Afflicted moon and lunar cycles

kbell

I was going to post this in another topic, but kind of felt like I was hijacking that thread so decided to just post it here.

I have a question about indicators of emotional imbalance and hard aspects to my moon. I think the term would be afflicted moon or am I wrong there? Sorry I am still somewhat new at astrology.

I have mercury inconjunct the moon, and I find that I'm affected by the lunar cycles. My depression always seems worse from full moon (worst) until it seems to go away around the waning moon. Neptune is also in opposition of my moon. My emotions just seem really erratic at times. I realize this isn't mental illness, but it definately wears on me.

Jupiter (in 3rd house in placidus) squares my moon (jupiter is in 4th house in whole signs). My 4th house (was told this could indicate mental illness?) is split between 2 signs in placidus (aries and pisces) so that's neptune and mars who are in my 1st house together (whose ruler is Jupiter).

My moon has a lot of negative aspects. She is also in opposition of mars. No planets in 6th house of health, but the ruler is venus who is in 2nd house with my mercury and sun very close together. First house I have node, neptune, and mars very close together. My node is also in opposition of the moon. Neptune and the sun seem to be making a triangle that's pointing directly at my moon. She's in the 7th house of course. :pinched: Sadly yes when I was married that's when things got really crazy and I started acting all sorts of weird and emotional. My asc is also in opposition to my moon =/ Thank goodness the moon is one of the few planets I have a positive aspect with pluto.

I do have psychic abilities so I don't know if this plays any into things. I just seem to be very sensitive to things. I'm really empathic and I often find this a plus, but at times it's too much for me. I feel like I need to put up a mental wall so I'm not always so affected, but that's difficult for me. I base a lot of my decisions on intuition and how things feel to me.

I don't feel like I have a mental illness, but I feel like I'm afflicted mentally with weird moods and emotions. I feel like this is something I really need to conquer in order to be happy in my life because it's strained every relationship I ever had (friend, family, friends, and sometimes even work because I can be kind of moody). I feel like an emotional rollercoaster my whole life, but I haven't been diagnosed with anything but depression and ptsd (from childhood abuse). It's something I'm trying so hard to overcome, but it's been difficult. I feel like if I can just get a handle on this I can really shine because I have a lot of good qualities, but right now this is overshadowing the good by making me seem like an emotional wreck. I feel like at times I'm always at extremes, either high or low, and it's only with anti-depressants that I'm able to find a middle area. When the full moon comes, though, it's like I'm not even taking antidepressants though. I don't think I'm bipolar because I cycle very fast (up or down within hours). Something usually sets it off, though. I think I'm just emotional, but it's really exhausting at times.

Any insights about the moon?

edit: I did a lunar return chart, but I'm more interested in where my moon sits in my natal chart in general, the themes there, and what that says.

Last edited:

starlink

Hello Kbell, you are right I think in thinking that you are not mentally ill. I dont see any indication of that. Your 6th house of illness is ruled by Venus and Venus is found in your 2nd house, in Capricorn and conjunct Mercury. Now that could point towards depressive thought patterns at times, but nothing like mental illness.
If anything, you could more likely have problems with your teeth, bones, joints etc. as Capricorn points to all that and the 2nd house is also a Taurus house, known for stiff necks etc. and thyroid problems. The inconjunct from Mercury to your Moon is one of the problems you are experiencing, because Mercury also rules your Moon.

An inconjunct is often seen as an aspect which can cause illness, because of its 6th-8th house connection. The 8th house representing all sorts of traumatic experiences and the need for transformation and letting go, and the 6th for physical illness. In other words, that which is bothering you psychologically, could therefore cause physical problems. And because the Moon rules your 8th house, it therefore is quite clear to me where the problems come from. Yes, you are very intuitive indeed because not only does the Moon inconjunct your Mercury (mind), it also opposes Neptune and trines Pluto, all planets which can give deep insight and high sensitivity.

Your 3rd house ruler Uranus is in Scorpio, and in it's own 11th house, another "intuitive" position I would say and traditionally Aquarius is actually ruled by Saturn and we find Saturn in the Scorpionic 8th house, so you see that there are many 8th house/Scorpio connections found in your chart.

I would just take it in your stride when a full Moon is temporarily activating your emotionality. Just see in which house the full Moons fall, which aspects they make to your natal Moon and then wait and see how it affects you. I would write it down as well, so you will know when these lows are stronger and when not.

If you really want to do something about your "weird moods", I suggest you get some counseling, in order to go to the depth of your problem zone. See if you can deal with those "demons" inside, clearly caused by what you experienced in childhood. I dont think that an experience like that can be solved or handled by just doing your best to deal with it. Things like this cannot be done by ourselves, we need someone to unlock certain feelings which we hold onto. This is also typical 8th house stuff, as well as 12th house. Pluto rules that 12th house and trines the ruler of the 8th. I think you could benefit from counseling.

Good luck!

Starlink

kbell

Thank you. I've looked at my chart several times and the issues are there with the 8th house I think. I think you're right. Thank you for taking the time to look at my chart in regard to these matters. The people on this board are so kind.

Last edited:
Well done for articulating your moon's aspects. I have the moon opp neptune and trine pluto and I do things it offers psychic ability and sensitivity. Moon opp mars = bossy mother, but the quincunx is the main balancing act duo..

Moon Quincunx (Inconjunct) Mercury
You end up confused at times because you read more into communications than are there. It's good to be able to read between the lines - just make sure you are also reading what is on the lines. Your expectations and imagination are assets as soon as you are able to develop a method for expressing your true feelings. Since many of your feelings are hidden from you, self expression becomes a path of self discovery.

http://cafeastrology.com/natal/quincunxinterpretations.html

The Moon in the 7th House is an indication that the past life experience has been one in which partnerships were integral to the development. The memory of having been one of a partnership is usually so strong that a person with this placement tends to demonstrate a precocious interest in the opposite sex and frequently makes an early marriage. Only the overall pattern of the chart will indicate whether this desire to settle into a committed relationship can be made part of the present lifetime or whether there is a developmental need to strike out alone in order to develop a new facet of consciousness.
http://www.dkfoundation.co.uk/dkfoundation/BookKarmaHouse7.htm
http://www.astrology.com/aboutastrology/interpreting/houses/house7.html

Now T Saturn has squared you moon then conj your MC, now this may cause depression, keep you short of money and poss even come out of work cos of this.

What is more important is that T Pluto is now conj your Sun sign in Cappi, then mercury and then venus. So perhaps as much research into these as possible. We have a good search feature here on AW, bit like google.

Pluto transits to the Sun challenge us to face up to unexpressed or poorly expressed traits of our Sun sign, house, and aspects. We discover our own power and strength, and we re-work our very sense of identity, which invariably affects our life path. How we have defined ourselves to date is now challenged. In some cases, women live this transit through key male figures in their lives. These transits force us to confront our will, power, assertion, and authority. Sometimes, the relationship with the father or other important male figures come into focus. We face the need to be more independent, assertive, and autonomous
http://cafeastrology.com/plutotransits.html

kbell

The past life thing is pretty interesting. I know I need to be on my own in order to change and to grow, but part of me really wants and seeks that whole growing old with someone idea. I just haven't found anyone who can put up with me after a while. I usually wear them out with the emotional thing. I've been told when I'm happy I'm awesome to be around, but when I'm sad it's kind of a bummer. My friends love me, but they know how I am. It's starting to worry me I never will find anyone. I'm not one of those people who is afraid to be alone. I haven't had that many relationships, but the ones I've had are significant. I feel like I'm waiting for that one perfect person for me and I'll just know it when we meet. I know it sounds crazy. I use my intuition way too much on so many things, but it's obviously not helping :p It's kind of a detriment to not be very logical or realistic. I have a hard time being kind of a dreamer and a capricorn sun to boot.

The pluto transit is why I've been trying to figure out why I do what I do so I can work on it and move on and be happy. I don't like doing this, but I know it's for the best.

Last edited:

Nexus7

Well, do you get easily upset and angry, then feel guilty about it? D oyou tend to holdinconsistent feelings towards other people?

That is something that might be indicated by your Moon opposing Marsand Neptune. Also, your square between Mercury and Pluto is almost exact, which could indicate a tendency to bottle things up, until small resentments becme big ones.

These are the possible emotional issues that might be behind your 'roller-coaster' mood swings - the only answer being to 'work on yourself,' as other people have suggested. A Gemini Moon might tend to over-rationalise feelings, but where more aware, may be better at articulating that which cannot be articulated normally.

I do rather dislike that word 'afflicted' - 'afflicted moon.' But it could simply be in normal circumstances that such things as not having enough sleep, certain kinds of environmental stress, maybe even the wrong kinds of food, may easily overload an already sensitive body/mind system. It might be worth making sure that there is easy access to such things, though that may be easier said than done, considering the way the world, with its external necessitiesandobligations, may 'work.'

kbell

I don't usually get mad easily. I bottle things up sometimes, but when I do get mad I can say exactly what I think and then I feel guilty about it later because I don't like hurting people. I usually think of my emotions as a bottle also and when they get so full they spill over and that's when I can't contain them. I've tried lately to think about a huge giant box thirty feet tall to contain my emotions so that they feel dwarfed in comparison and so small. Then I feel like I can control it if I kind of visualize that. It's interesting to note that during the day I'm usually completely fine. It's only at night usually I get like this. If I express my feelings to someone I always feel better even if they're completely irrational and stupid. I don't know lol maybe I need to pay someone to listen to me.

R4VEN

I would just take it in your stride when a full Moon is temporarily activating your emotionality. Just see in which house the full Moons fall, which aspects they make to your natal Moon and then wait and see how it affects you. I would write it down as well, so you will know when these lows are stronger and when not.
That is very good advice from starlink.

I'm also a full moon and new moon watcher - have to be, as I have Moon in Cancer squaring Neptune. The last full moon had me a bit stressed, but to check out houses the moon and sun is in, and any aspects they make in transit can help you deal with the tension. I have all the full and new moons for the year ahead written in my appointment diary along with their placement - eg. 24 degr Gemini - and the exact time of the full or new moon at my location. That way, when I turn the page of my diary to a new week, I can also see what the Moon may be doing that week. Every little bit helps. :cool:

kbell

I think I'll do that. I see that the next full moon is on the 31st so I'll be prepared for that. I can get a handle on this and conquer it I'm sure :)

R4VEN

I think I'll do that. I see that the next full moon is on the 31st so I'll be prepared for that. I can get a handle on this and conquer it I'm sure :)
The key is to not be too hard on yourself. I generally begin to `feel' a full moon around 3 days before it hits. Knowing that my emotional - and often bodily - tension is due to this coming event helps me to just live with it and not take my intense feelings too literally. Then there is a `fullness' in the full moon which can sometimes take a few days to subside.

Once you begin being a `watcher' you will ge able to identify how you react, when and so-on. The full moons in Scorpio are often the most intense for the population at large.