Sharing astrology with children

emotionality

Many of you are parents and I am very interested to see how many of you have introduced your children to astrology.What age did you do so ? Did it come about naturally?Is it something that is better left for adults?If you did , how did you go about it ? Any input would be appreciated :love:Even if not a parent I'd still like to know your viewpoint ^^

Last edited:

waybread

I let my children know that I study astrology; that it is not something everyone believes in, and that I try to keep an open mind about it.

katydid

Many of you are parents and I am very interested to see how many of you have introduced your children to astrology.What age did you do so ? Did it come about naturally?Is it something that is better left for adults?If you did , how did you go about it ? Any input would be appreciated :love:Even if not a parent I'd still like to know your viewpoint ^^

When my kids were young, I was a stay at home mom and a professional astrologer. I tried doing a lot of the work while they were in school, but often they would overlap. They knew that when I had a client they had to play in the yard or quietly in their rooms. :whistling:
We lived in very open minded, liberal California Beach Town, so there were no recriminations really. But when we moved and bought a home in a much more conservative, uptight community, my kids were reticent about having their mom be
the local astrologer. The few people we first met were very derogatory about it, and the kids were nervous about being in a new town etc. :bandit:
I pretty much contained my work to my old town and my old, long term clients. In this new town I switched to Feng Shui,which was much more acceptable and hip. :annoyed:

My son, the aries/leo has never had much interest in Astrology. My daughter has learned
quite a bit, but she has her future career well mapped out already. :cool:

One thing I did for my daughter was to show her the synastry of her bf's chart with hers.
When she first began dating someone I would look at their chart, draw up the synastry, and write pertinent notes, and date the event.:love: Weeks or months later, when things hit crisis, I would drag out the notes, and she could look at them. She really learned to value the authenticity from those experiences. He last boyfriend made a huge, exact grand square to her t-square to her Moon in Aquarius. Wow, did that ever play out the way I called it. :andy:

emotionality

Waybread : That might be the ideal answer when my daughter eventually gets around to why mommy looks at funny circles on the computer all the time :D
I had already had to explain to her that not everyone believes in a higher power like her and I do (my boyfriend is an atheist )and that everyone has their own way and to live and let live.

Katydid: I feel it's such a sensitive subject socially.To most of the people I know,anyway.My little one doesn't understand social boundaries and what you should/should not talk about with people ( in general ).I sort of fear her being made fun of on my behalf or the teachers treating her and I differently because she wouldn't understand the possible negative responses and/or effects.I'm not a professional astrologer .. I am just a beginner but I study it frequently so it will inevitably come up I think.

She has a very watery and sensitive chart ,and I feel she may pick it ( astrology ) up naturally.....or not,I don't know.She'll only be turning 8 in November but she is very inquisitive and if the subject does come up I'd rather be prepared on how to respond :) I would love to be able to advise her,or her advise herself in the very same way you have or at least give her a second viewpoint. ^^

EJ53

Banned
Amongst friends and family (including children/grandchildren), I talk openly about all my beliefs/interests.....including astrology........always answering honestly any questions they might raise, however difficult.......and pointing out anything that "normal society" might regard as unconventional.

Then, instinct seems to keep us all from discussing unconventional views with our conservative contacts..........In the same way that children know they must "never swear in front of grandma", they seem instinctively to avoid discussing astrology when in "polite society".:cool:

AquaScorpio

It will be interesting when I decide to, or not to, teach my daughter about astrology. It wouldn't be for awhile, seeing as she's only 5 months old. I won't try to impose it on her, I'll let her believe whatever she wants. Me personally, when someone attacks astrology it strikes a nerve somewhat...I don't lose my cool, but I try to let them explain why they don't like it and the way I explain my beliefs usually works out in a positive way as most of them are open to the idea, and have no clue that there's more to it than just a sun sign. Anyways, if my daughter is open to the idea and is willing to learn, I'll do what I can but I will by no means try to make her believe in it or even try to steer her in that direction. I will however impose the idea of keeping an open mind on everything, not just astrology but any kind of belief or personal values, that's what is most important to me.

AquaScorpio

Btw, I really don't care that society doesn't believe astrology, it actually makes me somewhat happy. I don't like following the norm after all =p It is silly though when people try to say it's linked to the devil. That's just ridiculous.

Nexus7

I should think if you have children, any interest in astrology would have to be handled carefully, yes.

I once came across a snippet from a popular anti-psychiatrist settled in the UK, Dorothy Rowe: apparently, she once had a young client who came to her, very unsure about who she was supposed to be. It turned out that her astrologer mother had constantly gone on to her about who she was supposed to be, as a Leo.

It did not appear to be constructive.

Possibly, astrology can be applied helpfully in oher cases. Hopefully, the offspring with the Aquarian Moon for example, will get simply get wiser to the kind of partner who may be better for her, rather than developing sense of being manipulated by arcane cosmic forces.

Part of that may hopefully involve developing a better 'people sense' for whos is right and wrong for her so that in the end, she can navigate without the road map.

I suppose that starts to look at the question again: if adults may sometimes have problems applying such a powerfully double-edged sword such as astrology wisely, as we hope we al are, then how can children, who have so much less expereince and wisdom to draw on, be taught how to and how not to apply it?