Are you a loner?

Gemini888

Didn't expect so many people to come here :tongue:

You are good saving your privacy :applause: which house system are using btw? And why?

I just trying to aproach your natal with traditional astrology, maybe we could spot on your loner personality. Nothing more.

Could you tell us more what bother you?
I use the Placidus system. I haven't tried my hand on other system though. I'm used to Placidus so I would like to focus on it at the moment.

And yeah, I really like to analyze things (if I didn't then I wouldn't be here studying astrology). Astrology has really pushed me to question whether what I see is what I get. And that coincidentally something that fits my Scorpio NN. I have Taurus SN and Taurus doesn't question things twice, and that was my situation when I was young.

Actually I only notice my loner tendency recently. When I was young I was desperate for socialization and did some really pathetic things. Now I know better... My loner tendency has always been there. It's just that I wasn't comfortable with it back then.

South Node in 1st is a big loner tendency too.

Agree. Though SN is our tendency and NN is what we have to strive for. I think of 1H SN more as a tendency to care too much for one's own need, and one has to learn to work together with other people. I don't know if my Scorpio NN will be happy with that, but I have learned to balance my need with others' need recently. I notice that I have really... specific quirks and back in my youth I was so proud of it that other people's interest seemed stupid to me. Now I learned to respect them. Yeah I was incredibly self-absorbed back then.

Hmm?
These are my placements. Seems I have a few in common with the OP.

Surprise huh? I didn't know we share so many similar placements :love:

I am definitely a loner. I enjoy dining alone. I enjoy doing things alone. I currently go for monthly lunch with a friend, but truth be told, I'd rather go alone. I don't feel very close to her and I have pretty much zero friends other than her, a fact I am very OK with. It's strange, when I was younger, about 15, 16-ish, I remember going to this department store alone and I had a milkshake that tasted so good, I just wished I had someone around to tell it to. That feeling was so intense that, after 24 years, I still remember it. But to contrast that with where I am now, the difference is just so stark. Now I go anywhere and do everything alone. I have absolutely no need for a companion. I have no need for other humans. If I could, I would just keep to myself and not talk to anybody for literally weeks on end. Its strange how people change and evolve over time.

I attribute my solitary ways to my Pisces rising. I also have Saturn conjunct my Descendant nearly exact.
I don't know about you, but here's what I notice from myself: I have always leaned on the loner side. It's just that in the past I didn't know how to balance my need to be alone and being a reliable person. I had two extremes: one wanted to cling on people as much as possible and the other thought everyone was stupid. Now I can enjoy people's company while balancing time for myself. I have a few people I can truly relate to. But Gemini Sun and Aquarius Uranus say it doesn't hurt to extend my circle :lol:

Witchyone

Np I’m the same, this is the best article I’ve read about it so far. There’s a part near the bottom that talks about how to navigate relationships because we will attract strong partners with Rahu in 7th. It’s mind-blowing.

Where is your Mars? Being assertive, instead of aggressive or passive, is one of the ongoing difficulties in my life. I have sun in the 1st house along with that south node, and Mars in Leo. So there is this drive to assert a strong, constant self, but it's hard to figure out what that self wants.

I have dreams about a river, and over time I've come to think that the river is the consciousness of everyone who ever lived. I feel like there's an answer to my questions there, and sometimes it occurs to me when I'm dreaming, but I forget it when I wake...something to do with the river.

greybeard

If all of the planets below the horizon (not counting Sun or Moon) are retrograde, the person is a Loner, a solitary creature. There is a deep wish for the security of a family, but for some reason the native is unable to keep the family relationships going, and turns to his/her solitude. It can be one planet or four, as long as "all the planets below the horizon are retrograde."

Venus retrograde tends toward "Withdrawal", reclusiveness, austerity. A good key for a loner type.

Gemini888

If all of the planets below the horizon (not counting Sun or Moon) are retrograde, the person is a Loner, a solitary creature. There is a deep wish for the security of a family, but for some reason the native is unable to keep the family relationships going, and turns to his/her solitude. It can be one planet or four, as long as "all the planets below the horizon are retrograde."

Venus retrograde tends toward "Withdrawal", reclusiveness, austerity. A good key for a loner type.
I have 5 retrograde planets. But the only retrograde planet below the horizon is Mercury. All other (Jupiter, Pluto, Uranus, Neptune) are up there. Now that's complicated. Retrograde planets are supposed to be a loner's placements, but what if they are above the horizon? Any thought?

Ukpoohbear

Where is your Mars? Being assertive, instead of aggressive or passive, is one of the ongoing difficulties in my life. I have sun in the 1st house along with that south node, and Mars in Leo. So there is this drive to assert a strong, constant self, but it's hard to figure out what that self wants.

I have dreams about a river, and over time I've come to think that the river is the consciousness of everyone who ever lived. I feel like there's an answer to my questions there, and sometimes it occurs to me when I'm dreaming, but I forget it when I wake...something to do with the river.

My Mars is in Gemini, its probably my best aspected planet along with the Sun. Moon and Venus are heavily afflicted. But yeah, I definetely relate to learning how to stand up for myself. I’ve learnt to take on blame which doesn’t belong to me, which made me either passive or then have an anger outburst because it got too much. Thankfully as I’ve gotten older I’ve learnt how to express myself, helped along by a well placed Mars in Gemini.

I dunno if you can relate to this too but I had a lot of emotions projected onto me growing up, that were so heavy and that I accepted as belonging to me, as you do as a kid when you are a victim to your environment.so as well as learning to express myself properly, more recently I’ve learnt not to accept all the negative energy that people still project on to me. I think this comes from Ketu being headless and formless, so people will project on to us.

Learning to recognise what energy is mine and what is other people’s energy is crucial to me. I’m looking into techniques to protect myself from this even more, like salt baths and burning sage. People projecting on to me still happens all the time, but at least it doesn’t give me depression anymore. But with Rahu in 7th, it’s something I’m going to have to always be aware off.

I know Ketu in 1st can make someone somewhat self-absorbed but it’s understandable when you look at it as a form of protection. Obviously the ideal is to become less self-absorbed once you learn how to deal with negative energy, at the same time as learning to connect with other people more, but not letting them project whatever they want on to you. It’s quite difficult and it’s definitely a process. So being a loner is necessary to me and actually something I plan to embrace more by changing my lifestyle to accepting this about me.

The reoccurring river dream sounds very interesting. Have you heard if the Akashic records, that sounds like something similar, where all information can be accessed. As Ketu in 1st people, we are definitely spiritual beings.

Last edited:

SunConjunctUranus

Many planets in retrograde defines also a loner. How true do you'll think this is?

I don'think so, it depend on other configurations to make the judgements. Not only by looking the motion of the planets. Ie: jupiter and mars retrograde, and if these 2 planets has few aspect to the sun or the moon in the 11th house, come on now, I dont think the chart owner is looner. ESPECIALLY in Fire sign.

Last edited:

Lykanized

Many planets in retrograde defines also a loner. How true do you'll think this is?
I think so. Retrograde planets are more idiosyncratic in nature, more subjective, more intense, but there's almost this frustration because the individual has to find their own way to express the energy and that does take a lot of introspection and independence. Their nature doesn't align with the expected nature of the planets since they're more selfreferencial. With retrogrades, you're forced to find your own way to some extent and it both necessitates much solitude and leads to much solitude. I think retrograde individuals can also strike others as offkilter or flat out bizarre so they may become loners for that reason if not the others

For instance the very common Mercury retrograde...with a retrograde Mercury, the individual may seem slower, but in all actuality, they're just more in tune with the big picture, something highly subjective, and they're trying to put the pieces together into that larger picture. It might create a more mentally focused, introverted person, but one who also doesn't feel like they're well understood by others

It's highly uncommon to have no retrogrades, but I remember reading that there was correlation between 0 rX planets and politicians. I think that's an interesting insight

Last edited:

Witchyone

My Mars is in Gemini, its probably my best aspected planet along with the Sun. Moon and Venus are heavily afflicted. But yeah, I definetely relate to learning how to stand up for myself. I’ve learnt to take on blame which doesn’t belong to me, which made me either passive or then have an anger outburst because it got too much. Thankfully as I’ve gotten older I’ve learnt how to express myself, helped along by a well placed Mars in Gemini.

I dunno if you can relate to this too but I had a lot of emotions projected onto me growing up, that were so heavy and that I accepted as belonging to me, as you do as a kid when you are a victim to your environment.so as well as learning to express myself properly, more recently I’ve learnt not to accept all the negative energy that people still project on to me. I think this comes from Ketu being headless and formless, so people will project on to us.

Learning to recognise what energy is mine and what is other people’s energy is crucial to me. I’m looking into techniques to protect myself from this even more, like salt baths and burning sage. People projecting on to me still happens all the time, but at least it doesn’t give me depression anymore. But with Rahu in 7th, it’s something I’m going to have to always be aware off.

I know Ketu in 1st can make someone somewhat self-absorbed but it’s understandable when you look at it as a form of protection. Obviously the ideal is to become less self-absorbed once you learn how to deal with negative energy, at the same time as learning to connect with other people more, but not letting them project whatever they want on to you. It’s quite difficult and it’s definitely a process. So being a loner is necessary to me and actually something I plan to embrace more by changing my lifestyle to accepting this about me.

The reoccurring river dream sounds very interesting. Have you heard if the Akashic records, that sounds like something similar, where all information can be accessed. As Ketu in 1st people, we are definitely spiritual beings.

One of the main reasons I like being alone is because I am constantly telling stories to myself inside my head. Other people talking to me interrupts the inner dialogue I'm enjoying. It's particularly annoying when I'm having really interesting thoughts, and someone boring comes along and talks to me.

I don't feel that other people project their feelings onto me, but I do have a habit of imagining what people are feeling and then taking on those imagined feelings and tormenting myself with compassion for them. I hate confrontation, even though I sometimes seek it out because I feel compelled to share the truth, and I resist anyone's attempts to influence or control me. The only exception has been when I was newly in love with someone. I'd be so enamored with everything about him, I'd let my guard down and just absorb it all...obviously, not a healthy thing to do, but it seemed to happen automagically. A course correction would come after, when I had to reestablish the me in the relationship.

It is possible to take the alone thing too far. I know because I did it, and it almost drove me crazy. I guess everyone has an edge where sweet solitude becomes loneliness, and I found mine. I started getting social anxiety and paranoia. I'm married, so I'm never totally alone for very long, and I'm very grateful for that. I think I might have really gone nuts if I didn't have him.

I haven't heard of the Akashic records. I just looked it up and see it's a Rudolph Steiner idea. It sounds similar to Jungian theories about the collective unconscious. I have a lot of recurring dreams about houses too. I feel like the houses have to do with me and my family, while the river dreams are connected to everyone/everything.

Starsareround

I think so. Retrograde planets are more idiosyncratic in nature, more subjective, more intense, but there's almost this frustration because the individual has to find their own way to express the energy and that does take a lot of introspection and independence. Their nature doesn't align with the expected nature of the planets since they're more selfreferencial. With retrogrades, you're forced to find your own way to some extent and it both necessitates much solitude and leads to much solitude. I think retrograde individuals can also strike others as offkilter or flat out bizarre so they may become loners for that reason if not the others

For instance the very common Mercury retrograde...with a retrograde Mercury, the individual may seem slower, but in all actuality, they're just more in tune with the big picture, something highly subjective, and they're trying to put the pieces together into that larger picture. It might create a more mentally focused, introverted person, but one who also doesn't feel like they're well understood by others

It's highly uncommon to have no retrogrades, but I remember reading that there was correlation between 0 rX planets and politicians. I think that's an interesting insight

I feel this is true as well. I also have Merc retrograde and my Merc definitely functions in an unusual way.

Ukpoohbear

One of the main reasons I like being alone is because I am constantly telling stories to myself inside my head. Other people talking to me interrupts the inner dialogue I'm enjoying. It's particularly annoying when I'm having really interesting thoughts, and someone boring comes along and talks to me.

I don't feel that other people project their feelings onto me, but I do have a habit of imagining what people are feeling and then taking on those imagined feelings and tormenting myself with compassion for them. I hate confrontation, even though I sometimes seek it out because I feel compelled to share the truth, and I resist anyone's attempts to influence or control me. The only exception has been when I was newly in love with someone. I'd be so enamored with everything about him, I'd let my guard down and just absorb it all...obviously, not a healthy thing to do, but it seemed to happen automagically. A course correction would come after, when I had to reestablish the me in the relationship.

It is possible to take the alone thing too far. I know because I did it, and it almost drove me crazy. I guess everyone has an edge where sweet solitude becomes loneliness, and I found mine. I started getting social anxiety and paranoia. I'm married, so I'm never totally alone for very long, and I'm very grateful for that. I think I might have really gone nuts if I didn't have him.

I haven't heard of the Akashic records. I just looked it up and see it's a Rudolph Steiner idea. It sounds similar to Jungian theories about the collective unconscious. I have a lot of recurring dreams about houses too. I feel like the houses have to do with me and my family, while the river dreams are connected to everyone/everything.

I love the inner world of an introvert! Extroverts obviously have their charm on show but you just know with an introvert that there inner world is vivid but something you can only guess at yourself. That’s funny you used to prefer the conversations inside your own head, who can blame you for that when most people in this world aren’t concerned with seeing beyond what is infront of them!

The projection thing I was mentioning could be coming from somewhere else in my chart. My guess being Lilith conjunct my natal MC, thats probably a huge factor. In contrast, my sister (the favoured one) has Venus conjunct the MC, so you can see the different roles we have been given.

But the 1/7th axis is about relationship karma, so not necessarily being projected upon then. Do you have strong Earth or something that stops people from controlling you? Maybe it’s cos I have Neptune on the angles that gives the projecting issue.

I’ve been single for years because I get so consumed with the person I’m with. So I went the other way and for the past 3 years I’ve isolated myself. It’s been good to rebuild myself but I agree with you that it’s not healthy in the long run and we would be missing out on what our 7th house wants us to do.

Is your husband the socialable type? Ive thought it would be good to be with someone more extroverted than myself, although I can put on a good show of extroversion when I’m in the right mood. I guess that’s my way of controlling the situation. Or when I’m comfortable with people I am louder.

I don’t know if I’ll ever stop feeling lonely though. It’s like a burden I carry around with me, a heaviness and a sadness. It’s a gift and a curse because it gives people like that the ability to understand another’s pain because they live without themselves,but part of that responsibility means your own won’t ever go away...This is bound to be a Ketu in 1st thing,although other placements can do the same I think.

Witchyone

I love the inner world of an introvert! Extroverts obviously have their charm on show but you just know with an introvert that there inner world is vivid but something you can only guess at yourself. That’s funny you used to prefer the conversations inside your own head, who can blame you for that when most people in this world aren’t concerned with seeing beyond what is infront of them!

The projection thing I was mentioning could be coming from somewhere else in my chart. My guess being Lilith conjunct my natal MC, thats probably a huge factor. In contrast, my sister (the favoured one) has Venus conjunct the MC, so you can see the different roles we have been given.

But the 1/7th axis is about relationship karma, so not necessarily being projected upon then. Do you have strong Earth or something that stops people from controlling you? Maybe it’s cos I have Neptune on the angles that gives the projecting issue.

I’ve been single for years because I get so consumed with the person I’m with. So I went the other way and for the past 3 years I’ve isolated myself. It’s been good to rebuild myself but I agree with you that it’s not healthy in the long run and we would be missing out on what our 7th house wants us to do.

Is your husband the socialable type? Ive thought it would be good to be with someone more extroverted than myself, although I can put on a good show of extroversion when I’m in the right mood. I guess that’s my way of controlling the situation. Or when I’m comfortable with people I am louder.

I don’t know if I’ll ever stop feeling lonely though. It’s like a burden I carry around with me, a heaviness and a sadness. It’s a gift and a curse because it gives people like that the ability to understand another’s pain because they live without themselves,but part of that responsibility means your own won’t ever go away...This is bound to be a Ketu in 1st thing,although other placements can do the same I think.

You sound so much like me on the social stuff. I score introvert on personality tests, but just barely. I am kind of in the middle, and I can be quite social. Clearly, I like engaging with people online about ideas. My husband is similar. He's Gemini rising and Libra moon, so no matter the situation or his mood, he can turn on the charm in a social situation.

I have definitely allowed myself to be controlled by others before, including my husband in the early part of our marriage, but what I meant was that I'm always trying to guard against that. Even as a kid I can remember avoiding situations and people and keeping my true feelings and wants secret so that they would be safe from other people's wills. This is probably partly because I was a predator magnet. I cannot tolerate people who try to bend me to their will. I have some significant earth: Taurus rising and Venus in Taurus; Venus as chart ruler; Mercury and Saturn in the 2nd house; and moon in the 10th.

I do understand that chronic loneliness you're talking about (and it's a lot different than the loneliness of isolating oneself that I was speaking of). Maybe it's the understanding that we're each locked inside our own consciousness. No matter how close you get to someone else, there's no breaching that barrier.

Gemini888

I feel this is true as well. I also have Merc retrograde and my Merc definitely functions in an unusual way.
I have retrograde Mercury in Gemini. Now things are interesting. My mind is actually slower than you expect from a Gemini. When I was young I thought I had a mental disability. I tried too hard to be quicker but I just fell on the face. I only started to appreciate my mental capability recently, when I learned how much I can see below the surface.

I also have Saturn square Mercury to boost. It's like the universe is telling my Mercury "hey, you are being obnoxious. Please slow down".

Starsareround

Interesting! one of my sons has Saturn conjunct Mercury. How do you feel the hard Saturn/ Merc aspects play out in general? I'm sure it adds a hesitancy to believe in your own ability to be "right" and communicate that and an insecurity with intellectual prowess, but an eventual mastery of subjects on a deeper level. I kind of love these introverted and stifled Merc placements, because without questioning yourself and your ability and knowledge you can never really go deep into any subject.

It has taken me right up to basically mid-life to learn what my mind's super power is, my Merc didn't find its stride in the world until very recently. :sideways: Mercury retrograde for ya!

Last edited:

Lykanized

Like Gemini888, I used to think I was dumb too. And I guess it doesn't help my Mercury's debilitated by oppositions to Uranus and Neptune and is hit by Mars in an easy aspect which can make the mind quite impulsive and Pluto(malefic?). And funny note, all those planets are rx except Mars. We all have to find our ways to embrace the gifts we have even if those gifts don't fit into any box

Lykanized

I have retrograde Mercury in Gemini. Now things are interesting. My mind is actually slower than you expect from a Gemini. When I was young I thought I had a mental disability. I tried too hard to be quicker but I just fell on the face. I only started to appreciate my mental capability recently, when I learned how much I can see below the surface.

I also have Saturn square Mercury to boost. It's like the universe is telling my Mercury "hey, you are being obnoxious. Please slow down".
I think it can definitely feel slower, but in reality, I think we're searching for a much more complete image so it may take longer, but it'll be deeper. I'm glad you've come to appreciate your gifts 😊

Ukpoohbear

You sound so much like me on the social stuff. I score introvert on personality tests, but just barely. I am kind of in the middle, and I can be quite social. Clearly, I like engaging with people online about ideas. My husband is similar. He's Gemini rising and Libra moon, so no matter the situation or his mood, he can turn on the charm in a social situation.

I have definitely allowed myself to be controlled by others before, including my husband in the early part of our marriage, but what I meant was that I'm always trying to guard against that. Even as a kid I can remember avoiding situations and people and keeping my true feelings and wants secret so that they would be safe from other people's wills. This is probably partly because I was a predator magnet. I cannot tolerate people who try to bend me to their will. I have some significant earth: Taurus rising and Venus in Taurus; Venus as chart ruler; Mercury and Saturn in the 2nd house; and moon in the 10th.

I do understand that chronic loneliness you're talking about (and it's a lot different than the loneliness of isolating oneself that I was speaking of). Maybe it's the understanding that we're each locked inside our own consciousness. No matter how close you get to someone else, there's no breaching that barrier.

I score highly on the introvert thing but maybe that will change as I develop more. I was extremely extroverted when I was younger, then used alcohol to deal with social anxiety and the past 3 years I’ve isolated myself but feel more grounded because of it. So the next step for me is to keep the grounded introverted me that has given me confidence from within and then use any extroversion I have in the right way and by communicating with people at large. That’s the plan anyway, a good plan with Rahu in 7th.

I’m a predatory magnet too, but instead of protecting myself like you do with your earth, I can use my abundance of fire to protect myself, as well as having integrity on my side. There is so much bs in this world and someone has to say what everyone else is thinking, so that’s my job role. I have zero earth unlike you, so I think isolation was important to learn how to ground myself. It’s like preparation or hiding in a cave like Robert the Bruce did, where he came up with his next plan to defeat the enemy lol. I’m fire, and a mix of water and air.

Gemini888

Interesting! one of my sons has Saturn conjunct Mercury. How do you feel the hard Saturn/ Merc aspects play out in general? I'm sure it adds a hesitancy to believe in your own ability to be "right" and communicate that and an insecurity with intellectual prowess, but an eventual mastery of subjects on a deeper level. I kind of love these introverted and stifled Merc placements, because without questioning yourself and your ability and knowledge you can never really go deep into any subject.

It has taken me right up to basically mid-life to learn what my mind's super power is, my Merc didn't find its stride in the world until very recently. :sideways: Mercury retrograde for ya!
My intelligence was always the source of my insecurity. Now this is when the conflict between Saturn/retrograde and Gemini started. Gemini prides itself on it mental capacity. And seeing my intelligent being as good as a rock is a big blow to its ego, especially when you have people around you constantly questioning why you are so stupid. I always had that feeling of "what's wrong with me? I should be intelligent, but why am I so stupid?" even before I knew I was a Gemini. My Mercury also inconjuncts MC, which only added to the misery (in fact, I found out that my Mercury is probably the worst aspected planet in my chart. Its only hope is the quintiles with Mars and Neptune, though I'm not familiar with quintiles)

It's like Gemini wanted to run and explore, but something invisible is holding it back and it can't figure what it is. So it strikes hard to break free. And when it is finally able to take some steps, it still works harder to achieve the speed it wants, but little does it know that it is so strong it could break a mountain by now :rightful:

Well, that's my experience with retrograde Mercury square Saturn. How about your son and you? How do you think the sign of Mercury plays out in this mix?

Starsareround

Quintiles are nice! They are reflective of special talent!

I always kind of worried about my son’s Saturn conjunct Mercury. He’s pretty shy for a Leo and even though I KNOW he loves to be loved for his essence and just solar energy it’s something that holds him back from stepping into the spotlight. He is, however, very intelligent and has a great, dry sense of humor and has always been able to make adults laugh not in a goofy way, but in an uncannily witty way. It’s odd when you see a little kid do that. Big brain on him.

His Merc and Saturn are also in Leo

And although he is well loved, he’s totally a loner.

If I had to sum up his attitude, it would be THE SKEPTIC

Last edited:

Witchyone

I score highly on the introvert thing but maybe that will change as I develop more. I was extremely extroverted when I was younger, then used alcohol to deal with social anxiety and the past 3 years I’ve isolated myself but feel more grounded because of it. So the next step for me is to keep the grounded introverted me that has given me confidence from within and then use any extroversion I have in the right way and by communicating with people at large. That’s the plan anyway, a good plan with Rahu in 7th.

I’m a predatory magnet too, but instead of protecting myself like you do with your earth, I can use my abundance of fire to protect myself, as well as having integrity on my side. There is so much bs in this world and someone has to say what everyone else is thinking, so that’s my job role. I have zero earth unlike you, so I think isolation was important to learn how to ground myself. It’s like preparation or hiding in a cave like Robert the Bruce did, where he came up with his next plan to defeat the enemy lol. I’m fire, and a mix of water and air.

Did you see this thread? It's about NN in 7th and SN in 1st.
https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108245

SunConjunctUranus

Gemini888 and Starareround

Both of you had mercury (gemini and virgo respectively) are retrograde? Hhmmm man, that's like watching movie and replaying it again and again hahaha with maximum speed of course as both of your sign is native ruler. :biggrin:

Btw how you all get over it? As I'm Cap Mercury in retrograde too. I feel dumb and I'm dumb and/or lazy too actually in academics.