Retrograde planets

Status
Not open for further replies.

tikana

Retrograde Planets
Definition:
From SKYSCRIPT: From the Latin "to step backwards", this term is applied to the apparent backward motion of the planets through the zodiac as they decrease in longitude as viewed from the earth.
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/gl/retrograde.html

The term Retrogradation has different interpretations in Natal to those it has in Horary questions.
It also has different meanings in Decumbiture charts.

In Vedic astrology, it is viewed as being more powerful.
http://www.astrojyoti.com/lesson7.htm

The sun and Moon do not go retrograde, but all other planets do.
Mercury goes retrograde more often than any other planet-usually about
3 times a year for a few weeks at a time.
This thread will contain Articles and Information about Retrograde
planetary activity.

Some useful links:
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/astro...y-stations.php

http://www.articlesbase.com/astrolog...s-1668846.html

http://wiki.astro.com/astrowiki/en/Retrograde_Motion

http://www.skyviewzone.com/astrology...adeplanets.htm

http://planetwaves.net/cainer/archive/000490.php

http://astrocom.com/articles/infospecials/IPROGX.pdf

http://www.khaldea.com/rudhyar/aspc/aspc_c11.shtml

http://www.drstandley.com/astrologyc...demotion.shtml

http://www.starseedjourneys.com/Retr...20Planets.html

http://www.signsofintelligence.com/f....php?f=5&t=227

http://www.lynnkoiner.com/astrology-...il-august-2007

http://www.slideboom.com/presentatio...t-Maria-Mateus

http://www.azastrologers.org/Article...adePlanets.pdf

Quotes from well known astrologers about Retrograde Motion.

I think that any retrograde planet tends to interiorize the expression
of the planet. It operates on a more subjective and covert level. The
meaning of a planet doesn't change, but the capacity for extroverted
expression is altered. - Liz Greene, The Outer Planets & Their Cycles,
(1983) (pg. xiii)

Astrologer Erin Sullivan points out in her excellent "Retrograde Planets" (Penguin Books 1992) that "the Aztecs saw Venus retrograde as a goddess assuming the guise of a man who walked the Earth for 40 days and 40 nights. (The retrograde period). When Venus meets the Sun he/she is sacrificed. After the retrograde conjunction Venus reappears in direct motion in the East just before sunrise and is considered to be reborn as the Morning Star. The Mayan people depicted Venus as a goddess of war at the time of the stationary direct Morning Star period, considering that she had risen up from the underworld "still sticky with the blood and bones of the dead".
References
RETROGRADE PLANETS: Traversing the Inner Landscape - Erin Sullivan

RETROGRADES IN DETAIL, by TIKANA

As you may know or noticed, the only 2 objects in our galaxy that do not go retrograde are Sun and Moon. The rest of them do.

In reality, planets do not go retrograde they are always direct but we on Earth can and do observe reverse motion which leads people to believe a planet is going backwards. As a result of such planetary motion, a retrograde planet in natal/transit/progressions charts will be greatly affected.

Some astrologers have a theory that a retrograde planet is a window, showing you who you were in a previous life and what you brought into this life which is still unresolved.

A lot of people have a planet that changes direction from direct to retrograde or vice versa after a few days of their birth. (because one day is the equivalent of one year in astrology, the person then can have a retrograde planet turn into a direct one after a few years of life, or vice versa) It has been mentioned in a few sources and my notes from the people I have studied, that if their natal planet is retrograde and it turns direct after a few days (=years), the natal planet in retrograde motion will still play a bigger role and the direct motion will have less impact on an individual.

So for example, an individual has Venus Retro, a few days later Venus went stationary then direct. That individual will still have a strong Venus’s retrograde effect EVEN THOUGH logically speaking, a retrograde Venus should be less powerful than direct. I can only explain this, by assuming that the very retrograde planet has the ability and capability to change its perspective more powerfully than a direct planet. Unfortunately, we cannot really test the effect of direct and retrograde condition on a person after a few days because the individual might be too young.

My other guess is that direct planets moves faster than a retrograde planet.
With a retrograde planet, you will end up having either aspects (e.g., opposition, square, etc.) or no aspects to a direct planet, or an aspect to another retrograde planet.

I think with a retrograde planet in your chart, there is a strong indication of adaptability and flexibility when it comes to its ability to express itself. If it doesn't oppose any planets, a retrograde natal planet is its own boss. Not only that, but it has no strict restrictions to control the retrograde planet and its force. It does not abide by any rules or regulations. I have noticed that retrograde planets with no other planets to aspect them, will be very free in their behavior.

We cannot say the same for a retrograde planet that’s in opposition with another natal planet . An opposition is basically a tug of war. Compromise is absolutely necessary. When you have a direct planet opposing a retrograde planet, the potential for growth and understanding (its true potential) is very limited.

Also, with this aspect you might end up losing control over the houses involved and have a strong desire or an internal never-ending battle between what is strong in you and what is weak in you. You may retreat and hide and try not to bring it out in the open which MAY create a self-destructive personality but that is rare. I haven’t seen that many self-destructive people with that opposition. There are usually other indications.

If a retrograde planet is conjuncting the direct oriented planet, the retrograde planet is in no way, shape or form weaker than any direct planet nor loses its own natural energy when turning direct, UNLESS there should be an opposition present. Retrograde planets express itself in a rebellious matter when the native least expects it. Of course, the location and rulership of such a planet should be analyzed to see how expressive the retrograde planet is.

Once you break down the retrograde planet in the chart and understand how a retrograde planet or planets express themselves in your chart, studying the house or houses should be analyzed next. Usually, I start with identifying in which group or groups your retrograde planet or planets are/is placed in.

The subjective domain group is placed from 10th through 3rd group. If there is a planet or planets that are located in any of those houses, the individual will need to learn lessons through his/her need to control life. Often, any number of retrograde planets show that the person is unable to have faith in him/herself.

The Objective domain group is located between the 4th and 9th house. Retrogrades in this section point to a person who is likely to have a lot of uncertainties and indecisions towards what he/she wants out of life.

If all of your retrograde planets are located above the horizon, there is a strong need for public life and often times; it is hidden on the subconscious level. This person will have to learn to be out in the open and go after success on his/her own. I have noticed that people with above the horizon retrogrades tend to drive extra hard to get to their goals. Often their frustrations and prohibitions are triggered by early childhood experiences and parents/guardians expectations of them.

Retrogrades below the horizon behave quite differently. If retrogrades above the horizon call on the individual to be out there in the open, retrogrades below the horizon call such individuals to have an eternal need for privacy and internal happiness. They tend to be more introverted without understanding why, nor having an ability to be more outgoing unless there are indicators of outgoing personality in the natal chart. I have looked at twelve individual’s charts and I could not figure out why these people who have literally nothing in common astrologically and personality had a strong need to sway the spotlight away from them and without arousing public attention.

In one case, a five year old child had a predominant number of planets below the horizon. Every time his parents would mention his great piano skills, the child would just take off to another room and cry. I narrowed it down to planets below the horizon but then I started paying attention to retrograde planets. It maybe a coincidence but this is what I noticed.

When I originally began my search for astrological explanation to define direct and retrograde planetary direction, I did not start with house location but I started with looking into quadrants.

References
Rohini Ranjan - Retrograde Planets: Another Perspective
Martin Schulman - Karmic Astrology: Retrogrades and Reincarnation
Yott, Donald H. Retrograde planets and reincarnation
Ingrid Naiman - Reincarnation and Retrograde Lecture notes
Saturn and reincarnation - By Jeanne Avery
PATTERNS OF THE PAST, The Birthchart, Karma & Reincarnation - Judy Hall
YESTERDAY'S SKY: Astrology & reincarnation - Steven Forrest
PAST LIVES, FUTURE CHOICES, The Astrology of Reincarnation - Maritha Pottenger
ASTROLOGY & PAST LIVES - Mary Devlin
COSMIC KARMA: Understanding your contract with the universe - Marguerite Manning
KARMIC ASTROLOGY: Past lives, present loves - Ruth Aharoni
DISCOVERING YOUR SOUL MISSION: How to use karmic astrology to create the life you want - Linda Brady & Evan St. Lifer
EYE OF THE CENTAUR, A visionary guide into past lives - Barbara Hand Clow
UNDERSTANDING RETROGRADES - Helen J. Adams
MORE ABOUT RETROGRADES - Helen Adams Garrett,
RETROGRADE PLANETS Transversing the Inner Landscape - Erin Sullivan
YOUR HIDDEN POWERS: Intercepted Signs & Retrograde Planets - Joanne Wickenburg,
Subtleties of Medical Astrology By Dr. K S Charak
Synthesis & counseling in astrology: the professional manual By Noel Tyl
Retrograde Planets: Traversing the Inner Landscape By Erin Sullivan
Astrology By Sanat Kumar Jain
The Complete Book of Spiritual Astrology By Per Henrik Gullfoss
The modern text-book of astrology By Margaret E. Hone
An astrological study of psychological complexes By Dane Rudhyar
Complete Astrology: The Classic Guide to Modern Astrology By Alan Oken
Evolutionary Astrology: Pluto and Your Karmic Mission By Deva Crystal Green
ABC of the Old Science of Astrology for Beginners By Sidney Randall
Astrology, Archetypes and Insight By Chandra Sammons
The Astrology of Family Dynamics By Erin Sullivan
Self-Evident Astrology By Jeffrey Sayer Close
Astrology for initiates: astrological secrets of the western mystery tradition By Papus, J. Lee Lehman
Elements of Astrology By L. D. Broughton
Chaldean Astrology By George Wilde
An astrological study of psychological complexes and emotional problems By Dane Rudhyar
Astrology for the age of Aquarius By Jan Kurrels
The Stars: A New Way to See Them By H. A. Rey
Astrology - Its Technics and Ethics By C Aq Libra
Astrology and Its Practical Application By E. Parker, Coba Goedhart
Astrology, science of knowledge and reason By Ellen H. Bennett
The outer temple of witchcraft: circles, spells, and rituals By Christopher Penczak
Practical Astrology: A Simple Method of Instruction in the Science of Astrology By Alan Leo
Astrology, psychology, and the four elements - Stephen Arroyo
Astrology: 30 Years Research By Doris Chase Doane
The elements of reincarnation By A. T. Mann

If there are retrograde planets located in 1st, 2nd or 3rd houses, it indicates that the individual learns lessons based on their "gut" decisions.He/she is often inclined to work very hard to perfect their intuitive capabilities.

Retrograde planets in 4th, 5th or 6th houses could show complications in love life and romances. It has been observed that these individuals tends to learn through their feelings. There is a tendency to misunderstand or idolize other persons feelings towards the native.

Retrograde planets in 7th, 8th or 9th, seem to be learning from sensation, which are the key to this person, He/she unlocks his/her hidden world by learning from others (i.e. western hemisphere focus deals with others and issues which are byond the control of the individual).

Retrograde planets in the 10th, 11th or 12th houses indicate a person who develops and expands themselves through "deep thinking" but they have to be careful about "overthinking" and losing their focus on the things they are trying to solve or fix. He/she is more likely to be obsessed with the thinking process rather than solving the problem or problems facing them and this "overthinking" can indicate a problem with live development, hindering them to progress.

Here are some direct book references to retrograde planets:

Helen J. Adams in her book “understanding retrogrades” on page 1 writes: “It is believed by many astrologers that the Moon is equivalent to a retrograde planet when it is slow in motion, moving less that 15 degrees in 24 hours.”

and

Donald H.Yod, in the beginning of his book" Astrology and Reincarnation" talks about how retrograde planets indicate types of reincarnation.

To discuss this subject/ the article, please visit the thread: DISCUSS - Retrogrades in the nutshell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mechanical Designs

Introduction to Retrogrades (Astro Psychology Oriented)

1. The transiting and Progressed Rx Planets make a huge impact on the individual's Psyche or pattern of thinking.

2. I am also adding each planets planetary Moon , which appears to retrograde with respect to the Planet

Mercury Retrograde
* reconsiders before speaking
* lots of inner conversation and thoughts
* expresses self better in writing
* feels misunderstood

Venus Retrograde

* reconsiders before expressing love or affection
* relates awkwardly to others
* doubts the love others offer
* can become obsessed in relationships
* feels let down by the commitment level of others

More examples can be found in Skyviewzone:
http://www.skyviewzone.com/astrology/retrogradeplanets.htm

The Planetary Moon Retrogration shows multiple levels which also have an effect on the individual Psyche . For more info on planetary moons:

Space Today Online - Moons of the Solar System -

Demois = Planetary Moon of Mars = Multiple Qualities of Mars

Ganymede = Planetary Moon of Jupiter = Multiple Qualities of Jupiter

Titian = Planetary Moon of Saturn = Multiple Qualities of Saturn

Miranada = Planetary Moon of Uranus = Multiple Qualities of Uranus

Triton = Planetary Moon of Saturn = Multiple Qualities of Neptune

Charon = Planetary Moon of Pluto = Multiple Qualities of Pluto *

*Please Note = Charon and Chiron are not the same!
a. Chiron = Being an Asteriod is associated with the wounded healer = I don't use Chiron so I am not talking about it .

b. I don't use Moon Nodes aka North Node and South Node

3.As a rule of my personal observation the Retrogradation generally starts affecting the individuals psyche 3 days prior to the actual retrogradation.

There are 3 phases in the Retrograde cycle .

Starting Phase
Middle Phase
Ending phase

How to find out the 3 phases of the Retrogradation?
Answer: Number of Days of Retrogradation / 3

Example: Mercury Rx has last almost 21 days
21 days /3 = 7 Days
Starting Phase = 7 days
Middle Phase = 7 days
Ending phase = 7 days

phases.gif

Just like a bell curve (Normal Distribution Curve) in Mathematics . The Middle phase of any Retrograde planet does affect the individual more than starting and ending phase of the Retrogration cycle.

Slower moving planets aka Jupiter, Saturn , Uranus , Neptune and Pluto have a larger impact in terms of Retrogration than Faster moving planet aka Venus , Mercury and Mars.

4. The Aspect involved with Retrograde Planets.

Every aspect in the Natal Chart has a Zodiac Sign Quality

a. Conjunction = Aries quality = Arousing Quality = Sun/Moon Triggered

b. Semi Sextile = Taurus and Piscean Quality = Mercury Triggered

c. Sextile = Gemini and Aquarius Quality = Stimulating Quality = Venus Triggered

d. Square = Cancer and Capricorn Quality = Stressful Quality = Mars Triggered

e. Trine = Leo and Sagittarian Quality = Harmonious Quality = Jupiter Triggered

f. Quincunx (Inconjunct) = Virgo and Scorpio Quality = Problematic Quality = Saturn Triggered

g. Opposition = Libra Quality = Complementary Quality = Saturn Triggered

Its important to note what type of aspect the planet is making with a Retrograde planet ,whether its an Opening or closing Aspect.

Opening Aspect = When 2 planets form a First XX angle ( XX = 30 , 60 , 90 , 120, 150 ) of their cycle and start out in the signs Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, or Virgo its called an Opening Aspect

Closing Aspect = When 2 Planets form the Last YY angle (YY = 30 , 60 , 90 , 120 , 150 ) of their cycle and start out in the signs Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, or Pisces, its called an Closing Aspect.

More in depth explanation of "Opening" and "Closing" Aspects

aspects.gif

[FONT=&quot]1.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Conjunction = 00= Aries Quality[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Semi Semi-Sextile = 30 = Taurus and Pisces Quality [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]**Aries Semi Sextile to Taurus = Opening Semi Sextile[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]**Aries Semi Sextile to Pisces = Closing Semi Sextile [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Sextile = 60 = Gemini and Aquarius Quality [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]** Aries Sextile to Gemini = Opening Sextile[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]** Aries Sextile to Aquarius = Closing Sextile[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Square = 90 =Cancer and Capricorn Quality[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]** Aries Square Cancer = Opening Square [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]**Aries Square Capricorn = Closing Square[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Trine = 120= Leo and Sagittarius Quality[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]** Aries Trine Leo = Opening Trine [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]**Aries Trine Sagittarius = Closing Trine [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Qunicunx = 150= Virgo and Scorpio Quality[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]**Aries Qunicunx Virgo = Opening Qunicunx[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]**Aries Qunicunx Scorpio = Closing Qunicunx.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Opposition = 180=Libra Quality[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Similarly here you can replace any Aries sign with any other sign. Generally the signs are from Aries to Pisces in an anticlockwise direction keeping the direction (Anticlockwise in mind) we have to see whether the aspect is opening of closing ..[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For example[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]let assume Mercury in Sagittarius Square Saturn in Pisces = its Closing Square since Sagittarius lies ahead of Pisces So the aspect is Capricorn Quality [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Another example Mars in Capricorn trine Venus in Taurus = here Capricorn is at the end and Taurus is ahead of though its start from end and finishes at the start hence its closing trine hence it will have an Trine Aspect will be closing hence it will have a Sagittarian Quality.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Similarly here you can replace any Aries sign with any other sign. Generally the signs are from Aries to Pisces in an anticlockwise direction keeping the direction (Anticlockwise in mind) we have to see whether the aspect is opening of closing ..[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For example:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]let assume Mercury in Sagittarius Square Saturn in Pisces = its Closing Square since Sagittarius lies ahead of Pisces So the aspect is Capricorn Quality [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Another example Mars in Capricorn trine Venus in Taurus = here Capricorn is at the end and Taurus is ahead of though its start from end and finishes at the start hence its closing trine hence it will have an Trine Aspect will be closing hence it will have a Sagittarian Quality.[/FONT]

According to the Huber school of astrology, there are 4 levels of experiencing any Aspect. If there is an aspect between a Retrograde planet and another planet, the person has a challenge in achieving these levels.

4 Levels of Aspects
a. Personal Level
b. Emotional Level
c. Mental Level
d. Transformational Level

Each and every individual should try to attain the 4th level.

Note about the "4 levels"

Think about the "levels" of a sign (e.g., such as for Scorpio: snake, lizard, scorpion, eagle). The basic idea is simple: different people use different "levels" of their energy. The more the person has worked with and developed themselves, the "higher" the level of energy they are able to "tap into".

The Huber school of astrological thought has developed this system to describe these different levels. These levels won't be appropriate for everyone, but it does show that there isn't simply one "hard and fast" rule for interpreting a particular aspect;the astrologer has to work to understand the person themselves in order to better understand how that aspect works in people's lives.

A few short steps to analyze a chart using the Huber school method:

1. Cast the chart at Astro.com or any Astrology Program you have
2. Count the number of Aspects which are highest in number from Conjunction to Opposition .
3. Let's say the number of conjunctions are 8 ...so its an indicator the individual core central theme of his/her life revolves round the Aries Quality. or There are 5 to 6 Trines, then its a Leo and Sagittarian Quality
4. Now check the number of Opening or Closing Aspect , If the number of aspect are closing aspects (example Closing Trines) then its Sagittarian Quality .
5. The Aspect define the core thinking pattern of the psyche .

References:
http://www.skyviewzone.com/astrology/retrogradeplanets.htm

You can comment on this article here:
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22386

Last edited by a moderator:

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Re: Introduction to Retrogrades (Astro Psychology Oriented)

*Below is a summary of a personal study regarding Mercury retrograde and its impact on a telephone service. Whilst it is acknowledged that such studies may not constitute definitive proof of a theory, the conducting of such studies can only add to the store of astrological knowledge we are sharing here*
Editor's Note.

RESEARCH - A Simple Mercury Retrograde Study
A Simple Mercury Retrograde Study
By Frank Piechoski

Thesis: Mercury retrograde disrupts communications.
If this statement is to hold up, only verifiable and documented communications interruptions and degradations should be used in any study that would seek to support the above thesis. This is a simple and preliminary attempt to do this.

Explanation of the Data Used

As some of you might know, my “benefits job” is with a major communications corporation (which will remain nameless to protect my continued employment there). Thus, I have access to some statistical information that might be used to test the above thesis. This short study is an attempt to do so.

The type of information I’m using is the number of trouble tickets left over that were unable to be worked by the end of each working day for the department – 11 p.m. The last appointed person to leave each night fills out a spreadsheet on how many tickets were left in the two main trouble ticket queues worked. This is for a telephony product using Voice over Internet Protocol (VOIP) technology.

An increasing number of tickets on the end-of-day report points to more trouble tickets being created during that day – hence more customers are having difficulty with their telephone service.

The two queues are:

Minor – These are tickets that completely disrupt communication, such as complete loss of dial tone and the inability to make or receive calls. The usual expectation is that someone in the department will work these tickets within an hour of their creation.

Degraded – These calls are for less severe problems, such as degraded call quality (static, distortion, etc.) and features not working correctly. The usual expectation for these tickets is that they be worked by someone within three hours.

Methodology:

I collected available data for both queues from the updated of the spreadsheet that is sent out every night at 11 p.m. I then determined the Mercury retrograde periods by running Solar Fire’s Dynamic Events Report. I then separated the collated monthly data from the spreadsheets into three extra worksheets – one that contained all the days, one that included only the days when Mercury was direct in motion, and one that showed only the days when Mercury was retrograde in motion. I designated the day Mercury stationed on both ends of the period as retrograde. I then tabulated the findings and determined the average tickets per day that were not worked by 11 p.m. under each condition. I also deleted any days for which no data was collected. The Mercury retrograde shadow period was not examined for the purposes of this brief study. The data was collected from July 2008 through January 2010 and included four complete Mercury retrograde periods and one partial one – the extent of the data available.

Results:

Total Tickets (498 days)
Average Number Tickets Left Per Day- Minor 54.775; Degraded 86.8

Mercury Direct (409 days)
Average Number Tickets Left Per Day - Minor 53.31; Degraded 83.95

Mercury Retrograde (89 days)
Average Number Tickets Left Per Day Minor 60.83; Degraded 98.81

As we can see by the above numbers, there appears to be a significant increase in the average daily number of tickets left over at 11 p.m. on days when Mercury was retrograde. The results of this study appear to support the thesis that Mercury retrograde disrupts communications.

© Copyright 2010 by Frank Piechoski

Last edited:

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Re: Introduction to Retrogrades (Astro Psychology Oriented)

VENUS RETROGRADE
Venus Retrograde occurs approximately every 20 months when, for about forty days, Venus travels in reverse motion. Of course, it doesn't really move backwards, but only appears to do so from our point of view here on earth.
If a person was born the day of a Venus station, about to turn retrograde, it means that they will experience the Venus Retrograde in their Progressed chart for the first 40-43 years of their life.(A progressed chart is where the position of the planets in the sky one day after birth is the progressed chart at age 1; two days after birth=age 2 and so on, using a one degree per year progression for the planets....)

GetAttachment.aspx

Courtesy Erin Sullivan

Venus (and every other planet) is said to work in an internal way, and Venus in retrograde mode indicates that love and sensuality may not be expressed in an appropriate external way.

Venus retrograde can result in people sometimes feeling poor at an emotional level and feeling that they are incapable of love or may find it hard to express their love to others. This can make them appear selfish. Through retrograde Venus people try to find the perfection in love, art and study. They can feel inner love but can't express it in the best way. Having a Venus retrograde in the Natal chart can cause some people to have problems receiving love. As a result they may find it easier to be independent in their close relationships.

Sometimes those with Retrograde Venus may express even aggressive or possessive attitudes to others or it could indicate a person who cannot handle a divorce in an appropriate way, so they can't leave (abandon) the relationship. They like to have the control of their partner. This can be made worse if Venus is afflicted in the chart by house placement and aspects.Conversely, a dignified Venus may not be as difficult if it strongly placed by sign and house and not afflicted by hard aspects.

People with Venus Retrograde, natally, may find they have problems with emotional frustration and other times loss of self-control. This internal confusion can block the person from reaching emotional maturity. This pressure also could appear at a financial level where it can cause delays in regard to financial expectations. Venus naturally rules Houses seven and two in astrology. House 7 relates to our significant others and House two deals with our material well being, and our self worth.

When Venus goes direct after retrogression, it is a time for re-evaluation in life as Venus operates at very deep levels and needs time to close all the unfinished processes. Chaotic emotions and insecurity could be noticed , even unusual attitudes to others may be a theme, until the Native establishes their new values reflecting what they have learned and what they face now.
Initially they may resist the need to change their values and move on from what they have learnt and experienced. They may feel emotionally isolated because of the confusion they feel.
Releasing the old ways of dealing with relationships and money could be very liberating as they start to express their feelings and establish new exterior values. They feel free to go on (direct) in their lives in a different way (direction).

Retrograde Venus can be associated with death. Astrologer Erin Sullivan points out in her excellent "Retrograde Planets" (Penguin Books 1992) that "the Aztecs saw Venus retrograde as a goddess assuming the guise of a man who walked the Earth for 40 days and 40 nights. (The retrograde period). When Venus meets the Sun he/she is sacrificed. After the retrograde conjunction Venus reappears in direct motion in the East just before sunrise and is considered to be reborn as the Morning Star. The Mayan people depicted Venus as a goddess of war at the time of the stationary direct Morning Star period, considering that she had risen up from the underworld "still sticky with the blood and bones of the dead".

References
RETROGRADE PLANETS: Traversing the Inner Landscape - Erin Sullivan

Docker

Status
Not open for further replies.