Arabic Parts: where to learn more

Jesse Booth

Does anyone know a good website for info on arabic parts? I need a list of arabic parts, the formulas used to calculate them, and an explanation of their meanings in each sign.

Zarathu

Account Closed
Have you searched the archive here??? I know that we have had this question come up many times. Since I have several long books on them, I haven't paid attention, but the answer to this question should be here already.

JUPITERASC

Does anyone know a good website for info on arabic parts? I need a list of arabic parts, the formulas used to calculate them, and an explanation of their meanings in each sign.
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]AL BIRUNI'S LIST OF PARTS http://www.skyscript.co.uk/alparts.html [/FONT]
Compiled & annotated by Deborah Houlding

EXTRACTED FROM AL BIRUNI'S TEXT

THE BOOK OF INSTRUCTION IN THE ELEMENTS OF THE ART OF ASTROLOGY :smile:
(written at Ghaznah, 1029 AD), following the R. Ramsay Wright translation (1934)

Jesse Booth

Also, have you tried Google?

Here is one that came up immediately in google: http://www.sarahsastrology.com/page30.htm

Z

As I said at the beginning of the thread, I am looking for a site with an explanation of the meaning of various lots in each sign(i.e. part of spirit in aries, in taurus, ect.), not just the formulas. As a teenager, I do not posess the resources to launch an experiment involving a thousand+ individuals to understand how arabic parts manifest their influence in each sign, and I'm tired of sorting through pages and pages of search results for what I need, only to find yet another list of formulas, or another explanation of the part of fortune. I figured that a forum full of astrologers might have the answer to my problem. Also, I am not yet old enough to get a credit card, making online purchase of such information impossible. The website you referred has more information for sale, for all the good it does me. Also, I've run across it plenty of times already. So far, the only parts I've ever managed to find an actual explanation for have been fortune and spirit. What I'm most interested in adding to my chart readings are the parts of fate, friends, homosexuality, hopes and wishes, love, and treachery. These would be the most useful with the questions I get from my friends/customers.

dr. farr

You'll really have to study the books for the meanings (use of the Lots, ie "Arabic Parts", being an advanced field of astrological investigation) such books as: Zoller's "The Arabic Parts", Granite's "The Fortunes of Astrology". and Weber's "Arabian Parts Decoded", all available from such sites as Amazon Books and astroamerica.com

JUPITERASC

You'll really have to study the books for the meanings (use of the Lots, ie "Arabic Parts", being an advanced field of astrological investigation) such books as: Zoller's "The Arabic Parts", Granite's "The Fortunes of Astrology". and Weber's "Arabian Parts Decoded", all available from such sites as Amazon Books and astroamerica.com
[
/QUOTE]

This review is from:

THE FORTUNES OF ASTROLOGY:
A NEW, COMPLETE TREATMENT OF THE ARABIC PARTS (PAPERBACK)
FROM BOOK'S BACK COVER:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Fortunes-Astrology-Complete-Treatment/dp/0917086279

'….." It was the Arabic astrologer, Al-Biruni
who in 1029 AD
gave the most exhaustive existing list of the Fortunes, often also known as the "Arabic Parts."
He collected them from all over the world,
from past civilizations
and even from some mysterious people referred to as "the Ancients."

Al-Biruni is to be considered the foremost authority on this subject
. :smile:
Yet,
until now
his information on the Fortunes has neither been presented in full
nor updated for modern times.....'

'….In Fortunes of Astrology, Robert Hurzt Granite has analyzed and demonstrated the original techniques
by which these mysterious Fortunes were employed by the great astrologers of a millenium past.

Perhaps for the first time since Al-Biruni's day,
these methods are presented simply and clearly.

All 158 Fortunes listed in Al-Biruni's Elements of Astrology are given by Granite,
including special Fortunes for mundane astrology,
horary and forecasting the commodities market.
Another 99 Fortunes from more contemporary sources are included as well."....'

Phoenix Venus

Hey J.B.

There is a comprehensive and ongoing list of the arabic parts and their titles here at the forum:

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39338

And one of the best ways to interperet the arabic parts is by looking up each part's degree placement via the sabian symbols.

(the symbols go from 1-30 instead of 0-29 so read the next number up for instance if you have a planet at 9.22 aries, read the symbol for 10 aries.)

Here are all of the sabian symbols as interpereted by Dane Rudhyar in "An Astrological Mandala"

http://www.mindfire.ca/An Astrological Mandala/An Astrological Mandala - Contents.htm

Hope this helps. :joyful:

Ghazi

Hello!

Already calculated the "Arabic Parts", but do not know what that means. For example, what does mean "Parts of Children" (Asc + Sa - Ju) 15 Taurus 6 or "Hyleg" on 8 Sagitarius 14?

serafin5

Hi Jesse! I wanted to share with everybody a site I found that has a "parts" list and a calculator too. It is called "TheLibraCentre".com.

Good luck!
S5

JUPITERASC

Hello!

Already calculated the "Arabic Parts", but do not know what that means.

For example, what does mean "Parts of Children" (Asc + Sa - Ju) 15 Taurus 6 or "Hyleg" on 8 Sagitarius 14?
'ARABIC PARTS' AKA 'LOTS' - PILLARS OF FATE http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47124
I'm opening this thread in order to practically put in use certain (so called) arabic (or Greek) lots
by analyzing certain charts of the celebrities.

I will try to use AA ratings of charts of celebrities given on the site Astro-Databank,
and convert these charts in to whole sign house system
because it was a house system used by Hellenistic astrologers who used these lots.

In general my examination will be concentrated on particular lots
like the Lot of Fortune (LOF),
Lot of Spirit (LOS),
Lot of Basis (LOB),
Pars Hyleg (PH),
Part of Exaltation (short: Exaltation).

I will add some other lots sporadically.

I welcome all of you who are interested in this lots and their practical use to participate in this discussion and we may learn through it.

I will start with a great introduction by the great authority on the subject Curtis Manwaring:
Quote:
Greek lots (also known as arabic parts) are sensitive points in a birth chart based upon the positions of the planets at birth, and the ascendant (with a few exceptions). The theory is that the planets in the heavens signify the more general circumstances that exist in the world at any given moment in time. What makes these planetary relationships unique to the individual is the way the individual exists in them, in relation to their ascending degree and sign. In essence, the lots are a tool that help the cosmic soul see how a relationship formed in the heavens applys to an individual through the use of analogy. For example, the cosmic soul says, for instance (lot of father), I know what the relationship of fatherhood is in the heavens; it is like the relationship between Saturn and the Sun. The distance between them is the implied relationship. So if the native is like the Sun, place the Sun on the ascendant and the distance between the Sun/Asc to where Saturn falls out in relation to the Sun is like the relationship the native has to his father. Another way of stating this is: "As Saturn is to the Sun, so too is the father to the native". The same principle extends to the other lots.

LOF is called the Lunar Horoscope (ancients called the ascendant - horoscope). The Moon in traditional astrology is representative of the Body in general (the ascendant as well), so LOF as Lunar Horoscope is a representative of the general health of the native, a source of wealth and well being (and this is not money and worldly success only, a good health condition is also Fortuna!).
Paulus from Alexandria says:

Quote:
"And fortune signifies everything that concerns the body, and what one does through the course of life. It becomes indicative of possessions, reputation and privilege.

Many of the ancients were calculating charts with the Fortuna as Ascendant, and therefore if the ruler of the Fortuna is 10 Signs from the Fortuna is said to be very fortunate.

Valens says:

Quote:
"... the Lot itself will possess the power of the horoskopos, that of life; the 10th zoidion [sign] from this, the power of the midheaven, that of reputation; the 7th, the power of the descendant; the 4th, of the subterraneous zoidion, and the remaining places will possess the power of the 12 regions."

The 11th sign from the Fortuna is also very important because it is a Place of
Acquisition.
Valens:

Quote:
"We have also found the 11th place [sign] from Fortune to be an acquisitive place, a bestower of belongings and goods, and especially when benefics are upon it or are testifying [in aspect].

LOS is showing the Spirit, the Vitale inside the body (Fortuna). It is what is moving the body - the Will Power, a will to action.
Paulus says:

Quote:
"Spirit happens to be lord of soul, temper, mindfulness, and every power; and sometimes it also cooperates in the determination concerning what one does."

LOB is derived from the Fortuna and Spirit (body and soul), so it represents the basis of the individual and its placement is of great importance.

The Exaltation is not a lot (though there exist a lot with calculating particular degrees but here we will use only the sign exaltation).
The Exaltation can be found by calculating how much is the distance (by signs) from the placement of the Sun (if diurnal chart) in your chart to the natural place of exaltation of the Sun - Aries. Then you add that number counting from the Ascendant on.
For example, lets say an Ascendant in Leo, Sun in Pisces, you have one sign from Pisces to Aries. You then calculate one sign from Leo which would be Virgo. So the Place of Exaltation of this 'person' is Virgo.
If a night chart you use the Moon and Taurus (place of exaltation) instead of the Sun and Aries.

Pars Hyleg is showing the Life Purpose of the person.

So, this is in short what these particular lots are representing.

Lets try this with example.
Here's Whitney Houston's chart:
View attachment 27101

LOF = 8.02 Cancer
LOS = 8.48 Scorpio
LOB = 7.39 Scorpio
Exaltation = Scorpio
Pars Hyleg = 13.15 Taurus

First that we notice is Fortuna's ruler: Moon is in 10th Place from Fortuna with the greater Benefic Jupiter.
This is great, Jupiter is ruler of the radical 10th.
Pars Hyleg, 'the Life Purpose' is in Taurus, 11 signs from the Fortuna.
She reached the Audience. She "Acquisited" a great number of audience. That was her life purpose.
Pars Hyleg in the Venusian Taurus is showing that her purpose is to Sing (Taurus ruler the throat), to make music.

Next, look how close (partile) are the degrees of LOF, LOS and LOB.
LOS and LOB are making Partile Trine to the Fortuna.

The thing that LOB, LOS and Exaltation are in the same sign is already a great deal of significance.
But, they all share same ruler which is not so strong.
Mars is in 12th Place from them in fall in Libra. In 8th radical place. This is an idle place. The ruler of radical 8th Venus is in 6th place in combustion.
All this shows troubled life.
As it was indeed.
The Fortuna and the ruler in 10th place from it, is showing the eminence, the glory and success. But the LOB and LOS are too weak through their ruler.
Mars in 8th in fall and ruler of the Spirit can show "weak will".
That Mars is making partile square to the Fortuna, and an opposition to the Fortuna's ruler Moon.
So, all in all that Mars is creating great troubles to all the significant points in the chart.

At this moment I will refer you to this discussion here:
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46808

Here I 've calculated her chart to find the Hyleg and Alcocoden and I was able to be precise with months about the years of life showed by her Alcocoden.

I didn't make the calculations of the Lots back then, but now as I'm examining her chart through this lots I can see how the both techniques are showing the similar results. Again, Mars is the greater 'trouble maker'.
Lot of Fortuna is her Hyleg and Mars her Alcocoden.

REGARDING THE HYLEG:

QUOTE IS SOURCED FROM GLOSSARY OF TRADITIONAL ASTROLOGICAL TERMS :smile:

'.....Hyleg is also known as Hylech, Apheta, Alpheta or 'Prorogator of Life'. The planet or point considered to have the greatest influence upon vitality and thus known as "the giver of life". It was used in the calculation of the length of life, and directions or contacts between the hyleg and destructive planets or places (Anareta) were used to mark periods where life was endangered. The strength and fortitude of the ruler of the Hyleg, the Alchocoden, was also considered.....'
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/gl/hyleg.html

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46808 HYLEG AND ALCOCHODEN thread discussion