Noel Tyl and Jung's 4 types

wilsontc

Staff member
All,

I was wondering if anyone has ever used the chart analysis method of breaking down the chart into 4 quadrants and labeling them using Carl Jung's method:
- Intuition - quadrant 1 (houses 1-3)
- Feeling - quadrant 2 (houses 4-6)
- Sensing - quadrant 3 (houses 7-9)
- Thinking - quadrant 4 (houses 10-12)

The idea is that if a person has a lot of planets in a particular quadrant, they behave according to the indicated Jungian personality style.

Wondering,

Tim

Attachments

• Jung astrology model.jpg
    Jung astrology model.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

booboo

That's interesting I've never seen this before, but I have only one of Tyl's books, but as far as It goes for me that does seem to be true. Thanks for the new info :smile:

IleneK

Premium Member
All,

I was wondering if anyone has ever used the chart analysis method of breaking down the chart into 4 quadrants and labeling them using Carl Jung's method:
- Intuition - quadrant 1 (houses 1-3)
- Feeling - quadrant 2 (houses 4-6)
- Sensing - quadrant 3 (houses 7-9)
- Thinking - quadrant 4 (houses 10-12)

The idea is that if a person has a lot of planets in a particular quadrant, they behave according to the indicated Jungian personality style.

Wondering,

Tim

I have seen Jung's intuition associated with the fire triplicity, feeling with water, sensation with earth and thinking with air by Liz Greene, I believe [it has been awhile.] So a type would be represented by one house in each quadrant in that model. But I have not seen entire quadrants associated with a single type. Interesting question. I, as well, would like to know if there is a model as you describe.

Kitchy

Banned
From Jung and Astrology http://www.elizabethspring.com/Jung_and_Astrology.html-

"Since you want to know my opinion about astrology I can tell you that I've been interested in this particular activity of the human mind since more than 30 years. As I am a psychologist, I am chiefly interested in the particular light the horoscope sheds on certain complications in the character. In cases of difficult psychological diagnosis I usually get a horoscope in order to have a further point of view from an entirely different angle."
[edited quote over 100 words against Forum rules - Moderator]

I love Jung. The Jungian Tyl and MB and offshoots all point us into direction of transits and progressions in my opinion - the process of expansion or tightening up, letting loose or grasping hold - is what interested me most. I've done the quadrant study and my results have changed throughout my adult life through external influences that affected me on core levels.

Jungs 4 quadrants are not ultimately static, in my opinion - they change with the travel of the planets through the pie chart - which affect our responses, actions and perception of our life and struggles. The question, for me, is more about how does the initial stage of those quadrants grow larger or decline based on transits & progressions. (?)

The heavens are not so much static as they are repetitive and ongoing, I believe. What factors in human psychology affect a 4 cut pie chart? A pizza cutter. What is it that determines if we choose to cut the the pie into 4's or 8ths or 12ths, etc.?

Last edited by a moderator:

StillOne

Tim,

What you mentioned regarding quadrants and types certainly rings true for me! I'm focused in quadrants 2 and 4 and certainly identify with feeling and thinking! It also resonates with what my elemental breakdown in my chart looks like: mostly water and air!

Kali

Interesting! However, I'm not sure if I'm proving the point here or not with my chart. I consistently test as an NF, with scores around 90-95% N and 75-80% F.

My chart by quadrant:

1--Pluto, Uranus, Jupiter
2--Neptune, Mars, Moon
3--Venus, Chiron
4--Sun, Saturn, Mercury

By quadrant, my chart is distributed rather evenly, in a mystic rectangle pattern. So under the idea of Myers-Briggs by quadrant, I would think the scores would be less extreme. There is less in the third quadrant, so maybe that is why my N score is so high? I have 3 planets in the 4th quadrant, but my Thinking score is low.

By element my chart is all fire and earth, with singletons in water and air. The iNtuition score, being associated with fire makes sense, but having a lot of earth would point toward scoring higher in Sensing, which would have knocked down the N a bit.

I know for myself, I identify with my moon sign more than anything else. My sun sign is about my asthetics, but not my behaviors or motivations. I'm all 5th house Sag moon.

I'm curious about the planet conditions that could strengthen the Myers Briggs quadrants. For instance, in my chart, everything in quadrants 1 and 2 are retrograde (the moon obviously is not retrograde, but it's at maximum position out of bounds so it's a misbehaver, and Mars is OOB, too). My point is that none of my planets in the lower part of my chart behave like the textbooks say they should. They operate out of the box and I've grown more and more comfortable with it as I've gotten older. So even though my 4th quadrant is a strong one, my Thinking score is relatively low, even though Mercury is strongly placed and Saturn is conjunct my midheaven.

What have you guys seen? Any planetary conditions that seem to place the emphasis in some quadrants over others?

sibylline

Well, I do think types can be seen in the chart. I do not think quadrants have anything to do with it; I don't understand the logic behind that either. I'm an intuitive type (90-95%) and I have no planets in houses 1-3.

Humanitarian

Hmm. I need to separate the planets according to WSH and Placidus altogether
Placidus: 1Q1, 4Q2, 4Q3, 1Q4
WSH: 1Q1, 2Q2, 6Q3, 1Q4
That means in Placidus, I have dominant sensing and feeling features, but in WSH, sensing prevails every sense that I have. But, I'm an INFJ, introvert + intuitive + feeling + judging...