Saturn is a grandmother

Osamenor

Staff member
My Saturn is in Cancer, and none of my grandparents were Cancers. None of them were Capricorns either, which is my ascendant. However, my dad is a Cancer... a double Cancer, in fact. And he's very nurturing and empathetic, always has been... classic Cancer traits.

Interestingly, I have my fourth house cusp in Aries, which is my mom's sun sign, and I've had an astrologer tell me fourth house is associated with the mother. So for me, there's a neat synchronicity.

However, my siblings don't have those same configurations, and yet they do have the same set of parents, so obviously, it's not a reliable indicator.

Bunraku

Omg My Saturn is in Pisces. And my grandmother has Venus conjunct Mars conjunct Uranus in Pisces.

So now I know where I got my Venus conjunct Mars from. It really does run in the family :lol:

Looks like my mother's side of the family have very strong personalities and overpower the male's personality when passing it down to the child. The women are very strong. I inherited my mother's personality more, and not my father's (I did inherit his Sun+Pluto lol).

I can also see the Moon+Neptune aspects run from my Mom's side of the family.

My Mom and Grandmother are very water heavy, and they both have lovely Moon signs. I don't know HOW I ended up getting a fire moon and all fire planets. :pinched: But it does rest on my 4th house, so that's something.

Ahh!!!! I wish I could keep going back in time to see charts and their evolution across generations. Can someone invent a time machine? :rightful:

Bunraku

My Saturn is in Cancer, and none of my grandparents were Cancers. None of them were Capricorns either, which is my ascendant. However, my dad is a Cancer... a double Cancer, in fact. And he's very nurturing and empathetic, always has been... classic Cancer traits.

Interestingly, I have my fourth house cusp in Aries, which is my mom's sun sign, and I've had an astrologer tell me fourth house is associated with the mother. So for me, there's a neat synchronicity.

However, my siblings don't have those same configurations, and yet they do have the same set of parents, so obviously, it's not a reliable indicator.

Pardon? There was a big discussion around in the house cusps section declaring that the 4th house is the father and the 10 is the mother, and you might want to check that out.

Love2Know

Pardon? There was a big discussion around in the house cusps section declaring that the 4th house is the father and the 10 is the mother, and you might want to check that out.

Yeah i read material debating both... personally i think the governing house of cancer should be the mama¿ Anyways....shes a brick house shes mighty mighty letting it all hang out.

Last edited:

Love2Know

saturn and mars are male archetypes, the female thing about saturn is that it conforms to the rules it receives them, while mars doesn't care about them

mars = young guy full with hormones hot headed looking for fun and he's all over the place

saturn = realistic middle aged guy with career and habits

sun = the career guy in his early 50's after he managed to rise to the top

moon and venus are female

mercury is androgenous

jupiter is mostly male but the priest/priestess is generally above the conventional rules

neptune, uranus is adrogenous

pluto is a sociopathic male

Lol sociopaths are mainly as western phenomenon... also personally I like to think of mercury as a hipster lesbian sipping an americano aka the musical stylings of sister lebians Tegan and Sara.

Last edited:

Love2Know

using that analogy

saturn conjunct mars square sun = christian grey

Yeah i look but i have a picture in my closet that has aged terribly:) the amount of times ive used that joke.. total fail with my peers. Op i am thinking of dorian grey who might have a sat ascendent.. with some crazy neptune stuff
My bestie aka my son has saturn 1st on ascendent scorp and some of my girlfriends and guy friends said hes goung to grow up sexy. Im actually scared i know they try to flatter but it makes me feel protective like stay away Omg! He is my innocent struttle dove. He look like my twin with a less round face.

Last edited:

Love2Know

christian grey is the main character of 50 shades of grey

dorian grey sold his soul to the devil for immortality and ability to regenerate by absorbing youth from others, that's plutonic

two distinct types of people

Yeah i was gunna throw in a pluto aspect but it is possibly in connection to neptune.

roz

to me saturn is more like that messed up uncle with a deadend job and an alcohol problem... (saturn in aquarius, 6th house)

btw i dont get why would any planets or aspect have anything to do with your family or ancestors, isn't it supposed to be YOUR birth chart?

greybeard

"YOUR" chart contains people and things that have influenced you in some way. Illustrating this, the 4th House is "family" and "heritage" (ancestral roots). The 3rd is siblings and neighbors, the 5th your own children, the 10th your boss.... "You" do not live in a vacuumj.

I have no idea why Erich Bauer, the German astrologer, thinks Saturn is "grandmother". Greybeard, the American astrologer, does not agree.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
I said that was what an astrologer told me. I wasn't talking about what people might've discussed on here!
saturn and mars are male archetypes, the female thing about saturn is that it conforms to the rules it receives them, while mars doesn't care about them

mars = young guy full with hormones hot headed looking for fun and he's all over the place

saturn = realistic middle aged guy with career and habits

sun = the career guy in his early 50's after he managed to rise to the top

moon and venus are female

mercury is androgenous

jupiter is mostly male but the priest/priestess is generally above the conventional rules

neptune, uranus is adrogenous

pluto is a sociopathic male
To my mind, all of the planets can be either gender. The only reason we assign them gender at all is to make them fit our ideas of archetypes, and which gender those archetypes are could easily change depending on what mythology we're drawing them from.

Mars, for instance, was named after a war god. He does sound very masculine, our culture's most extreme definition of masculinity. But there are also some hotheaded, tough as nails war goddesses in certain mythologies. If we had named the planets using a different pantheon than the Greco-Roman one, Mars might be Morrigan instead, or Kali.

You see Pluto as a sociopathic male. Within our culture, murderous sociopaths are almost always male, so that fits. But shift the culture and the expression of the archetype, and again, we could have a bloodthirsty Kali instead. And the overarching meaning of the Pluto name and archetype is ruler of the underworld. Again, if we'd used a different pantheon to name Pluto, we might be calling that planetoid Hel or Ereshkigal, after an underworld goddess.

As for Saturn, he could indeed be a middle aged career guy with realistic habits... but he is also a stern taskmaster who sets seemingly impossible tasks. To me, that sounds a lot like Baba Yaga, saying fill this sieve with water... so, right there, a grandmother! Or the Celtic goddess Arianrhod, known for setting impossible tasks that could only be completed by finding the right loophole.

Osamenor

Staff member
Nawww gender is just to see if the energies are active and passive. They're not that literal.
In other words, yin or yang energy. That works, too.

However, some people do give the planets more literal personas, like our friends wayfarer and Love2Know. If you're someone who likes to think of them that way, those personas could be expressed in either gender. They might be expressed differently, but they're definitely expressed.

And if Saturn has an active, masculine yang energy, Baba Yaga sounds much more active to me than a middle aged career guy sitting in an office!

roz

"YOUR" chart contains people and things that have influenced you in some way. Illustrating this, the 4th House is "family" and "heritage" (ancestral roots). The 3rd is siblings and neighbors, the 5th your own children, the 10th your boss.... "You" do not live in a vacuumj.

I have no idea why Erich Bauer, the German astrologer, thinks Saturn is "grandmother". Greybeard, the American astrologer, does not agree.

yes, but isnt it more about how we experience family, neighbours etc than that the people around us would actually be influenced by certain placements in our charts??

greybeard

What we call "outer reality" is in fact nothing more than our inner self projected onto the external canvas. In effect, our mind creates our world.

All of life and its experiences occur wholly in the mind and nowhere else. Our world is subjective...it is our inner experience of the train running over us that is "real".

So, yes. The chart shows "our experience", because it is only our subjective experience that is our reality. But the persons represented will conform closely to the symbolism of the chart. They are real people (or events) in the normal sense of the word real. The answer to the question might be, "Yes, And...."

In horary astrology very specific descriptions of individuals are possible, much more than in natal astrology because it is the function of horary astrology to deal with the specific instance. In horary art, we might say with confidence that "The thief is of a ruddy or swarthy complexion, of medium stature, is in the company of an older and sickly man, and will be found in such and such a direction at this distance."

The "placements in charts" you mention are "secondhand", or "at one remove". Your chart is about you, but information regarding third parties is available in the chart. Our chart does not influence those around us (except as our behaviors, determined by our charts, influence them. Our chart does not "make them" a certain way...but it does tell us what they will be like.

What we read in a chart is dependent on what we are looking for as well as our personal inclinations. A single planet, or a combination of planets in some aspect, can give us all sorts of information. Suppose we have a quincunx of Moon to Uranus. This combination has to do with the emotional state or nature, with the mother, with the parental and subsequent families, with travel, with relationships with women (and the "feminine") in general, with roots and all sorts of things. Most of these things will manifest at their due time in some "physical" way.

I have this aspect in my own chart. My mother was a bohemian, a free spirit, eccentric.... So the aspect describes "my experience" of my mother, but it also describes my mother as she actually lived her life. Yes, And....

Last edited:

Bunraku

In other words, yin or yang energy. That works, too.

However, some people do give the planets more literal personas, like our friends wayfarer and Love2Know. If you're someone who likes to think of them that way, those personas could be expressed in either gender. They might be expressed differently, but they're definitely expressed.

And if Saturn has an active, masculine yang energy, Baba Yaga sounds much more active to me than a middle aged career guy sitting in an office!

It makes for great stories though! That's why I let it slide :lol::lol:

roz

What we call "outer reality" is in fact nothing more than our inner self projected onto the external canvas. In effect, our mind creates our world.

All of life and its experiences occur wholly in the mind and nowhere else. Our world is subjective...it is our inner experience of the train running over us that is "real".

So, yes. The chart shows "our experience", because it is only our subjective experience that is our reality. But the persons represented will conform closely to the symbolism of the chart. They are real people (or events) in the normal sense of the word real. The answer to the question might be, "Yes, And...."

In horary astrology very specific descriptions of individuals are possible, much more than in natal astrology because it is the function of horary astrology to deal with the specific instance. In horary art, we might say with confidence that "The thief is of a ruddy or swarthy complexion, of medium stature, is in the company of an older and sickly man, and will be found in such and such a direction at this distance."

The "placements in charts" you mention are "secondhand", or "at one remove". Your chart is about you, but information regarding third parties is available in the chart. Our chart does not influence those around us (except as our behaviors, determined by our charts, influence them. Our chart does not "make them" a certain way...but it does tell us what they will be like.

What we read in a chart is dependent on what we are looking for as well as our personal inclinations. A single planet, or a combination of planets in some aspect, can give us all sorts of information. Suppose we have a quincunx of Moon to Uranus. This combination has to do with the emotional state or nature, with the mother, with the parental and subsequent families, with travel, with relationships with women (and the "feminine") in general, with roots and all sorts of things. Most of these things will manifest at their due time in some "physical" way.

I have this aspect in my own chart. My mother was a bohemian, a free spirit, eccentric.... So the aspect describes "my experience" of my mother, but it also describes my mother as she actually lived her life. Yes, And....

Makes sense to me now, thanks!

Neptunia

This is a really interesting theory! :happy:

My Saturn is in Aries and as far as I know.. none of my grandmothers or grandfathers have been Arians. I could be wrong of course.. ;) I have only known two pairs of grandparents.

But one thing that strikes me about this theory is that, I had a grandmother who was Capricorn Sun - My 10th house is ruled by Capricorn = Saturn :) So, in that way.. :D

~ Neptunia