Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > Anything Else... > Chat

Chat For posts that don't have to do with astrological chart interpretation, but they're still important to you. Gossip, show off, hot topic, spiritual thoughts, Sun sign astrological discussions, chit chat: come in and share!

Unread 10-22-2019, 03:29 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text

I could dig into the origin of it, but I'm not particularly motivated at the moment. I see it a lot on more modern-oriented blogs. Similar to how you won't see Sabian symbols or Marc Edmund Jones patterns on sites dedicated to traditional techniques.

Unread 10-22-2019, 04:01 AM

Smile Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text

Quote:
Originally Posted by conspiracy theorist View Post
I could dig into the origin of it, but I'm not particularly motivated at the moment. I see it a lot on more modern-oriented blogs. Similar to how you won't see Sabian symbols or Marc Edmund Jones patterns on sites dedicated to traditional techniques.
Okay, looked around and found varying opinions. So, I'll drop the "Dispositor" label, and call it the Ascendant rulership sequence. If it stops at a Domicle-ruler, that's the sole Asc ruler. If not, then it's the Ascendant rulership group. In 12/12, Asc in Sagittarius is its own, sole ruler.

Last edited by david starling; 10-22-2019 at 04:03 AM.
Unread 10-22-2019, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Maybe the sensationalism of serial killing captures the imagination more than a billionaire media tycoon?

Here's another one of his chart analysis articles, with a look on the brighter side of things. http://www.sevenstarsastrology.com/b...ogy-of-comedy/

Liz Greene and the psychological astrologers weren't the inventors of qualitative reading of planets in signs (i.e. Moon in a Mars sign means something beyond it's dignity). I remember reading a lot of that type of delineation in Maternus a few years back.
Not sure what to make of the “malefic associations of Jupiter” in the comedy article. There is high and low comedy obviously.
There is a Sabian degree symbol of a comedian which is uninhabited in all the referenced charts except Carlin has Saturn there and always seemed like a politically responsible comedian despite his reputation.

Do you recommend any translation of Maternus?
Unread 10-22-2019, 04:43 AM

@David

So, in a 12/12 situation, the primary influencer on the personality would be the final dispositor according to your rulerships? Or would the nuance come from every link in the chain?

@passiflora

There are also astrologer's degrees but I doubt all of the working astrologers have them. I happen to have my Moon on one of them but I don't do this for a living. I don't think the criteria for operating is getting a paycheck, though.

At the time I wasn't in a position to be a connoisseur about my sources, so I read what was freely available on the internet. That same blogger has a lot of suggestions regarding good sources for traditional material. I've read Ben Dykes' translations before and they always struck me as lucid and clear.

Last edited by conspiracy theorist; 10-22-2019 at 05:18 AM.
Unread 10-22-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
@David

So, in a 12/12 situation, the primary influencer on the personality would be the final dispositor according to your rulerships? Or would the nuance come from every link in the chain?

@passiflora

There are also astrologer's degrees but I doubt all of the working astrologers have them. I happen to have my Moon on one of them but I don't do this for a living. I don't think the criteria for operating is getting a paycheck, though.

At the time I wasn't in a position to be a connoisseur about my sources, so I read what was freely available on the internet. That same blogger has a lot of suggestions regarding good sources for traditional material. I've read Ben Dykes' translations before and they always struck me as lucid and clear.
In Daumer's chart, it stops at Saturn. But there's a power struggle between Saturn and Venus, due to the dominating nature of Saturn, with Venus included in the sequence, along with the Earth's Age-indicator. Remarkable synchronicity, since that's the exact same power struggle as what's occurring in the Age of Capricorn, with Saturn as Domicile-ruler and Venus as Regulating-ruler.
To give a contrasting example, Apollo's Triangle is Domicle-ruler of the Sagittarian Age (now background Age to foreground Capricorn), and Jupiter is Regulating-ruler. But they operate as a team, with Apollo accepting Jupiter's leadership role and Jupiter supportive of Apollo.
Unread 10-22-2019, 05:38 AM

I probably won’t make it far enough in to appreciate the point, but the free version referenced at seven stars is here: http://www.astrologiahumana.com/firm...ndpractice.pdf

He said astrologers should never report the condition of the Emperor - I’d forgotten about the trope that the power of the emperor supersedes that of the stars.
Unread 10-22-2019, 05:48 AM

The chopping block is more chrematistikos than any astrological chart.
Unread 10-22-2019, 05:50 AM

Also I was temporarily lulled by his name but dude is mostly talking about dudes.
Complicates character assessments if little value is placed on what could be called private lives.

Last edited by passiflora; 10-22-2019 at 05:53 AM.
Unread 10-22-2019, 06:02 AM

I think that sort of intimacy would be reserved for places where people elaborate about their personal lives like on these types of forums, or with clients which wouldn't be shared because of confidentiality.

Maybe you'll find his more objectively verifiable articles on profession and belief more amenable?
Unread 10-22-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
I think that sort of intimacy would be reserved for places where people elaborate about their personal lives like on these types of forums, or with clients which wouldn't be shared because of confidentiality.

Maybe you'll find his more objectively verifiable articles on profession and belief more amenable?
I was talking about Maternus actually, not about the blogger.
Unread 10-22-2019, 06:07 AM

Is it because Maternus is close to Maternal?
Unread 10-22-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Is it because Maternus is close to Maternal?
Yes, they have the same Latin root.
Unread 10-22-2019, 06:02 PM

ds, Lakers biaaaaaatch.
Unread 10-22-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passiflora View Post
Also I was temporarily lulled by his name but dude is mostly talking about dudes.
Complicates character assessments if little value is placed on what could be called private lives.
The blog conspiracy theorist linked is interesting because it dives into traditional astrology without accepting it wholesale. Trad astrology seems inseparable from the values of the prevailing social order from the time of development. The blogger gets at some of this in his critiques. Like with Dahmer and his domiciled planets - psychologists have also noted an overlap between personality traits of psychopaths and traits of conventionally successful people. Dahmer would have a totally different reputation if he’d done the same things on assignment, for good pay, from a legal entity.

The most irritating reading I ever got was from a “woke” public astrologer who just used trad concepts in her natal reading. I felt so cheated.
Unread 10-22-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
The blog conspiracy theorist linked is interesting because it dives into traditional astrology without accepting it wholesale. Trad astrology seems inseparable from the values of the prevailing social order from the time of development. The blogger gets at some of this in his critiques. Like with Dahmer and his domiciled planets - psychologists have also noted an overlap between personality traits of psychopaths and traits of conventionally successful people. Dahmer would have a totally different reputation if he’d done the same things on assignment, for good pay, from a legal entity.

The most irritating reading I ever got was from a “woke” public astrologer who just used trad concepts in her natal reading. I felt so cheated.
Did you pay money for it? What's "woke" ?
Unread 10-22-2019, 07:40 PM

There was a Trad versus Mod conflict when I first joined that was quite contentious. It's much less so now.
Unread 10-22-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
It was a paid reading yeah. By someone who very conspicuously writes as though women and “minorities” of all kinds, born and chosen, exist. Such a disconnect between the way she writes sun sign horoscopes and the way she gave a natal reading.
Did you mean "don't exist"?
Unread 10-22-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
Did you mean "don't exist"?
No, she writes differently publicly than she actually reads charts. Weird.
Unread 10-22-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
No, she writes differently publicly than she actually reads charts. Weird.
So, the Natal reading was dudes only?
Familiar name?

Last edited by david starling; 10-22-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Unread 10-22-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
So, the Natal reading was dudes only?
Familiar name?
Yeah maybe familiar, but not scholarly. I can PM if you’re curious.
Unread 10-22-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Yeah maybe familiar, but not scholarly. I can PM if you’re curious.
Okay. I'll see if I recognize it.
Unread 10-23-2019, 12:29 AM

@badman

Only 3 month left until our 90s begin. What are you preparing, my youth?
Unread 10-23-2019, 01:30 AM

Oh, I found a passage in Maternus speaking of women.
When Venus is in the seventh house in a night chart:

“If Saturn is in opposition, square aspect, or conjunction with Venus, located as we have said with Mars, women who have this combination make love unchastely to other women. These vices will be stronger if this combination occurs in Capricorn or Aries.”
Unread 10-23-2019, 03:40 AM

@passiflora what do you think about the day/night rule? Does it add anything to the reading or is it just some outdated concept of the ancient time?
Unread 10-23-2019, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini888 View Post
@passiflora what do you think about the day/night rule? Does it add anything to the reading or is it just some outdated concept of the ancient time?
Gem!

I learn by doing, and haven’t “done” enough charts with the rule in mind. There are so many rules it seems most have to memorize them by rote first, then apply. That is hard for stubborn folks
What do you think?