Arabic Parts in Synastry

Try Granite's "The Fortunes of Astrology"; also Zoller's "Arabic Parts: Lost Key to Prediction"; for the Part of Fortune, Google Robert Hand's article "Part of Fortune"; both Greenbaums "Late Classical Astrology", and Dortheus of Sidon's "Carmen Astrologicum" have much concerning the Parts (or Lots as they were once known) and for a creative approach, see Schick's "Arabian Part for the 21st Century"; both Al-Biruni's "Elements" and Ibn Ezra's "Beginning of Wisdom" also have considerable information.

In the question regarding the connection between the Parts mentioned in your above post, my answer is "yes", you connected Part of Spirit modulates her "Part of Disease". The asc+mars+mercury forumla referenced applies (in my opinion) more to acute outbreaks or episodes of illness, whereas the other Part of Disease formula (asc+mars-saturn) in my opinion refers more specifically to chronic, long lasting more continuous disease states (I refer to it as the "Part of Chronic Disease", also as the "Part of Chronic Health Imbalance")

Creative understanding and application of the Parts, can open a new vista of astrological delineation-remember also to use analogical thinking when applying the Parts, and avoid being too literal in their interpretation...

Can you give me a difinitive explaination of what my part of fortune in sagitarrius in (0 degrees in the fourth house) conjunct my part of suicide in sagitarrius( 1 degrees in the fourth house) means.

What does the part of destiny means? My part of destiny is 8 degrees taurus conjunct My part of spirit which is 8 degrees taurus. Both are in my 9th. House. What does that means? My ascendant is 19 degrees leo.

Also my fiance ascendant is 14 degrees taurus and her moon is 0 degrees taurus in twelth house. What is the relationship of her ascendant and moon conjuncting my part of destiny and my part of spirit.

dr. farr

..I have never seen a 'Parts' formula of Asc + Mars + Mercury, and I would like the good Dr. to either explain where he got this formula or check to see if He didn't mean something else.]

The formula for "part of illness/disease/sickness" given as asc+mars-mercury, is listed under this heading in several historical sources: for example you will find it in both Al-Biruni and Ibn Ezra as "part of disease according to some of the ancients"; it is also referenced as such in the arabic parts calculator section of noendpress.com on the internet; also referenced as such in the Granite book mentioned in my earlier post-and I believe it is also referenced by this name (part of disease) in various other historical literature sources, which, if you'd like, I can check out and add to the sources already listed here.

PS! My original posting with a + before Mercury in the reference formula is a typographical error!! All Part/Lot formulae have a combination of add and a finalizing with a subtract. I have corrected the typo in my earlier post!

Last edited:
Hey you guys got this Carl Jung, Sigmund Freud type relationship thing going on. Maybe you guys should do a composite chart on one another and post it for all of us to see. Then we can see which astrologer is terrestrial and which one is celestrial. Which one is finite and which one is infinite. Which one is the white magician and which one is the Black magician. Come on! None the less. I love you both.

dr. farr

..I wondered about the double ++ but was waiting for a reply...but Dude...that's the formula for the Part of Intelligence/Skill...do yourself a favor and loose both Al-Biruni and Ibn Ezra...

Notice that there are several formulae which cover a variety of allocations: for example, the Part of Operations and Treatments in Medicine is also regarded under the heading of the Part of Victory! A list of such multiple allocations is to be found in Greenbum's "Late Classical Astrology". So, what does this kind of multiple-allocation mean? It means that a planetary relationship to the ascendant (which is what the formulae are, in the final analysis) can have several potential category-affinities. This is also why, in an earlier posting on this thread, I suggested analogical thinking and avoidance of being literal, in the application of the Parts (Lots)

I would be at a great practical astrology loss if I were to forget about Al-Biruni and Ibn Ezra-because, at leastt relative to the Parts, I'd then also have to forget about Paulus Alexandrianus (378 AD) and Dorotheus of Sidon (14AD), who preceeded the "Arabs" relative to extensive application of the Parts, and whose extensive list of formulae are the original sources for 95+% of them.

Effective understanding and application of Parts/Lots is an advanced astrological practice; for the benefit of beginners in this area of astrology I would recommend:
1st: a study of the Robert Hand internet article re the Part of Fortune
then
2nd: a study of the Zoller book (mentioned in an earlier post on this thread) in order to understand the fundamental hermetic/ neo-platonic and neo-pythagorean philiosophy/world view, upon which effective application of the Parts is based.

Last edited:

dr. farr

Over the past couple of decades I have applied asc+mars-mercury dozens of times (in medical horary and decumbiture charts) for the "Part of Acute Sickness", always with excellent results as per indications of therapeutic measures needed-and here we also see this formula validated as the Part of Intelligence and Skill, because in addition to showing the humoral and locational (subtle locational) affinity of the (acute) disease-producing influence, by doing so it also provided the "intelligence and skill" required for the cure of that acute illness!, at one and the same time!
The Parts are many sided, just as are the cosmic principles we call "degrees" of the zodiac.

Remember that I am an eclectic (and proud of it!)-I owe doctrinal allegiance to NO astrological approach, Modernist, Traditionalist, Classical, Vedic or Chinese! Therefore I am not at all interested in serving the "interests" of any one of them-and I do not advocate any one of them over any other: to my little mind, each has much to offer, and each also has (what I consider to be) errors.

In my affinity (outlkook wise) with either Freud or Jung, I'd have to say it would be with Jung, but I consider both of them to be "small potatos" compared to the insightful adepts of history...

(PS: Birth data: mine is May 10th-same Sun sign as piercethevale!-we actually have more in common re to astrological outlook than meets the eye- my birth was in Los Angeles, California-not far from Glendale; it was a diurnal birth-mid afternoon; the Sun was in the 9th house; my ascendant is Virgo-both Mars and Saturn are posited there; my natal Moon is in Pisces in the 7th house; the most elevated planet was Uranus, posited in the 11th house )

Last edited:
I have Jupiter in pisces 10 degress, ceres 3 degrees pisces, juno in pisces 9 degrees in the 7th. house. Using sabian symbols does the degrees in pisces and juno offset the negative degree my Jupiter in pisces is in. My part of fortune is 0 degrees sagitarrius in the fourth house.

Can you help me please? Mr. Piercethevale

I have a friend that has been divorced three times. Her first part of divorce is 9 degrees taurus(Asc+Venus-cusp 7th) conjunct her moon 0 degrees taurus. And her second part of divorce is 6 degrees scorpio(Asc+Cusp 7th-Saturn) conjunct her venus in scorpio 9th degree. She also has Juno in taurus 27 degrees conjunct her saturn 22 degrees in taurus which i think is bad for marriage before the first Saturn return. Her fiance has venus and mars in 6 degree scorpio conjunct her second part of divorce. Since his mars and venus is in the same sign and degree as her 2nd part of divorce which is scorpio 6th degree does it mean his mars and venus has a mellow affect on her part of divorce or does his mars and venus activate her part of divorce.

lavivi

Banned
I am extremely busy right now...I wouldn't worry about the Part of Suicide unless you are considering it...the Sabians morph one into the other...they are by design evolutionary in that one evolves into the other.
Read my book ..."A Template For The Time. The Astrological Birth Chart of Jesus" as that is what this 'Birth Chart' has given us...i.e. a "Template" of understanding ...esp. concerning the Arabic Parts...and I suggest pretty much staying away from all those astrologers who wrote on the subject 500 to 1000 years ago...just tired old [mostly] mis-information...those books may look impressive in ones book case [I have a number of them my self]...but save yourself a lot of time and confusion...avoid them.