Random Thoughts, strictly Text

petosiris

Banned
I wouldn’t mind a little happiness without anesthesia for real :)

Where is the soul indicated in your charting method?

I follow Ptolemy almost to the letter on this chapter - the Moon and Mercury, and their predominators (by house, exaltation, triangle, term and aspect) indicate the qualities of the soul/mind, with their signs and phases cooperating as does the placement of the Sun - http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Ptolemy/Tetrabiblos/3D*.html#13

I have Mars and Mercury as operative-powerful predominators, I am a leader of armies (in StarCraft :tongue:), skilful, vigorous, active, not to be despised, resourceful, inventive, sophistic, painstaking, rascally, talkative, pugnacious, tricky, unstable, a systematic worker, practising evil arts, keen-witted, deceitful, hypocritical, insidious, of bad character, a meddler, inclined to rascality but nevertheless successful and capable of keeping contract and faith with persons like myself, and in general injurious to my enemies and helpful to my friends. The morning additive phase of Mars in the east makes me more liberal, simple, self-willed, strong, noble, keen and open, while the evening additive phase of Mercury in the north makes me noble and wise, but with mediocre memory, not painstaking nor fond of labour, but an investigator of hidden things and a seeker after the unknown.

One can change or at least control his character with the help of God, although this would be more difficult than being born with something different like a dignified Jupiter soul.

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
Didn’t he throw a hissy fit in the temple? When they were selling wares there?

Have you read Matthew 5-7 and Matthew 26? The early Church Fathers like Tertullian wrote apologetic works defending the pacifism of the Christians:

''In that last section, decision may seem to have been given likewise concerning military service, which is between dignity and power. But now inquiry is made about this point, whether a believer may turn himself unto military service, and whether the military may be admitted unto the faith, even the rank and file, or each inferior grade, to whom there is no necessity for taking part in sacrifices or capital punishments. There is no agreement between the divine and the human sacrament, the standard of Christ and the standard of the devil, the camp of light and the camp of darkness. One soul cannot be due to two masters— God and Cæsar. And yet Moses carried a rod, and Aaron wore a buckle, and John (Baptist) is girt with leather and Joshua the Son of Nun leads a line of march; and the People warred: if it pleases you to sport with the subject. But how will a Christian man war, nay, how will he serve even in peace, without a sword, which the Lord has taken away? For albeit soldiers had come unto John, and had received the formula of their rule; albeit, likewise, a centurion had believed; still the Lord afterward, in disarming Peter, unbed every soldier. No dress is lawful among us, if assigned to any unlawful action.''
On Idolatry Chapter 19: Concerning Military Service - http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0302.htm

I do believe that Jesus will make war with the false messiah and the nations when he returns at the end of the seven years, and also with the devil at the end of the thousand years, but God will lead this war, not men, in conformity with Romans 12:19, and with the wonders that are described by the Prophets.

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
Moon, Mercury, and Sun for soul. Interesting. Where is your Moon?

You do not use East and west the way others do correct?

Here I used them as others do and as Ptolemy implies in this chapter - Asc is East, Mc is South (North in the southern hemisphere), Dsc is West and Ic is North (South in the southern hemisphere). I have the Sun and Mercury at the very beginning of Libra by night, and the Moon at the very end of Scorpio.

Sometimes when I refer to eastern planets, I mean planets eastern from the Ascendant and Descendant (in 4 5 6 10 11 12 houses), and correspondingly with western (in 1 2 3 7 8 9 houses).

Moon and Mercury mostly to be exact, the Sun is secondary consideration according to many Hellenistic astrologers, and it has to do more with dignity and social status, rather than mental qualities. They are interconnected, but different.

Some looked at the Ascendant, but I and Ptolemy don't, because we find it more earthy and bodily in nature. Some astrologers wanted the bodily temperament to correspond entirely to the soul (physiognomically), but Ptolemy says that the body is only partially related via the Moon, and the two differ via the Ascendant and Mercury.

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
I wouldn’t mind a little happiness without anesthesia for real

Are you a teetotaler? Do you think it is possible that people can drink at banquets and marriages only to the extent that their mood improves without falling into unconsciousness?

petosiris

Banned
Do you have a specific, limited definition for "predominator / predominates"?

The planet that has most familiarities/rulerships with a given planet or angle, the five methods of domination according to Ptolemy are house, exaltation, triangle, term and aspect, they are equal considerations (either naturally or relatively speaking).

In the first place, we should examine that place of the zodiac which is pertinent to the specific heading of the geniture which is subject to query; for example, the mid‑heaven, for the query about action, or the place of the sun for the question about the father; then we must observe those planets which have the election of rulership to the place in question by the five ways aforesaid; and if one planet is lord in all these ways, we must assign to him the rulership of that prediction; if two or three, we must assign it to those which have the more claims. - http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Ptolemy/Tetrabiblos/3A*.html#3

In Medieval and Renaissance astrology, there was an almuten technique, that was the same but used a pointing system, so the house was 5 points, the exaltation was 4 points, the triangle was 3 points and so on, with some differences between authors. I use the Ptolemaic one, though I sometimes factor in a planet that has almost the same number of rulerships, say if in a chart Mercury has 4 rulerships over the Moon and Mercury, and Mars has 3 rulerships over the Moon and Mercury, I would use Mars as well, even though Mercury is slightly predominating (literally) the qualities of the soul, Mars would cooperate so to say.

Sure, I've met people who can do that. "Without falling into unconsciousness" is a pretty low bar!

The first dosage seems fine to me, the second is questionable unless it is at the end of a big event, people may tolerate it more. I do agree though, that drinking can become quickly disgusting or even dangerous. I drink in moderation and I've never drunk myself to vomit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short-term_effects_of_alcohol_consumption#Effects_by_dosage

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
So confusing that you use them differently at times, when most people do not even use them at all!

Hey, at least I don't use the term ''eastern'' also for morning planets as the ancient texts often do (along with the Ascendant or ''eastern quadrants'', though they are indeed eastern relative to the Sun.

petosiris

Banned
Those generic scientific descriptions of how "everyone" or even "large groups of people" are affected by substances never apply to me. For sure Neptune gives a kind of hypersensitivity, perhaps a protective complement to curiosity.

Science is almost always statistics and general, not particulars, it does mention that - ''Different BACs have different effects. The following lists describe the common effects of alcohol on the body depending on the BAC. However, tolerance varies considerably between individuals, as does individual response to a given dosage; the effects of alcohol differ widely between people. Hence in this context, BAC percentages are just estimates used for illustrative purposes.'' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short-term_effects_of_alcohol_consumption#Effects_by_dosage

That calculation method makes sense thanks, maybe the predicate is usually implied, or I just missed it in reading your posts and quotes. Maybe I need to try my hand at using it. Do you have to rectify the chart so a planet is angular first? That seems to have muddled mine a bit?

It is a common traditional technique used by a variety of astrologers throughout the ages, first it shows that the houseruler is not the end all be all, while at the same time it prunes the excessive details (like having five rulers). I have some examples of how I use it here - https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1012609&postcount=2

I recommend you just give it a go. You may try it as you wish and like.

(I rectify an aspect to an angle, doesn't need to be a conjunction. Traditionally, some used the numerical degree of the predominator of the syzygy - https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1017249.)

Last edited:

Opal

Premium Member
Have you read Matthew 5-7 and Matthew 26? The early Church Fathers like Tertullian wrote apologetic works defending the pacifism of the Christians:

''In that last section, decision may seem to have been given likewise concerning military service, which is between dignity and power. But now inquiry is made about this point, whether a believer may turn himself unto military service, and whether the military may be admitted unto the faith, even the rank and file, or each inferior grade, to whom there is no necessity for taking part in sacrifices or capital punishments. There is no agreement between the divine and the human sacrament, the standard of Christ and the standard of the devil, the camp of light and the camp of darkness. One soul cannot be due to two masters— God and Cæsar. And yet Moses carried a rod, and Aaron wore a buckle, and John (Baptist) is girt with leather and Joshua the Son of Nun leads a line of march; and the People warred: if it pleases you to sport with the subject. But how will a Christian man war, nay, how will he serve even in peace, without a sword, which the Lord has taken away? For albeit soldiers had come unto John, and had received the formula of their rule; albeit, likewise, a centurion had believed; still the Lord afterward, in disarming Peter, unbed every soldier. No dress is lawful among us, if assigned to any unlawful action.''
On Idolatry Chapter 19: Concerning Military Service - http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0302.htm

I do believe that Jesus will make war with the false messiah and the nations when he returns at the end of the seven years, and also with the devil at the end of the thousand years, but God will lead this war, not men, in conformity with Romans 12:19, and with the wonders that are described by the Prophets.

Very interesting Petosiris! The military Jesus, of Nazereth. Thank you!

Opal

Premium Member

This is really interesting Petosiris, I will be back, Thank you!

leomoon

Obituary:

Noel Tyl died yesterday. I need to find where to put his chart.
The importance of this date is it was his 83rd Solar Return.

Happy journeys amongst the stars Noel! His astrology website still remains.

added: I cannot locate his forum now, it must have been deleted.
Meanwhile, for those who don't know him, here is his Bio:

http://www.noeltyl.com/background.html

Last edited:

Opal

Premium Member
Obituary:

Thank you Leomoon,

I appreciate knowing, so I can send him thanks and energy of grateful reading from his writings.

conspiracy theorist

Obituary:

Couple of places you could post his chart - in celebrity astrology, the predictive section if the focus would be on timing of his death (some would find that morbid but different people, different sensibilities) or even on this thread since discussions here are so free-ranging and mercurial. But I imagine you'd want to focus on his life and work so a thread dedicated to him would probably be ideal.

david starling

Couple of places you could post his chart - in celebrity astrology, the predictive section if the focus would be on timing of his death (some would find that morbid but different people, different sensibilities) or even on this thread since discussions here are so free-ranging and mercurial. But I imagine you'd want to focus on his life and work so a thread dedicated to him would probably be ideal.

Any opinions concerning Noel Tyr's contributions to the astrological body of knowledge?