favourite quotes?

It would be fun to read quotes you all like :smile:

Here are my favourites:

“The most terrible poverty is loneliness, and the feeling of being unloved.” - Mother Teresa

"Look for me first in any crowded room. And I'll do likewise.
Otherwise, a person ends up sleeping with somebody else." - From the movie The Opposite Sex. That was the only good part in the whole movie according to me.

and... Thomas Paine:
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit"

"The abilities of man must fall short on one side or the other, like too scanty a blanket when you are abed. If you pull it upon your shoulders, your feet are left bare; if you thrust it down to your feet, your shoulders are uncovered."

:sun: :pisces:
:mercury: Aquarius

SagiCap

My absolute favorite quotes look like this: " " They're a little curvier though... and maybe a teensy weensy bit longer.

astrowarrior

the one in my signature! I think I just love anything from the ancient greeks. It just makes me feel humble that they were nailing it with such great understanding nearly 2500 years before I was even alive!! The human race has made progress I hear you say? Pull the other one!!! :lol:

queenfluff

"Are you telling me we moved to the Murder Capitol of the World? Are you serious Grandpa?" - The Lost Boys

"You came back from the grave to tell me that I am odd?" - Far and Away

"Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies." - The Shawshank Redemption
"Damaged people are dangerous because they know they can survive." -Unknown

"No price is high enough to take my soul" - The Alarm

"What about nature's worth, It's our planet's womb. What about animals, We've turned kingdoms to dust. What about elephants, Have we lost their trust? What about crying whales, We're ravaging the seas. What about forest trails, Burnt despite our pleas. What about the common man, Can't we set him free?" - Michael Jackson, "Earth Song"

Oh, I like these two:

especially the first one! :biggrin:
Thanks for the replies so far by the way, very interesting!

EhTeam

[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]Before you begin on the journey of revenge, dig two graves. ~Proverb

[/FONT]It's not a Justice system. It is just a system.

“When eating a fruit, think of the person who planted the tree.”

“Never look down on anybody unless you are helping him up.”
Every girl should use what Mother Nature gave her before Father Time takes it away. Dr. Laurence J. Peter

Four things a woman should know: How to look like a girl,
How to act like a lady, How to think like a man, And how to work like a dog.

Religion is meant to be bread for daily use, not cake for special occasions

queenfluff

Oh, I like these two:

especially the first one! :biggrin:
Thanks for the replies so far by the way, very interesting!

Yeah, I wish I knew who did the first one - someone on another forum posted it up and it's been one of my favorites.

"No price is high enogh to take my soul" is from a song called "Blaze of Glory" by The Alarm. (my favorite band)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzJRDjpPS_I

Lyrics:
http://www.lyrics007.com/The Alarm Lyrics/Blaze Of Glory Lyrics.html

I have lots of quotes from that song that are favorites of mine. "You can take anything that you want from me but you can not take my soul. "

multiple

Account Closed
the one in my sig, he has written some other great quotes too, another favourite he said was "the price of being a sheep is boredom ,the price of being a wolf is loneliness. chose one or the other with great care."

edgar cayce's quote on dream premonition; "dreams are todays answers to tomorrows questions" the quote has more layers than just dream premonition imo ,could also be related to inspiration and aspiration,subconscious insight.

TwinFishWithHorns

"I am convinced that there are genuine and valid levels of perception available with cannabis (and probably with other drugs) which are, through the defects of our society and our educational system, un-available to us without such drugs." - Carl Sagan

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Heres Tom with the Weather." - Bill Hicks

*^Not promoting one should or should not do anything.^*

"Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy. As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions". In 1984, Huxley added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we hate will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we love will ruin us." - Neil Postman

1) “The apocalypse is not something which is coming. The apocalypse has arrived in major portions of the planet and it's only because we live within a bubble of incredible privilege and social insulation that we still have the luxury of anticipating the apocalypse. If you go to Bosnia or Somalia or Peru or much of the third-world then it appears that the apocalypse has already arrived.”

2) “Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.”

- Terence McKenna

piercethevale

"I am convinced that there are genuine and valid levels of perception available with cannabis (and probably with other drugs) which are, through the defects of our society and our educational system, un-available to us without such drugs." - Carl Sagan

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Heres Tom with the Weather." - Bill Hicks

*^Not promoting one should or should not do anything.^*

"Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy. As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions". In 1984, Huxley added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we hate will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we love will ruin us." - Neil Postman

1) “The apocalypse is not something which is coming. The apocalypse has arrived in major portions of the planet and it's only because we live within a bubble of incredible privilege and social insulation that we still have the luxury of anticipating the apocalypse. If you go to Bosnia or Somalia or Peru or much of the third-world then it appears that the apocalypse has already arrived.”

2) “Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.”

- Terence McKenna

...interesting quotes Tex.
Huxley took his mescaline trip on May 5, 1953...just some hours before I was born the next day....I fancy he was still "in the realm" when I did take my first breath.
The conjunction of Saturn and Neptune that was in affect was the perfect Celestial setting for such an endeavor and the subsequent writings.
I hope you don't mind if I borrow a couple of those quotes and put them on my FB page.
"Those that stand for nothing will fall for anything."...don't remember the author.
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled is convincing the world He doesn't exist." Kevin Spacey in His role, Keyser Söze, in the movie "The Usual Suspects".
"Dam n it Jim, I'm a doctor not a magician." Doc McCoy, 'Bones', Star Trek

Last edited:

TwinFishWithHorns

In a world of E-Books, I hope we don't forget about those alike Huxley. You know, computers tend to crash eventually. Not sure if it is time for them not to?

A good read I thought, was Dr. Rick Strassman's "DMT: The Spirit Molecule"

Oh, the Ouroboros!

"I pack my trunk, embrace my friends, embark on the sea, and at last wake up in Naples, and there beside me is the stern fact, the sad self, unrelenting, identical, that I fled from." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

^^^^^^\/\/\/\/\/\/^^^^^^

"The greatest trick the World ever pulled was convincing the Devil that he did exist." - Me

serafin5

"Freedom's just another word for nothing else to lose" -Janis Joplin Me & Bobby McGee

and I know we're talking quotes but these entire songs are priceless:
Take It To The Limit - The Eagles
The Heart of the Matter - Don Henley

EdgesOnCircles

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon" - Paul Brandt

"My karma ran over your dogma" - Unknown

"Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back" - Eugene O'Neill

And for those that don't know what to think about astrology:

"Astrology is like a weather report; it tells you what conditions you're likely to face in the future. If the weatherman says it's probably going to rain, you bring an umbrella. If you follow that advice, you won't get wet." - Lee Goldberg

gem81

"I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person." — Audrey Hepburn

Ben

Banned
When all the knots in the heart are unloosened, then even here in this human life, the mortal becomes immortal. This is the whole teaching of the scriptures. - UPANISHADS