The NEW "New Normal" DEMS CRAZY IDEA is to defund Police Department! 65% are OPPOSED

waybread

Re: The NEW "New Normal" DEMS CRAZY IDEA is to defund Police Department! 65% are OPP

Most Democrats do not support this idea. It is essential to distinguish between a proposal put forward by a few from the views of the majority.

Laura Ingraham is an extreme hard-right commentator on Fox News. I trust nothing she says about the Democratic party, given her reactionary agenda. This is kind of a feigned gullibility.

But surely we can all understand the wake-up call to elected officials to re-allocate more money into education and social services. "Defund the police" is merely a provocative way to draw attention to that issue.

(I am an independent, incidentally. I like to pick and choose my own views on issues, not adopt a pre-digested party platform.)

Last edited:

waybread

Re: The NEW "New Normal" DEMS CRAZY IDEA is to defund Police Department! 65% are OPP

Of course, mayors are going to push back against calls to defund the police. And yes, some unprepared precincts were over-run by protesters.

But I draw everyone's attention to the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, which guarantees the freedom of peaceable assembly and freedom of expression.

People on the left as well as on the far extreme right (like reactionary Laura Ingraham) can say what they like under the First Amendment. It's not illegal for someone to promote "defund the police." It would be illegal for the government to suppress such speech.

Very unlike Donald Trump, who does not understand that it is not the place of the US military to abridge people's rights to demonstrate against an unjust system of policing.

JUPITERASC

Far Leftists Enact Racial Segregation At "The CHAZ" :smile:

In Seattle, Right Wing Groups Rise Up Over Riots

JUPITERASC

images

Kannon

Defund the police is not a US Democratic party/DNC idea. It has never been included as part of the platform of that party. But I wouldn't expect right wing reactionaries like Laura Ingraham to get that right.

Most people of all political/voting persuasions know nothing of the proposals for defunding/deconstructing police forces. It has only just now entered the news as a distinct idea. It has been worked on for decades by more forward thinking people than you or I.

Here is a recent article written by Quakers: 6 reasons why it’s time to defund the police

Abolishing free range patrols by armed persons does not mean the end of public safety. Everyone in every community wants their community to be as safe as it can be. Here is the Defund the Police home site:
https://defundthepolice.org

Defunding the police and the deconstruction of police forces was spurred in populist/activist circles in recent times by the 2017 book by Alex Vitale, The End of Policing. Progressive thought leader, W.E.B. DuBois proposed ending white dominated police forces -- in the 1930s. Angela Davis, still living, was way ahead of her time in proposing defunding/ending police forces.

The Minneapolis city council -- 12 of 13 of which are Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor party members -- voted through a veto-proof resolution to get rid of their current police department in favor of a community led effort to keeping peace. So the council members that live in that community, work there, and feel the effects of the racist violence on their own police force decided to end it.

JUPITERASC

Ocasio Cortez CRUSHED The Democratic Establishment
Proving The Leftist Mob OWNS The Party Now.
AOC was up against the machine in a grudge match.
Wall street was dumping money into the race
fueling her establishment rival Michelle Caruso Cabrera

But the establishment Democrats failed
and MCC was unable to muster the support she needed to win
proving the far left now controls the Democratic party
and its only a matter of time
before the corporate Democrats are gone for good.

This doesn't necessarily mean Republicans and Trump will lose though.
Many leftists argue this proves America is progressive
and wants more far left policy.
But all this proves is that the Democratic party itself wants AOC
and says little about moderate and independent voters. :smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaq36CQsQag