Expressing parts of your chart consciously

HoldOrFold

I find the general astrological community to be lacking something important that I need in my practice. I want to explore the effects of consciously expressing parts of an astrological chart and how that affects your life. This is something I can't find much information about suprisingly, but it's something I'm very interested in.

I first came accross the idea from Madalyn Aslan's book "Jupiter signs", where she claims to have many examples of people who started attracting luck into their lives when they started consciously acting like their Jupiter sign.

It really made sense to me since we have free will and conscious choice but at the same time the signs and placements in our charts are configured in various ways... so it makes sense how we can "activate" certain areas and apparently she has countless examples of where it works. However, her book was over simplistic because it didn't take the whole chart into consideration.

I'm curious if anyone has experience with this. Has anyone consciously chosen to bring part of their chart out by embodying the qualities of a sign or placement and if so what were your results?

Or is there anyone out there who writes about this kind of thing?

Last edited:

Flapjacks

I like this angle a lot better than Darth MI's "role-play game" analogy. It presents the idea in a more workable way.

Personally, I've noticed as I study and focus on different aspects of my chart to understand them better, I can consciously recognize the expression of certain signs/planets. I don't know if that means I can express them more.

I have noticed that when I express Jupiter most strongly, I feel like I'm being who I'm supposed to be, in a sense, but Jupiter is final depositor of my chart, and so this is probably natural. Jupiter is well placed in my chart at 11th house Pisces, trine Sun and sextile Moon (which are in opposition in Cancer and Capricorn). The qualities of this placement I believe are helping those less fortunate/those that are "underdogs", being patient, empathetic and giving emotionally, and always hoping for the best with a positive attitude (believing in people).

There have been many times in my life where I've been in a position to help someone when no one else would; people who are ignored, destitute, misunderstood or abused -- and be there for them. I feel almost obligated to help, and it's always been that way ever since I can remember, starting with defending smaller kids from bullies on the playground.

For one the most direct examples, a friend in grade school was being abused at home and I was the only one that knew. To others she just seemed emotionally unstable, and she had trouble making friends. But I really liked her, and felt bad for how people didn't understand what was going on with her.

Oddly, I was relieved when she had a meltdown in the middle of class in front of our teacher. He was allowing her to take a point on a quiz even though she didn't get the right answer, and she cried hysterically about "lying" and how her parents said lying was wrong and she went into a full blown panic attack and couldn't breathe. I could tell that the teacher suspected that something was wrong in her home life after that happened, and I wanted him to do something about it. I told him what I knew about the situation and she was able to get help. She made me promise not to tell, but I couldn't keep it a secret because of how obviously it was hurting her. I think it was one of the most important things I've done in my life... but strangely, that kind of situation has happened numerous, numerous times in my life. I never really seek out those situations - I just try to be open - and I think it's better that way.

Similarly, I don't think I could elevate other signs/placements either, because I don't want to favor any one thing. I'd rather try to express myself as completely as possible (and that's hard enough!). Sometimes I tend to favor Mercury, which is combust and opposition to my Moon. I don't think that's a particularly good thing. One probably could concentrate on "showing" a particular side (they like?) but it will be in detriment to something else, I think, and perhaps even denying themselves (but moderation isn't everyone's cuppa tea I know).

The Jupiter attracting luck thing sounds a lot like the "power of positive thinking" self help spiel that was popular a while ago.

Last edited:

Krewster

Not seeing anything new in this and believe all users of astro jargon indulge in the mentioned manner.
“it” came to my attention most recently some years back when I started accepting one minor aspect after another into my toolbox and found the mentioned activation almost inevitably resulted from newly identifying aspects in my chart (and then corroborating via re-review of familiars’ charts bearing the same aspects).
Possibly the amount of activation one can squeeze out of the process depends the specificity of the astro label being focussed upon and so, ime, aspects are the best, in part, because they can be sorted by orb.
Alot of newbie/non-pro types seem to mis-use the self-labelling process to reinforce the negative parts of their “self” (e.g., by preferring to worry about “bad” natal or transit chart factors which are so wide-orbed as to be almost non-existant). And yet, they mostly seem content to (mis)use these labels to match what they already see about themselves.
I also have indulged in such mis-labelling, e.g., by assuming sextiles continue to be “real” beyond 2 or 3 degrees of orb and what a reality check when I tweaked the aspect set to strip away those looser “aspects.”
Too much to be said on this subject for one post...;)

Last edited:

Iced8Ace

I think it's impossible to focus on a single placement as many things make up the whole. There are too many variables to consider, i.e Jupiter afflicted.

I put stock into astrology in regards to revealing who I am. However, that information is not set in stone. I will never believe for a second I am limited in choosing to follow astrology and if I meet blocks - I will overcome them like anyone else and cope.

Therefore, choosing to indulge in a part of your personality does more damage than good I think, because you're rejecting a greater understanding - basic self care and simplifying your identity.

Human beings are complex - revel in that. The thing that keeps me interested in astrology is that there is always more to learn about myself, and the people around me.

Flapjacks

I think it's impossible to focus on a single placement as many things make up the whole. There are too many variables to consider, i.e Jupiter afflicted.

I put stock into astrology in regards to revealing who I am. However, that information is not set in stone. I will never believe for a second I am limited in choosing to follow astrology and if I meet blocks - I will overcome them like anyone else and cope.

Therefore, choosing to indulge in a part of your personality does more damage than good I think, because you're rejecting a greater understanding - basic self care and simplifying your identity.

Human beings are complex - revel in that. The thing that keeps me interested in astrology is that there is always more to learn about myself, and the people around me.

Yes! Much more concise way of putting it. :innocent:

I can think of a lot of examples (not using astrology) where people indulge in one part of their personality with bad consequences. Such as deciding they are the "FUN" one, and then go out and BE FUN and then end up hurting those that care about them. Generally, I've found, concentrating on being a certain way is usually trying to work through something distressing.... that, if successful, can end in being more accepting and rejecting that "certain way".

I remember when reading about the Enneagram :)unsure:) that someone wrote how if you have a hard time finding what "number" you are that's probably because you're a lot more mentally healthy than if you could type yourself so easily. I like that perspective.

HoldOrFold

I guess what I'm looking for is how to make astrology useful for me.

I've been pretty obsessed with it for over 10 years and have always found it fascinating and useful for understanding people better, working out dynamics between people through synastry etc.

But now I'm studying traditional astrology which is pretty fatalistic, but I'm not really into predictions because I believe we control our own fate. But then I ask myself, what am I trying to get out of this then? How can this help me?

If an astrologer can go "You are weak in this area, it's something you should work on and if you do your life will improve in xy ways" that would be great. Or if they could emphasise how to integrate aspects like squares and how that would influence the houses concerned etc. These are the kinds of things I'm interested in but there's little written about it which suprises me because life is all about growth and improvement for me and I'm sure astrology would be an amazing tool for leveraging your assets and achieving your dreams.

See, I'm getting bored of "You have X in Y so you are like Z and XYZ is likely to happen" ... I used to be interested in that kind of astrology but I'm outgrowing it now and not finding it very useful.