mars conjunct jupiter in cancer...i have to restrain myself from being defensive!

This aspect...sheesh! It's strange because jup is very happy in cancer, but not conjunct mars, and mars is happy conjunct jup, but not in cancer...i guess the result is that 1. I am a great cook, that's an emense source of pleasure, actually...I adore cooking, baking, love it all. 2. I have no shortage of energy, I never feel that any task, project, or adventure will be too much for me. 3. I have to stop myself from being defensive...it's so gross...i hate how quickly i can respond in defense when there is no attack. Any thoughts on this configuration?

Ruka_5

Banned
I have Mars in Cancer and to be honest, I'm an awful cook, and I actually don't even LIKE cooking and honestly don't think I'll ever grow to like it. I have Mars square Jupiter, too.

I actually think having Mars in Cancer in aspect to Jupiter is a great thing to have, though. Defensiveness is really a necessary trait to have in this world if you think about it. So when it comes to the things and people that are worth fighting for, it makes it so we'll get off our butts and do so, and be very good at it.

This aspect...sheesh! It's strange because jup is very happy in cancer, but not conjunct mars, and mars is happy conjunct jup, but not in cancer...i guess the result is that 1. I am a great cook, that's an emense source of pleasure, actually...I adore cooking, baking, love it all. 2. I have no shortage of energy, I never feel that any task, project, or adventure will be too much for me. 3. I have to stop myself from being defensive...it's so gross...i hate how quickly i can respond in defense when there is no attack. Any thoughts on this configuration?

We are all visual people and need to see charts please?

Welcome to the World of Astrology!
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14561

Re: Need some education: Which charts to use when?
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17514

Beginning to Study Astrology
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=154469&postcount=10
http://www.soulhealing.com/tutorialwest.htm
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/learn-astrology/astrology-glyphs.php

How to attach a chart as thumbnail
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12126

what members like to see in a thread – help forum
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25930

mars in cancer has a tendency to interfer with family members/matters.

Basic astrology
Now basically your sun sign is your 'core beliefs, values, ego' and Asc is your physical body, mode of expression and mask and persona that we all wear and hide behind, but definitely not what's going on underneath. What's going on underneath is your Sun sign. Moon sign, house placements and aspects describe your emotional and intuitive responses, also describes your view of your mother, as saturn describes your father by sign and house position.

So, think of a glass milk bottle the bottle is your Asc and your sun the milk, but the milk still has to 'come out' through the glass neck of the milk bottle....

Now aspects within a natal chart represent 'facets' of our personality, because we are all multifaceted beings. What these do is 'break down and compartmentalise' these facets into smaller bite size chunks. This does take quite a lot of self analysis and objectivity to 'see yourself' and why you do certain things and behave in certain ways. Actually it can be quite good therapy...

Remember back to your school days an opposition is 180', square 90', trine 120', and sextile 60' Now challenged aspects are conj (depending on the planets, cos some like each other and some really don't) squares and oppositions. Easy aspects are conj (if the planets get along) eg: Jupiter conj Moon, sextile and trine. Quincunx is inbetween (depending on the planets) causes health strains and unresolved or hard to balance planets/energies.

If this conjunction is in a 'cadent house' then the energies will not be seen/felt as strongly

Valis

I have an afflicted jupiter that is in detriment in virgo conjunct my mars in leo and I also have abundant energy and courage, but the afflicted jupiter tends to manifest as negative criticism, which I direct at myself (I'm a creative person, mars in Leo). I have had real problems with paralyzing perfectionism and though I'm careful not to criticize others the way I do myself it does inadvertendly shine through when everyone else may be happy with some group effort but I won't be unless it's spectacular... Though I'll pretend to like it not to offend other people's feelings I'm sure my lack of genuine joy comes accross. Then in turn people are often tempted to criticize me and I do get alot of excessive criticism from creative partners. ...maybe it's the same type of a deal.

I have virgo retro in 8th house square mars in gemini in 5th.

Valis, I just looked at your chart and these two (8th Equal house) are square to Uranus (11th house),You have hugely distorted house sizes, do you live in high latitutdes? Jupiter square uranus is action without due thought (cut nose off to spite your face at times?) mars square uranus can be bad tempered, aimed at friends?

Usually this is a confidencer aspect as these two really get along ok, but you do need to take into account other aspects these two planets have to get an accurate picture of how they operate.

untitled (434x640).jpg
Here is my chart

I have Mars in Cancer and to be honest, I'm an awful cook, and I actually don't even LIKE cooking and honestly don't think I'll ever grow to like it. I have Mars square Jupiter, too.

I think it's the jupiter in cancer that loves to cook :biggrin:, and I agree that there's a lot to like about mars/jupiter....I feel lucky in that I am rarely stagnent in life.

also...if anyone takes a look at my chart...i know it appears as though i have mars square pluto...but at an orb 7 degrees? is that a real aspect? :unsure:

also...if anyone takes a look at my chart...i know it appears as though i have mars square pluto...but at an orb 7 degrees? is that a real aspect? :unsure:
yep, plus mars in cancer is notorious for interferring in family matters....

Now see your Jupiter is tight orb square to Pluto,I think it's more likely THIS aspect it adds willpower and stubborness and wanting control connected to 2nd house matters ie: how you earn your money but also, your personal values and beliefs. So perhaps when they are challenged by others
Jupiter in Square to Pluto
It may be difficult for you to find a life philosophy that offers you the answers that you seek. You have penetrating insight into such matters and if you came from a traditional orthodox religious background, you will almost certainly go through one or more major overhauls in your belief system.
You may be someone who feels compelled to take the all or nothing approach to life at times. http://www.skyviewzone.com/astrology/aspectsjupiter.htm#najuasppl
All forms of extremism or fanaticism can wind up producing unwanted negative effects and you risk antagonizing those who would otherwise embrace your causes. You possess a high level of ambition and the probability for some kind of large scale success or wealth would not be at all surprising with this aspect in your chart. Seek the middle path and try to avoid overindulgent lifestyles. A little self-imposed discipline is much easier to deal with, compared to having it forced on you from outside circumstances

Now looking at communications we see mercury is square neptune, this is classic mis-communications, give out and received back, illusions confusions and delusions. Do you find it hard keeping track? This could also be a defensive expressive, so as not to appear silly in front of people. Best form of defense is attack remember.​

Thank you, astrologer50,
Yes, as you can see from my chart, Neptune is very strong. I don't normally have a lot of misunderstandings per say, but I'd say that my communication style can be muddled sometimes....i will leave out info on accident, assuming it's understood....different from lying, which sometimes happens with nept square merc. Kind of like my brain gets flooded with a lot of information pertaining to any given subject when I think of it...and I will communicate this and that odd bit, assuming that my trail of thought is followed entirely. That happens a lot. But I am very deeply honest and upfront in all my relationships...even business relationships.

Oh, and also, astrologer50, these tiny charts are confusing. You said that my jupiter is in a tight square to pluto...well, my jupiter is at 3 degrees cancer, my pluto at 13. So they are even further out from an aspect than my 7 degree mars/pluto square....

Ruka_5

Banned
I think the orb on the Mars-Pluto square is up in the air; I expect some to tell you it counts and some to tell you the orb is too wide.

I have a Mars-Pluto square too. Although the orb is pretty big, I count it because I do feel and experience it. Same for my Sun-Neptune trine. If you don't really feel the energy and don't feel it relates to you as a person, I'd just pitch it.

Oh, and also, astrologer50, these tiny charts are confusing. You said that my jupiter is in a tight square to pluto...well, my jupiter is at 3 degrees cancer, my pluto at 13. So they are even further out from an aspect than my 7 degree mars/pluto square....

well in that case it's out of orb, so back to plan B mercur square neptune. What I tend to do on astro.com is reduce the orbs to 85% which brings them in line with most common practices and orbs....

Okay, so I've been thinking about this mercury/neptune square...I've always seen my mercury as quite strong, being in Virgo conjunct asc, and the outlet of a minor grand trine receiving sextiles from uranus/mars/jup. But the major aspect is the square from neptune. Those sextiles help and modify it, but that is the major definitive aspect, in a sense. So, as it is also my chart ruler, that square is going to have such a big impact on my life. Thanks for the illumination there, astrologer50. And thanks to everyone else who replied...it's very interesting reading all your opinions and experience. Also...I think the comment about mars in cancer's implication on family relationships is important. I do feel that it lends a martian energy to familial relationships. My brother and myself share this placement and we are both the black sheeps! I feel we are both a bit defensive about family issues (and I do think we have a valid point, but is it to our benefit?) My youngest son has mars in cancer as well....so I know that placement is important in my greater family story for better or worse. Anyway, thanks again, all!

Valis

I have virgo retro in 8th house square mars in gemini in 5th.

Valis, I just looked at your chart and these two (8th Equal house) are square to Uranus (11th house),You have hugely distorted house sizes, do you live in high latitutdes? Jupiter square uranus is action without due thought (cut nose off to spite your face at times?) mars square uranus can be bad tempered, aimed at friends?

Usually this is a confidencer aspect as these two really get along ok, but you do need to take into account other aspects these two planets have to get an accurate picture of how they operate.

I do live very high up north and the house sizes are very distorted and subsequently I am very tempted to start using the whole sign system (but that's a can of worms I'll refrain from opening in this thread...)

As for temper...
I am a moon libra. The ruler in gemini and out of bounds. I am kind of bubbly, funny, youthful, zany and accomodating. That is how most people would decribe me. I have actually been called a wimbo..It's a cross between a weirdo and a bimbo... but not bertha or brutus or attila..:wink:

That said there is one area of life where I'm extremely driven and determined and have a straight to the point, no time for fluff, bunnies and rose petals way of communicating:
Happy go lucky about everything else, with one notable exception being my artistic work.
That is where I am a perfectionist (in a technical way only as in personal best, but mainly concerning the coherence of communication and the underlying meaning and message), although I also appreciate imperfection as a charming element in a work and value flow over flawless execution any day.
I like to direct in that area and some people get confused by the contrast between my apparent softness and lenience in my personal life and my work self.
At work I am forceful defending what I perceive as the best way to do things but to my defense I deliver good results too. And it's not that I'm the type that can't take criticism, because my absolute favorite people to work with are other perfectionists. :rightful:
I like informed criticism, but don't really have much appreciations for criticism that's actually just opinions or likes and dislikes in disguise.

But as work goes... I think I should exercise more patience in communication, as people tend to be so put off by the straightforwardness of it sometimes...But my personal polemical style is also amalgamation of those mars and uranus elements, and are actually what people like about my work as an artist... so it's tricky. But generally people, and about 90% of the people I have worked with would consider me a nice, affectionate friend...maybe a little bigmouthed at times, but a pleasant kind of a person.

Squapius

Banned
Hello Valis :)

I have an afflicted jupiter that is in detriment in virgo conjunct my mars in leo and I also have abundant energy and courage, but the afflicted jupiter tends to manifest as negative criticism, which I direct at myself (I'm a creative person, mars in Leo). I have had real problems with paralyzing perfectionism and though I'm careful not to criticize others the way I do myself it does inadvertendly shine through when everyone else may be happy with some group effort but I won't be unless it's spectacular... Though I'll pretend to like it not to offend other people's feelings I'm sure my lack of genuine joy comes accross. Then in turn people are often tempted to criticize me and I do get alot of excessive criticism from creative partners. ...maybe it's the same type of a deal.
07-14-2011 10:59 AM

I understand why you hate your problem. When jupiter is in virgo then growth is expected to be achieved by perfecting what you have at your disposition and your habilities.
Leo doesn´t feel like it needs to be improved, I guess that it must get you anxious.

It could be that you have got conditioned and then what you expect from certain situations is to be critiqued.
Sometimes the solutions to this problem are to
be aware of what is conditioning your reactions, emotions and way of being.
Sometimes people it´s not aware of what exactly is bothering them and if they don´t know it they can´t work on it and return to their original way of being.

Squapius

Banned
And speaking about the central theme of the thread, I´m going to answer you Twelthnight, I´ll respond you.
I think that mars isn´t a planet that wants to have anything to do with cooking and nourishing.

Cooking is about patience, care and affection. Those are not mars strenghts or qualities.

The crab finds everything valuable, that´s why he is very concerned and gets very upset if he sees something treatening the things he loves. That is like that because the nature of the crab is caring and sensitive and would do anything to protect what it loves.

Valis

Hello Valis :)

I understand why you hate your problem. When jupiter is in virgo then growth is expected to be achieved by perfecting what you have at your disposition and your habilities.
Leo doesn´t feel like it needs to be improved, I guess that it must get you anxious.

It could be that you have got conditioned and then what you expect from certain situations is to be critiqued.
Sometimes the solutions to this problem are to
be aware of what is conditioning your reactions, emotions and way of being.
Sometimes people it´s not aware of what exactly is bothering them and if they don´t know it they can´t work on it and return to their original way of being.

Well you're right on the money there: I'm very confident and very unconfident at the same time and it creates said inner tension that can be exhausting at times, and I don't care and I do care about external criticism at the same time too.:andy:
I try to go with the mars leo just to get things done, but the virgo jupiter is at the same time dying of horror going "It's not ready yet!!!!"

piercethevale

I have a weak Mars/Jupiter conj. Mars @ 04* Gemini 04' and Jupiter @ 29* Taurus 25' [about a 5* diff.]...As the Sabian Symbol for my Mars is:
[Rudhyar's book]
(GEMINI 5°): A REVOLUTIONARY MAGAZINE ASKING FOR ACTION.

KEYNOTE: The explosive tendency of repressed feelings and root emotions.

Every movement overstressing one direction calls forth in time an equally extreme movement in the opposite direction. This is particularly true at the level of the dualistic mind symbolized in the zodiac by Gemini. What is rigidly bound in form and convention tends to explode into formlessness. It may do so violently if socially oppressed — through revolution — or at the psychological level in psychosis; or it may withdraw inwardly into the mystical state in which one identifies with an unformulatable Reality....

... Whether the revolutionary action is violent or peaceful, bitterly resentful or loving, the one desire is TO REACH BEYOND ESTABLISHED FORMS."

Us Mars in Gemini folks prefer to fight with words...the intellect...and this symbol combinined with Jupiter in the last degree [anaretic degree] of Taurus...the sign of "I HAVE/POSSESS" ...and Jupiter being about Philosophy and acquiring MORE possessions...lead to some interesting confrontations in my life...esp. as Mars is basically un-aspected by any other influence.

Last edited:

Inconjunct

I see you were born on 9/11 - I bet your birthdays have been a barrel of fun the last few years!

Interesting that your Mars/Jupiter conjunction straddles the 10th/11th house borders. I tend to find the classical astro stuff about detriments and falls and what have you does work, so with Jupiter in his exaltation and Mars in his fall, it seems clear to me that the Jupiter energy is the stronger of the two. Jupiter is all about expansion, exploration, philosophy, spirituality and that old time religion; Cancer grounds what could be high-falutin energy and gives it humanity and sensitivity. As this is in your 10th house, I'm left wondering if you've ever thought of directing that energy into your career in some way?

Mars does not like being in Cancer at all. Mars is all about drive, ambition, energy directed towards getting your goals in life and doesn't have the time for all the mushy stuff that Cancer represents. Here, I'm left thinking that perhaps at times your emotions floor you, sap you of energy? Moon in Leo would suggest you feel and express those feelings in big, dramatic ways.

Last edited: