reception by exaltation

lilopinpin

simple question, for example mars in gemini and mercury capricorn. would this put any strenght in those planets?

thankyou

Dirius

simple question, for example mars in gemini and mercury capricorn. would this put any strenght in those planets?

thankyou

In the general sense of natal chart reading, mutual reception is considered when 2 planets are making an aspect, to help determine the implications of such interaction. In your example both planets are not making an aspect (Gemini-Capricorn are disconnected signs).

Example: Sun in Scorpio squaring Mars in Leo (recieving each other by sign)

Planets in mutual reception are not really "strengthen" by each other per se, there is merely just a good disposition between them, and in the case that they have some sort of interaction (by aspect or conjunction), will either benefit more easily from the other planet's positive influence or avoid the negative one. They are also able to overcome problems created by the negative nature of an aspect (square or opposition) with much more ease. In the example I provided above the mutual reception helps "tone down" both the negative implications of the square aspect and the malefic influence Mars may cast over the Sun.

Reception can be mixed: rulership to rulership, exaltation to exaltation, term to term, triplicity to exaltation, rulership to face, etc.

Last edited:

Vyri

Banned
:happy: Appreciate the comments given here: Yet...

There are different opinions from authors on the subject of natel
receptions i.e. acceptable techniques with consideration as to whether or not planets effect potential benign/detrimental influences set up in different signs/houses; should they find themselves within different areas of the map setting up various affinities between themselves; irrespective to aspect experienced between the planets considered in mutual reception.
You are very succinct in your ability to describe these issues but I thought something was missing in the explanations. Not argueing the facts you have given here just augmenting should I be able to so.

It is my opinon these two arts-natel and horary-do overlap. It is the quality of tonal value or energy each planet expresses in various signs having an affinity to each other equated of distance (as you have mentioned) which demonstrates 'personality' effecting events in the life. The principals of reception are based upon quality of energy felt from a planets distance=aspect, thereby receiving harmonious/disharmonious refractions of light/energy qualified of position. The aspect expresses in such a way that we may 'expect' events or activities that give reference to either horary or natel art definitions.

One of these authors is Alan Leo, as well Llewellyn and even Lilly.(making reference that without a through knowledge of nativities the foundation of horary is mute testimony of success.)

Llewellyn states: Planets which may be in each other's dignities act as though in good aspect to each other. Planets in each other's debilities act as though in adverse aspect to each other, unfriendly or hostile. This matter should be carefully noted when comparing the horoscopes of two individuals.

It is my understanding that portent or future potentials are created from our character developments of traits or temperment. These various stimulas (aspects) impel our responses felt of different energy perceptions=emotions and various thinking patterns-ultimately createing events/activities-character then being the foundation of destiny.

We should view each planet as an individual given the capacity to express itself portraying a pressence on or within a stage setting dependant upon their affinity with other planets/signs placements within the map=a reference to distance.

"Me Casa Su Casa." My energy is demonstrated as comfortable or uncomfortable/disharmonious within your house. We either have something in common or we experience differences. Therefore I react in your house creating a different mode of expression; temperament or aspect/tonal value which= an expected (portent) activity/event; the planets temperment character does not bid well there. (the distance representing an obstacle energy or opposition.) Should the planets exist in the same triad or triplicity (again as you have stated) the effect can be thought of as similiar with an understanding of how affinities work.

These principles can be found in both natel charts or horary as events/births are brought forth of our thoughts resulting in activity.

Have you ever heard the expression "thoughts are things?" It is the power of our desires or thinking patterns/thought form cells/that bring events into being. The planets are host to these creative impulses. As likened to the Moon ruling the tides of the oceans.

There is a relevance of natel/horary, the two go hand in hand being statistically verified by delineation technique.

please forgive the syntax errors.

Only my two cents worth
All the best
Vyri

Last edited:

tikana

Dirius

you know how much i love you but i have to sort of disagree with you

see that kind of mutual reception strengthens both planets because they are not in conflict.

sun/mars both hot and dry yes they are in square but it is not a bad one

square by exalt is worse it is more aggressive

hugs
T

Dirius

see that kind of mutual reception strengthens both planets because they are not in conflict.

You are missing my point tik.

I'm saying that it is not the mutual reception what gives strength, because mutual reception its just good disposition between the planets. It is the aspect which provides the benefits or debilities between the planets. A mutual reception without an aspect, doesn't really mean much because there wouldn't be an interaction between both planets (as is the case of OP), and is also another way to avoid a problem.

Thats what I was trying to say :lol:

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Dirius

sun/mars both hot and dry yes they are in square but it is not a bad one

hugs
T
seems OP is highlighting reception by mutual exaltation

so
occurred to me to find a few examples of squares by mutual exaltation
but found only one example of square by mutual exaltation :smile:
Libra Jupiter square Cancer Saturn

and square by exaltation being "the most aggressive/challenging"
am considering how this works in principle
since Saturn would harm Jupiter

JUPITERASC

Interesting then that GW BUSH has Libra Jupiter square Cancer Saturn :smile:
Also interesting that reception by exaltation between Jupiter and Saturn
occurs only rarely
often gaps of more than 800 years
unless a retrograde of both or either planet causes recurrence

tsmall

Premium Member

thankyou

This isn't really mutual reception by exaltation, since Mercury is not the exaltation ruler of Gemini. What you have here is mixed mutual reception. It's still valid, but because as Dirius is pointing out, not going to be terribly helpful because the signs themselves are in aversion, meaning they do not see each other.

That said, Paul of Alexandria, among others, gives us a bit of insight into averse signs, and the ways that the aversion can be mitigated. Capricorn and Gemini are signs of equal rising. To encapsulate what Paul tells us, signs of equal rising that are disjunct by 150* will sympathize with each other (this is also called generosity), though they might not be able to affect the significations of one another. In the case of Gemini and Capricorn, Capricorn has more "power/influence" over Gemini.

The whole point of mitigating aversion is to provide those signs, and the planets within them, a way of bearing witness, or giving testimony to the rulers of those signs and so influence the direction of the significations of those signs/houses.

In the case of Capricorn/Gemini, Mercury would be much like the friendly neighbor (think the character of Wilson in the "Home Improvement" series) who has terrific advice for life matters, but isn't directly involved in the affairs of Mars. Mercury brings experience, wisdom, and Mars will listen, but ultimately Mercury cannot do anything to actually affect the affairs of Mars, and likely won't be bothered much by or solicit the advice of Mars.

JUPITERASC

This isn't really mutual reception by exaltation,
since Mercury is not the exaltation ruler of Gemini.
The OP choice of example of reception by exaltation was flawed :smile:
Kevin Costners chart https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Costner
is an example of a reception by exaltation where the two planets are in square aspect
Capricorn Sun square Aries Mars

What you have here is mixed mutual reception. It's still valid, but because as Dirius is pointing out, not going to be terribly helpful because the signs themselves are in aversion, meaning they do not see each other.

That said, Paul of Alexandria, among others, gives us a bit of insight into averse signs, and the ways that the aversion can be mitigated. Capricorn and Gemini are signs of equal rising. To encapsulate what Paul tells us, signs of equal rising that are disjunct by 150* will sympathize with each other (this is also called generosity), though they might not be able to affect the significations of one another. In the case of Gemini and Capricorn, Capricorn has more "power/influence" over Gemini.

The whole point of mitigating aversion is to provide those signs, and the planets within them, a way of bearing witness, or giving testimony to the rulers of those signs and so influence the direction of the significations of those signs/houses.

In the case of Capricorn/Gemini, Mercury would be much like the friendly neighbor (think the character of Wilson in the "Home Improvement" series) who has terrific advice for life matters, but isn't directly involved in the affairs of Mars. Mercury brings experience, wisdom, and Mars will listen, but ultimately Mercury cannot do anything to actually affect the affairs of Mars, and likely won't be bothered much by or solicit the advice of Mars.

tikana

You are missing my point tik.

I'm saying that it is not the mutual reception what gives strength, because mutual reception its just good disposition between the planets. It is the aspect which provides the benefits or debilities between the planets. A mutual reception without an aspect, doesn't really mean much because there wouldn't be an interaction between both planets (as is the case of OP), and is also another way to avoid a problem.

Thats what I was trying to say :lol:

without an aspect in nativity it is still effective

i have 2 pairs

mars behaves like moon
moon behaves like mars

venus behaves like merc
merc acts like venus

no aspects between them

IleneK

Premium Member
without an aspect in nativity it is still effective

i have 2 pairs

mars behaves like moon
moon behaves like mars

venus behaves like merc
merc acts like venus

no aspects between them

This is very interesting. Would you mind to describe a bit further or maybe an example of what you mean by "moon acts like Mars; Mars acts like moon?"

Last edited:

tikana

This is very interesting. Would you mind to describe a bit further or maybe an example of what you mean by "moon acts like Mars; Mars acts like moon?"

Mars is responsible in woman's chart how you approach your mate.
Moon is responsible for feeling interact
like i get very martianalllistic when i someone gets to my moon (emotions) so i retaliate.
But expression of Mars comes out as a passionate conquest.

tsmall

Premium Member
All, I restored a post by Vyri to this thread. Please keep in mind that if we were only allowed to mention historical traditional authors, we would leave a number of contemporary traditional astrologers out of the conversation.

JUPITERASC

In the general sense of natal chart reading,
mutual reception is considered when 2 planets are making an aspect,
to help determine the implications of such interaction.
In your example both planets are not making an aspect (Gemini-Capricorn are disconnected signs).

Example: Sun in Scorpio squaring Mars in Leo (recieving each other by sign)

Planets in mutual reception are not really "strengthen" by each other per se,
there is merely just a good disposition between them, and in the case that they have some sort of interaction (by aspect or conjunction),
will either benefit more easily from the other planet's positive influence or avoid the negative one.
They are also able to overcome problems created by the negative nature of an aspect (square or opposition) with much more ease.
In the example I provided above the mutual reception helps "tone down"
both the negative implications of the square aspect
and the malefic influence Mars may cast over the Sun.

Reception can be mixed:
rulership to rulership, exaltation to exaltation, term to term, triplicity to exaltation, rulership to face, etc.
Dirius, continuing on the interesting theme of reception by exaltation
mutual reception by exaltation for planets in SQUARE aspect
cannot occur in either Fixed or Mutable signs :smile:
Your example of Sun in Scorpio squaring Mars in Leo
is reception by domicile

however
reception by exaltation re: planets in SQUARE aspect is found solely in CARDINAL Signs

IleneK

Premium Member
Dirius, continuing on the interesting theme of reception by exaltation
mutual reception by exaltation for planets in SQUARE aspect
cannot occur in either Fixed or Mutable signs :smile:
Your example of Sun in Scorpio squaring Mars in Leo
is reception by domicile

however
reception by exaltation re: planets in SQUARE aspect is found solely in CARDINAL Signs

Thank you, JA, for helping clarify and define the scope of the discussion.

If I may, I would like raise an example for comment from Darius and others who might be interested:

How do you see Moon in Leo applying to square Sun in Taurus?

This would represent a mixed reception, but I wonder if Darius or others might comment on how either reception might mitigate this very challenging square; challenging because it is also Sun in the 9th and Moon in the 12th.

tsmall

Premium Member
Thank you, JA, for helping clarify and define the scope of the discussion.

If I may, I would like raise an example for comment from Darius and others who might be interested:

How do you see Moon in Leo applying to square Sun in Taurus?

This would represent a mixed reception, but I wonder if Darius or others might comment on how either reception might mitigate this very challenging square; challenging because it is also Sun in the 9th and Moon in the 12th.

The simple answer is that the Moon doesn't always require reception in order to perfect a matter. And Bonatti's table of perfection tells us that a square with this type of reception operates more like a sextile.

That said, We can parse it out by examining the individual pieces.

The Moon in Leo has no power (authority/dignity.) Well, that depends on whether you ascribe to the Moon being peregrine throughout Leo, or if you believe the lights are "fully familiar" with each other's signs. Because the Moon receives the Sun from her exaltation, she can push management as well as nature. From the 12th makes her completely cadent, in the house of bad Spirit. Out of sect for being above the horizon in a day chart, out of domain for being in a masculine sign and quadrant, unconfigured to the ASC, so unable to really view things as they are, or ought to be.

Sun joy's in the the 9th, is also cadent but configured to the ASC by trine. Again out of domain for being in a feminine sign and quadrant, receiving the Moon from the 12th.

I would say that the "challenge" in the square, with the Sun dominating/overcoming (because the Sun is in the 10th sign from the Moon) would be manifest in the easy familarity/aspect between the two, and what they represent in the chart. The aspect itself is less challenging than it appears, but with both planets out of domain, something different will be apparent in the houses they both rule, but because the Sun dominates it will likely be reflected more in what the native chooses and less in what happens to the native.