Making Best Use of Saturn Transits

Kannon

Saturn and Jupiter act as yin and yang with their dynamics of contraction and expansion. How well do you handle this ebb and flow?

This is part of the art of living. Contraction is not "bad" and expansion "good." They are companions of polar contrast. It reminds me of what Lao Tzu's second poem implies about preferences for one side of perceived opposites, that when the preference for beauty becomes strong enough it becomes ugly. Instead these opposites should be understood as being part of one another, creating one another, not separate options to be chosen.

How well we handle the inevitable ebb and flow from Jupiter expansion to Saturn contraction is a pretty good predictor of our future happiness.

My blog post, Making Best Use of Saturn:
http://kannonmcafee.wordpress.com/2014/08/20/making-best-use-of-saturn/

---

Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching:
http://www.yellowbridge.com/onlinelit/daodejing02.php
http://www.with.org/tao_te_ching_en.pdf

Lin

The thing about Saturn transits is that only in hindsight can you see how Saturn helped or taught you ....or made "something else" possible which can lead to a more independent future.
They are hard to go through...sometimes they feel as though they will never end...but they do....but Saturn is the planet of "necessity." You just can't evolve as a human being without restructure.

The important thing to remember is that when you feel Saturn is the "bad guy" in your life at any time....PLEASE look at the positions of Pluto, Neptune and Uranus at the same time to be sure you are not attributing ALL your ills to Saturn.
IF Neptune is also active at the same time....or any heavy planet....you need to study that transit independently to separate out the issues involved...as often there is more than one issue.

AND if you are in a relationship, make sure you check out the "other persons" heavy planet transits to see if they are also being attacked at the same time. This will make you realize that you are not to "blame" nor can you "fix" the issue which is affecting both of you.
Just a thought.
LIN

miquar

I don't think that any transit necessarily requires hindsight to understand it. With humility and self-honesty, we can become one with Saturn during the transit, thereby achieving the optimum growth in consciousness.

miquar

We all have the option of being present with whatever is unfolding in our consciousness. This can never be reduced to a set of astrological signatures, let alone a single transit, and astrology can easily undermine our capacity for presence as we dissect and analyse our celestial reflection. Its not really a question of how much we understand any given transit (or progression or whatever), past or present, but rather of how present we are right now. But to note the strongest transits, etc can be a useful initial step in bringing the needs of the moment into sharper focus - highlighting those misguided notions of reality which are most susceptible to dissolution.

Flapjacks

Thank you Kannon!

The important thing to remember is that when you feel Saturn is the "bad guy" in your life at any time....PLEASE look at the positions of Pluto, Neptune and Uranus at the same time to be sure you are not attributing ALL your ills to Saturn.
IF Neptune is also active at the same time....or any heavy planet....you need to study that transit independently to separate out the issues involved...as often there is more than one issue.

LIN

Saturn is frequently seen as the mediator between the "inner" personal planets and the "outer" trans personal ones. I think this is a great perspective for how the transits tend to operate, and Saturn's relationship with "boundaries".

In my experience, looking over my life events and transits, a strong Saturn transit that hits while outer planets have heavy transits at the same time or are just ending, tends to complete whatever those transits brought up. Saturn seems to clarify and structure, which can feel either restricting or constructive depending on the circumstances. I am in the middle of one right now: t. Neptune opposing Venus/square ASC, t. Uranus square Mars, t. Pluto conjunct Mars/trine Venus, and now in a couple months will be 1st Saturn return (Saturn is ruler of my Mars), square Venus and opposing ASC, squaring t. Neptune. In previous occurrences of this kind of setup (last time over the ASC and this time is over the DSC), the completion of Saturn's transit brought a lot of stability for me after the mess the other planets created.

Last edited:

Lin

And Neptune square your Saturn....this is a transit that has "lingering" effect....even when it's done...unlike most transits which once over ....it's over.

It's kind of like if you get caught in a storm without the proper raingear. It takes a while to dry off, clean up the puddles you trek it, dry your hair, take care of your wet clothes...etc.
Getting things 'back to normal', so to speak.

Saturn transits are like this: you carry a big sack of burdens around and then when the transit is over you put it down. You can remember the sack....and you can vow not to get the sack that heavy again....LOL...but it's over...and a relief.

Each heavy planet has residual effects....according to where they occur in your particular chart, if it was a "lone" transit, or ....unluckily...sometimes a heavy planet goes from one heavy transit to another in a short time....and sometimes in a totally different area...one where you assumed "all was well."
that's why you need to read both the natal and transits holistically.
LIN

waybread

There is a truism from modern astrology, that the more difficult the experience of a transit, the less it indicates that the person has fully owned and incorporated the positive meaning of that planet in their lives. When a supposedly difficult transit comes and goes for someone without much notice, s/he probably has "owned her inner Saturn" (or Neptune, Pluto, whatever.)

Saturn's lessons are not a lot of fun, but they are sooooo helpful. Patience, hard work, deferred gratification, learning to get by with very little, frugality, facing adversity with some stoicism or acceptance...... you get the picture. But these are excellent habits to develop in life. Supposedly Saturn rewards his pupils later in life. I think this is true, but you never stop taking them seriously.

Rarely, with someone like an ultra-Capricorn, these virtues can become unnecessary hardships.

Are you all familiar with finance guru Suze Orman? www.suzeorman.com . She is a very funny, gutsy lady, who happens to give hugely Saturnian advice to people on how to manage their personal finances. (This advice isn't for the big, savvy investors, but for ordinary people facing a financial crisis, paying off student loans, hoping to buy a house, retire, &c.) She's a good example of how to combine Jupiter and Saturn.

miquar

Saturn's lessons are not a lot of fun, but they are sooooo helpful. Patience, hard work, deferred gratification, learning to get by with very little, frugality, facing adversity with some stoicism or acceptance...... you get the picture. But these are excellent habits to develop in life. Supposedly Saturn rewards his pupils later in life. I think this is true, but you never stop taking them seriously.

I do agree with this, but perhaps a more profound benefit of Saturn is that the very act of accepting these necessities brings a deep sense of tranquility. Without this acceptance we experience the frustration and despair that is commonly associated with Saturn. Deferred gratification and self-discipline can be applied with or without this acceptance, and therefore with or without the likelihood of frustration and despair occurring along the way.