How much do orbs and degrees matter in synastry?

The19thLaw

I tried an experiment on Astro-Seek after making a synastry chart to only include orbs that were at most 1 degree between me and this one woman, these are the ones that came up:

Her Pluto trine my Mars

My Pluto conjunct her Mars (more at 1 degrees than zero)

Her Mars square my Venus

My Mars opposite her Venus

Our Jupiters were trine

Our Saturns were trine

My Node conjunct her Sun

Her Node conjunct my Neptune

Her Uranus trine my Lilith

My moon conjunct her Pluto

What is the significance of the orbs here being 1 degrees max compared to say 5 or 6 degrees?

Cary2

Banned
There are two ways to evaluate synastry. First, you might use the orb values that are widely accepted, and then you might score the chart by the pros and the cons of the aspects. This works, but love-struck natives often apply wishful thinking to the wide aspects. Being love-struck makes one unreliable as an astrologer.

There is another way that disregards all synastry aspects that are greater than one degree orb. The very close aspects do tend to dominate the synastry. If the closest aspects are discouraging, then the synastry is discouraging by that theory.

A good book that shows the first method is When Planets Promise Love by Rose Murray. A good book that shows the second method is Astrological Compatibility by Lynne Palmer.

Last edited:

The19thLaw

There are two ways to evaluate synastry. First, you might use the orb values that are widely accepted, and then you might score the chart by the pros and the cons of the aspects. This works, but love-struck natives often apply wishful thinking to the wide aspects. Being love-struck makes one unreliable as an astrologer.

There is another way that disregards all synastry aspects that are greater than one degree orb. The very close aspects do tend to dominate the synastry. If the closest aspects are discouraging, then the synastry is discouraging by that theory.

A good book that shows the first method is When Planets Promise Love by Rose Murray. A good book that shows the second method is Astrological Compatibility by Lynne Palmer.

So what can you make of the close aspects I listed above?

Cary2

Banned
I tried an experiment on Astro-Seek after making a synastry chart to only include orbs that were at most 1 degree between me and this one woman, these are the ones that came up:

Her Pluto trine my Mars

My Pluto conjunct her Mars (more at 1 degrees than zero)

Her Mars square my Venus

My Mars opposite her Venus

Our Jupiters were trine

Our Saturns were trine

My Node conjunct her Sun

Her Node conjunct my Neptune

Her Uranus trine my Lilith

My moon conjunct her Pluto

What is the significance of the orbs here being 1 degrees max compared to say 5 or 6 degrees?

The synastry is problematic, but if you don't care if the relationship is not peaceful, perhaps you will find a way to enjoy it.

The harmonious aspects are not without value, but they are between planets that are not central to romance or relating. Your Jupiters are trine and your Saturns are trine, but that is not a critical contribution to marital bliss.

The Mars/Venus aspects are certainly passionate and central to romance, but they suggest serious problems. There is strong attraction between you and your love interest and sexual passion, but there may be little compatibility, and the relationship may be troubled by jealousy and insensitivity.

Pluto conjunct Mars is a dangerous synastry aspect. Two determined wills that tend toward ruthlessness will square off in this relationship.

This is based on the several close aspects. I have not seen the rest. The strong Venus/Mars component is passionate and romantic, and that will make it very difficult to make a cool assessment.

Cary2

Banned
The astrology site, cafeastrology.com, has a good synastry guide with a scoring method that is quite valuable.

The19thLaw

I don't trust astrology cafe too much lol, it's BS IMO, I find Astro Dienst and Astro Seek more reliable.

Also, just googled

Mars-Pluto contacts in synastry show an overwhelming passion, intensified sexuality, lust, and competitiveness between a couple. Assertiveness and power are likely to be significant themes with this combination, but there is also this crazy, wonderful sexual magnetism. Imagine the drama, intense heat and blazing theatrical scenes when these two form a union. Pluto is fiercely proud and Mars is independent, and neither will tolerate control, and the power struggles begin.

http://theastrologyplacemembership.com/2012/01/mars-pluto-synastry/

cptnspacebug

oooohhhh i like you! i count orbs of 0 and 1 degree. anything else higher has to be really impressive and never above 3. and i am one of the love struck idiots you were talking about lol!
the frequency of orbs that low seem rare enough to be significant. or its just math. i dont know. but happy to see someone else is a little strict about this. i see 8 or 9 degrees and i just cant even bother with it.

The19thLaw

oooohhhh i like you! i count orbs of 0 and 1 degree. anything else higher has to be really impressive and never above 3. and i am one of the love struck idiots you were talking about lol!
the frequency of orbs that low seem rare enough to be significant. or its just math. i dont know. but happy to see someone else is a little strict about this. i see 8 or 9 degrees and i just cant even bother with it.

Same here, I think anything above 3 degrees is a waste of time, even if it is a sun-moon aspect.

comdoc

"Mars-Pluto contacts in synastry show an overwhelming passion, intensified sexuality, lust, and competitiveness between a couple. Assertiveness and power are likely to be significant themes with this combination, but there is also this crazy, wonderful sexual magnetism. Imagine the drama, intense heat and blazing theatrical scenes when these two form a union. Pluto is fiercely proud and Mars is independent, and neither will tolerate control, and the power struggles begin."

My first wife's Pluto is exactly conjunct my Mars. Crazy wonderful sexual magnetism, overwhelming passion, intensified sexuality, lust all fit well. There is no competitiveness nor power struggles between us. Control was never an issue for either of us.

The19thLaw

"Mars-Pluto contacts in synastry show an overwhelming passion, intensified sexuality, lust, and competitiveness between a couple. Assertiveness and power are likely to be significant themes with this combination, but there is also this crazy, wonderful sexual magnetism. Imagine the drama, intense heat and blazing theatrical scenes when these two form a union. Pluto is fiercely proud and Mars is independent, and neither will tolerate control, and the power struggles begin."

My first wife's Pluto is exactly conjunct my Mars. Crazy wonderful sexual magnetism, overwhelming passion, intensified sexuality, lust all fit well. There is no competitiveness nor power struggles between us. Control was never an issue for either of us.

Whoever I have had this contact with, we had an amazing attraction to each other.

ldrew417

Same here, I think anything above 3 degrees is a waste of time, even if it is a sun-moon aspect.

My partner and my synastry chart has eight listed aspects at 0 degrees, ten aspects at 1 degrees, four aspects at 2 degrees, five aspects at 3 degrees, and two aspects at 4 degrees. Is this normal? Thank you!

Osamenor

Staff member
My partner and my synastry chart has eight listed aspects at 0 degrees, ten aspects at 1 degrees, four aspects at 2 degrees, five aspects at 3 degrees, and two aspects at 4 degrees. Is this normal? Thank you!

Every synastry has aspects at varying orbs. How wide an orb of aspect gets listed depends on the program you use.

How wide an orb an aspect can have and still be counted as an aspect is a matter of opinion. As you can see from this discussion, opinions vary.

If you're one of the astrologers who believes that only very narrow orbs count, then all you have to do is ignore the wider orb aspects. Just because a software program counts them doesn't mean you have to.

IleneK

Premium Member
I would add that aspect by sign, without regard for degree, also is useful in synastry.
For example, if you have a Sun Moon trine by sign, that is noteworthy even if they are not in orb of each other.

ldrew417

Every synastry has aspects at varying orbs. How wide an orb of aspect gets listed depends on the program you use.

How wide an orb an aspect can have and still be counted as an aspect is a matter of opinion. As you can see from this discussion, opinions vary.

If you're one of the astrologers who believes that only very narrow orbs count, then all you have to do is ignore the wider orb aspects. Just because a software program counts them doesn't mean you have to.
Very helpful! Thank you!

michaelyoung

Tighter orbs, like your 1-degree synastry aspects, suggest a more potent and concentrated energy exchange compared to looser orbs, where the effects might be milder or more subtle. Your chart, showcasing intense planetary connections like Pluto-Mars conjunctions and Venus-Mars clashes, hints at charged passion, power dynamics, and potential transformation, amplified by the rare closeness. However, remember, interpretation goes beyond orbs alone; consider the planets involved, house placements, and overall chart balance for a nuanced understanding of this dynamic relationship.