Synastry using traditional methodology

serafin5

Hey Trad Astrologers!

I've been looking on the net for something written that may have a kind of list of what to look for when doing Synastry Charts but using Traditional methods and only found one such site but you have to pay and send off for their report. I was hoping for some insight here from one of y'all.:kissing:

Thanks in advance guys.....
Serafin 5

Konrad

Account Closed
Synastry was not as complex as it is now. There is some in Ptolemy's Tetrabibilos and more in Masha'allah's Book of Aristotle. From memory , the extent of Ptolemy"s is to have good figures between the lumunaries of the couple while Masha'allah, using Dorotheus' text as a source, is looking at Lots in regard to friendship and enmities.

Edward

William Lilly wrote on traditional synastry in his natal book (CA III, p. 637-639, "Whether there may be Concord or Unity between two").

From my experience, the Ascendent (+Ruler), Sun and Moon are the most important factors in synastry.

Arena

Do you mean that you look closely at the actual ASC point to see if it is aspected by planets? Or do you look at both people's ASC ruler and see if they are aspected and by which planets? Or both?

Did the traditional astrologers not look at aspects of luminaries as well as Venus and Mars?

heretolearn

From what I recall in reading on this subject, traditional synastry interpretation placed much of the emphasis on the signs of the luminaries and ascendant, rather than on particular degrees/houses. It's presumed this was due to the less precise nature of calculating the degrees and houses (though I don't really know that this characterization is entirely accurate).

For instance, if the Sun of native A and Moon of native B were in the same sign, there was considered to exist an immediate affinity between the two persons, regardless of orb or house placement. This is considered to be a classic marriage aspect.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Arena said:
Do you mean that you look closely at the actual ASC point to see if it is aspected by planets? Or do you look at both people's ASC ruler and see if they are aspected and by which planets? Or both?

Both. Aspects of one partner's Sun, Moon, or Ascendant Lord to the other's Ascendant, and then aspects between the two partners' Suns, Moons, and Ascendant Lords.

heretolearn said:
It's presumed this was due to the less precise nature of calculating the degrees and houses (though I don't really know that this characterization is entirely accurate).

No, it's because of whole sign aspectual theory and Assembly.

Larxene

I remember seeing some material on synastry in Dorotheus's book. I believe it is Book 2 or Book 4, most likely the former. If I remember correctly, one of the considerations was regarding the Moon positions of both parties. I don't remember much else, but it was quite interesting.

Larxene Xenohart