School is really stressing me out! How will this semester turn out?

tikana

sounds veryyyy familiar..
same **** happened here..

most ppl at my uni are stuck up with grades but they dont understand that profs are basically told to pass a student.. grades are inflated.. the quality of education has literally bottomed out. Prfs are there for a paycheck. I had profs tell me "dont expect a miracle, get out of here as soon as possible. we are forced to pass students for financial aid reasons."

Last edited:

tikana

i got into 3 schools all 3 tops .. i had to decline them due to loan situation. i didnt take a risk.. i applied for a grad school and got in... now i need money and pass 3 classes prereques with B+.. interestingly enough all the horaries about that school are resulting in TOO EASY ....way too easy .. dont even bother.. andd that school is in top 10 in the US

Last edited:

Doodleloo

i got into 3 schools all 3 tops .. i had to decline them due to loan situation. i didnt take a risk.. i applied for a grad school and got in... now i need money and pass 3 classes prereques with B+.. interestingly enough all the horaries about that school are resulting in TOO EASY ....way too easy .. dont even bother.. andd that school is in top 10 in the US

Are you in grad school right now? What's your major?

sven555

Doodleloo, can i ask what your incentive for going into university?

Did you actually want to major in your chosen field? (Didn't you say it was a science?)

Don't worry about not knowing what you want to do. It is common. But sometimes we have to feed the 'system' before we can have our freedom.
i.e. try your absolute best to finish and then do what the hell you like!

If you dropped out of your studies, what would you do and where would you go?

I guess i was lucky enough to know what I have always wanted to do, computer science :)

Doodleloo

Doodleloo, can i ask what your incentive for going into university?

Did you actually want to major in your chosen field? (Didn't you say it was a science?)

Don't worry about not knowing what you want to do. It is common. But sometimes we have to feed the 'system' before we can have our freedom.
i.e. try your absolute best to finish and then do what the hell you like!

If you dropped out of your studies, what would you do and where would you go?

I guess i was lucky enough to know what I have always wanted to do, computer science :)

Yeahhhh just saying "graduate and then do whatever you want" isn't really helpful to me.

I know I want to be a doctor, a researcher, and a fiction writer. That's all I know.

sven555

Wow nice way to misquote me and not bother to answer any of my questions but one. I wanted to try and understand your motives behind applying for university and basically understand your situation.

I think I'll leave you to it.

Good luck

Doodleloo

Wow nice way to misquote me and not bother to answer any of my questions but one. I wanted to try and understand your motives behind applying for university and basically understand your situation.

I think I'll leave you to it.

Good luck

You literally said for me to try my best to graduate and then do whatever I want. That is unhelpful. I interpreted it as "push on through, even if you're unsure of what you want to do, and THEN do whatever you want!"

I find the first question you ask as pointless, hence why I ignored it. What other reason do people attend university other than to get an education and then to implement that into some sort of a career? I'm curious as to what other answers you think people can give to that. University is expensive. No one attends it just for fun (well, unless they're absolutely loaded and have tons of time on hand, but that's most definitely not the common circumstance). It's a major investment.

If I dropped out of my studies, what on earth would I do? Nothing can happen without money and knowledge/credentials in this world. That question isn't viable. If it was used as a means to figure out what I would do if I had no constraints, then again, my answer of "being a doctor, conducting research, and writing" is valid. If people don't know what they want to do, asking what they want to do is not the best question, because they're still exploring. Those are the only three things I know I want to do for sure. I answered all I had to in my mind.

Last edited:

waybread

Doodleloo, long ago and far away, there was such a thing as a liberal education or the liberal arts, which included a spectrum of the sciences, social sciences, humanities, and even the fine & performing arts. Your campus may also have "lib ed" or "gen ed" required courses for its majors, with even engineers required to take courses like "technology and society."

I wouldn't discount Sven's posts, because if you are so focused on doing well in your pre-med classes that the stress sometimes makes you feel ill, I have to hope that somewhere in your program you can take a course whose primary influence on your life is just to expose your mind to new and intriguing ways of thinking.

My understanding is that med schools do have hefty science requirements for admission, but they are also good with admitting students from a range of majors so long as those requirements are met.

I don't mean to talk down to you here. You are obviously one bright and ambitious individual, but somehow all of this seriousness and focus and "Doodleloo knows best" seem to be getting in the way of the good things that a university experience has to offer-- not to mention your personal satisfaction with life.

Also, sun-Leos are not like this 100%, but it is very common for them to dislike taking advice from anyone else, or even hearing other people share about their own experiences. Apparently these take away from *some* of the Leos' own sense of being queen in her castle. With the sun-Leos I know personally who are like this, I merely content myself with being the "good listener" because they will do whatever it takes to keep their leading lady role center-stage.

But at some point, does this really support them? We all have multiple planets to draw upon in our horoscopes, particularly at times when life screams at us that it is time to input an adjustment or correction.

waybread

Just one more thing-- sometimes confused students actually do know what they want to do, but they've rejected or discounted their dream because their elders have convinced them it's impractical. Psychologists who focus on women's life journeys have suggested that girls have a very strong sense of that ideal adult self when they are roughly aged 8-11, but then their culture sort of knocks it out of them. Oftentimes it's the parents who place major pressure on their children to conform to a lucrative and socially sanctioned life path.

If you can get back in touch with that girlhood self, she may speak to you about who you should become.

Doodleloo

Just one more thing-- sometimes confused students actually do know what they want to do, but they've rejected or discounted their dream because their elders have convinced them it's impractical. Psychologists who focus on women's life journeys have suggested that girls have a very strong sense of that ideal adult self when they are roughly aged 8-11, but then their culture sort of knocks it out of them. Oftentimes it's the parents who place major pressure on their children to conform to a lucrative and socially sanctioned life path.

If you can get back in touch with that girlhood self, she may speak to you about who you should become.

Funny enough, that little girl told me to be a doctor! :annoyed: So I've basically been straight-shooting for a long time before going "...Huh?"

Some of the stuff I have isn't psychosomatic. That is, I was ill before I was stressed from college, and it's probably going to stay that way.

I'm currently taking a psych course just because I needed something to fill hours, it seemed interesting, and was an easy class compared to everything else. So...there's that! It makes me want to explore the psych field a little bit more.

Waybread, I already stated that I have tried advisors before. The reason why I'm not listening to that advice is not because I dislike taking advice but because it didn't work. I'd rather run like you suggested than willingly talk to another course advisor. Advisors here are so focused on the students doing their own research and being independent that all that would result is me using up an hour of my time just to get where I would have ended up by myself. I wouldn't want to post on here and then discredit everything said to me, I'd rather just do what I'd want with only myself as the audience to my attempts than post on a forum for others to know.

waybread

Funny thing, but I didn't mention university advisors in my last few posts. I talked about advice more generally. Like you have gotten on this thread.

But wow, Doodleloo! How structured are you, if you see taking an hour out of your day to get some professional advice as taking up too much of your time?? Maybe counseling or career services would indeed be a waste of your time; but if you can't spare an hour out of your day for whatever isn't totally focused on your goals..... well, that would give most people stress-related problems. It would send me screaming for the exit.

When do you take time out of your day to do relaxing and even totally unproductive things for yourself?

Doodleloo

Funny thing, but I didn't mention university advisors in my last few posts. I talked about advice more generally. Like you have gotten on this thread.

But wow, Doodleloo! How structured are you, if you see taking an hour out of your day to get some professional advice as taking up too much of your time?? Maybe counseling or career services would indeed be a waste of your time; but if you can't spare an hour out of your day for whatever isn't totally focused on your goals..... well, that would give most people stress-related problems. It would send me screaming for the exit.

When do you take time out of your day to do relaxing things for yourself?

In your beginning posts, you were referring to career advisors, so I just kept thinking you were recommending those from then on.

I usually do something relaxing between homework in the evening on weekdays (like foruming or just internet browsing); it's usually in the evening because there are classes in the morning.

tikana

Doo

my advice to you is talk to the professionals who are in the industry. Go to presentations and stuff .. take their business cards, ask the questions.
Uni can do only so little. you need a field advice and not academical/uni counselors.

T