The Scorpio Rising Personality

Cypocryphy

How do you describe the Scorpio rising personality? It seems nondescript. Many use words such as "intense," "obsessive," and "determined" when describing this archetype. And granted that this is augmented by various other factors in the horoscope, but how do you pinpoint that Scorpionic personality within the other factors? How have you experienced your Scorpio rising?

Last edited:

Cypocryphy

Sometimes, just reading through some of the posts, I wonder how much people self-identify with their signs simply because they believe it and not because that's how it actually is.

(Frances Sakoian and Louis Acker)

Scorpios project themselves with energy and willpower, and are willing to stake their lives to accomplish their aims. It is futile to attempt to convince them that something cannot be done, since Scorpios will do it or die trying. They fortify their objectives with a tremendous, fixed, emotional intensity. They have the ability to draw on hidden resources of power to attain their ends.

With Taurus on the seventh house cusp, Scorpios attract marriage partners who have wealth to offer. They are co-operative in partnerships but expect some practical gain as a result. They spend money on lovely things that have quality. They also spend money on their partners and take great pride in the fact that they look well.

I learned the seven fold keyword from a method utilized by Heindel and taught:

http://www.rosicrucian.com/aks/akseng01.htm

So for just the asc. being sco alone these keywords may be utilized:

SCORPIO
BASIC--Secret forces of nature, sex, healing power, military affaiBASIC--Secret forces of nature, sex, healing power, military affairs,surgery, magic.
POSITIVE--Regeneration, courage, resourcefulness, ability for secret investigations.
NEGATIVE--Discord, misuse of sex, passion, temper, willfulness, vindictiveness, jealousy.

The documents web addess, if the document's studied thoroughly should answer this nightmare question!:rightful:

MARS

BASIC--Dynamic energy.
POSITIVE--Constructiveness, courage, enterprise, enthusiasm, gallantry.
NEGATIVE--Combativeness, friction, temper, destructiveness, passion, lustfulness, impulsiveness, audacity, coarseness, egotism.

KEYWORDS OF THE HOUSES

1st.--Beginnings, early environment, personality, physical body.

PLUTO

BASIC--Renewing, enlivening, breaking open, germinating, erupting, reorganizing, provoking, transition.
POSITIVE--Regeneration, transmutation, positive clairvoyance, revivification, universal welfare, motivation to strive for spiritual power.
NEGATIVE--Force, defiance, death, destruction, fanaticism, struggle, sensuality, regimentation, underworld, black magic, decomposition.
[deleted attacking comments - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Cypocryphy

Thanks for the post, but I have to ask, "

Personally I'm not sure how many here on the forum have actually taken an astrology course or have they only read a few books like someone studying medicine without going to Med-School??????:crying::sick::sad::sideways:

What are you going on about? :sideways:

miquar

Hi. I agree with you that its important to try to understand the archetypal core from which keywords/characteristics like 'intense' arise. Obviously we're dealing with the interaction of two archetypes here - that symbolised by the ascendant, and that symbolised by the zodiacal sign of Scorpio.

The Ascendant symbolises the experience of being an entity which can act upon its environment. It doesn't symbolise self-awareness in an objective or reflective manner, but rather the raw awareness of being a self at all. Other parts of the house cycle symbolise the various experiences through which we become more fully conscious of all that we are; the ascendant, as the beginning of the house cycle, gets the ball rolling by introducing an individual to the very fact of her or his existence. As with all cycles, the initial impulse which begins the house cycle resonates throughout the whole cycle, and every experience is coloured by the nature of the ascendant in the native's chart. In other words, every moment is a new beginning of one sort or another. So the ascendant is an interface between the native and life - and any archetype found 'on' the ascendant forms an inescapable image of what it is to be an individual. To develop the qualities of such an archetype is to enhance one's ability to 'deliver' (Rudhyar - The Astrological Houses) oneself into the world in a convincing and creative manner in each moment, and particularly in those moments which are particularly significant because they mark the beginning of some new venture or phase of life.

When differentiating between a point or stage of the house cycle, and a point or stage on the zodiacal cycle, it is important to note that where a house symbolises a particular category of experience - for example, the first house symbolises the experience of being an individual entity, and the second house symbolises the experience of drawing upon available resources to bolster one's individual existence - a zodiacal sign symbolises a particular type of life-giving fuel. Aries symbolises the fuel which enables us initiate new ventures and assert our right to be; Taurus symbolises the fuel which enables us to consolidate our position; and so on.

Besides the mode and element of a sign, it is important to note the position of a zodiacal sign in the zodiacal cycle. Scorpio is the fixed water sign. On the water 'plane' we connect with life in a way which is felt as either pleasant or unpleasant, and fixity focuses an element in a way which intensifies our experience of it. From this we can already produce a long list of keywords, but there is something missing from our understanding if we don't note that Scorpio's combining of water and fixity implies, and is implied by, Scorpio's position in the zodiacal cycle. In other words, the mode and element cycles could only produce that combination of water and fixity at that point of the cycle, and at that point in the cycle, only that combination could arise.

The first six signs are concerned with fuelling the development of the separate individual - the second six with fuelling the development of the larger collective of which the individual is part. In Libra, the tendency for individuals to come together as units of togetherness is new, although Virgoan service is a preparation for this, and Cancer and Leo can also be seen as prior stages in such preparation. Libra, as the cardinal air sign, and the sign which really gets collectivisation going, does so on a certain level - an intellectual level. Social etiquettes etc are laid out which will provide a basis on which individuals can co-exist in partnerships, communities, and so on. In Scorpio, the process of collectivisation is consolidated (just as the Arian impulse to exist was consolidated by Taurus). Where individuality is consolidated on the earth plane - an inherently boundaried plane - collectivisation is consolidated on the water plane - an inherently unboundaried plane where individuals can merge with one another and cement their communal ties (of whatever nature) at a deep feeling level.

The general thrust of the third quadrant of the zodiacal cycle is towards unquestioning collectivisation, but in Scorpio there is often hesitancy because the potential to experience painful feelings arises here to a much greater extent than in the signs of Libra and Sagittarius which are also found in this quadrant. But it is in the nature of Scorpio of merge individuals together.

Scorpio on the ascendant symbolises the fact that the native must use Scorpio fuel in all acts of 'self-delivery'. The native is motivated to act upon the world by opportunities to use Scorpio fuel, and opportunities to use Scorpio fuel are more readily noticed by the native as she or he surveys her or his surroundings. The individual is better able to function as an individual when there is sufficient trust to honour the deep connectedness which potentially exists between individuals - to share resources and participate with feeling in the various binding rituals which help to cement people into a society. Sexual intimacy is only one way in which people can experience that depth of connectedness.

Where such trust is lacking, the Scorpio rising native will hold back rather than risk painful feelings, having been taught in childhood that openness leads to humiliation, and investing of oneself leads to a poor return.

Well I ended up writing more than I intended, but its good to spend time collecting and organising thoughts when trying to learn about something as vast as astrology. Hopefully you'll get something from it too. If this kind of approach interests you, then the Rudhyar book mentioned above, and also his book, 'The Pulse of Life' are highly recommended, though need careful and patient reading.

Last edited:

Cypocryphy

To clarify: I am really just looking to see how people who might have this situation feel or believe it influences their personal behavior on a day-in, day-out basis.

Zarathu

Account Closed
How do you describe the Scorpio rising personality? It seems nondescript. Many use words such as "intense," "obsessive," and "determined" when describing this archetype. And granted that this is augmented by various other factors in the horoscope, but how do you pinpoint that Scorpionic personality within the other factors? What is the core archetype? I am curious about how others perceive it.

Back to the subject at hand

IMO, it depends very much on how intense Scorpio is(high power, and high friction), and well as the same for the ASC, and whether such things as and OOB Mars, or high power/high friction Mars is involved, and other factors.

Certain cognitive structures such as T-squares or grand trines can acerbate the issue. Can you give us a celebrity example where you notice the intensity to look at?

Z

anjelik

How do you describe the Scorpio rising personality? It seems nondescript. Many use words such as "intense," "obsessive," and "determined" when describing this archetype. And granted that this is augmented by various other factors in the horoscope, but how do you pinpoint that Scorpionic personality within the other factors? What is the core archetype? I am curious about how others perceive it.

Personal opinion from an outsider's perspective... the above words and I would also add quiet and mysterious.

Cypocryphy

Back to the subject at hand

IMO, it depends very much on how intense Scorpio is(high power, and high friction), and well as the same for the ASC, and whether such things as and OOB Mars, or high power/high friction Mars is involved, and other factors.

Certain cognitive structures such as T-squares or grand trines can acerbate the issue. Can you give us a celebrity example where you notice the intensity to look at?

Z

Thanks, Zarathu. :smile: I want to say that I would like to reply to Miquar, too. But I have a bad fever right now, and I am trying to distract myself. It helps to not feel so ****** to mess around on the forums. :lol: But I might have to go take a nap after this.

Anyway, I can think of one person who really stands out to me, which is Johnny Carson. And in relation to that, when I look at the anecdotal accounts of others who have discussed it on here, I have noticed that the one predominate trait that everyone mentions is "reticence." There is a reservation in just about everyone who has this situation, even despite the variations of planetary positions and whatnot. Carson seemed to always be a very private person, which plays along these themes. And it makes me think of the rule of two, three and four.

So we have femininity (rule of two) with fixed (rule of three) with water (rule of four).

So, and not to encourage you know who, but just to reference some of what he said, he mentions the rule of three qualities, such as determination, as well as the rule of four qualities (healing, emotions), and a level of reservation (femininity).

Anyway, I thought it was interesting that the predominate theme, regardless as to whether there are mercurial influences or a solar/leo influence, the individual seems to always state they are very reserved and engage with another primarily on deep, personally important topics.

Back to your question, however, Johnny Carson stands out for me as a celebrity. I can't remember his astrological configurations, however. I would be interested in how a configuration interacts with him.

Cypocryphy

Personal opinion from an outsider's perspective... the above words and I would also add quiet and mysterious.

Ah ha. See. That's what I've noticed. Out of all the qualities the sign represents, it never fails that the person is deemed quiet and mysterious (or reserved and reticent, which can certainly lead to mystery).

anjelik

Totally off topic and I hope neither of you take offense by this post.. but sometimes when you (Clinton and Zarathu) go back and forth with each other I have this little image pop into my head that makes me laugh quite a bit.... :biggrin:

TMS-Statler%26Waldorf-BalconyBox.jpg

Zarathu

Account Closed
Johnny Carson's(10-23-1925, 7:15 AM, Corning, Iowa, rated AA by Lois Rodden(Great lady!, I knew her)

Scorpion rising matches exactly what I suggested, for intensity:

1. Scorpio is the most powerful sign in the chart

2. Scorpio is the second highest friction sing in the chart

3. Pluto, ruler of Scorpion, is 3rd highest power, but the moderate friction in the chart

4. He has a cardinal T-Square with the opposition between Pluto and Moon/Jupiter, and Mars is the focus.

5. He has a water grand trine with one of the points in the grand trine being Pluto

6. Mercury and Saturn are a conjunction point in the grand trine and in Scorpio

7. Saturn is the most powerful planet in the chart in Scorpio and Mercury also in Scorpio is the second most powerful.

Yeah.... I'd say that the intensity of Scorpio Rising is impacted here.

Zarathu

Account Closed
Totally off topic and I hope neither of you take offense by this post.. but sometimes when you (Clinton and Zarathu) go back and forth with each other I have this little image pop into my head that makes me laugh quite a bit.... :biggrin:

TMS-Statler%26Waldorf-BalconyBox.jpg

I love it! Which one is me? I feel more for the one on the left.

Cypocryphy

Hi. I agree with you that its important to try to understand the archetypal core from which keywords/characteristics like 'intense' arise. Obviously we're dealing with the interaction of two archetypes here - that symbolised by the ascendant, and that symbolised by the zodiacal sign of Scorpio.

The Ascendant symbolises the experience of being an entity which can act upon its environment. It doesn't symbolise self-awareness in an objective or reflective manner, but rather the raw awareness of being a self at all. Other parts of the house cycle symbolise the various experiences through which we become more fully conscious of all that we are; the ascendant, as the beginning of the house cycle, gets the ball rolling by introducing an individual to the very fact of her or his existence. As with all cycles, the initial impulse which begins the house cycle resonates throughout the whole cycle, and every experience is coloured by the nature of the ascendant in the native's chart. In other words, every moment is a new beginning of one sort or another. So the ascendant is an interface between the native and life - and any archetype found 'on' the ascendant forms an inescapable image of what it is to be an individual. To develop the qualities of such an archetype is to enhance one's ability to 'deliver' (Rudhyar - The Astrological Houses) oneself into the world in a convincing and creative manner in each moment, and particularly in those moments which are particularly significant because they mark the beginning of some new venture or phase of life.

When differentiating between a point or stage of the house cycle, and a point or stage on the zodiacal cycle, it is important to note that where a house symbolises a particular category of experience - for example, the first house symbolises the experience of being an individual entity, and the second house symbolises the experience of drawing upon available resources to bolster one's individual existence - a zodiacal sign symbolises a particular type of life-giving fuel. Aries symbolises the fuel which enables us initiate new ventures and assert our right to be; Taurus symbolises the fuel which enables us to consolidate our position; and so on.

Besides the mode and element of a sign, it is important to note the position of a zodiacal sign in the zodiacal cycle. Scorpio is the fixed water sign. On the water 'plane' we connect with life in a way which is felt as either pleasant or unpleasant, and fixity focuses an element in a way which intensifies our experience of it. From this we can already produce a long list of keywords, but there is something missing from our understanding if we don't note that Scorpio's combining of water and fixity implies, and is implied by, Scorpio's position in the zodiacal cycle. In other words, the mode and element cycles could only produce that combination of water and fixity at that point of the cycle, and at that point in the cycle, only that combination could arise.

The first six signs are concerned with fuelling the development of the separate individual - the second six with fuelling the development of the larger collective of which the individual is part. In Libra, the tendency for individuals to come together as units of togetherness is new, although Virgoan service is a preparation for this, and Cancer and Leo can also be seen as prior stages in such preparation. Libra, as the cardinal air sign, and the sign which really gets collectivisation going, does so on a certain level - an intellectual level. Social etiquettes etc are laid out which will provide a basis on which individuals can co-exist in partnerships, communities, and so on. In Scorpio, the process of collectivisation is consolidated (just as the Arian impulse to exist was consolidated by Taurus). Where individuality is consolidated on the earth plane - an inherently boundaried plane - collectivisation is consolidated on the water plane - an inherently unboundaried plane where individuals can merge with one another and cement their communal ties (of whatever nature) at a deep feeling level.

The general thrust of the third quadrant of the zodiacal cycle is towards unquestioning collectivisation, but in Scorpio there is often hesitancy because the potential to experience painful feelings arises here to a much greater extent than in the signs of Libra and Sagittarius which are also found in this quadrant. But it is in the nature of Scorpio of merge individuals together.

Scorpio on the ascendant symbolises the fact that the native must use Scorpio fuel in all acts of 'self-delivery'. The native is motivated to act upon the world by opportunities to use Scorpio fuel, and opportunities to use Scorpio fuel are more readily noticed by the native as she or he surveys her or his surroundings. The individual is better able to function as an individual when there is sufficient trust to honour the deep connectedness which potentially exists between individuals - to share resources and participate with feeling in the various binding rituals which help to cement people into a society. Sexual intimacy is only one way in which people can experience that depth of connectedness.

Where such trust is lacking, the Scorpio rising native will hold back rather than risk painful feelings, having been taught in childhood that openness leads to humiliation, and investing of oneself leads to a poor return.

Well I ended up writing more than I intended, but its good to spend time collecting and organising thoughts when trying to learn about something as vast as astrology. Hopefully you'll get something from it too. If this kind of approach interests you, then the Rudhyar book mentioned above, and also his book, 'The Pulse of Life' are highly recommended, though need careful and patient reading.

Thanks for the well thought-out post. I love the theory behind this, with more of a theosophical approach. No matter what approach someone takes, it seems that the end result is the same, more or less. Certainly a lot of what you said resonates. :smile:

I'm going to read it again when I can think clearly, but I always love the psychological approach. I sometimes find greater utility in it.

Cypocryphy

Johnny Carson's(10-23-1925, 7:15 AM, Corning, Iowa, rated AA by Lois Rodden(Great lady!, I knew her)

Scorpion rising matches exactly what I suggested, for intensity:

1. Scorpio is the most powerful sign in the chart

2. Scorpio is the second highest friction sing in the chart

3. Pluto, ruler of Scorpion, is 3rd highest power, but the moderate friction in the chart

4. He has a cardinal T-Square with the opposition between Pluto and Moon/Jupiter, and Mars is the focus.

5. He has a water grand trine with one of the points in the grand trine being Pluto

6. Mercury and Saturn are a conjunction point in the grand trine and in Scorpio

7. Saturn is the most powerful planet in the chart in Scorpio and Mercury also in Scorpio is the second most powerful.

Yeah.... I'd say that the intensity of Scorpio Rising is impacted here.

Thanks for the rundown. The water grand trine and Saturn emphasized in Scorpio probably really tipped the scales in his complete retirement from the public.