no offence to Libras ment by this...

athan

Each sign is represented by some kind of living thing with the exception of Libra. Libra is the only inanimate object in the zodiac.
I'd like to know what you think about it. :68:

smilingsteph

I dont know what to really say about it other than being a Libra balances out the zodiac, so to speak.
You are right, no representation from an animal or human shape, the libra person is represented by a set of scales. It would seem fitting to me that the zodiac would need a sign to represent balance, as life, represented by other zodiac signs, needs a balance in order to thrive and succeed for future generations.
Not to offend anyone, but the scales to me represents the book of life in the bible where each is judged according to what we have done in order to recieve everlasting life in heaven with God.
I will say time and time again, that if God created the heavens and the earth, who is to say that we cannot study what happens on earth, as things happen in the heavens/sky. Nonetheless,
So we have a zodiac, each sign represented by a living thing, thus we need a scale, one to judge, keep a fair balance of integrity between all of the living things. As Libra is also seen as the scales of heaven, so is the Libran individual here to bring balance and harmony to the living zodiac.
I believe all 12 signs all are important in their own way.
An interesting idea though!

Moulin

No offence to anyone but l really love Libras as friends but in an intimate relationship l wanna strangle them from the word go! They drive me crazy with all the indecision... probably doesn't help that Libra is opposite all my Aries but still... it's a real problem. My ex husband is Libra rising and he drove me insane with his half an hour slow motion explanations and if you asked him at 9am what he was going to do that day, the day would almost be over by the time he replied LOL

aaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh :D :D :D

smilingsteph

My experience with Libras is that they are very flirty, fun....like the other end of a Scorpio man, where he is literally enchanting. Both of them really get to me, but Libra's more so on a superficial level. My first boyfriend was a Libra, which was bad, because they are literally in love with love. The first week he was talking to me about marriage, kids and being together forever; I was sixteen at the time and could not distinguish between fact from fiction. So I was taken with him. I believe he must have had many taurean factors as he was a bit posessive, like I was his. I am a Gemini, and we had so many things to share and talk about.

Draco

It has also taken my interest that Libra is the only sign represented by an inanimate object. By extension, can Libra have significance over man-made things in general? What do man made objects symbolise in general? Has this something to do with 'karma'?

Libra is completely devoid of conciousness, which is as good as it is a bad thing. I don't consider it to be a 'humane' sign at all, it isn't human. It's all things to all beings. Libra is those forces set in motion that there is nothing that we can do to alter or divert. If I drop a stone it will hit the ground, a process ruled over by Libra, which is all processes of karma and universal law.

When it comes to the categorisation of signs, such as the water signs being 'mute' for example, because each of the creatures representing these signs are incapable of producing sound, it occurs to me that Libra should also be considered mute, in that it has no voice either (unless the scales need oiling), but that Libra should also be considered to be lame, deaf and blind also. I think there is a lot of approprite symbolism in considering Libra to be 'blind', as justice and love, both Libra concerns, are said to be blind also. Further to the Libran symbolism of blindness, Libra is the sign in which the Sun (which grants the ability to see), enters it's fall, the light begins to fail, the natural world turns it's mind to slumber and we are plunged from then on, into the darkness.

Last edited:

waybread

Just a little history here. Anciently Scorpio was a larger constellation, with Libra being called "the claws" of the Scorpion. Sometimes Libra is depicted as a young blindfolded woman holding the scales: Dike (Greek) or Justicia (Roman.)

Because some denominations of Islam forbade Muslims to portray the human form graphically, Aquarius was sometimes depicted just as a vase or jug or water. In ancient Babylon and Egypt, Virgo was depicted as a young woman carrying a long palm frond-- or sometimes, just the palm.

Our current zodiac names and symbols are ancient, but they have changed somewhat over time.

JUPITERASC

The astrological influences of the constellation of Libra given by Manilius: :smile:

"Balancing night with the length of day when after a year's space
we enjoy the new vintage of the ripened grape,
the Scales will bestow the employment of weights and measures
and a son to emulate the talents of Palamedes, who first assigned numbers to things,
and to these numbers names, fixed magnitudes, and individual symbols.
He will also be acquainted with the tables of law, abstruse legal points, and words denoted by compendious signs;
he will know what is permissible and the penalties incurred by doing what is forbidden...
http://www.constellationsofwords.com/Constellations/Libra.html

[edited quote over 100 words against Forum rules - Moderator - Note: this is a copyrighted work]

Libp.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

CapAquaPis

I'm a libra and I find this upsetting

From one air sign to another (Aquarius here), your "people" are cool (love em Libras). :innocent: Libra is well represented and appropriately to balance the astrological zodiac year: the middle of it all, starting from Aries and ends in Pisces. The other air sign Gemini depicts duality and polarity, and Libra does too, and don't forget the astrological symbol of Aquarius shows two wavelengths of water or air. Like the different temperatures of wind: hot/warm and cold/cool, Libra as an air sign depicts double forces in action to control, moderate and keep balance of nature in our world and the cosmos.

craft94

I'm a Libra sun sign and here's my two cents:
Being the only inanimate object of the zodiac is fitting considering we're the most OBJECTive.
I don't mean to say were superior or anything like that, but as the only non-living thing of the zodiac, Libra (as an archetype, not talking about individual sun signs here) is above the animal passions that govern all living things. What I mean to say is that Libra, as an archetype, is egoless, more concerned with abstract ideals and group harmony than its own motives and agendas. The scales represent a universal ideal of balance and fairness, karmic justice. The blindfolded woman with the scales really does fit.

Also, I've seen many offensive things about Libras but I do not find this offensive in the slightest. If you worded it differently maybe but no.

david starling

I don't see why I have to be limited to one, ancient Sumerian symbol. Scorpio has more than one image; Capricorn is Goatfish, Pan, and mountain goat. I visualize Aries as the Unicorn and the Ram of the Golden Fleece, and Libra as a dove of Peace. By the way, the Centaur was a type of god (remind you of anyone, Sagittarius?) as was Pan; and Athena the Virgin Goddess is perfect for Virgo.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

I'm a Libra sun sign and here's my two cents:
Being the only inanimate object of the zodiac is fitting considering we're the most OBJECTive.
I don't mean to say were superior or anything like that, but as the only non-living thing of the zodiac, Libra (as an archetype, not talking about individual sun signs here)
is above the animal passions that govern all living things.
What I mean to say is that Libra, as an archetype, is egoless, more concerned with abstract ideals and group harmony than its own motives and agendas.
The scales represent a universal ideal of balance and fairness, karmic justice.
The blindfolded woman with the scales really does fit.

Also, I've seen many offensive things about Libras but I do not find this offensive in the slightest. If you worded it differently maybe but no.

In earlier times, Libra was represented not by a balance, but as the claws of a scorpion
At first Scorpio held the scales in his claw, or his claws were the scales
:smile:
The Zuben- prefix in the names of the stars of Libra is from Arabic word for 'claw'.
Romans created the constellation
Chelae, 'claws', was a common Roman title for Libra, but as Ian Ridpath (Star Tales) explains:

'.....the idea of a balance in this area did not originate with the Romans.
The Sumerians knew this area as ZIB-BA AN-NA, the balance of heaven, 2000 years BC
and that's where no doubt the Arabs got the name Zuben.
Hence it seems that the Romans revived a constellation that existed before Greek times....'

david starling

Makes it sound like these two polarity partners Libra (Yang to Scorpio's Yin) operate as a unit: This imagery has them as two parts of the same animal. So if the constellations as pictured by the Ancients are given top priority, only 11 are being used; it's the sign Librio!

JUPITERASC

Makes it sound like these two polarity partners Libra (Yang to Scorpio's Yin) operate as a unit:
This imagery has them as two parts of the same animal.
So if the constellations as pictured by the Ancients are given top priority, only 11 are being used;
it's the sign Librio!
alternatively
Scobra
:smile:

craft94

Makes it sound like these two polarity partners Libra (Yang to Scorpio's Yin) operate as a unit: This imagery has them as two parts of the same animal. So if the constellations as pictured by the Ancients are given top priority, only 11 are being used; it's the sign Librio!

In some ways, I feel like the signs of Virgo, Libra and Scorpio are all connected. That's not to say that they're the same sign...

But, like, Virgo is a perfectionist and Libra is a perfectionist too in it's own way. Libra is very idealistic. Everything is either "too this" or "too that", which can cause them to be critical in a different way than Virgo is. Often, Libra is afraid to come to a decision because they want their decision to be the right one.

Libra and Scorpio are both relationship signs in their own way. I was born on the "cusp" and personally, I don't believe in cusps because objectively speaking, your sign is either in one sign or the other but if we're going by cookbook sun sign astrology, the standard description of my "cusp" sign fits me a lot better than the standard description of Sun in Libra (or the standard description of Sun in Scorpio) and this is going by what other people have said about me (people in real life who probably aren't as into astrology). It's probably because, if we're taking the whole chart into account, Scorpio is my dominant sign. As an archetype though, I relate more to Libra, but more in a Saturnian way (it's exaltation) than a Venusian way. I relate more to the lawyer/judge archetype, and the Justice tarot card, than I do the flirtatious beauty-obsessed seductress. I sometimes wish I was that flirtatious, beautiful seductress, but nope.

All signs contradict the sign before it and in many ways, Scorpio definitely contradicts Libra. At it's best, Libra is unity and cooperation. At it's worst, (obviously not in the context of sex) Scorpio is separation and competition. Libra represents more of a "peace and love, why can't we just all get along?" liberal hippie archetype, and Scorpio is more divisive and polarizing. "That airy fairy **** doesn't work, take some real action." As we all know, Libra can get too caught up in pleasing others at the expense of themselves, and Scorpio can get so caught up in their own emotions and their desire for power that they don't mind stepping on others (or risking anything, really) in order to get what they want.

But honestly, I think this combination can be harmonic in a way...and not just because Libra is "charming" and "flirtatious" and Scorpio is "sexy" and "mesmerizing". I feel like Libra's impartiality and ability to see all sides of things combined with the investigative, truth-seeking qualities of Scorpio can be very beneficial. In order to really stand for justice, you have to have some will power!

I feel like this combination can make for a good therapist. Libra cares about other people, but isn't always good at reading them. It's an air sign, and they can sometimes be a little air-headed. Naive. Scorpio is excellent at reading people but doesn't always care about them. Libra's diplomacy and Scorpio's ability to keep secrets are also good skills to have.

As JupiterAsc pointed out, "Libra" used to be the claws of the scorpion (gaining power through diplomacy and a peaceful front? using charm as a way to get in someone's pants?). In Rome, Libra was said to be the scales of Astraea, associated with the sign of Virgo. So, Libra has it's connection with both signs in that sense, and Virgo and Scorpio have a connection as well... those M glyphs. Virgo's glyph, ♍, represents the female sex organ, while Scorpio's glyph, ♏ represents the male sex organ... Libra, ♎, being the balance, or "marriage" between these two.

Virgo and Scorpio have similar personality traits as well, both being discriminatory, quiet and slow to trust, though this might have more to do with them being in the harmonious elements of water and earth.

Last edited:

heidy26

None taken.:tongue:

I find the representation of Libra defines it completely: from my point of view, the scales are a representation between Venus and Saturn energies. Each Libra displays at different times, one energy or another: sometimes it's the charm, the sweetness, flirtatious state and other times there's that cold, serious, strict Libra that it is expressed.
The scales represent that equilibrium between air and earth, or between hot and cold.
I see Libras being more Capricorn that Capricorn signs. I, myself, am Saturnian in many situations.