Is this normal?

ScorpioLibraCancer

I've always knew that I've had a lot of water in my chart, but I decided to calculate my elements. Turns out I have 75% water, 14% earth, 11% air and 0% fire.

Even though I'm a libra I consist a lot of water. My question is simple; Is this normal? Is it normal to have total lack of an element? Does anyone else have the majority of an element in their birthchart too? Is this why I don't feel like libra at all?

My signs are:
Libra: Sun
Scorpio: Ascendant, venus, Mercury, Jupiter, Pluto, North Node
Cancer: Moon, Mars
Pisces: Saturn
Capricorn: Uranus, Neptune

waybread

Many people have one or no planets in a particular element. It is "normal" if you consider that millions of people on the planet share your type of element distribution.

I haven't seen other astrologers state ths, but my impression is that a moon in Cancer trumps the person's sun-sign, unless s/he has the sun in Leo. Each planet rules one or two signs, the sign of its "domicile." Planets are extra strong when found in the sign they rule. The moon rules Cancer. The sun rules Leo but no other signs. (We could count as strong the sun's exaltation in Aries, but this isn't your placement, either.)

How closely do you identify with your Cancer moon?

I wouldn't see your earth element as terribly strong, either. The inner planets, ascendant, and sun most closely define our personalities.

This is slightly more advanced, but each house cusp also has a sign on it, and its ruling planet has a lot to say about the affairs of that house. For example, if you have Libra on the cusp of your sun's house, then your Scorpio Venus is a big player for your sun, as Venus rules Libra. If you have Virgo on the cusp of your sun's house, then Virgo's ruler Mercury-- also in Scorpio, influences your sun.

However, a lot of popular sun-sign astrology really is astrology "lite". I'm not sure what you are reading, but you may find that you have a concern with fairness, are happiest as part of a couple (even though you may be truly single now) and have some appreciation for rationality.

Meanwhile, you probably experience life primarily through your emotions.

ScorpioLibraCancer

Well, I do indeed identify with my cancer moon. I feel more like a scorpio, though. The description of libra has never suited me as much as the water sign does. Except for being lazy, which I am.

I'm very passionate, intense, dreamy, stubborn, secretive and emotional.

But you didn't answer my question: Is it normal to have 75% water of the water element (Or any element) :)

waybread

I did answer your question.

I wrote:

Many people have one or no planets in a particular element. It is "normal" if you consider that millions of people on the planet share your type of element distribution.

If you "don't feel like a Libra at all," I wonder if you have restricted your readings about Libra to just popular sun-sign astrology. If I said, "cardinal air sign" would that help?

I've been married to a sun-Libra for 17 years. He also has a Scorpio emphasis. The main Libra quality I see is a focus on fairness: ask him to divide a piece of cake, for example, and he takes it very seriously. Another trait is that Libras can clearly see both sides of an issue in equal measure. Multiple sides, if there are more than two choices. They can appear indecisive for this reason. Not because they like to dither, but because they are still weighing the various pros and cons.

Of course, you may not feel like any of the above, either. To explain why, more clearly, we would have to look at your chart. Sometimes a 12th house sun, the sun in an intercepted sign, or some powerful oppositions in a young person's chart are factors.

Last edited:

ScorpioLibraCancer

If you asked me to cut a cake I would probably not put a lot of work and effort to it. I would do it and I would think; "Why bother to make it look nice, it's going to be eaten anyways".

The thing about decisions used to be a problem when I was younger (child). I don't have that problem anymore (except in some occasions, of course).

Here's my chart :)
m74Bki4.gif

sleepy_cat

I haven't seen other astrologers state ths, but my impression is that a moon in Cancer trumps the person's sun-sign, unless s/he has the sun in Leo. Each planet rules one or two signs, the sign of its "domicile." Planets are extra strong when found in the sign they rule. The moon rules Cancer. The sun rules Leo but no other signs. (We could count as strong the sun's exaltation in Aries, but this isn't your placement, either.)

How closely do you identify with your Cancer moon?

I wouldn't see your earth element as terribly strong, either. The inner planets, ascendant, and sun most closely define our personalities.

This is slightly more advanced, but each house cusp also has a sign on it, and its ruling planet has a lot to say about the affairs of that house. For example, if you have Libra on the cusp of your sun's house, then your Scorpio Venus is a big player for your sun, as Venus rules Libra. If you have Virgo on the cusp of your sun's house, then Virgo's ruler Mercury-- also in Scorpio, influences your sun.

However, a lot of popular sun-sign astrology really is astrology "lite". I'm not sure what you are reading, but you may find that you have a concern with fairness, are happiest as part of a couple (even though you may be truly single now) and have some appreciation for rationality.

Meanwhile, you probably experience life primarily through your emotions.

I also have moon in cancer and a predominance of water planets although my Sun is in Sagittarius. I have Moon in first house in Cancer therefore a cancer ASC too. funny thing is up to 20 something years old I did not play so much an emphasis on emotions although I realized they mess up my life :) so...I don't feel like a Sag either...

sleepy_cat

If you asked me to cut a cake I would probably not put a lot of work and effort to it. I would do it and I would think; "Why bother to make it look nice, it's going to be eaten anyways".

The thing about decisions used to be a problem when I was younger (child). I don't have that problem anymore (except in some occasions, of course).

Here's my chart :)
m74Bki4.gif

oh, did you also identify more with your sun sign when younger? is it a characteristic of moon in cancer to manifest later in life? or do we fight to rein in our "watery" emotions until they erupt? what is your personal experience with so much water? i am a fire/water combo but yours looks a little more difficult, at least fire is also a little passionate, unlike air who is more cerebral in my opinion.

ScorpioLibraCancer

oh, did you also identify more with your sun sign when younger? is it a characteristic of moon in cancer to manifest later in life? or do we fight to rein in our "watery" emotions until they erupt? what is your personal experience with so much water? i am a fire/water combo but yours looks a little more difficult, at least fire is also a little passionate, unlike air who is more cerebral in my opinion.

Yes. I've never really suit the libra description, but I identified more with it when I was a kid.

About the cancer moon: I tend to keep everything to myself. If a problem is getting more and more intense, I usually confront it or hide.

All the water signs are difficult. Especially the scorpio ascendant. I always smell rats, even if there isn't any rats at all (I don't know if cancer and pisces does that, so I'm blaming the rising sign). I really hate opening up to people (A lot of relationships have gone bad because of this). I'm also overly jealous. I never admit it, and if I do I tell the girl "I may be a little jealous". I also hate having a lot of friends. I like having a few very good friends.

It's not all bad, though. The water signs makes me a good human-knower/reader, which is nice.

How about you?

waybread

The cake thing isn't about making it look nice, it is about dividing it equally. Try dividing it unequally amongst a group of squabbling children, and see what happens.

Your sun is not only a "singleton" in an air sign, but it is only lightly aspected. I would say "almost unaspected' because the quincunx to Saturn in a water sign will not tend to strengthen your sun as a sense of identity. A quincunx indicates a source of friction between two planets. Not the easy flow of the trine, but also not the head-butting of the opposition. It tends to show up as problematic, but not so seriously that you feel you have to act on it.

If you think of your planets like an extended family or a committee, some of the members are closely aligned, some don't get along and argue, and there may be the loner of the group. Your sun is like the loner. It doesn't communicate much with the other planets, so it doesn't get their ongoing feedback about how it operates.

With the sun in the10 th house, are you closely oriented towards your (future) career? Do you know what it will be?

Anyway, it's perfectly OK "not to feel like a Libra." The main challenge for people with zero or only one planet in an element is to learn to compensate for it in some way. Fire generally confers energy, initiative, and action; so you have to ask your Mars to get you off the couch. Air is mental, even intellectual.

With so many planets in Scorpio, including the ascendant and Pluto in the first house, you probably appear to others as more Scorpionic than Libran.

Last edited:

ScorpioLibraCancer

Actually I've got no idea. When I was approximatley 10 until I was 17 I was sure of what I wanted to be, but then I kind of changed my mind and now I don't really know.

My sun is in the tenth house? I've always thought Scorpio was House number 1, followed by Sag as House 2, etc. Making my sun being in the 10th house.

You wouldn't mind teaching me/telling me about the houses in my chart?

ScorpioLibraCancer

Nevermind, I found out how the houses worked.

I didn't really know I had so much pisces but according to my houses I do have a lot of pisces, having a lot of planets in the 12th house

sleepy_cat

Yes. I've never really suit the libra description, but I identified more with it when I was a kid.

About the cancer moon: I tend to keep everything to myself. If a problem is getting more and more intense, I usually confront it or hide.

All the water signs are difficult. Especially the scorpio ascendant. I always smell rats, even if there isn't any rats at all (I don't know if cancer and pisces does that, so I'm blaming the rising sign). I really hate opening up to people (A lot of relationships have gone bad because of this). I'm also overly jealous. I never admit it, and if I do I tell the girl "I may be a little jealous". I also hate having a lot of friends. I like having a few very good friends.

It's not all bad, though. The water signs makes me a good human-knower/reader, which is nice.

How about you?

indeed water made me good with people, very intuitive and empathetic. all my jobs had a lot to do with support to people in some form or another. 10th in pisces makes me confused about what career to follow though, so i've changed quite a few.
i'm not reserved and keep all to myself but probably this is not my moon or ascendant responsible. cancer moon/cancer asc makes me moody and veeeeery changeable. i had a lot going on trying to live a life in these conditions. glad this makes me flexible as well.

ScorpioLibraCancer

I see.. How is it like to have a cancer ascendant? Do you get along with strangers or do they see you as reserved?

I do not get along with strangers unless they're very talkactive. 'Cause I'm not very talkactive. I usually observe people and tend to observe people that I find interesting much more than "regular" people.

miquar

Hi. Its important that you make some conscious effort to develop your Libra-consciousness. You have to start from a very watery standpoint of course, so you could try asking yourself how this manifests as particular needs. Water-consciousness typically needs to feel fused with something, so that one doesn't feel alone. This something can be internal or external.

But air needs to feel free to understand things from a more detached viewpoint. Libra is concerned with the building of a fair and harmonious community through reaching agreement with others and developing shared understanding - guiding principles for communal life.

It may seem strange that the prioritising of social harmony should feel too isolating to water, but air's way of forming connections with others is actually relatively impersonal, even in Libra - most romantic of the air signs.

You will struggle to get in touch with your Sun if your watery side is too heavily defended against detachment. I already mentioned some stuff about how we can cleanse ourselves of such inhibive feelings on your other thread, so I won't repeat it here.

What notions of social fairness do you hold as principles in your head, rather than as instinctive responses in your gut? What kind of world do you envisage if you imagine that people are always objective and level-headed in their treatment of one another? These kinds of questions may lead you to your Libra Sun.