"People Deserve The Government They Get" - Henry Ford

JUPITERASC

Isn't the title a re-ordering of a quote from Voltaire?
Perhaps Voltaire has a version somewhere! It's one of those popular "Famously Recycled Misinterpreted quotes" - Here's the original:

“Every nation has the government it deserves.” “Toute nation a le gouvernement qu’elle mérite.”) Joseph de Maistre (1753-1821)

When French-speaking Savoyard philosopher, writer, lawyer and diplomat Maistre wrote this famous aphorism in 1811, he was serving as the King of Piedmont-Sardinia’s envoy to Russian Czar Alexander I who was introducing reforms that were moving Russia toward a European-style constitutional government. Ironically Maistre’s quote is commonly used to suggest that citizens should get more involved in politics, actively push for more democratic governments and rebel against tyrants. Maistre disliked democracy and believed that hereditary monarchies were a divinely-sanctioned, superior form of government.

Interestingly, one early translation of Maistre’s aphorism was: “Every nation has the government which it is fit for.” This paternalistic translation may best capture what Maistre really meant. The more familiar translation — “Every nation - or ‘country’ - has the government it deserves” — is often wrongly attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville and Abraham Lincoln. They never said it. Maistre did, but what he meant by it is probably different than what most people think.

Henry Ford seems to have slightly modified Maistre - Source: quotes dictionary :smile:

JUPITERASC

Why did you send me a video?
It was nothing personal ReincarnatedRainbow! I posted the video for anyone who may be interested to watch it
I don't like watching those.
some people like watching those but I suppose not everyone does!
Just tell me what you want to say.
ReincarnatedRainbow - due to copyright restrictions we are not allowed to post more than 100 word summaries of copyrighted material which IMO is insufficient, so I have posted a link to the video http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8545585184878490822 :smile:

Last edited:

piercethevale

See attached photo

..Ooooh, I hate it when this happens...but then again the lot of them, for the most part, are just a bunch of p*****...so, what can you expect? I'd, hate to have to admit where the doctor found some in me...you can't turn your backs on them either....

Last edited by a moderator:

TransformingSelf

Hello JupiterAsc,

Thank you for posting this thought-provoking video and quote. The subject of government has been on my mind, but in connection with the state of the economy. I watched parts of Michael Tsarion's video and found it psychologically connected to Ford's quote.
Tsarion spoke of Freud's findings of a dual instinct in man, an instinct for life and death. I see these instincts as a person's inherent ability to make choices. The life instinct is making a choice to propagate life, where the death instinct is a choice to end it.
Ford's quote is alluding to this choice as "people deserve the government they get" because they chose it, in the democratic case that Ford espoused.
Choice is also there in the reverse case, as you mentioned with Maistre's quote, as people chose the autocratic government in place and the rule by divine right of kings.
You can see the different meanings of the people making choices as Ford focuses on choice by the people or those at the grass roots level, as he has written "people" first in his quote, and Maistre focuses on choice by royalty, statesmen, or those at the national level, as he has written "nation" first in his quote.
However, just as with the choice to live or die, the choice of governments can change from one into the other. A democratic government can become autocratic when its statesmen are already in office and wield power for political and economic gains and an autocratic government can become democratic by decree of the ruler when he or she wants to stay in power and not risk being overthrown.
This video and quote made me think of human choice and how its result is not so clear cut. It can result in change from our expectations as our inner motivations and outer environments strive to reciprocate each other, both being connected by the bridge of nature.

Last edited:

Crystal Starseed

Hello JupiterAsc,

Thank you for posting this thought-provoking video and quote. The subject of government has been on my mind, but in connection with the state of the economy. I watched parts of Michael Tsarion's video and found it psychologically connected to Ford's quote.
Tsarion spoke of Freud's findings of a dual instinct in man, an instinct for life and death. I see these instincts as a person's inherent ability to make choices. The life instinct is making a choice to propagate life, where the death instinct is a choice to end it.
Ford's quote is alluding to this choice as "people deserve the government they get" because they chose it, in the democratic case that Ford espoused.
Choice is also there in the reverse case, as you mentioned with Maistre's quote, as people chose the autocratic government in place and the rule by divine right of kings.
You can see the different meanings of the people making choices as Ford focuses on choice by the people or those at the grass roots level, as he has written "people" first in his quote, and Maistre focuses on choice by royalty, statesmen, or those at the national level, as he has written "nation" first in his quote.
However, just as with the choice to live or die, the choice of governments can change from one into the other. A democratic government can become autocratic when its statesmen are already in office and wield power for political and economic gains and an autocratic government can become democratic by decree of the ruler when he or she wants to stay in power and not risk being overthrown.
This video and quote made me think of human choice and how its result is not so clear cut. It can result in change from our expectations as our inner motivations and outer environments strive to reciprocate each other, both being connected by the bridge of nature.

Hi all. Tsarion is a Gemini so maybe that's why he's analysing the issue so much in terms of duality - and 'life and death' impulses at that!... But the issue of how people are effectively manipulated psychologically, whether Freud could explain it or not, seems less important to me than the fact that they are being manipulated and that the focus on the mechanism of it seems to me to be the province of the Propagadist Distractor. On so many levels, and then with this in mind also, political choice is an illusion, just as perhaps, conversely, morality and conscience appear to be a choice for others.

My take on it - democracy is an illusion. It's a rigged game. So no, people do not get the governments they 'deserve'. They normally get the latest in a long line of preordained puppet governments and politicians they really don't 'deserve'. In essence, what can be democratic about being governed by anybody at all? Did they personally ask me before they passed each bylaw and covenant? Am I not an integral and valuable member of a 'democratic' society by mere reason of my existence and/or any merits I may bring? There is your answer. Would I even have had any power to make real physical changes had I conceded to become a politician? Probably not, since the system itself is corrupt and beholden to darker/more covert powers and agendas than I would care to have to tackle.

The very idea of the author's misanthropic/entropic posit of whether a person/nation 'deserves' the government they get, is indicative of their own cynical presumption that, logically then, democracy as a political concept itself must be an illusion, otherwise we would get the government we actually want, not deserve.... (And it is not for anyone else to decide what we need or do not need, should need play any part in this).However, this would have to be dependant on honesty, which of course is anathema to the political process both in government itslelf and within the populace who conspire without understanding that they are indeed conspirators, and thus are blinded to their own true reality.

The real problem is that most people do not actually know what they want, having been cognitively stunned and lobotomised by incessant propaganda, education and media whitewashing, so for this reason perhaps the quote is a truism, albeit a very damning one.

IMO, if people really did know what they wanted, and what they in all honesty deserved, they would know without a shadow of a doubt, that there would be no need for government, at least not in the centralised form it is today in the non primitive nations. Instead, perhaps what would be more appropriate would be a transparent administration of public servants in the truest sense of the word, that would disseminate useful and appropriate service for people, who would be effective, valuable cogs within the greater fabric of society, not a bunch of egocentric stooges that have been bought off or threatened to get where they are by certain plutocratic and mafiosi bloodlines. But then that is the real nature of the game, the upholding and proliferation of the fiat/central banking system, in the west, at least, and/or the most fitting propaganda which will serve the ongoing agenda at the time, with a whole lot of hollywood-style theatre in between.....Thank goodness it is all coming apart at the seams now with more of us waking up ( thanks to uranus in Aries especially, and now neptune in Pisces, and I am loving pluto in capricorn). The point is, that we the people, having woken up fully, would automatically choose our own destinies and lives free of interference from the (old) system. Instead, the sole raison d'etre of the (new) system would be to serve us and our well being in our entirety. That is the proper function of any administration, never to 'govern.'.... Not in my name. Yuk - I spit on the word, lol!

Saintpaulia

See attached photo

..Ooooh, I hate it when this happens...but then again the lot of them, for the most part, are just a bunch of pricks...so, what can you expect? I'd, hate to have to admit where the doctor found some in me...you can't turn your backs on them either....

It's not Republican vs. Democrat or Liberal vs. Conservative.
It's You vs. the State.

Nexus7

If people are complacent and don't see it as important to be informed about how we should be governed, if most people orefered to be told reassuring lies by a potential leader rather than a little more truth, then it seems a bit daft to keep on complaining that all politicians are liars, for example.

What I find fascinating, and extraordinary, is the way history is propagated, history repeats itself. Old historical grudges seem to be kept alive so well by history lessons, it seems to me, dates of battles that should be forgotten, feuds and prejudices continung to smoulder.

If Eris has any role to play in the astrology of the future, I bet it could be found here. With such a long revolution, it might help exlain why old emnities and dates live so much longer than human lifespans.

Where there has never been a revolution, however grim the short-term consequences are, there is less of a tendency to challenge - look at the difference to the attitude towards authority in France anbd the UK for example. The French at one time at least, did not bow to the pressure to force workers to work 70-hour weeks, at least until more recently - a 35-hour week was in force!

Then again, maybe certain methods of upbringing mean that a certain mentaility stays in place, so that the same kind of government without fail keeps returning. I was thinking of what Mike Harding suggested about the practise of sawaddling did to children in Russia and how that might have contributed to the desire for autocratic government - this was linked to strong Saturn/Neptuine links too.

I do not feel able to write an essay on this, but can only say, probablyf there are factos in how we operate socially, bring children up that may produce a certain kind of character structure, then it might explain why certain kinds of governing might become popular among the majority

piercethevale

If people are complacent and don't see it as important to be informed about how we should be governed, if most people orefered to be told reassuring lies by a potential leader rather than a little more truth, then it seems a bit daft to keep on complaining that all politicians are liars, for example.

What I find fascinating, and extraordinary, is the way history is propagated, history repeats itself. Old historical grudges seem to be kept alive so well by history lessons, it seems to me, dates of battles that should be forgotten, feuds and prejudices continung to smoulder.

If Eris has any role to play in the astrology of the future, I bet it could be found here. With such a long revolution, it might help exlain why old emnities and dates live so much longer than human lifespans.

Where there has never been a revolution, however grim the short-term consequences are, there is less of a tendency to challenge - look at the difference to the attitude towards authority in France anbd the UK for example. The French at one time at least, did not bow to the pressure to force workers to work 70-hour weeks, at least until more recently - a 35-hour week was in force!

Then again, maybe certain methods of upbringing mean that a certain mentaility stays in place, so that the same kind of government without fail keeps returning. I was thinking of what Mike Harding suggested about the practise of sawaddling did to children in Russia and how that might have contributed to the desire for autocratic government - this was linked to strong Saturn/Neptuine links too.

I do not feel able to write an essay on this, but can only say, probablyf there are factos in how we operate socially, bring children up that may produce a certain kind of character structure, then it might explain why certain kinds of governing might become popular among the majority

I have it from a highly reputable source that ub313 or Eris isn't a natural object and it doesn't belong in our solar system.

Nexus7

I have it from a highly reputable source that ub313 or Eris isn't a natural object and it doesn't belong in our solar system.

Might I ask who these highly reputable sources might be?

Zane Stein, who seems to be a pretty reputable astrologer, had some interesting findings and observations to mke on Eris

piercethevale

I think there ought to be a political party named this with a Platform built from it. H#ll, I'd join!

Attachments

• Common Sense.jpg
    Common Sense.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 16