Ascendant Sign Descriptions

Claire19

TROPICAL ZODIAC ONLY PLEASE

NOTE: Asc signs can be modified in their physiology by the Sun sign, any 1st house planets, and by any planet within 1.5* of parallel the Asc or within 3-4* of longitude - of a correct, verified chart. Alterations to the normal patterns will only be partial and happen when the ruler of the correct Ascendant sign is conjunct or parallel a planet of differing element; when planets of a differing element are in the first house (such as Taurus rising with Sun in Gemini in 1st house); when there is a heavy concentration of planets in a differing element, especially if angular, but of the house that is not the native house of the sign on the Ascendant. Regardless, the basic essence of the sign on the Ascendant will still be there.

In facial outline identification, it is best to look at pictures of the person while still fairly young so you are not fooled by weight gain, sagging, fluid retention. Age 10-30 is a good range.

Sign Quality Differentiation by base outlines (as outlined by master astrologer John Willner):
CARDINAL - OVATE/ROUNDED FACES. The forehead area rounds or slants inward more than the fixed or mutable faces.
FIXED - RECTANGULAR OR SQUARISH/BLOCKY FACES. The face most often is straight along the edges so that the forehead/temples are about the same width as the lower jaw.
MUTABLE - NARROW/LONGISH TAPERING FACES. Can be rounded, but are usually noticeably slender or longish but often with wider foreheads.

Aries rising shows a bony or chiseled ovate head that in men can have a skeletal suggestion. The jawline can be narrow, but most often will be stronger/fuller than the other cardinal signs, and the neck is slimmer than normal.

Examples: Geraldine Ferraro, Barbra Streisand, Helen Reddy, Lynn Redgrave, Dick Gregory, David Souter, John Lennon.

Their energy is quick, courageous, direct and forward-moving (unless water or earth factors dampen the overall energy). The voice is normally louder or sharper than those around.

The eyes are active and can have a sharpness or brightness to them and there is a demeanor of energy. They eyebrows may be bushier or thicker than normal. The men can be rugged with a jutting or bony chin, which sometimes identifies them more than the outline of the face. Both sexes can be fair and ruddy, regardless of hair color (Caucasians). The personality is geared for action. These people lead with their initiative and can be quite bossy, "butt-inskies," and self-promoting. They tend to impose themselves on their surroundings with their agenda, getting others to do work for them. They energize those around them and pick up the energy in almost any environment or situation they become part of. They are natural leaders, business builders, inventors, entrepreneurs.

Taurus rising has a head and face that is more softly rectangular, and eyes to match: often brown, rounded, full, heavily lidded with long lashes and with a more steady gaze than Aries types.

Examples: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, Halle Berry.

Their energy is generally slow, deliberate, pacifying, sensible and grounded (unless fire or air factors show prominence). The voice is normally soft and pleasant, and speech consistent.

The nose tends to be broad or rounded at the tip and many have cute button noses. The neck and/or throat is usually thicker than normal. The shoulders are often more rounded than square-cut like other fixed signs. The height is usually short to average. The energy is much slower in tempo than the Aries types and they are accommodating, but not easily pushed. In fact, they will resent it. They prefer routines. They are generally pleasant looking if not beautiful, and their personalities will match. Deliberate, easy, leisurely, steady and natural is how they operate. They are the stabilizers of the zodiac and can be calming and soothing during a crisis. They may not but very up or down, but can emote if needed to entertain.

Gemini rising has a narrower head that is often longer than normal. Sometimes it is normal in length, but tapers to a narrow chin. There is often a high forehead, and the eyes can be wider apart than average. This is one of the signs that can allow a person to appear younger than their actual age.

Their energy is generally lateral, even scattered, receptive, communicative, quick and variable (unless enough earth or water factors calm it down). The voice may alternate quiet and louder, rising and falling easily in pitch or volume.

The eyes and movements of the hands are quick and varied, and the thinking and speech are quicker and more varied than Cancer or Taurus. They are alert and agile with longer than average limbs, hands and feet. The fingers are generally longer than average. They are talkers and can dominate the communication if confident of their audience. They generally can only be still if their hands and thoughts are focused on a task like writing, typing, or with crafts or artistic creativity. They tend to have intellectual interests, but have too much energy outward into the nervous system to not be physically active, even if only gesturing or walking. They bring interest, curiosity, spontaneity and variety to those around and can be charming with their wit and quick retorts.

Cancer rising has a rounded or oval shaped face. The mouth tends to be wide and there is a generally a feeling, sympathetic look to the face.

Their energy is centripetal-consolidating (outside-in), introverted, sensitive, receptive, reticent, cautious or conservative, protective, nurturing. They can be very in tune with the needs of others and public opinion, but can be moody and changeable in their own sensitivity (unless enough earth/stabilizing factors intervene). Their approach is subconscious and intuitive. The voice is generally modest in volume and their speech reticent. This sign is often indicated over Leo on the Ascendant by the distinct tendency to mull over words before responding or bumbling them (so as not to offend), or allowing subconscious slips.

The skin is usually soft and the eyes will reflect this softness rather than a sharpness or intensity. The shoulders are often rounded, some becoming hunch-shouldered with time. They can look cherubic or innocent, even childlike. These people are generally introverted, looking for a place of respect. They avoid confrontations normally and tend to exert influence more behind the scenes, taking control tacitly with the support of others. Whether they maintain close bonds with the family of their birth or not, closeness and support are still important and family has a great influence on how they relate to the world. Don't expect strength of logic behind their actions. Empathy and unity are more likely.

Leo rising has a rectangular or squarish head.

Honor, integrity, courage, directness and honesty are the values of the balanced Leo rising person. The energy is that of one that wants to be recognized or dealt with. They can have a crude and loud approach (unless the humility of water or earth factors intervene) or a royal bearing, but they won't be ignored. The voice can be very appealing if soft or commanding if louder. Many are capable of great volumes that resonate from the chest, thus there are many actors and singers with this Ascendant sign.

The men tend to baldness. The eyes are often large or bulging, but can be especially attractive and magnetic. The eyes are more often widely-spaced than with any other sign. There can be a barrel chest with men and large bust with many of the women, but whatever the details, there is a strong, commanding presence or a statuesque look about them, whether slender or bulky. The frame is often large and the body sturdy, even blocky, but some are taller and more athletic. Some are swaybacked as if pushing out the chest with pride. With many there is an emphasis on upper body while the legs are skinny and knees knobby. They know they can be somebody, but some may stretch too hard in their ambition. They are natural leaders that radiate vitality and magnanimity.

Virgo rising has a tapering head that is sometimes clearly v-shaped. The cranium is large, if only at the occipital area, and the forehead may be higher than normal, but the head narrows to a small mouth with modest lips. Often the mouth is too small for all the adult teeth to properly erupt.

Their energy is introverted, at least early in life, but alternating like other mutable signs, so the voice tends to be soft rather than loud or sharp (unless fire/air factors alter this pattern) and can have a nasal quality. It is oriented towards smaller-scale matters of details, analysis, information, being good polishers or finishers of enterprises begun by others. It is critical with a keen eye to flaws and how to correct them. Many writers have this sign and it focuses one's cognitive awareness on processing within before communicating outwardly.

The chin may look chopped off short of a full triangle. The nose generally has a pinched bridge and is often straight and down-pointing. The eyes are closer together and smaller than most any Leo rising. They are short to tall, but generally have slender, even wiry bodies, at least when young. They are detail-oriented, health-oriented, conscientious, and want to get things right. These people are practical, but opportunistic. They can be physically susceptible and should take measures to maintain their health with exercise, diet, etc. Some have stronger constitutions and are gifted athletes. Their precision will show in their athletic approach. This rising sign is most likely to delay sexual involvement or marriage.

This a general stereotype and would typify more then early degrees with 1st decan. There are many variables and aspects that go towards our first impression image and mannerisms. I think 30 is about the ideal age as many change from childhood to adulthood. The rising is sign is frequently the Moon or Sun sign of a parent and can towards calculating the actual birth time along with many other factors.

Claire19

It's interesting you say libra rising has a way with machines. I always thought that was more of an aquarius thing but at the same time I don't have any aquarius in my chart and do feel some sort of connections with machines!
Thanks for that insight!

Libra has nothing to do with machines . We look at the planetary ruler of the chart and see where that is. i.e. Libra. We look at Venus. For machines Gemini and/or Mercury would be connected. Aquarius/Uranus is for gadgetry and vehicles. Very often motor bikes. Anything that gives a sense of freedom and being in the open air.

CapAquaPis

Cancer ASC people will have a strong moon, mine is stronger in conjunction with the sun in Aquarius at the 8th house. I have a double Aquarian character and highly lunar personality then with the dark bald spicy hint of Scorpio with a sign ruling Uranus placement in Scorpio squaring the Sun/Moon conjunction.

wan

I'm a Pisces ascendant, which most of the time I think is ok. However what I really dislike is the lack of energy. Especially physical energy. I really feel lazy and lethargic constantly, almost like I am 9-month pregnant and about to give birth, lol.

CapAquaPis

I'm a Pisces ascendant, which most of the time I think is ok. However what I really dislike is the lack of energy. Especially physical energy. I really feel lazy and lethargic constantly, almost like I am 9-month pregnant and about to give birth, lol.

Anything in the 12th house on your chart relating to past lives (we're you pregnant or gave birth as a mother in a previous life?) esp nodes (south is said to be the past and lesson, north is your mission and future), or if you knew your exact degree where your ASC is within the sign of Pisces relating to experiences of pregnancy and childbirth (or you had children in this life), I don't know much about you, I was a member here for over a decade with some friends I've made along the way. I read an earlier post you made a few mins ago on your ruler planet Neptune is in the 10th in Sagittarius, the planet well associated with procreation, pregnancy and family planning...close to the midheaven or MC interacts with your rising or ASC powerfully, and has been wading through your 12th house (or has crossed the ASC into the 1st by now - a stronger result after a Neptunian transit past rising) since 2011-12, and it will remain in this sign until 2025-26.

Last edited:

Humanitarian

This a general stereotype and would typify more then early degrees with 1st decan. There are many variables and aspects that go towards our first impression image and mannerisms. I think 30 is about the ideal age as many change from childhood to adulthood. The rising is sign is frequently the Moon or Sun sign of a parent and can towards calculating the actual birth time along with many other factors.
The ascendant and the look also varies depend on the degree and minutes of the ascendant also!

JUPITERASC

It's interesting you say libra rising has a way with machines.
The image of the Scales is masculine, diurnal.
It indicates crafts....
Depending on the placement of the houseruler,
men born under the influence of Libra are
supervisors of measures, crafts...

Domicile of Venus, exaltation of Saturn, depression of Sun

The first 6° belong to Saturn - destructive, grief from loved ones, reductions of wealth
The next 8° belong to Mercury - versatile, fertile
The next 7° belong to Jupiter - allotments, inheritances, gifts of land
The next 7° belong to Venus - good fortune, kind, musical, clean
The final 2° belong to Mars - strength, leadership, abundance

Bibliography:

Ludwich, A. (Ed.). (1877). Maximi et Ammonis carminum De actionum auspiciis reliquiae:
accedunt Anecdota astrologica. BG Teubneri.

Retrieved from https://archive.org/details/maximietammonisc00ludw/page/n3
Manilius, & Goold, G. P. (1985). Astronomica. BG Teubner.
Robbins, F. E. (1940). Ptolemy: Tetrabiblos. William Heinmann, London.

Retrieved from http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Ptolemy/Tetrabiblos/home.html
Schmidt, R. The Astrological Record of the Early Greek Sages. Project Hindsight.
Valens, V. Anthologia. Translated by Mark Riley.

Retrieved from https://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/Vettius Valens entire.pdf
I always thought that was more of an aquarius thing

but at the same time I don't have any aquarius in my chart

and do feel some sort of connections with machines!
Thanks for that insight!
The image of the Water-Pourer is masculine, diurnal.
It indicates crafts....
Depending on the placement of the houseruler
men born under the influence of Aquarius are craftsmen...

Domicile of Saturn

The first 7° belong to Mercury - mastery, lovers of wisdom
The next 6° belong to Venus - friendships with great women
The next 7° belong to Jupiter - notable, some are winners of games
The next 5° belong to Mars - lawsuits, injuries, some die violent deaths
The final 5° belong to Saturn - education, grief in youth

Bibliography :)
Ludwich, A. (Ed.). (1877). Maximi et Ammonis carminum
De actionum auspiciis reliquiae: accedunt Anecdota astrologica. BG Teubneri.
Retrieved from
https://archive.org/details/maximietammonisc00ludw/page/n3
Manilius, & Goold, G. P. (1985). Astronomica. BG Teubner.
Robbins, F. E. (1940). Ptolemy: Tetrabiblos. William Heinmann, London.

Retrieved from http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Ptolemy/Tetrabiblos/home.html
Schmidt, R. The Astrological Record of the Early Greek Sages. Project Hindsight.
Valens, V. Anthologia. Translated by Mark Riley.

Retrieved from https://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/Vettius Valens entire.pdf

Humanitarian

Going back to the family subject, Do your parent's Ascendant affect your physical appearance? I mean astrology aside our parents obviously have an affect on how we look. I'm curious to know other's opinions.
My father said that he was born in the afternoon, and possibly he has either a tropical Scorpio Rising or Sag Rising, and either a sidereal Libra Rising or Scorpio Rising, and my mother has a tropical Aquarius Rising and a sidereal Capricorn Rising. My maternal grandmother has a tropical Cancer Rising and a sidereal Gemini Rising, and my maternal grandfather has a tropical Scorpio rising, and a sidereal Scorpio rising, and I have a tropical Gemini rising, and a sidereal Taurus rising. I have my appearance more similar to my Asian mom with Aquarius rising, due to Uranus, her chart ruler in my chart being the most elevated planet in Pisces, and her traditional chart ruler (Saturn) is exalted in both my chart and her chart (I was born near her Saturn Return, so we both have Saturn in the same sign), and my dad's features are very Sagittarian, because he easily gain weight, he has an optimistic and he has a very good humour, he loves to go to many countries, and he has a very Jovial vibe, so I confirmed that his rising is in Sagittarius (Sagittarius risings are also very hairy and even muscular, too!). But, I don't inherit from him much because have the opposite rising sign with my father, and Asian genes are also more likely to be inherited than European genes because Asian genes are older and more robust. My mother does inherit a lot from my maternal grandfather whose has a Scorpio rising in both tropical and sidereal, so I think that his Scorpio rising has affected my appearance, too because I've inherited my mother's apperance, and she inherited her father's apperance. So, rising sign of parents can also affects you a LOT because you've inherited traits of either mother, father, grandparents or great-grandparents. [My rising is in a Uranus decan (inherited from mother), and it's in a Scorpio degree (inherited from maternal grandfather)]

Humanitarian

Last edited:

Humanitarian

I'm the opposite though, My dad's rising is my natal Sun, my mom's rising is my rising decan (Her rising is Aquarius, and my rising is in a Uranus decan), my mom's Moon is my MC, my dad's Sun is my IC