anyone love Solar Arcs?

bittermoon

would love to revive this solar arc thread. i've just gotten into them and been reading everything i can online and i just ordered noel tyl's book. they do seem very valid but i'd use them in combination with transits and progressions, not stand alone. to me, they provide the background, the stage where the transiting and progressed planets are the performers.

with solar arcs, it is however VERY important to have an exact birth time as the angles are very, very important. so in order to get a proper solar arc reading, you may have to get your chart checked and rectified. i recently had it done and as it turns out, my birth time was indeed correct.

when i met my now ex husband, solar arc uranus was exactly conjuct my natal moon, SA jupiter (ruler of my 9th and 10th) conjunct my MC (i met him abroad and moved abroad to be with him), and SA saturn was conjunct my venus and my progressed sun exactly conjunct my juno.

Alice McDermott

I only asked because Noel Tyle´s book uses all of these aspects in equal measure. Was just wondering if anyone has a program which allows you to do those calculations.

Almost all advanced astrology programs give the ability to calculate solar arcs to midpoints.

This is a very accurate form of forecasting so is well worthwhile pursuing. In addition, transiting midpoints to natal planets are excellent timers for events.

Solar Fire offers several options on ways to do this, including the Dynamic section, which will list SA planets to natal midpoints and vice versa and the Graphic Ephemeris, which puts Solar Arc midpoints to natal or vice versa on a 90 degree or 45 degree graph.

Bear in mind that Solar Arcs don't move an even 1 degree per year, they are calculated from the movement of the Secondary Progressed Sun i.e. you take the degree, minute and second of the natal Sun away from the degreee minute and second of the SP Sun and then apply the result to all the planets, angles and house cusps. This gives excellent accuracy and timing.

Alice

dr. farr

Right, this is the difference between Solar Arc and the closely related simple symbolic directions as developed by Carter, Frandkland and others: in simple symbolic directions a set time measurement is used, commonly one degree for one year of life; however, there are other directional measurements which can be used*, and I have followed Carter in applying several of these and combine and contrast the directional results from each. However, the more easily available (on computer programs) Solar Arc is quite excellent, much to be preferred (in my opinion) to either primary or secondary progression methods.

(*these include the duodenary, 2.5 degrees per year; the sub-duodenary, 0.208 degrees per year, the septenary, 4.28 degrees per year-aka the "Life Point" or "Uranian" directional measurement, and the Average Degree Direction, 2.78 degrees per year)

GEMINI78

SA Venus Conj ASC. SA Sun Conj Venus in 11H SA Mars Conj Pluto in 2H I have all three of these Solar Arcs aspects making an exact conjunction at the Same time the end of 2013. Venus conj ASC could be a time of advancement career or socially. Sun conj Venus in 11H is a time when the doors of love may swing open or birth of a child(not lol). Mars conj Pluto in 2H could be an indicator of extreme aggression concerning money or maybe self worth issues. It all depends on NATALLY if these planets have applying aspects to each other.

Last edited:

greybeard

Boy, I've got SA Saturn coming up on my r.Pluto on the 2nd house cusp. I think it's gonna kill me. Any suggestions? Nice Saturn, good Saturn....Here, have a cookie.

Saturn is lord of my 8th. Pluto sits right on the 2nd cusp (i.e., opposes the 8th cusp; and in Vedic, the 2nd is the death house). And Pluto will oppose my Asc by transit soon...

Now I have seen everyone in here describing ways to make these planets do what we want them to do instead of what they want to do... What should I do?

Desperate in Sheboygan.

Cypocryphy

Go Vedic and buy some jewels. Make a sacrifice or, at the very least, a burnt offering. :wink:

It appears that you no longer have a deterministic view of astrology. (I had the impression that you did.) There are "no atheists in a foxhole," right? (Strange that saying has survived from WWI—or has it, and it's just me using it?).

There are anecdotes of some who have tried to circumvent Moira but failed, despite commendable efforts. I'm sure you are familiar with such stories, more so than I.

A great parable comes to mind: The Merchant of Bagdad. I'll paraphrase . . . .

A merchant's servant went to the market in Bagdad to buy some goods. As he was shopping, he noticed a woman in the market beckoning him. When he approached her, he was able to more clearly see her face, and it was the face of Death. Terrified he ran to his abode, the home of the merchant. He told the merchant how he had seen Death, and that Death had beckoned him. He begged the merchant to lend him a horse so that he could ride to Samarra and escape. The merchant complied, but angered, he went to the market to confront Death. At the market, he saw the woman standing, and he approached Death. "Why did you beckon my servant and scare him away?" the merchant asked. "I need him." Death replied: "Oh. I wasn't beckoning him; that was a gesture of surprise. I didn't expect to see him in Baghdad when we have an appointment in Samarra."​

That parable always cracks me up.

Anyway, practically, I think a visit to your general practitioner would be in order. I think you should have your colon checked (Pluto and its representing waste). You should also check for pancreatic cancer (Pluto again). The theme of cancer is supported by Saturn (wasting disease). In fact, all associations by this combination should be investigated. You will see the combinations better than I.

The bottom line is that any proactive approach would be good.

With luck, this post gave you another plan of action.

All the best,
C.

greybeard

I think your scheme only tells me What is going to get me... But doesn't give me a way out of Got. I was hoping someone could sell me a map showing the location of the Fountain of Youth, give me a hookup with a cloning doctor or one of those quick-freeze guys. Or maybe someone would donate a trip to Mars...Death wouldn't go clear up there to get me -- not cost effective.

P.S. -- I'm still a Stoic. Today's a good day to die, or throw a party.

Same story, Mexican style....

A hippie is sitting in the park, long tangled hair, unkempt beard, sandals, ragged clothes, when he sees Death coming along. The hippie runs over to the barber shop, gets a bath, haircut, shave, manicure. Slips next door to the tailor's, gets a tux and alligator shoes, sunglasses. Right on the corner is an elegant restaurant. Death would never look for a hippie in such an upscale, expensive place, so the hippie takes a table in the corner, half-hidden by a potted palm. Death, meanwhile, is frustrated, not being able to find the hippie. Standing by the open door to the restaurant She says, "Nuts. I can't find that darned hippie They sent me after. Guess I'll just take that fellow dining on the steak there in the corner."

Theoretically, solar arc directions should involve the Angles (preferred), Sun, Moon or Part of Fortune* in order to precipitate a significant event in the life. Notwithstanding, I would not ignore such directions as Saturn, lord of 8th, to Pluto on the radical 2nd cusp while the transiting Pluto stands on the western Angle, opposing the life-giving Ascendant (and the Descendant is the point on the horizon where planets set and enter the Invisible World, and is therefore considered a point of death.)

*The Part of Fortune is the synthesis of Sun, Moon and Ascendant, thus its power as a significator.

Last edited:

Cypocryphy

:lol: Nice story. Sounds like something I would do and, more likely, sounds like something that would happen to me.

Yeah. I have no means of assuaging the planets and trying to make them work at one's behest, though western occultism might have some answers. Certainly, Vedic astrology provides some methods of remedy, but I have very little knowledge in that area.

What I was implying with the post was that by acting passively—meaning that you wait for the event to transpire and then discover the situation has incontrovertibly befallen you—you put yourself in a more adverse position than would have been the case.

For example, my grandmother found she had colon cancer a year ago. This condition befell her years ago, but because of her reluctance to have a medical checkup, so as to address the issue before it became "too large to handle," her cancer spread to a point that required aggressive medical treatment, which nearly cost her life. If she had been proactive, the event would have been minimized. So I suppose I am saying that though the event might not be prevented, its severity might be reduced. At least, that's the theory.

Certainly such precautionary measures have not worked for everyone. For example, a crushing blow to the skull proved fatal to Bartolommeo della Rocca despite his laudable effort to avoid his astral death sentence. His wearing a metal cap under his hat to avoid his ill fated demise proved meaningless in the end. But I say gamble everything for life and love because they usually come around so infrequently. Once seems to be the normal occurrence, from my observations.

I think I'm going to research remedial measures. Seems like it would be important to know. If I find anything of value, I will share.

greybeard

Thanks. I really don't worry about such things. I have found that fear and life do not make good partners.

Solar arcs seem, to me, to work pretty well -- provided we keep them connected to the implications of the radix, that is, when they are read in the context of the natal chart.

!4C

I've been a bit apprehensive about my SA MC conjunct natal south lunar node (SA IC - natal NN) at my solar return in November. I seems a decision I make or a an uncontrollable event will have a significant impact on other people. I'm still not sure about the polarity of the lunar nodes, so I hope it will be for the better. To add to the uncertainty, comet C/2012 S1 ISON will be conjunct my natal uranus in the SR chart and transiting uranus will cross my natal MC next year. :andy:

Does anyone else have story/example connected with SA MC conjunct natal lunar south node?

dr. farr

Boy, I've got SA Saturn coming up on my r.Pluto on the 2nd house cusp. I think it's gonna kill me. Any suggestions? Nice Saturn, good Saturn....Here, have a cookie.

Saturn is lord of my 8th. Pluto sits right on the 2nd cusp (i.e., opposes the 8th cusp; and in Vedic, the 2nd is the death house). And Pluto will oppose my Asc by transit soon...

Now I have seen everyone in here describing ways to make these planets do what we want them to do instead of what they want to do... What should I do?

Desperate in Sheboygan.

What could be done?

1) make a list of all the negative, disruptive qualities, actions, reactions and affinities of Pluto:
-then, consciously avoid these affinities, qualities, actions and reactions
2) make a similar list for Saturn:
-then, consciously avoid these affinities, qualities, actions and reactions

But EQUALLY
+ make a list of the positive, constructive qualities, affinities, actions and reactions of Pluto and of Saturn, and, consciously seek to activate, manifest and connect with the + Plutonic and Saturnine elements.

Between the 2 the most important is the second, ie, finding the + qualities and affinities of the threatening planets and then incorporating these into one's "sphere" by conscious will. We overcome the - potentials by resonance, not by resistance!

greybeard

Most people go to visit the doctor because some physical ailment impairs their ability to live as they would like. They don't often go because they suffer from a spiritual ailment. The normal patient expects to walk out of the doctor's office with several bottles of Dr. McGinty's Magical Miracle Pills, pills that will chase away the demons of toenail fungus and lost virility, as well as keeping them laughing in the face of foreclosure on the ancestral farm.

I go to your office and come out with a To Do list that as a footnote includes the Labors of Hercules. No magic pills.

Your prescription is the only one that really works.

Sadly, the world is more likely to beat a path to Dr. McGinty's door than yours. Emerson was wrong about mouse traps. Narrow is the way and strait is the gate, and few there be that find it. But it never hurts to post a sign pointing the way. Now and then a pilgrim will take heed and follow the path less traveled.

Thank you dr farr.

Last edited:

chris10

I've been a bit apprehensive about my SA MC conjunct natal south lunar node (SA IC - natal NN) at my solar return in November. I seems a decision I make or a an uncontrollable event will have a significant impact on other people. I'm still not sure about the polarity of the lunar nodes, so I hope it will be for the better. To add to the uncertainty, comet C/2012 S1 ISON will be conjunct my natal uranus in the SR chart and transiting uranus will cross my natal MC next year. :andy:

Does anyone else have story/example connected with SA MC conjunct natal lunar south node?

Hi !4C.
Just checked my SA IC conjuct natal North Node. When it was within a degree of becoming exact, I moved to Europe. Different continent plus I had to live at my grandparents' home whom I adored. When the aspect became exact a year later, I moved from my grandparents' home to our own; this time the move was just down the block.
My NN is in natal 4th.

I agree! I had the flip transit to you. Solar Arc Sun opposing natal Pluto. A dramatic few years. I love solar arcs tho, incredibly predictive

I just been through SA Pluto conjunct Natal Sun. Just about out of orb range suggested by Noel Tyle which is 40´ on separation. I know from this that Solar Arcs are real and very strong.

I have come to think that Solar Arc is essential in any transit reading.

For those who still want to know.
Astro.com under Ebertin chart with midpoints pdf. It’s free.
Is there any particular program which allows you to calculate SA to Midpoint progressions?

It is fairly easy to see the SA to Natal conjunctions, squares and oppositions, but for semi-square to a midpoint, is going to take a bit more time to do it by sight.

Starlink, or anyone?

Thanks

I would use the date of separation for research as that’s when your life actually changed. Always interesting to look at the chart of signing anything tho. Gives another layer to things

If we follow Noel in the theory of using only the family of squares for your marriage we would use: SA venus conjunct merc (relationship/contracts) and square Saturn (stability). What houses do these planets rule in the natal?
Then we could use the Merc opposite jupiter (emphasis on contracts?) You say merc rules 8th and 11th (transformation/ friendship/collective?)
Inconjuncts in progressions, as someone pointed out, indicate the need for a resolve of tension? Any Yods pointing to a choice? That would make perfect sense.
The divorce would be the SA sun square neptune and sun is in natal 8? What does it rule and neptune? Just curious as SA Neptune is opposed natal sun/square natal moon and sesqui venus/mars in my SA/natal chart right now:)
I would say the venus conjunct uranus on the progressed chart might seal the deal. I will look at my divorce. I wonder...did you use the date of the final legal disolution? or the time of separation. Since actual divorces tend to drag on and on and then the signing of the papers is anticlimatic
I wonder what date you would use? I have the date of the divorce. I will check that one.

Wow how did all this go? Did you have a passionate love affair?
SA Venus Conj ASC. SA Sun Conj Venus in 11H SA Mars Conj Pluto in 2H I have all three of these Solar Arcs aspects making an exact conjunction at the Same time the end of 2013. Venus conj ASC could be a time of advancement career or socially. Sun conj Venus in 11H is a time when the doors of love may swing open or birth of a child(not lol). Mars conj Pluto in 2H could be an indicator of extreme aggression concerning money or maybe self worth issues. It all depends on NATALLY if these planets have applying aspects to each other.

FraterAC

Think theres enough to look at with just the SA conj, squares without going so far into Midpoints, thats really fine tuning to the enth degree hon. look at other things to back up and reinforce what SA are saying...
I've been using AstroDeluxe by Halloran Software for many years and it does do SA (and any progressions) to Midpoints.
If you're still out there looking!