Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology

Natal Astrology A place to discuss yours and others' birth charts (after you post your own birth chart interpretation). Includes psychological and relocation astrology, houses, aspects, and planetary dignity and debility.

Unread 06-16-2012, 03:59 PM

Re: Top 10 Don'ts in Astrology

Nice thread, so I had to wake it up.
What comes to mind:

Don't give the parents a reading of a newborn baby's chart.
Children have enough of a hard time anyway with their parents' expectations.
Actually, I'm very reluctant to do a reading for anyone but the person whose chart it is, but that's particularly important with children.
And I'd feel very uncomfortable making a chart reading for a child, to begin with.

Don't jump to conclusions about the concrete manifestations of astrological components and events.
A natal sun in the 12th house, a Mars transit, et cetera - they are forces at play that should be explained as such to the client, who is probably better suited to figure out how that might be expressed in his or her life.

Don't be insensitive to the client's possible reactions.
Especially when bringing up misfortune and threats, one needs to be very careful not to create a bigger problem than the one indicated by the astrological reading. The less I know somebody, the more careful I get with what I dare say, and how bluntly.

Don't forget your own blind spots.
Every astrologer has strong sides and weak sides when it comes to readings. I'm quite blind to certain things and very alert to others. If I forget that, each reading becomes prejudiced.

There's more, but the thread is already long...

Yours,
Stefan Stenudd
http://www.horoscoper.net

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stefan Stenudd For This Useful Post:
MoonBucket (04-10-2018), RockFish (05-08-2015), Snuffy (03-16-2019)
Unread 06-16-2012, 08:40 PM

When I was studying an astrology course back in 2003, the course writer had one simple rule that I still use today. That is not to rely on astrology, but to use it for guidance purposes only. Keep a healthy cynicism and ask questions. Yes, the planets and signs do have an influence, but they don't make you do things - you still have free will.

I always use this in the introduction to my reports. That way, the client is less likely to become fatalistic. Remember that some clients, particularly those who have little knowledge of astrology, are looking to you as a type of counsellor, and if they are vulnerable, they can easily take every word you say for real and then blame you when things go wrong or don't work out as they hoped.

I don't use astrology to make predictions either. I have nothing against astrological predictions; it's just something I don't specialize in. That is something that many non-astrologers don't understand. They see horoscopes in newspapers and magazines and think that's what most of us do, when in fact, the subject is much much deeper than that. I think Sun sign astrology and horoscopes have a role to play, as it's often the step people take in getting into astrology in the first place, but I like to look at the whole picture and peel away the layers of a personality and analyze each layer before putting it all back together again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vlsmercury7 For This Useful Post:
Chiomara (03-24-2013), MoonBucket (04-10-2018)
Unread 07-16-2012, 02:18 PM

Very Helpful! thanks for posting
Unread 01-17-2013, 02:41 PM

thanks for posting ,too.
Unread 03-22-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radu View Post
Astrology doesn't help you directly and doesn't create opportunities for you. You'll have to create your own opportunities. Astrology merely points out: "Look stupid, this is an opportunity!". Astrology will not help you get a job, if there're are no jobs and you don't know to do anything, unless you are a professional astrologer or an astrology site webmaster, of course Astrology will not get you a good relationship, but will help you understand your relationships. Astrology will not help you win the lottery, but rather explain to you why you didn't (that one is really a bummer, I should probably change it...).
I disagree with this one though. It helps. It prevented me on entering bad relationships and seeing other people for their flaws that would hurt me or make me enter into a bad relationship and to analyse them more. And it helped me to be sure of a relationship that was hard to get closer to the person but that it was good after i risked it. Helps to know how to get somewhere, how the person answers to some inputs and how to get what you want from almost anyone. Also helped me understand a little why I dont like what i was doing in past career wise.
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:25 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to ForeignFlowers

Treat all with respect and equality no matter their chart.
or rather I should have said....hold thy judgments
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeignFlowers For This Useful Post:
MoonBucket (04-10-2018)
Unread 12-01-2013, 12:45 AM

I think a good one is:

Don't jump to conclusions.
Unread 12-07-2013, 12:14 PM

Aww, I would love a reading of my baby son's chart! Bummer. :-)
Unread 12-21-2013, 01:23 PM

Thank you for sharing this here. This is such a informatic post that gives us knowledge about astrology and all things related to that.
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:55 AM

....I've already broken...like three.... :-/
Unread 02-27-2014, 07:03 AM

Hi Radu,
Don't in Astrology: Astrology is not a superstition, it's directly related to the science and it exists because of the natural world like heavenly bodies.So don't tell it fraud even if you don't believe in it.
Regards,
Shivanand
Unread 04-19-2014, 07:05 PM

Thumbs up Re: Top 10 Don'ts in Astrology

Fantastic, entertaining, & useful input. Great for n00b astrologers (and noob humans) like myself. Little reminders are sometimes needed. I had to laugh because I can see and recall situations of how some of these apply in my own life. I will proceed to install both great teachers of awareness and humour with more vigor than ever. Thanks
Unread 06-06-2014, 05:56 PM

I'd say:

- Don't be biased or judgmental. We all have different kinds of people who like or are more drawn to, but then this is just our and society's expectations/beliefs. Nobody (IMO at least) is worse based on his or her traits, and good and bad traits are often subjective.

- Don't push a fatalistic tone. I want to read charts as a side living away from my principal job in a few years, but then to me astrology is not about fate or "condeming" people it's about meeting one's highest potential. Potential is fixed, but then we can choose to meet it or not. No freedom is really absolute.

- Don't jump on people who say astrology is a science or that astrology generalises people....both are BS. I'm a Leo Moon/Sun and Gemini Rising, but somebody of those signs could be completely different to me, based on how his or her time of birth, place of birth, degrees, days, etc. Just saying not to get sucked in..lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to ukdesifem For This Useful Post:
MoonBucket (04-10-2018)
Unread 12-28-2014, 04:10 AM

Don't forget that all the planets play a role in someone's life...just because someone's Mercury, Mars, etc., is sitting around making little but sextiles and generally not being very interesting does not mean you should ignore that planet's energy/influence on the person! Often a quiet source of support/stability makes up a lot of the story about a person.
The Following User Says Thank You to wideawake42 For This Useful Post:
MoonBucket (04-10-2018)
Unread 01-06-2015, 04:28 AM

there is a path of believing in astrology and one should always get an accurate idea of their road map they should not misinterpret it.
Unread 01-08-2015, 11:21 AM

i wont write a lot about dont's in astrology but i would say its better keep faith within and the strict no to assumptions could just help you to understand your way bettter.
Unread 05-28-2015, 01:35 AM

1. Don't rely on a computer for interpretation. Intuition on the part of the astrologer, if they are any good, anyway, is crucial.

2. Don't argue your synastry with your girl when she is not pleased with you, even though your casting the chart was her idea. better yet

3. don't cast and read anyone's chart who is close to you, unless perhaps they are a skilled astrologer as well. i know, your family and friends pester you to death to do it. but if you do, they'll act like you personally got in a rocket and pulled uranus into those nasty squares yourself just to ***** them.

someone already posted do not predict death. i would've. ethics, you know.
The Following User Says Thank You to yahk22 For This Useful Post:
MoonBucket (04-10-2018)
Unread 09-18-2015, 10:39 AM

When performing a chart interpretation of someone, don't rely solely on your view of the aspects. A good astrologer always goes through the chart with the client, astrology is more intuitive than you think !
This is to prevent providing a non-accurate report; you can interpret a chart in so many ways, but that doesn't mean it will fit the client; it never does.
MoonBucket (04-10-2018), WHYNOT (10-07-2016)
Unread 07-02-2016, 04:39 PM

great advice
Unread 10-07-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidy26 View Post
When performing a chart interpretation of someone, don't rely solely on your view of the aspects. A good astrologer always goes through the chart with the client, astrology is more intuitive than you think !
This is to prevent providing a non-accurate report; you can interpret a chart in so many ways, but that doesn't mean it will fit the client; it never does.
(I LOVE that quote - "God's delay is not His denial" )

A member of my family of origin has committed the above "sin" !
They have "read" certain things in my chart , after acquiring my data, formed a certain picture of me - and used it against me. They only own about 5 astrology books, have "studied" a lot of celebrity's charts and consider themselves an expert. Moreover, this person never left home, whereas I have lived a very full & tumultuous life. Worse, they have caused troubles in my life, by negatively influencing other members of my family by gossiping and making all sorts of unjust & false assumptions. Very very painful.

Last edited by WHYNOT; 10-07-2016 at 09:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to WHYNOT For This Useful Post:
MoonBucket (04-10-2018)
Unread 10-07-2016, 10:02 PM

Smile Re: Top 10 Don'ts in Astrology

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHYNOT View Post
(I LOVE that quote - "God's delay is not His denial" )

A member of my family of origin has committed the above "sin" !
They have "read" certain things in my chart , after acquiring my data, formed a certain picture of me - and used it against me. They only own about 5 astrology books, have "studied" a lot of celebrity's charts and consider themselves an expert. Moreover, this person never left home, whereas I have lived a very full & tumultuous life. Worse, they have caused troubles in my life, by negatively influencing other members of my family by gossiping and making all sorts of unjust & false assumptions. Very very painful.
Will this person allow you to post his or her Chart?
Unread 10-07-2016, 10:06 PM

Don't look at people as "walking Charts". Put Astrology aside in your interactions as much as possible, unless they enjoy it too.
The Following User Says Thank You to david starling For This Useful Post:
MoonBucket (04-10-2018)
Unread 10-07-2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
Will this person allow you to post his or her Chart?
I very much doubt it. But I wish I could. (oh and "tumultuous" is wrong word to describe my life ..I meant roller coaster & very difficult)

Last edited by WHYNOT; 10-07-2016 at 11:33 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WHYNOT For This Useful Post:
AppLeo (10-07-2016), david starling (10-09-2016)
Unread 10-07-2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
Don't look at people as "walking Charts". Put Astrology aside in your interactions as much as possible, unless they enjoy it too.
I totally agree. Some people really do not like being categorized by signs and planets. When I interact with them I talk to them like I don't even know astrology but I subconsciously imagine and put things together based on their chart.
david starling (10-08-2016)
Unread 10-09-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHYNOT View Post
I very much doubt it. But I wish I could. (oh and "tumultuous" is wrong word to describe my life ..I meant roller coaster & very difficult)
Well, "known enemy" H7. How's your 7th in Whole-sign?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to david starling For This Useful Post:
MoonBucket (04-10-2018), WHYNOT (10-09-2016)

Tags
astrology, donts