Tarot Talk Thread

Flapjacks

Way back, I needed my mom to help me open a charge account at a hardware store for work purposes. My name (which is actually David) was on with her very feminine name as the account users. A cashier was being funny, and asked which one I was when I made a purchase. I said, "If they'd named me that, I'd be a LOT tougher!". :lol:

https://www.bing.com/search?pc=AUWI&form=AMZNS1&q=a+boy+named+sue

Haha, I thought of that song with your comment before I saw you were making a direct reference. :tongue: One of my favorites...

Anyway, back to tarot...

I have a habit of thinking "no way" when I interpret a spread, and then later it comes to pass and I wonder why I didn't heed it.

Once, I got a reverse king of cups in a Celtic spread in the position of "outside environment". I knew exactly what it meant when I saw it, but then denied it. It was a person that, at the time, I trusted, but later turned out to be a liar and manipulator whom put me in a compromising position. I inherited the false world he created, his pretend "kingdom" built to support his ego, smooth as butter, lying to please others, committing fraud. I paid the price for my ignorance. He is even a Pisces sun, if it couldn't be more obvious to whom the card was referring.

That entire spread was extremely insightful, but I wasn't ready to hear it.

That's been the case with most of my tarot readings...

Last edited:

Gemini888

I wonder if someone on here is actually a spirit :unsure:
I felt like a spirit watching all of you commenting on my gender :D Don't forget I have Neptune conj MC.

Way back when I was a kid, I was pretty dreamy, and it annoyed the hell out of my family. Someone would assume I was being haunted by a spirit, or had the ability to see spirits (which wasn't a good sign in their opinion). It's ironic that I'm being praised for doing "spirit" things, writing books and reading charts and maybe doing tarot too.

moonkat235

Hey guys! Just doing a bit of reading on the tarot tonight. The book I'm reading is very basic and I don't think it's covering what I want it too. For instance, it says the Lovers in the RWS has their union blessed by an angel, but I disagree or at least wonder if that's true.

In the RWS, the woman (I'm assuming Eve, because of the serpent around the tree on her side), is actually looking at the angel as opposed to meeting the gaze of her lover, Adam. He's staring at her, but she's distracted by the divine being. I know that's purposeful, but I'm debating how to add this nuance to the generally accepted meaning of this card - love and marriage of duality.

Thoughts?

eWPzIUu.jpg

Last edited:

moonkat235

If we're going off the biblical tale, that Eve eats the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, maybe the Lovers card is depicting why she would be tempted in the first place? Idk, but she's looking straight at the angel, so maybe she desires divinity more than she desires partnering with Adam. Just thinking out loud here.

moonkat235

Oh and as a refresher, the Golden Dawn assigns Gemini to the Lovers, so Idk if that gives people more insight into the nuance of its meaning.

david starling

Haha, I thought of that song with your comment before I saw you were making a direct reference. :tongue: One of my favorites...

Anyway, back to tarot...

I have a habit of thinking "no way" when I interpret a spread, and then later it comes to pass and I wonder why I didn't heed it.

Once, I got a reverse king of cups in a Celtic spread in the position of "outside environment". I knew exactly what it meant when I saw it, but then denied it. It was a person that, at the time, I trusted, but later turned out to be a liar and manipulator whom put me in a compromising position. I inherited the false world he created, his pretend "kingdom" built to support his ego, smooth as butter, lying to please others, committing fraud. I paid the price for my ignorance. He is even a Pisces sun, if it couldn't be more obvious to whom the card was referring.

Con artists are able to convince their "marks" that they're the victim's best friend forever. It's like they cast a spell, and no matter what your real friends say, you just don't want to believe anything bad about them.

Flapjacks

Hey guys! Just doing a bit of reading on the tarot tonight. The book I'm reading is very basic and I don't think it's covering what I want it too. For instance, it says the Lovers in the RWS has their union blessed by an angel, but I disagree or at least wonder if that's true.

In the RWS, the woman (I'm assuming Eve, because of the serpent around the tree on her side), is actually looking at the angel as opposed to meeting the gaze of her lover, Adam. He's staring at her, but she's distracted by the divine being. I know that's purposeful, but I'm debating how to add this nuance to the generally accepted meaning of this card - love and marriage of duality.

Thoughts?

eWPzIUu.jpg

It may be a comment on femininity (receptive) vs. masculinity (assertive). Behind "Adam" is a tree that is engulfed in flames (passion, renewal), while the tree behind "Eve" grows fruit (creativity, fertility).

Flapjacks

Con artists are able to convince their "marks" that they're the victim's best friend forever. It's like they cast a spell, and no matter what your real friends say, you just don't want to believe anything bad about them.

I felt bad for the guy. He was trapped by his own creation and believed deceit was the only way out. His cup ran dry, so to speak.

https://spiritsciencecentral.com/patch-tarot/tarot-directory/king-cups-tarot/

The King of Cups reversed describes a personality which has become miserable, and potentially even manic due to turbulent emotions, but without any sense of comprehension about what they are feeling. In this they are very unsteady, and can be very easily seduced or swayed by another who knows how to manipulate their energy – for good or for evil.

Due to this extreme state, the King of Cups may even become a bit of a liar, and act dishonestly whether they know it or not, generally out of fear or another mask of the ego which blocks their insight to truth. To others this trait would appear as if they were simply ‘not being real’, ‘shallow’; or put even more simply: false.

That describes it to a T. Kind of amazing, really!

Gemini888

Which deck did you buy?
A boring Smith Waite one.

There used to be a trend of learning Tarot among the fake "hippies" at my high school. The kids would go to Amazon to hunt for the most eye-catching desk they could find. When I decided to start Tarot I wanted a nice-looking one too. But seeing that I'm a beginner and I need to know the basic, I said "**** the eye-candy, I want to get to know the basic". So yeah, off with the boring sh*t I went.

moonkat235

A boring Smith Waite one.

There used to be a trend of learning Tarot among the fake "hippies" at my high school. The kids would go to Amazon to hunt for the most eye-catching desk they could find. When I decided to start Tarot I wanted a nice-looking one too. But seeing that I'm a beginner and I need to know the basic, I said "**** the eye-candy, I want to get to know the basic". So yeah, off with the boring sh*t I went.

Dude, the RWS tarot isn't boring. It's full of rich and beautiful symbolism! I have the RWS too and I feel pretty bonded to it actually. I think it's definitely a good starter deck for learning the tarot. Most tarot readers swear by it, so I think that's a great choice! Not boring at all, but rather classic.

moonkat235

It may be a comment on femininity (receptive) vs. masculinity (assertive). Behind "Adam" is a tree that is engulfed in flames (passion, renewal), while the tree behind "Eve" grows fruit (creativity, fertility).

Cool, I can definitely see that. The author of my book noticed it too. Do you have any thoughts on why the woman is looking at the angel and not the man? In my mind, the title of 'the Lovers' has a connotation of monogamous romantic partnership, but the fact that she's not interested in the man, but rather the angel seems like contrary evidence. I've read that the meaning of the Lovers could also be construed as choice. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Chrysalis

The Lovers in the RW represents the masculine and feminine, opposites, duality and conscious/subconscious aspects. The mans looking outwardly and the woman looking at the angel, is looking inwardly/spiritually.

Associating this with Gemini which is showing the twins. Because of the dual nature of Gemini, one of their challenges is to learn how to decide. So the card asks you to take your physical and emotional needs into consideration when making a decision.

I've just not worked out why there's the the Tree of Knowledge behind the woman and the Tree of Life behind the man.

moonkat235

The Lovers in the RW represents the masculine and feminine, opposites, duality and conscious/subconscious aspects. The mans looking outwardly and the woman looking at the angel, is looking inwardly/spiritually.

Associating this with Gemini which is showing the twins. Because of the dual nature of Gemini, one of their challenges is to learn how to decide. So the card asks you to take your physical and emotional needs into consideration when making a decision.

I've just not worked out why there's the the Tree of Knowledge behind the woman and the Tree of Life behind the man.

I like the bolded sentence. How do you know it's the Tree of Life behind the man?

Chrysalis

The tree of knowledge of good and evil was a different tree and the only tree with forbidden fruit. That leaves the other tree to be the tree of life.

I believe in the imagery that they are both standing in the garden of eden, which is why i see the two trees as the tree of knowledge and the tree of life.

Witchyone

Anyway, back to tarot...

This is the true danger of Tarot, or really any divination. I've done it to myself in my own readings out of ego/hope/desire. I have a friend who pays someone to do that for her. It makes me so angry that the reader takes advantage of her hope like that and that my friend never seems to notice that the reader just says what she wants to hear and then moves the goalposts when she inevitably turns out to be wrong.

Witchyone

Thoughts?

eWPzIUu.jpg

Compare it to the Devil card. Same people. In that one, the woman is looking at the viewer, and the man is looking at his chains.

To me this card is about duality, but not necessarily the marriage of opposites. It can be about that, but it often comes up when an important decision must be made between two paths.