DISCUSS - Retrogrades in the nutshell

JUPITERASC

I love MD's post, but the implications of the bell curve confuse me.
I've read in multiple sources that the stationary phases are the most powerful in the retrogration cycle, which occur during the transition between direct motion and retrograde motion.
Therefore, shouldn't the beginning and end phases of the retrogration cycle be the most powerful, energetically?

Arian Maverick
RETROGRADES - GREGORY ROZEK http://gregoryrozek.com/en/astrology/retrograde-planets/ :smile:

JUPITERASC

I have six planets retrograde:

- Mercury in Pisces --> 5th House
- Mars in Virgo --> 9th House
- Jupiter in Virgo --> 9th House
- Saturn in Virgo --> 10th House
- Uranus in Virgo --> 1st House
- Pluto in Libra --> 11th House

This is quite a lot of planets retrograde in my birthchart. What does this mean?

RETROGRADE PLANETS AND THEIR NUMBER IN THE NATAL CHART http://gregoryrozek.com/en/retrogradeplanets/ :smile:

number-of-retrograde-planets-in-natal-chart.jpg

Mystar

JupiterASC...very cool article so far. It's gonna take me a while to finish reading it, but I can already tell it's going to be a point of reference to keep coming back to as I learn more.

JUPITERASC

JupiterASC...very cool article so far.
It's gonna take me a while to finish reading it, but I can already tell
it's going to be a point of reference to keep coming back to as I learn more.
Mystar Rozek has some excellent research published there

Moogs views on RETROGRADATION thread discussion may be of interest at
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=370532#post370532

William Lilly wrote:

“Every planet that is retrograde sheweth slownesse.”

then categorizes a retrograde planet
as having an accidental debility rating of -5 points.

However
in many of Lilly's examples
retrograde planets do not always show debilitated or negative outcomes :smile:

– that's because although theoretically
Lilly considers retrogradation not a good thing
due to the regular motion of the planet being impeded -
hence the accidental debility rating of -5 points

- nevertheless
the outcome is entirely dependent on the particular significations of the planet in the particular chart

Anachiel also notes that conversely
- there are circumstances when Lilly interprets events happening quickly and unexpectedly

for example:

Interesting.
There may be something to that as well in horary;

RX applications
one signifcator RX and the other direct
applying to each other
cause things to happen more quickly, or suddenly
than normal direct applications of significators.

Lilly's examples include ones where Retrograde planets can signify negative outcomes
such as the return of an illness.

Lilly gives examples of retrograde planets with positive outcomes as well
- as in for example, the return of lost or stolen possessions
the return of people from a journey
the return of sailing ships
the return of missing animals
the return of someone who has been imprisoned
the return to health after illness
and the return of a loved one

Mystar

JupiterASC,
I just started looking deeper into all the astrology back in September and have been doing a lot of reading about retrogrades. I was noticing all the articles people were writing about Mercury retrogrades and they all seemed to be more negative than positive about it. Being new to it all, I knew Mercury was a Gemini planet so I focused a lot more researching Mercury. I was facing an important decision back between September and October and read that plans and travel might be delayed or it might not be a good time to make travel plans, so I ended up cancelling them to look into it more. I started going over things that had been happening through this last year and where the Mercury retrogrades fit into the key points in the year and I found that all the positive points happened while Mercury was in its retrograde cycle (from the pre-shadow to the post-shadow periods) and all the negative points were happening between Mercuy retro cycles. So it seems to me that Mercury retrogrades work in my favor and it's kinda refreshing to know I'm on the right track with it because it was really starting to bug me about the negativity I was reading about concerning retrogrades. I'm sure for some people it can be negative, but it just seemed like there was more focus put into the negative than a balance of positive.
I'm still learning how to read my chart, but Mercury was direct in Gemini, so I'm thinking this might be part of why the Mercury retrograde works in my favor. Mars and Neptune were both retrograde in my chart as well as ceres, juno and pallas. I don't know how the last 3 fit into all that yet.I decided to stick with the major planets first. I have found some aspect patterns formed with those three and a Grand Trine with the moon, mars and chiron...and a kite with mercury in opposition of mars.There's some pretty cool reading here so far for sure.

JUPITERASC

JupiterASC,
I just started looking deeper into all the astrology back in September and have been doing a lot of reading about retrogrades. I was noticing all the articles people were writing about Mercury retrogrades and they all seemed to be more negative than positive about it. Being new to it all, I knew Mercury was a Gemini planet so I focused a lot more researching Mercury. I was facing an important decision back between September and October and read that plans and travel might be delayed or it might not be a good time to make travel plans, so I ended up cancelling them to look into it more. I started going over things that had been happening through this last year and where the Mercury retrogrades fit into the key points in the year and I found that all the positive points happened while Mercury was in its retrograde cycle (from the pre-shadow to the post-shadow periods) and all the negative points were happening between Mercuy retro cycles. So it seems to me that Mercury retrogrades work in my favor and it's kinda refreshing to know I'm on the right track with it because it was really starting to bug me about the negativity I was reading about concerning retrogrades. I'm sure for some people it can be negative, but it just seemed like there was more focus put into the negative than a balance of positive.
I'm still learning how to read my chart, but Mercury was direct in Gemini, so I'm thinking this might be part of why the Mercury retrograde works in my favor. Mars and Neptune were both retrograde in my chart as well as ceres, juno and pallas. I don't know how the last 3 fit into all that yet.I decided to stick with the major planets first. I have found some aspect patterns formed with those three and a Grand Trine with the moon, mars and chiron...and a kite with mercury in opposition of mars.There's some pretty cool reading here so far for sure.
Mystar there are as many astrological opinions as there are astrologers :smile:

To check out the Traditional perspective on Mercury Retrograde there's
So what happens AFTER Mercury in Retrograde ends? posted on our Traditional board at
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79524

by the way keep in mind that Traditional perspecive differs from modern

the following are the rules for our Traditional Board:
Traditional Astrology area is for thread discussions on Traditional Astrology only.
(Note: Typically, traditional astrology is defined as using techniques developed prior to 1700
by astrologers from the Hellenistic, Persian, Hebrew, and Renassiance eras.
Specifically it relies on Ptolemaic aspects (sextile, trine, square, opposition and conjunction)
and exludes modern planets (Neptune, Uranus and Pluto,) non-Ptolemaic aspects, as well as any asteroids.
The focus is less on what would be considered modern psychological chart interpretetation and more on prediction.
Members who wish to explore a combination of traditional and modern ideas
should feel free to start a new thread in an appropriate forum for further discussion.)

Then check out threads on retrogradation on our Vedic board
Vedic astrology has yet another slant on retrogrades :smile:

Mystar

Thanks...I will have to make sure I read the rules a little more throoughly before I start posting too much. Still kinda new here and started digging in right away to the education board.