Difference between newspaper astrology and birth chart astrology

Hello!

I'm so glad to have found this community. I've been deeply invested in reading my chart, understanding the wisdom of astrology for so long but it's taking a real upswing in momentum the past 3 years.

I have a very interesting chart (steliums a-plenty :lol: ) and the more I learn the deeper I sink! It really is a life journey understanding your life through your chart.

Despite the awareness I seem to have had a brain melt and find myself perplexed by a no0b question which is embarrassing if I'm honest but feel safe to ask it here as it is the Newbie thread though.. phew!

Using a birth chart reading site, I checked the current planetary transits + associated houses against my natal chart - but then reading many astrologers' monthly reading for my sign (Capricorn) I'm told the planets and houses for approaching new moon are way off!

This gives me much anxiety as I need to direct new moon intentions and energies to the themes of the relevant house - have I been way off al these years by following decan readings and not my actual birth chart against current planets??

I would be supremely grateful for someone's advice on this, especially before I dip my toe into communicating with ppl on the rest of this site :biggrin:

CapAquaPis

Newspaper horoscopes are (like they state) for entertainment purposes only. A tabloid astrologer, Jeane Dixon is an example of someone who seems to not have a good record in predictions herself. I don't really go by newspaper and tabloid horoscopes, they're likely unfounded from incorrect uses of astrology.

ElenaJ

This isn't the case with all papers, but a friend of mine worked for a paper and was assigned the horoscopes. They had a file of set phrases and she just had to insert them randomly among the months, something like doing a daily recipe of your favourite dishes!

david starling

This isn't the case with all papers, but a friend of mine worked for a paper and was assigned the horoscopes. They had a file of set phrases and she just had to insert them randomly among the months, something like doing a daily recipe of your favourite dishes!

It's not really a "Horoscope" unless the exact time and place of birth are taken into account.

david starling

One of my favorite quotes is, "I'm a skeptical Sagittarius, so I don't believe in astrology." Some sources credit Mark Twain with having first said it.

antiphon

Newspaper astrology works by creating a chart with whole signs house system for each sun sign as the ascendant. I personally don’t consider it real astrology, although it could be somewhat accurate if your sun happens to be conjunct your ascendant in an early degree. There are much better predictive techniques.

JUPITERASC

step1img2-300x278.jpg

For the past 2000 years of Western astrology
Sun is considered important
only IF a person is born during the day
because
then
the Sun is their sect light
and so
is the most important luminary in their chart.
in contrast
IF a person is born during the night
then
the Moon is their sect light
and so
the Moon is more important for a night chart
Sun SIGN itself was not of central importance
until 20th century
i.e.
If you read the second century text by Vettius Valens
https://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/Vettius%20Valens%20entire.pdf

when he talks about a person’s sign
or the sign that a person is born under
he’s actually talking about their rising sign :smile:

A solar chart, with Sun at 0 or 15 degrees on the ascendant, is the only way to do a newspaper type column, properly.

When the Moon is in your Sun sign, they say the forcast is always GREAT !

When the Moon is in your opposite Sun sign, the cycle is low and be cautious.

These columns are still very popular, actually, as newspapers still draw millions of readers around the world (for now).

Check any large city in the world, as there are still paper daily newspapers, everywhere and all of them have online editions.

Sun sign astrology is not really my idea of true astrology, actually, but it does make people aware of the western zodiac and leads people to more serious studies.

My opinion of authors like Linda Goodman and Jean Dixon are not good, however.

They never get certain signs right, actually. For example, Scorpio and Gemini are always villianized, demonized.

I think that sun sign books are mostly garbage, but many serious astrology books are also garbage ?

In fact, many serious professional astrologers aren't any good and many are in serious need of a reality check !

example gratis. I once had a reading done by a so called world famous astrologer based in Phoenix Arinoza and I have to say it was a pile of sh#t !

I say he was about 60 percent accurate, if that ?

The astrologer also claimed to be a "world famous author" who had clients in 30 countries, but if you're going to brag about your clientele, at least learn how to do a proper natal analysis !

-HM
why waste time on newspaper astrology.
newspaper astrology was created in the 1920s when astrology once again gained public attention.
as astrology is complex, publisher decided to emphasis the sun signs as this was a easy method to publish. it was these economic interest that made sun signs the focus. there had been astrological columns in the newspapers before this and these astrologers wrote about about the aspects and planets in the same manner a astrological magazine today does.. if you go to the microfilms and look at the London times in the early 20th century, you can read these astrology columns.but this was too complicated so sun sign astrology was created.

to tell you the truth many sun sign astrological column are simply made up. there is no official technique. they are bogus commercialization artifacts

but basically they are based on the suns position. newspaper astrology can have some validity but only if your rising sign is in sun sign given.so if you have a pisces rising, you could read what is written under the sun in pisces. other than that it is only coincidence that a sun sign reading will give you any valid insights in the newspaper.

rahu

Last edited:

Frisiangal

Hello!

Using a birth chart reading site, I checked the current planetary transits + associated houses against my natal chart - but then reading many astrologers' monthly reading for my sign (Capricorn) I'm told the planets and houses for approaching new moon are way off!

This gives me much anxiety as I need to direct new moon intentions and energies to the themes of the relevant house - have I been way off al these years by following decan readings and not my actual birth chart against current planets??

Newspaper astrology works by creating a chart with whole signs house system for each sun sign as the ascendant.

That's the answer. :smile:

Sun sign newspaper astrology places all planets in their daily motion in the house in which their transiting sign is on the cusp.

E.G. Transiting Sun has now entered Gemini, so ALL Gemini Suns will be taken as being in the 1st house. Transiting Mercury and (retrograde) Venus are also transiting Gemini, so will also be included in a 1st house interpretation for ALL Geminis.
Mars is transiting Pisces. Counting from Gemini as 1st house, Pisces is the 10th house cusp, so ALL Geminis will read a newspaper description that could describe situations of that position.

Etc.Etc. for all other planets, EXCEPT Moon, which moves much faster through the zodiac and could change signs/houses during the day. Yet its influence can, yet not necessarily will be strongly felt when transiting the Sun sign as a New Moon or opposing it as a Full Moon.

Those newspapers/magazines that are weekly or (bi-)monthly could provide more accurate descriptions because and if their astrologer can make use of the decans of a sign in which a planet is placed; 0-9.60 degrees, 10-19.60 degrees, 20-29.60 degrees.
E.G The 1st decanate Geminis may now notice the effect of a transiting Mars in Pisces square their Suns much earlier than the 2nd and 3rd decanate Suns, who are still or now experiencing the conjunction effect of transiting Mercury and Venus upon their Sun.

In the monthly Gemini rising chart, Capricorn is on 8th house cusp.

ALL Capricorn Suns as 1st house will be read as the transiting Gemini planetary influences affecting their 6th house, and Mars in Pisces affecting their 3rd house.

Etc.etc.

The chart made for the time and place of birth is a strictly individual and personal calculation. The Sun, Moon, and planets can be in totally different house positions for those born on the same date, even though all bar the Moon will have the same planetary aspects. Natal Venus-Mars may aspect each other, yet in different houses and through different rulerships.

Transiting New and Full Moons are interpretted through the aspects they make from the houses in which they occur, also taking into consideration the natal houses ruled by Sun and Moon.

Hopefully the difference now makes more sense to you.:smile:

Osamenor

Staff member
As other posters have mentioned, newspaper horoscopes are rarely written by actual astrologers.

When they are written by an actual astrologer, what the astrologer is doing is treating the sun sign as the first house and making a sweeping generalization based on which signs are having the most planetary activity right then. For example, if it says, "Capricorn: get in touch with a friend today," there's significant planetary activity in Scorpio, which is the eleventh sign from Capricorn (eleventh house is the House of Friends).

Huge caveat, though: that would be more accurate for people with Capricorn rising than Capricorn suns (unless you're among the one out of twelve people whose sun and rising signs are the same) and even then, what manifests might be a different eleventh house theme from the friend one (it might have more to do with, say, your long term plans or other people's kids or your income from your career), and it might have much more to do with what planets in your natal chart, if any, are being touched by this transit than by which house it's in.`

So, even if an astrology column is written by an astrologer, it's not a real read of your birth chart. I have one on my blog that is a real read of people's birth charts, but I don't do it as regularly as that, and it's much more complicated to write. It wouldn't serve the purpose of a newspaper astrology column, which has to be short and simple and possible to run on a daily basis.

david starling

From what I've seen, never having been a fan of them, newspaper "Horoscopes" are mostly standard generalizations. But some of them sometimes work, based on "one-size-fits-all" Sun-sign astrology.

Newspaper horoscopes are (like they state) for entertainment purposes only. A tabloid astrologer, Jeane Dixon is an example of someone who seems to not have a good record in predictions herself. I don't really go by newspaper and tabloid horoscopes, they're likely unfounded from incorrect uses of astrology.

Wow this thread moved fast! So many replies thank you, but actually I never mentioned "newspaper horoscopes" so very confused by everyone's answer! Why were they mentioned and the thread name changed? I haven't acknowledged a newspaper horoscope in 20 years!! They have zero astrological significance, just tabloid fodder for people who don't actually understand astrology.

My query was in relation to GENUINE astrologers who give monthly readings for each sign - nothing to do with newspapers AT all.. do they still even exist? :lol:

Essential, my current Natal X Transit chart shows planetary positions in certain houses, however the Capricorn monthly reading of a multitude of highly accredited astrologers states my planets are in completely different houses - thereby throwing my projected energetic alignment into confusion, ie. Saturn isn't bulldozing his way through my 2nd (as stated in any Astrologer's reading of Capricorn) because he is throwing a tantrum in my 6th - according to my birth chart.

My anxiety was regarding which to prioritise, should I in future check my birth chart, see where it says planets are, then look up corresponding info - rather than checking out Decan readings for my astrological sign.

OR have I completely misread the Natal X Transit chart?
Does this make sense?

(Zero newspapers :biggrin: )

If it helps to clarify what I'm talking about, this is the Natal X Transit chart I'm consulting:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 20.05.07.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 20.05.07.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 20

That's the answer. :smile:

Sun sign newspaper astrology places all planets in their daily motion in the house in which their transiting sign is on the cusp.

E.G. Transiting Sun has now entered Gemini, so ALL Gemini Suns will be taken as being in the 1st house. Transiting Mercury and (retrograde) Venus are also transiting Gemini, so will also be included in a 1st house interpretation for ALL Geminis.
Mars is transiting Pisces. Counting from Gemini as 1st house, Pisces is the 10th house cusp, so ALL Geminis will read a newspaper description that could describe situations of that position.

Etc.Etc. for all other planets, EXCEPT Moon, which moves much faster through the zodiac and could change signs/houses during the day. Yet its influence can, yet not necessarily will be strongly felt when transiting the Sun sign as a New Moon or opposing it as a Full Moon.

Those newspapers/magazines that are weekly or (bi-)monthly could provide more accurate descriptions because and if their astrologer can make use of the decans of a sign in which a planet is placed; 0-9.60 degrees, 10-19.60 degrees, 20-29.60 degrees.
E.G The 1st decanate Geminis may now notice the effect of a transiting Mars in Pisces square their Suns much earlier than the 2nd and 3rd decanate Suns, who are still or now experiencing the conjunction effect of transiting Mercury and Venus upon their Sun.

In the monthly Gemini rising chart, Capricorn is on 8th house cusp.

ALL Capricorn Suns as 1st house will be read as the transiting Gemini planetary influences affecting their 6th house, and Mars in Pisces affecting their 3rd house.

Etc.etc.

The chart made for the time and place of birth is a strictly individual and personal calculation. The Sun, Moon, and planets can be in totally different house positions for those born on the same date, even though all bar the Moon will have the same planetary aspects. Natal Venus-Mars may aspect each other, yet in different houses and through different rulerships.

Transiting New and Full Moons are interpretted through the aspects they make from the houses in which they occur, also taking into consideration the natal houses ruled by Sun and Moon.

Hopefully the difference now makes more sense to you.:smile:

Wow what a comprehensive answer! Thank you so much for going to such lengths to explain it to me :joyful:

Just in case you didn't see my initial reply to everyone, I wasn't actually asking about newspaper horoscopes, haven't acknowledged them as valid for over 20 years :lol: I was more referring to legitimate astrologers who give monthly readings for each sign, some of which separate into decans.

I'm fairly sure my answer is in your answer, just think I'll need to read it a few times to fully comprehend it :lol:

As other posters have mentioned, newspaper horoscopes are rarely written by actual astrologers.

When they are written by an actual astrologer, what the astrologer is doing is treating the sun sign as the first house and making a sweeping generalization based on which signs are having the most planetary activity right then. For example, if it says, "Capricorn: get in touch with a friend today," there's significant planetary activity in Scorpio, which is the eleventh sign from Capricorn (eleventh house is the House of Friends).

Huge caveat, though: that would be more accurate for people with Capricorn rising than Capricorn suns (unless you're among the one out of twelve people whose sun and rising signs are the same) and even then, what manifests might be a different eleventh house theme from the friend one (it might have more to do with, say, your long term plans or other people's kids or your income from your career), and it might have much more to do with what planets in your natal chart, if any, are being touched by this transit than by which house it's in.`

So, even if an astrology column is written by an astrologer, it's not a real read of your birth chart. I have one on my blog that is a real read of people's birth charts, but I don't do it as regularly as that, and it's much more complicated to write. It wouldn't serve the purpose of a newspaper astrology column, which has to be short and simple and possible to run on a daily basis.

Thanks so much for your answer! I'm not sure why this header has changed, I never mentioned (nor consult) newspaper horoscopes, they're not astrology just tabloid fodder. I'm surprised they're even still around :tongue:

That aside, what you've said rings true for me, I never take what they say *literally* I just look for the house, the planet, the aspect, the general energy and then overlay with themes of that house that resonate with what's going on in my life at that time.

My query was in relation to the huge disparity in planet house positions as I read them in my Natal X Transit chart calculation – as opposed to where professional astrologers who give great monthly readings (as I've experienced) have said they are. However your wonderful reply has really cleared the cobwebs so thank you :smile:

I think I get it, although NOW I'm worried I'm reading my transit chart wrong, because of where I am geographically, ie. Natal chart: Ireland, but current Transit chart: Melbourne - :andy:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 20.31.44.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 20.31.44.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 26