What Moon really represents?

abraxas

[Traditional interpretations only on this thread - Moderator]

Let me first say I don't believe it represents "emotions".

I mean, my Moon is in Libra, so I am supposed to feel like a Libra? That doesn't even make sense. How can you be a Cancer and then feel like a Libra? It's a paradox.

When I read about Moon in Libra, all over the internet, stupid websites giving me a slightly different variation of Sun in Libra description, using the word "need" instead of "want".

The element water is emotions. Not Moon. Sure, Moon is an emotional energy but Neptune is an emotional energy too, Pluto as well. So now if I go interprete Moon as emotions in general, am I not simply leaving nothing for Neptune and Pluto other than depression and being unlucky and disasters and destruction and delusions and stuff?

William Lilly says:

when well dignified. She signifieth one of composed Manners, a soft, tender creature, a Lover of all honest and ingenuous Sciences, a Searcher of, and Delighter in Novelties, naturally propense to frit and shift his Habitation, unstedfast, wholly caring for the present Times, Timorous, Prodigal, and easily Frighted, however loving Peace, and to live free from the cares of this Life, if a Mechannick, the man learnes many Occupations and frequently wil be tampering with many wayes to trade in.

When ill dignified. A meer Vagabond, idleperson, hating Labour, a Drunkard, a Sot, one of no Spirit or Forecast, delighting to live beggarly and carefly, one content in no condition of Life, either good or il.

Where is emotions here? The well dignified one simply lives the life, in tune with everything else, giving reaction to every little thing. Sensitive to everything and everyone thus sensitive to good, sensitive to bad, thus, gets much more happiness from love than numb skull capricorn and feeling much more sad too when some little thing go wrong. Impressionable... and yeah naturally naive too then. But mainly, just... connected to everything, thus affected by everything. Negatively and positively, twice and thrice, depending on how watery is your chart, one might argue.

Last edited by a moderator:

IleneK

Premium Member
{deleted quote of non-traditional astrology~moderator}

... from what I understand about traditional astrology, it the sign/place/house in the chart, rather than the planets, which identifies parents, siblings and so on. Since traditionally the 10th is the domain of the mother, the sign on the 10th place/house in a specific chart would determine the planetary significator of the mother. For example, if the sign of the 10th were Aquarius, then the significator of the mother would be Saturn.

Looking to the traditional meanings ascibed to the planets, the following are the kinds of people that Moon may describe in a traditonal chart:

People Signified: Queens, countesses, ladies, all manner of women; the common people, travellers, pilgrims, sailors, fishermen, fishmongers, brewers, tapsters [8] , vintners, letter-carriers, coachmen, huntsmen, messengers, mariners, millers, alewives, malsters, drunkards, oisterwives, fisherwomen, charwomen, tripewomen, and generally such women as carry commodities in the streets; midwives, nurses, &c, hackneymen, watermen, waterbearers.

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/moonatt.html

Interestingly, it is Venus which may signify a mother, according to the same source:

People Signified: Musicians, gamesters, [8] silk-men, mercers, [9] linen-drapers, painters, jewellers, players, lapidaries, [10] embroiderers, women-tailors, wives, mothers, virgins, choristers, fiddlers, pipers, when joined with Moon, singers, perfumers, semsters, [11] picture-drawers, gravers, [12] upholsterers, limners, [13] glovers, all as sell those commodities which adorn women either in body (as clothes) or in face, (as complexion-waters.)

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/venus_att.html

Past lives, the notion of the soul, and psychological attributes are very modern ideas in astrological delineation.

Last edited by a moderator:

JUPITERASC

Sure, Moon is an emotional energy but

Neptune
is an emotional energy too,
Pluto
as well.

.....Neptune and Pluto other than depression and being unlucky and disasters and destruction and delusions and stuff?
Outer planets such as dwarf planet pluto are irrelevant on our traditional astrology board :smile:
read the rules

JUPITERASC

Since you posted your OP on our Traditional astrology board :smile:
then
According to Vettius Valens ANTHOLOGY

'....The moon, lit by the reflection of the sun’s light and possessing a borrowed light
in a nativity indicates
:
man’s life, body, the mother, conception, <beauty>, appearance, sight,
living together (i.e. legitimate marriage)
nurture
the older brother
housekeeping, the queen, the mistress of the house, possessions, fortune
the city, the assembly of the people
gains, expenses, the household
voyages, travel and wanderings (it does not provide straight pathways because of Cancer).
The moon rules the parts of the body as follows:
the left eye, the stomach, the breasts, the breath, the spleen, the dura mater
the marrow (as a result it causes dropsy/moist syndromes).
Of materials it rules silver and glass.
It is of the night sect, green in color and salty in taste....'
http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/vettius valens entire.pdf

tsmall

Premium Member
All, I deteled posts not pertaining to traditional interpretations of what the Moon represents as well as quote of same.

Just a reminder that the boards are set up in such a way to facilitate conversation about particular branches of astrology, and it is helpful to make sure you know which board you are replying in before posting.

All about tradition,
Tamara

abraxas

I started the thread here because I wanted to go back to what ancients thought about Moon. I wanted to discuss the essence of it but you guys just throwing me keywords.

I am sorry but following quote is nothing but bunch of unprocessed, stupid keywords to me:

nurture
the older brother
voyages, travel and wanderings (it does not provide straight pathways because of Cancer).
It is of the night sect, green in color and salty in taste
I quoted Lilly, I interpreted what I quoted, I give it a real thought, you are simply throwing me bunch of useless words and it seems like you have a "I HAVE TO PRESS ENTER AFTER EVERY 5 WORDS" sickness.

You know what, this forums is not for me it seems. I don't like the vibe and heavy moderation at all. I quit.

Last edited:

Julijana

I started the thread here because I wanted to go back to what ancients thought about Moon. I wanted to discuss the essence of it but you guys just throwing me keywords.

I am sorry but following quote is nothing but bunch of unprocessed, stupid keywords to me:

I quoted Lilly, I interpreted what I quoted, I give it a real thought, you are simply throwing me bunch of useless words and it seems like you have a "I HAVE TO PRESS ENTER AFTER EVERY 5 WORDS" sickness.

You know what, this forums is not for me it seems. I don't like the vibe and heavy moderation at all. I quit.
What do you think ancients thought about the moon? it's one of primal gods/ ss. Read any mythology for moon represantation. That is what brings water to earth and water brings life as a mother brings a life to a child. Is our psyche that comes at night when sun is no longer shining and it's no longer our body that's above, thats unconsiousness. It rules 4th house a house where creation starts when 5th is when it's already expressed... Bunch of words ha...

JUPITERASC

I started the thread here
because
I wanted to go back to what ancients thought about Moon.
That's why I posted an extract from a TWO THOUSAND YEAR OLD text :smile:
translated from the original Ancient Greek for FREE
by Professor Riley of California State University
and I also posted a link to the translated ancient text
since you stated an interest in what ancients thought about the Moon

i.e.

According to Vettius Valens ANTHOLOGY

'....The moon, lit by the reflection of the sun’s light and possessing a borrowed light
in a nativity indicates
:
nurture
the older brother
It is of the night sect, green in color and salty in taste....'
http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf

I wanted to discuss the essence of it but you guys just throwing me keywords.

I quoted Lilly, I interpreted what I quoted, I give it a real thought,
you are simply throwing me bunch of useless words
and it seems like you have a "I HAVE TO PRESS ENTER AFTER EVERY 5 WORDS" sickness.

what ancients thought of the Moon is written in Traditional texts
which you seem to dismiss without having read
and also
without discussion
and
an entire library of these

and
there are five collections in this library.

• The main collection contains links to books and magazines written in English that are directly related to 'traditional astrology' (from classical to modern times).
  • The extended collection refers to texts that are partly astrological or useful for historical research or philosophical principles.
  • The ancient collection contains links to ancient texts, fragments, or secondary sources that cover the ancient period.
  • The scholar's collection contains links to published theses, dissertations, and peer-reviewed papers.
  • The Latin & Greek collection contains links to important works in older languages
is FREE at http://www.skyscript.co.uk/texts.html

You know what, this forums is not for me it seems.
I don't like the vibe and heavy moderation at all.
I quit.
That's your choice

abraham-lincoln-some-of-the-people.jpg

JUPITERASC

What do you think ancients thought about the moon? it's one of primal gods/ ss.
Read any mythology for moon represantation.
That is what brings water to earth and water brings life as a mother brings a life to a child.
Is our psyche that comes at night when sun is no longer shining and it's no longer our body that's above, thats unconsiousness.
It rules 4th house a house where creation starts when 5th is when it's already expressed...

Bunch of words ha...
Interestingly in fact in ancient times Moon is associated with 1st House :smile:

Previously discussed at:
Thema Mundi thread
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52099

exaltations.jpg

NoblehorseThemaMundi_img_0.jpg

http://www.azastrologers.org/Articles/NoblehorseThemaMundi.pdf

Abby83

Um... let me give you my opinion, considering my moon is in 1st house conjunct SN and my day number is ruled by the moon.

Moon rules stomach and your gut feelings. It DOES rule emotions. However, what house does your moon sit in? That could have an affect on how you see it. Moon also rules desire.

Having mine in the 1st house conjunct SN, my emotions are on my sleeve and visible for all to see and is reactive. Being in sag, freedom and independence and the outdoors make me emotionally happy. In libra I would imagine a desire for fairness and justice, beauty, social interactions is a way to nurture you. Im sure you can look deeper into libra to find more examples.

Bambi95

Account Closed
I forgot where I read this but I remember something about the Moon ruling the habitual mind. Currently unsure as to where I read that but it does make sense to me.

Abby said:
Um... let me give you my opinion, considering my moon is in 1st house conjunct SN and my day number is ruled by the moon.

Moon rules stomach and your gut feelings. It DOES rule emotions. However, what house does your moon sit in? That could have an affect on how you see it. Moon also rules desire.

Having mine in the 1st house conjunct SN, my emotions are on my sleeve and visible for all to see and is reactive. Being in sag, freedom and independence and the outdoors make me emotionally happy. In libra I would imagine a desire for fairness and justice, beauty, social interactions is a way to nurture you. Im sure you can look deeper into libra to find more examples.

I thought the Sun ruled over desire? o:

CapAquaPis

The Moon represents femininity and the relationship with women in our lives, also represents the mother and/or wife (same with Venus). In traditional, only the Moon and Venus are the feminine "planets", while others (the sun, Mercury, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn) are portrayed as masculine. I would believe the sun and esp Mercury has some feminine nature or energies...Mercury named for a god able to change or shape-shift, something of a deity in between genders.

craft94

I agree, to be honest.

I'm a Taurus Moon, but with my Venus in the watery sign of Scorpio, I feel like Venus represents my emotions a lot better than my earthy Moon does. The same would be true of a Pisces with a Capricorn Moon. A Capricorn Moon is thought of as being "unemotional" (or more practical about their emotions, I should say), but with the Sun in such a sensitive sign, could that really be the case?

I don't feel very much like a Taurus either. It's energies are there, but you know how people post their signs in their Tumblr/Instagram/social media bios? Well, I'd never post my moon sign there because I don't think it's an accurate descriptor of my general personality. Personality-wise, I feel much more like a Libra (Sun sign) or a Gemini (Ascendant sign) than a Taurus. My personality is a lot more airy than it is earthy.

In my experience, the Moon represents your home & family (especially your mother), your instinctual (and habitual) reactions, and I do think it represents your needs. Which isn't necessarily the same thing as your emotions or personality. I need to feel stable and secure (especially in regards to relationships) and I'm more hypersensitive than most people to things like sounds, smells, tastes, temperature, etc. Too much sensory overload can make me very anxious. When I'm in a bad mood, I need peace and quiet. Instinctual reactions: I'm more introverted than the average air type is stereotyped to be... this isn't because I'm a misanthrope, but because I'm shy and distrustful; I need to feel comfortable, safe, and secure before I come out of my shell, and this can take a really long time. Instead of taking their time observing things like I do, an Aries Moon would probably jump right in. With your Moon in Libra, I would guess you need balance, communication, and harmony in order to feel happy.

tsmall

Premium Member
[Traditional interpretations only on this thread - Moderator]

Correct. Or at least mostly correct. The Moon does represent inherent, emotional thinking, but you have to understand the difference between common thinking and the rational thought Mercury represents.

I mean, my Moon is in Libra, so I am supposed to feel like a Libra? That doesn't even make sense. How can you be a Cancer and then feel like a Libra? It's a paradox.

You can't. A chart would be helpful, but if you have Sun in Cancer and Moon in Libra, then you have a chart where Moon squares Sun from the fall of the Sun, while the Moon receives the Sun. That isn't necessiarily going to be a fun time.

To answer your question, the Moon represents what could be called primal emotion. It's easier to put it together if you know that the nature of the Moon is to gather, and include. She represents the physical body, and everything that happens to us, not the things that happen because of us. She is generally significant of women, especially older women. In mundane astrology she represents "the people."

When I read about Moon in Libra, all over the internet, stupid websites giving me a slightly different variation of Sun in Libra description, using the word "need" instead of "want"./
Well, most of what you read all over the internet about Sun in Libra is completely bogus anyway.

Moon is a cold, wet planet, which is why her nature is to gather and include. Think of water as the universal solvent, disolving things until they meld together. Libra, as a sanguine (air) sign, is hot and moist. The moisture agrees with the nature of the Moon, but the heat warms her up a bit and makes her more expansive and less condensing. Heat creates distinctions, so in Libra the Moon will be more discerning about what she gathers to herself.