David Bowie has died...

katydid

Yes, when I first saw it on the news, I remembered he was a Capricorn. And I wondered if Pluto was transiting him. What a genius he was.

Whenever I pictured the archetype of a :capricorn: male, his sculpted face and tall lanky body, and his commanding presence always came to mind.

Last edited:

tenacapcious

I hadn't stayed updated on his life for the last decade - busy with own life - so this came as a really bad shock this morning, very sad!

piercethevale

...and since that day, January 11th, Glenn Frey of the Eagles passed away on the 18th... he was 67 years of age... and Dan Hicks died, at age 74, on February 6th.

It seems that suddenly we are losing the iconic Rock & Roll musicians of the 60's - 70's at an alarming rate...! ... although, one can't really classify Dan Hicks unique sound as Rock & Roll.
Dan had been a long time favorite of mine since I first heard his music in 1971, I believe it was. I saw him in a live performance just once... which I now realize is going to haunt me with regret for as long as i will yet live, as for the number of times I might have gone to see him perform, especially with his band, "The Hot Licks".

Here's a number by Dan & the Hot Licks from their album "Striking It Rich" which was released in 1972. Dan's music had a 'throwback" sound that seemed as if it came out of the 1940's or early 1950's but it always sounded "fresh". Seeing as how He was born in 1941, that makes sense... as I was born in '53 and during the time that the television became a household item in most homes , the movies that stations would air were for the most part from the 1940's and the music of that era was the soundtrack of my early years. It was caled the Big Band Era and is considered by historians to have had its run through 1955, as after that it was all about Rock & Roll, although I didn't become aware of that music until around the middle of 1957. Dan and his band wasn't a "Big Band", in fact it was very small, but they sure seemed as if they somehow belonged in that era and relied as much on vocal harmonies as they did on their instruments.
It's a favorite tune of mine, Dan and the Hot licks at their best playing a Dan Hicks original titled, "Woe the Luck" ...and the darndest thing is, I couldn't get it out of my head the entire month of January: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHhXicNNlLA

...and what with the loss of so many others last year, such as B.B. King and Natalie Cole and Maurice White of Earth, Wind and Fire maybe this should become a "Sticky" as for the reason one could easily miss the news of a favorite passing on or that is in need of prayers to keep from such a fate and it would be nice if all that were but one click away.

Babylon Tortoise

It was very eerie wasn't it - so soon after his birthday and release of Black Star, which took on a reverential aspect to my ears afterwards. I think there was a chosen date of passing when it came to David.. the stars even had a rather 'goaty' appearance if you ask me...

And a man with an understanding of the esoteric like him... hmmm! It is all over the lyrics of course, and extremely hilarious that most major news sources were saying the album 'was about ISIS' !

Bye David - see you again ;)