Paramahansa Yogananda: puzzled.

Crocus

Namaste all - sun's out here in Wales - it could almost be Spring!

I have been looking at PY's chart and trying not to be influenced by my (scant) knowledge of him. Although i can identify various spiritual themes in his chart i cannot see that its overall quality is outstanding.

My questions for those more accomplished jyotishas hinge on why (if?) He attained so much while I can't see the potential in his chart? Is the guru mangala raj yoga in 8th really so strong as to prop up the rest of the chart?

My apologies in advance for bothering you.

Love and peace

Crocus

Crystalpages

Interestingly enough, PY did not believe in astrology, astrologers, talismans and suchlike! Although his Guruji believed in all of those whole-heartedly! All of that is said and given in AoaY!!

Crocus

It must be 25 years since i read AOAY! Perhaps his take on his chart "informed" his dislike of astrology. That sounds rather small minded though...

So do i take it that you agree that his chart is somewhat lacklustre? Of course his chart is much better than mine!

Crocus

Crystalpages

It must be 25 years since i read AOAY! Perhaps his take on his chart "informed" his dislike of astrology. That sounds rather small minded though...

So do i take it that you agree that his chart is somewhat lacklustre? Of course his chart is much better than mine!

Crocus

I would not jump to conclusions like that, in the absence of data or direct observation! ;-) Like other logies, such as biology, isn't astrology supposed to be a science, as many practitioners vociferously claim; oh but there is theology too!

Rohiniranjan

Crocus

Rohiniranjanji

Far be it from me to jump to any conclusions - my study of astrology is a study of some phenomenal hits amongst so many misses it seems like a spinster rally!

Least of all would I wish to offend anyone, PY, his acolytes, or anyone at all really. I have a couple more charts of saintly Indians so I will bash on with them and see what comes of them.

Many thanks

Crocus

thelivingsky

hello Crocus,

You can take the birth chart of renowned persons in any field and often they are not highly unusual. That is because at the moment all of these "greats" are born, many others are also, yet all of those others do not achieve the same destiny. There are other factors acting on the human being besides astrology. Astrology is just one of many influences on a human being. I am guessing that different souls come into incarnations at different levels of spiritual development- some start their lives in a much more advanced state than others, and this is not plain to see in a birth chart. What you can see in the astrology is the personal style of the native, and where and when he is likely to meet with ease or with obstruction, and perhaps what the nature of his spiritual quest will be about. But I also believe that as one becomes more developed along the path to higher spiritual states where people like Yogananda are, one's astrology chart has less and less influence or import. The state of "enlightenment" is (as I am told, since I have not experienced it myself) is a state where one feels viscerally and intimately connected to all and everything - thus I would surmise that individuality is largely transcended. And natal astrology charts and their interpretation is largely about "individual differences" and distinguishing one's traits or one's path from another's.

Crystalpages

Rohiniranjanji

Far be it from me to jump to any conclusions - my study of astrology is a study of some phenomenal hits amongst so many misses it seems like a spinster rally!

Least of all would I wish to offend anyone, PY, his acolytes, or anyone at all really. I have a couple more charts of saintly Indians so I will bash on with them and see what comes of them.

Many thanks

Crocus

Dear Crocus,

I state this with the utmost respect for the saintly persona that Paramahansa ji was and his Divine blessings continue. Although Swamiji is known to not rely on astrology, divinations and divinators and to have burnt the predictions made for him by his family oracle, so as to not be influenced by whatever the pronouncements were and his vehement opposition of his family to get him married. I have some thoughts about that but without any objective evidence etc, it would be inappropriate to put those forth here. Please also note that I am not in any shape or form associated with his spiritual organization or Kriya yoga path as followed by the disciples of the Great lineage of Babaji, Lahiri moshaay, Swami Yukteshwar Giri ji and Paramahansa Yogananda or his disciples. Or for that matter of any other spiritual organization etc.

You never really shared why you suddenly got motivated to look at/study Yogananda ji's chart and for that matter details about how you approached the horoscope of this highly notable nativity, other than looking for raj-yogas and finding one or two. I can surmise the likely reasoning perhaps being that without any doubt Swami ji created with Divine help and guidance a strong spiritual organization and successfully spread spiritual uprising beyond the waters that surround his birth nation.

Astrologers tend to be a rather diverse community with significant differences of approach and yogas form a rather important consideration, as well as shad-bala and as we know Jyotish has so many more interesting facets including vargas and ashtakavarga and argalas, padas, umpteen dasas and so on and on and on. And, of course, the icing on the cake is ayanamsha choice. Add to that the ever-present possibility of inaccurate birth-times etc, a whole can of worms, the cake can soon begin to look more like swiss-cheese!

Just from his autobiography (AoaY), he appears to be of a gentle entity. Swami Vivekananda, on the other hand, sounds as one with a more intense nature. Both very impressive personalities, though. I notice that lagnesha in the simha lagna chart is not very strong (SB) and though strong in SB, moon is in lagna as lord of 12th and of diminishing pakshabala (krishnapaksha). The dispositor jupiter (of lagnesha) is of interest though since it is the final dispositor for all planets and placed in the house representing occultism (8th) as lord of 8th where it associates with the lord of 4th and 9th. I think that the combination of dispositors of lagnesha and atmakaraka (also the strongest planet on SB scale in chart) is something that should not be ignored as a factor that made him so intensely desire a spiritual path. That the padas of the 11th house and 5th house in the 8th hosting the two dispositors adds significant weight. You must have noticed also that AK is lord of the 10th and 3rd and so is dispositor of ketu (and gulika). Several associations therefore of voluntary renunciation further the interesting double-aspect of separative saturn not only on atmakaraka, but also on the mars-jupiter (rashi and graha drishti) from the kutumba which hosts the pada of 12. Several indicators, therefore, of leaving family, relations, shunning the worldly path forcefully are all there. Note also the associations of significant planets in the D9 and D20. I personally think that oversubscribing to yogas etc can lead to impediment in ones delineation.

They are important to learn and know but perhaps a chart speaks more through significant connections and associations of personal indicators.

This is getting long, but the D10 has interesting trinal connectivities too. Several pointers exist hinting a mission connecting nativity with spreading spirituality abroad.

Just to be complete, there exists a data-gap in Swamiji's birthdata relating to the issue of Gorakhpur observing Madras time as opposed to actual LMT etc. I have not poked and prodded that at all, hence needed to mention that. In passing, do focus on the node being placed in the badhakasthana which also holds the padas of I and VII.

Have fun digging some more by yourself or in consultation with your teacher/teachers etc.

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

Sakti

Pardon me to intrude in your conversation. what's AOAY?
Is is Autobiography of Yogi by Paramhansh Yongananda??

Sakti

rahu

Banned
I would just like to throw out the observation that carlos castenda seems to have lifted quite a few concepts from AOAY

rahu

Crystalpages

I would just like to throw out the observation that carlos castenda seems to have lifted quite a few concepts from AOAY

rahu

I like your handle! Unless that is not a handle but your name!!

I have not studied a lot of CC's writings but he wrote quite well! Engaging!!

RJ

rahu

Banned
I like your handle! Unless that is not a handle but your name!!

I have not studied a lot of CC's writings but he wrote quite well! Engaging!!

RJ

:smile: it is not my name but I chose rahu ,as my main focus is on the dragonshead.

it has been a awhile since I noticed CC's plagiarism. a couple of examples are: both don Juan and the yogi's guru could put them in altered consciousness by a sharp strike on the chest in one instance and a sharp strike on the back iun the other.
carlos met met a nagual who was immortal. once a generation he would come down and "break" the seekers luminous shell/egg and impart some transcendental knowledge while taking some life force to remain alive/ yogi found a immortal man who was a child yet had never aged while his few disciples grew old and died. on one hand Carlos said that living in the mountains was a life with no meaning, while the yogi expressed a similar feeling as the immortal man lived in obscurity and had few disciples.

the are a few more examples but as I said it has been awhile since I recognized Carlos's plagiarism. carlos later books seem to be pure fiction from his head, as his divorced wife said it was all fabrication, elegant but fabrication. I admit I was totally into carlos until he started churning out books that seemed to be only for the publishers or his pocket book

rahu

Crystalpages

:smile: it is not my name but I chose rahu ,as my main focus is on the dragonshead.

it has been a awhile since I noticed CC's plagiarism. a couple of examples are: both don Juan and the yogi's guru could put them in altered consciousness by a sharp strike on the chest in one instance and a sharp strike on the back iun the other.
carlos met met a nagual who was immortal. once a generation he would come down and "break" the seekers luminous shell/egg and impart some transcendental knowledge while taking some life force to remain alive/ yogi found a immortal man who was a child yet had never aged while his few disciples grew old and died. on one hand Carlos said that living in the mountains was a life with no meaning, while the yogi expressed a similar feeling as the immortal man lived in obscurity and had few disciples.

the are a few more examples but as I said it has been awhile since I recognized Carlos's plagiarism. carlos later books seem to be pure fiction from his head, as his divorced wife said it was all fabrication, elegant but fabrication. I admit I was totally into carlos until he started churning out books that seemed to be only for the publishers or his pocket book

rahu

I understand your frustration and feeling of being betrayed and in a sense, taken for a ride!

Rahu is a very interesting planet, at least in my observation. When it assumes a personal role (during certain lifetimes), it can protect one from similar heart-breaking experiences. However, treat your personal disillusionment as a valuable lesson in life and put it behind you rather than letting it embitter you.

Love and Peace,

Rohiniranjan

rahu

Banned
I understand your frustration and feeling of being betrayed and in a sense, taken for a ride!........
However, treat your personal disillusionment as a valuable lesson in life and put it behind you rather than letting it embitter you.

Love and Peace,

Rohiniranjan

thanks for the concern, but I am rarely disillusioned by maya .
rahu

rahu

Banned
what I mean is I do not become disillusioned if the situations turns out different than I thought or reaches a different end.
rahu

Crystalpages

what I mean is I do not become disillusioned if the situations turns out different than I thought or reaches a different end.
rahu

What I meant was that the illusion of hope that was there, when it did not work out the way one wished or desired (illusion!) when gets broken and reality appears, with crystal clarity! In other words, disillusionment!

Of course, human beings are loaded with rationalization and denial, etc. I am talking generally, so please do not get angry with me. I am a very ordinary man.