchus: The New Sign of the Zodiac Circle" by Vasilis Kanatas
It is a book that introduces a new theory for this ancient field of study.
I would like to see your reviews.

Euthenic1

Most of the books that the previous posts mention are really interesting.

Personally I recommend the following:

1. "Tetrabiblos" by Claudius Ptolemy (various publishers)
2. "Anthologies" by Vettius Valens (google for the translation from ancient Greek)

From the modern

"Astrology, Psychology and the Four Elements" by Stephen Arroyo

And the best of the best:

"The scientific basis of Astrology", subtitle: "Tuning to the music of the planets" by Dr. Percy Seymour Astrophysicist

I want to write a small review for this book:
It is a book that represents a whole independent category. All the other books of Astrology are talking about "how" to make Astrology. This book says "Why" Astrology is a way to interpret our character. "Why" the planets affect our life.
It is written from a physicist and it uses scientific arguments to answer peoples questions and mostly to shed light on difficult aspects of Astrology.

I was astonished not to see this book is the lists of previous posts Recommendations.
Dr. Michel Gauquelin books are also interesting but they are dealing with Statistical research in the field of Astrology.

Also from the same author:
"Astrology the evidence of science"

I'm finishing the list with my own book:
"Astrology of the 13 Signs of the Zodiac" subtitle: "Ophiuchus: The New Sign of the Zodiac Circle" by Vasilis Kanatas
It is a book that introduces a new theory for this ancient field of study.
I would like to see your reviews.

Thanks for sharing.

Claire19

Although the Internet has been a wonderful source of free information, I believe that I have come to a point in my astrological studies in which I may benefit by investing in some good books. My birthday is fast approaching, and I cannot think of a better gift I would like to receive! Does anyone have any recommendations to start off my (non-existant) collection?

Aquarian Maverick :wink:
For the nodes I would recommend Martin Schulman for sure. I think you need Planets in Transit book as well and Robert Hand is a good author. Planets in Houses and Planets in Signs. They are three basic text books and Robert Pelletier is also recommended.

tararoseastrologer

Hi,

Recently I bought few astrology books:
Art of Predictive Astrology: Forecasting your life events (Carol Rushman) and Solar Arcs, Astrology's Most Successful Predictive System (Noel Tyl).

I love these two books. In my opinion both books are very informing - good for learning.

However, I also bought - Solar Returns: Formulas & Analyses (Nance McCullough) and I was not satisfied. For me book is a little bit confusing. I just do not get it. There are many SR chart examples but I have problems with explanations. I am a beginner in this field and I would appreciate if there is anyone with experience in SR astrology who could recommend something that is suitable for learning. Book easy to follow with good explanations!

Thanks!
Lela

I recommend The Only Astrology Book You'll Ever Need by Joanna Martine Woolfolk. It's great for beginners and I've used it a lot, it also comes with a CD-Rom that delineates birth charts for you.

Munch

I honestly did not check to see if anyone suggested this, but this is my favorite book that goes into planetary aspects. Sue leaves it more as planetary combinations but it is very illuminating and helps get the reader out of the 'trine means this, and sextile means that' rut.

'Aspects in Astrology; A Guide to Understanding Planetary Relationships in the Horoscope' by Sue Tompkins

poyi

Premium Member
The Solid Basic Astrology Textbooks:

"How to Learn Astrology", by Marc Edmund Jones

"Astrology: How and Why it Works", by Marc Edmund Jones

"Essential of Astrological Analysis", by Marc Edmund Jones

"The Guide to Horoscope Interpretation", by Marc Edmund Jones

"How to Live with the Stars", by Marc Edmund Jones

The Houses:

"The Houses Connection: How to Read the Houses in an Astrological Chart", by Karen Hamaker-Zonadag

"The Twelfth House: The Hidden Power in the Horoscope", by Karen Hamaker-Zonadag

Psychological Astrology:

"Astrology and Jungian Psychology: A Synthesis of Jungian Psychology and Astrology", by Karen Hamaker-Zonadag

"Astrology, Psychology and Four Elements: An Energy Approach to Astrology & Its Use in the Counseling Art", Stephen Arroyo, M.A.

Planetary Aspects:

"Planets in Aspects: Understanding You Inner Dynamics"
, by Robert Pelletier

"Aspects and personality", by Karen Hamaker-Zonadag

"The Yod Book", by Karen Hamaker-Zonadag

Symbolism:

"The Sabian Symbols in Astrology", by Marc Edmund Jones

JerryRR

The Knot of Time-Astrology and Female Experience by Lindsay River & Sally Gillespie.

Astrology Alive!-Experiential Astrology,Astrodrama and the Healing Arts by Barbara Schermer.

J.R.

poyi

Premium Member
"Astrology, Nutrition & Health" by Robert Carl Jansky

Stated the following:

"Astrology has been on the scene for over 4000 years; modern medical practice had its origin less than 100 years old; and nutrition is barely 50 years old."

The origin of modern medicine- Ancient Herbalism was based on the understandings of planetary rulership, energies to human organs, body parts and representive herbs. Chinese medicine is fully based on the understandings of 5 elements and Yin/Yang. Occults, to consider development of the modern medicine, in my opinion is the Father of modern sciences.

"...when we as astrologers spot a potential health problem in a client's chart, we can advise the client to seek professional attention for that problem. Thus the astrologer does not have to be considered as an adversary by doctors but as someone who assists the therapist in hi major job, the prevention and treatment of disease."

"In order for astrologers to fulfill this function, we must become familiar with the anatomy and physiology of the body as well as with the basic symbolism of medical astrology."

This is a Great Book!!!!!!

Last edited:

poyi

Premium Member
"The Principles of Astrology: Intermediate Astrology Book I", by Charles E.O. Carter

"Some Principles of Horoscope Delineation: Intermediate Astrology Book II", by Charles E.O. Carter

These books are easy to read and to the points also cover many interesting areas of astrology delineation such as signs and houses in details, physical health, intellegent, typical appearances by signs, characters, destiny, Horary and Electrional horoscope; the second book covers planetary psychology, infant mortality and longevity, suicide and insanity, violence criminal, outstanding ability and failure and directional delineation such as death.

It also provides 14 actual horoscope to examine the above interesting areas of astrology.

Really great astrology classics and the author didn't write any rubbish, simple, clear and right to the points, pleasant to read.

dr. farr

"The Principles of Astrology: Intermediate Astrology Book I", by Charles E.O. Carter

"Some Principles of Horoscope Delineation: Intermediate Astrology Book II", by Charles E.O. Carter

These books are easy to read and to the points also cover many interesting areas of astrology delineation such as signs and houses in details, physical health, intellegent, typical appearances by signs, characters, destiny, Horary and Electrional horoscope; the second book covers planetary psychology, infant mortality and longevity, suicide and insanity, violence criminal, outstanding ability and failure and directional delineation such as death.

It also provides 14 actual horoscope to examine the above interesting areas of astrology.

Really great astrology classics and the author didn't write any rubbish, simple, clear and right to the points, pleasant to read.

I also have often recommended these books for beginners; I'll add 2 more Carter books to those mentioned above:
-"The Astrological Aspects"
-"Encyclopedia of Psychological Astrology"

I'll further mention Carter's intriguing "The Zodiac and the Soul"
-For a summary type book, for quick references, try Manly P. Hall's "Astrological Keywords"...