Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology > Astrology and Psychology

Astrology and Psychology For interesting discussions on psychological meanings and deeper implications in natal charts between members passionated by both psychology and astrology.

Unread 09-22-2015, 03:41 PM

Re: The Astrology of Myers-Briggs Personality Types

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arian Maverick View Post
Hello, everyone!

I've been researching the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Tool lately, which operates under the theory that people can be grouped according to certain characteristic ways of thinking and behaving. Visit The Myers & Briggs Foundation website or use your favorite search engine to learn more about the MBTI. There are many pages on the website, but MBTI Basics is a good place to start.

Basically, you are asked to choose between two preferences in four categories, and the interaction among these preferences determines your personality type. The qualities of Extraversion (E) or Introversion (I), Sensing (S) or Intuition (N), Thinking (T) or Feeling (F), and Judging (J) or Perceiving (P) are assessed, and the combination of these four preferences results in 16 personality types, which are described here.

They are:
  • ISTJ
  • ISFJ
  • INFJ
  • INTJ
  • ISTP
  • ISFP
  • INFP
  • INTP
  • ESTP
  • ESFP
  • ENFP
  • ENTP
  • ESTJ
  • ESFJ
  • ENFJ
  • ENTJ
I believe a discussion regarding astrological factors associated with the eight individual qualities--Extraversion (E) or Introversion (I), Sensing (S) or Intuition (N), Thinking (T) or Feeling (F), and Judging (J) or Perceiving (P)--would be a good place to start.

Then, perhaps, we can attempt to "create" a natal chart we feel aptly describes each of the 16 personality types. Obviously, there will be many astrological indicators for these 16 types, since we have a nearly infinite array of natal charts.

If we wish to take a less systematic approach, the thread participants can each list their personality type (if you don't know it, there are several free tests online) and describe which astrological factors in your natal chart you believe contribute towards the characteristics associated with your type. Naturally, not all of the characteristics of a certain type will apply to you, just as not all of the characteristics of a certain sign archetype or planetary placement will apply to you. We are each an intricate blend of characteristics.

I have not been tested by a certified MBTI consultant, nor do I intend to, but I seem to receive the result of INFP on several versions of the test.

EDIT: So as not to appear biased, I have removed the links for INFP. Please send me a personal message if you are interested in visiting the sites I found.

Now, here are some more general sites:
Arian Maverick
I have actually been tested for this by a professional counselor and I have also taken a few "online" tests.
They all come out the same:
INTJ

I have Virgo Sun, Cancer Moon and Gemini AC.
I might add that my moon is "out of bounds".

Mercury is Leo, and it is in an exact square to my Neptune in Scorpio.
I don't know if that has anything to do with my results.
It's been a challenge, but I think it also gives me a fair amount of creativity.
I am left handed too. I have always wondered what planets would tend to make a person more right brained. I have a feeling this square played a role for me.
I also have Venus in Libra and Mars in Scorpio for my other personal planets.

Unread 09-29-2015, 02:40 AM

I tend to get INFP when I take this test, with the F/T axis kinda low but in favor of feeling rather than thinking.
  • Ceres and Pluto in Scorpio in house 1
  • Sun in Libra in house 11
  • Jupiter and Venus in Virgo in house 10
  • Moon, Mercury, and Mars in Libra in house 12
With majority of my planets in houses 7-12, that could account for me being an introvert.

Three personal planets in house 12, Jupiter conjunct Venus, plus a water ascendant and a water planet in house 1 could account for the intuition, feeling, and perceiving. But I have a lot of air and earth in my chart so ultimately my feeling function is weak.
Unread 09-29-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutoniq View Post
I tend to get INFP when I take this test, with the F/T axis kinda low but in favor of feeling rather than thinking.
  • Ceres and Pluto in Scorpio in house 1
  • Sun in Libra in house 11
  • Jupiter and Venus in Virgo in house 10
  • Moon, Mercury, and Mars in Libra in house 12
With majority of my planets in houses 7-12, that could account for me being an introvert.

Three personal planets in house 12, Jupiter conjunct Venus, plus a water ascendant and a water planet in house 1 could account for the intuition, feeling, and perceiving. But I have a lot of air and earth in my chart so ultimately my feeling function is weak.
No the planets falling in 7th house to the 12th house is indication of extrovert.
Unread 10-01-2015, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theV View Post
I thought you were an infp when i was reading your post.

No INTP I actually took it again last night and that's what I got. I'm right at the border though. I'm actually pretty balanced in general, it seems (balanced or just confused?) My strongest imbalance is the N/S axis but my T function is just little bit stronger than my F and I feel like both types fit me in different ways. It's almost impossible to box a personality in like that. I prefer astrology because it's better at spotting the contradictions in personality.

Last edited by craft94; 10-01-2015 at 02:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to craft94 For This Useful Post:
theV (10-01-2015)
Unread 10-01-2015, 05:33 PM

I'm an ENTP
My astrological qualities are:
Capricorn Sun
Virgo Moon
Pisces Rising
Mercury Retrograde Aquarius
Venus in Aquarius
Mars in Aquarius
Unread 10-05-2015, 01:32 AM

infp

introversion: scorpio rising, pluto in 1st house, pluto conjunct ascendant, sun in 6th house, mercury in 6th house, mercury retrograde, venus trine saturn, jupiter opposite saturn
intuitive: mercury in aries, mercury square neptune, mercury square uranus, moon conjunct mars, moon in 8th house, mars in 8th house, uranus sextile ascendant
feeling: moon in cancer, moon in 8th, scorpio rising, moon conjunct mars, moon trine ascendant, neptune sextile ascendant, mars in cancer and 8th house too
percieving: sun in 6th house, mercury in 6th house, mercury trine mid-heaven, jupiter in 9th house, jupiter in leo, venus sextile jupiter, venus in gemini, venus in seventh house?

i get infp everytime... so i am. chart's in profile
Unread 10-05-2015, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theV View Post
No the planets falling in 7th house to the 12th house is indication of extrovert.
Honestly, I don't know if I'm extroverted or introverted. I crave interaction with others but I also have social anxiety, so I avoid the very thing I want out of fear. Ever since I read your post I've been asking myself, trying to somehow distinguish what it feels like to be an extrovert or an introvert. I...can't say I know one way or the other. The whole "gaining energy from others" vs "feeling energized when alone" doesn't really resonate with me. Honestly both situations make me feel tired after a period of time. True to my Libra nature, I need to balance the time I spend reflecting alone and the time I spend sharing my thoughts with others.

I got ENFP once from a test so I wouldn't be surprised if I were extroverted.
Unread 10-05-2015, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutoniq View Post
Honestly, I don't know if I'm extroverted or introverted. I crave interaction with others but I also have social anxiety, so I avoid the very thing I want out of fear. Ever since I read your post I've been asking myself, trying to somehow distinguish what it feels like to be an extrovert or an introvert. I...can't say I know one way or the other. The whole "gaining energy from others" vs "feeling energized when alone" doesn't really resonate with me. Honestly both situations make me feel tired after a period of time. True to my Libra nature, I need to balance the time I spend reflecting alone and the time I spend sharing my thoughts with others.

I got ENFP once from a test so I wouldn't be surprised if I were extroverted.
I can relate.
Unread 10-05-2015, 11:40 AM

craft94 have you received my pm
Unread 10-05-2015, 12:48 PM

I just took an mbti test to make sure, and I'm an INTP. I've had INTJ in high school, and ENTP when I got to college because I finally came out of my shell. But oh my god, I match INTP perfectly.
Unread 10-15-2015, 03:58 PM

I have heard about this test in the past, but thank you for the clarification (there were many things I didn't know about it).
Unread 10-24-2015, 06:27 PM

Im' a ISTP

introvert - sun and mercury in scorpio in 12 house conjunct chiron,moon in virgo,saturn in 5 house trine venus.
Most of my planets in south hemisphere.

sensing - moon trine neptune,neptune paralell asc,moon square asc

thinking - moon in virgo,ruler of asc in 3 house square mercury,ruler of asc conjunct uranus

perceiving - mercury in scorpio,mercury quincux saturn,uranus in 3° house

I think that when most of the planets are in the east and north in the chart may result in more extroverts while the opposite in introverts

the temperament can be related to the dominant element of the chart ...
eg
I am istp
istp is sanguine
My temperament is sanguine-choleric
and my chart has fire (choleric) and air (sanguine) dominant.

the temperaments by elements:
choleric - fire
phlegmatic - earth
melancholic - water
sanguine - air

to see your dominant element on the chart go in astro.com, extended chart selection ~> pullen / astrolog ~> simple chart delineation by Walter pullen

and see if your element are in accordance with your personality type
Unread 02-16-2016, 11:58 PM

Im an ISTP
Ascendant- Scorpio
Sun- Scorpio 1st
Moon- Taurus 6th
Mercury- Scorpio 1st
Venus- Scorpio 11th
Mars- Libra 11th
Jupiter- Leo 9th
Saturn- Gemini 8th
Neptune- Aquarius 3rd
Uranus- Aquarius 3rd
Pluto- Sagitarius 1st

1 Degree Aspects-
Sun square Uranus
Moon Square Neptune
Sun Quintile Neptune
Mercury Inconjunct Saturn
Venus Quintile Jupiter
Mars SemiSextile Jupiter
Neptune Septile Pluto
Unread 09-14-2017, 10:35 AM

I am an ENFP who is an Aries and I know another ENFP who is a Scorpio. How is that possibly?
Unread 09-25-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tautomer View Post
One of the major issues with it, is it assumes the cognitive functions manifest as distinct behaviors. It doesn't work that way. It is a theory of how someone thinks, and not much else. To extrapolate behavior from thinking is not going to be consistent enough to base that on. The best way to determine someones type is by viewing body language cues (which is subconscious) and interviewing the individual.
Exactly, and it seems to me most people are discussing this topic from a wrong point, it's not about being more or less emotional or logical person, or being more or less judgmental, introverted etc.
The test simply explains how someone takes information in and process them.
I'm going to link few pages for people who are interested in reading about cognitive functions.

It would be fun to try and link them to certain aspects in natal charts...

http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/

http://www.typeinmind.com/fise/

https://personalityhacker.com/nickna...ive-functions/
Unread 09-27-2017, 01:41 PM

I'm an INFJ.

Leo Sun
Pisces Moon
Libra Rising

Tags
astrology, myers-briggs, myersbriggs, personality, personality types, types