Is the Ruler of 2020 the sun and why?

davibp04

I've read in many websites that the Ruler of 2020 is the sun, but when I saw the chart for both the midnight of Jan 01 and the solar return to Aries 0 degrees I only saw a much stronger Saturn influence. I would definitely say Saturn is the Ruler of the Year, if there is such a thing.
Can anyone please elucidate where these affirmations are coming from and how these rulers of the year are defined?
Thanks and best regards from Brazil,
Davi

AJ Astrology

I've read in many websites that the Ruler of 2020 is the sun, but when I saw the chart for both the midnight of Jan 01 and the solar return to Aries 0 degrees I only saw a much stronger Saturn influence. I would definitely say Saturn is the Ruler of the Year, if there is such a thing.
Can anyone please elucidate where these affirmations are coming from and how these rulers of the year are defined?
Thanks and best regards from Brazil,
Davi

Hi davibp04,

That's a good question.

I suppose the context is important.

In the context of earthly matters, there is an operative chart scheme. That begins with a grand conjunction, which is a joining of Jupiter and Saturn in Aries and that last happened on or about May 21, 1702 at 6 degrees of Aries.

The next grand conjunction will be in the year 2487.

The next chart in the scheme is the great conjunction, also a joining of Jupiter and Saturn, but it can occur in any sign and not strictly Aries. The last great conjunction occurred at 22 degrees Taurus on or about May 28, 2000.

The next great conjunction will occur on or about October 31, 2040 at 17 degrees Libra.

The third chart in the scheme is the great malefic, a joining of Mars and Saturn and it occurred on or about May 25, 2004 at 11 degrees Cancer.

The next great malefic will occur June 26, 2034 at 22 degrees Cancer.

The final chart in the scheme is the Aries Ingress Chart.

Each of those three charts has a chart ruler, and you're supposed to look at the aspects the those chart rulers make in the Aries Ingress Chart, if any.

How do you identify the chart ruler?

That's a bit complicated, because there are a number of methods.

One method, and this is the method I often use in natal charts, is to look at the next sign from Moon.

Moon in Aquarius so the next sign is Pisces, which makes Jupiter the chart ruler.

Note that Mars and Jupiter are joined at 22 degrees Capricorn.

Whether you're in the US or Rio do Ouro, that's in H7 which does not bode well.

Others hold that Moon's ruler is the chart ruler, or in this case since Moon is in Aquarius, it would be Saturn.

Another claim is the sect ruler's term ruler. This chart is diurnal, so Sun is sect ruler meaning Jupiter is chart ruler. That's not making a lot of sense to me, because Sun at Aries ingress will always be in the term of Jupiter, so I discount that theory.

Another theory is the body that has the most favorable position in the chart by sign, or term or both. I dismiss that too, since Sun could never be chart ruler since is always in Aries, even though Sun is exalted in Aries.

The last method I know is simply a judgment call, looking at the best situated body.

Moon is void of course, slow and in H8 and out of sect, so that's a no vote.

Mercury is in H9, Pisces, slow and ruled by a Jupiter in fall, so no for him.

Venus is in Taurus H11, but in Jupiter's terms and Jupiter is very bad in this chart, so no.

Mars is angular in H7 and in his sign of exaltation, though not quite exalted. He's a candidate.

Sun is angular in H10, but in the term of a distressed Jupiter, so not him.

Jupiter is just pathetic. In fall, angular in H7, besieged by Mars and Saturn and his joined to Mars and with Saturn, plus he's in the term of Saturn, so no, not him.

Saturn is angular H7, in Capricorn, about to be joined by Mars and with Jupiter and in the term of Mars.

So, the method I use says Jupiter which is a distressing thought for the whole world, but if you rely on strength it's a toss-up between Mars and Saturn.

If I had to make a judgment, I'd say Mars.

This chart is just terrible overall.

I'd expect some serious conflict somewhere in the world.

Note that Mars and Jupiter are joined at 22 Capricorn which exactly trines Jupiter/Saturn at 22 degrees Taurus in the great conjunction of 2000.

Pay attention to December 2020. If anything is going to happen, that's most likely when.

davibp04

Hi AJ,
Wow, thank you so much, this is so ellucidative! I can tell you are very experienced and I appreciate you taking the time to teach me and share your knowledge!

I'm still wondering why are so many people saying that the Sun is the ruler of 2020, is that just charlatanism to generate views in news sites?
I've even saw some serious astrologists saying that they agreed with that, and that the international Astrological community had decided upon it, so I was very confused...

I agree and identify 100% more with your analysis, I would definitely say Mars or Saturn have a much higher claim to a 2020 Ruler title, than the Sun.

The beggining events of the Year corroborate with your Mars reading, considering the first few days we had all the political turmoil between US and Middle-East, global economical challenges and now Coronavirus.

Again, I appreciate your comments and attention!

Thanks and best regards!
Davi - Sao Paulo, Brazil

AJ Astrology

I'm still wondering why are so many people saying that the Sun is the ruler of 2020, is that just charlatanism to generate views in news sites?

Hi davibp04,

I think you're right. The internet is all about click-bait for advertising revenue, so the more hits your site gets, the more money you get. They sensationalize everything for that purpose.

I've even saw some serious astrologists saying that they agreed with that, and that the international Astrological community had decided upon it, so I was very confused...

The Arabic and Persian astrologers employed a point scoring scheme to determine the chart ruler, which just doesn't work, but many rely on it. You give so many points for a body being in its own sign, face or term, or exaltation or angular, and then you subtract points for certain things. The fact that Sun is in H10 doesn't automatically make it the chart ruler any more than Jupiter being in the H10 of any chart makes him the chart ruler.

For older authorities, if the chart ruler is afflicted or in a bad condition, it just means the year doesn't go very well. The modern astrologers tend to over-emphasize the positive and seek confirmation bias for that, while ignoring the negatives.

A Medieval astrologer, Bonatti had a convoluted method that I just don't see working. He says take the Ascendant ruler, but only if the Ascendant ruler is in H1, direct and not combust. He says the chart ruler can't be retrograde or combust, but that's just silly.

If the Ascendant ruler isn't in H1, then he says take the body that is the rising sign's exaltation ruler, if there is one and again that body has to be in H1 not retrograde and not combust.

Failing that, he says take the sign ruler of the sect ruler. That makes no sense either, because for a day chart, Sun is sect ruler so Mars would always be the chart ruler, assuming Mars is in H1 not retrograde and not combust.

Anyway, you can see why I reject a lot of the methods.

I agree and identify 100% more with your analysis, I would definitely say Mars or Saturn have a much higher claim to a 2020 Ruler title, than the Sun.

The beggining events of the Year corroborate with your Mars reading, considering the first few days we had all the political turmoil between US and Middle-East, global economical challenges and now Coronavirus.

When I said conflict, I meant turmoil but not necessarily war.

For war we look at the signs, specifically the humans signs: Gemini, Virgo, Libra, Aquarius and the first 1/3rd of Sagittarius.

If we revisit the Aries Ingress for 2001 and 9-11, we see Jupiter in a human sign Gemini/H8. Jupiter is malefic in H8 and often indicates war in a mundane chart or violence in solar return chart. The operative chart was the Great Malefic of 1976 which had Mars/Saturn in H1. Gemini is H12 in that chart. The Great Conjunction of 2000 has Jupiter/Saturn falling in the Taurus H7 of the ingress chart. That's how you look at them together. I'm not saying anyone could have predicted it, only that the indicators for some earth-shattering event were there.

I don't see this Aries ingress as an indicator of war, but like you said, global economic strife, the coronavirus and other issues might arise.

davibp04

Hi AJ, Thank you very much for your thoughts, I found it all very interesting and instructive!
I feel like the smallest fish in the ocean here, thanks for sharing all that context and knowledge!
I'll keep an eye in 2020 and see how it goes, hopefully we'll manage to have a good year, that's what I wish to us all and to you!
Thanks and Best regards!
Davi

AJ Astrology

I'll keep an eye in 2020 and see how it goes,...Davi

Hi davipb04,

That's the best way to learn whether it's mundane or natal charts with directions and profections and transits. See what actually happened and then learn from that.

To get back to your original question, I think Saturn or Mars would be good candidates as the chart ruler, and don't forget that many astrologers have a particular bias toward the US while ignoring the rest of the world.

There are 195 other countries out there.

This is an election year in the US and since Sun represents kings, heads-of-state, rulers, leaders etc, I'm thinking they seized on that to justify Sun as chart ruler.

Sun-Election Year-President that kind of thing.

Anyway, I'm with you, we'll watch 2020 and figure it out later.

AJ Astrology

Ah, how careless of me.

Here are two ways of looking at it, one with the Grand Conjunction in the center:

attachment.php

and one with Aries Ingress Center

attachment.php

It's kind of messy, but you learn how to look at them after a while.

If you look at the second with Aries Ingress in center you see H7 and Mars joined exactly to Jupiter with Saturn and then in the Great Conjunction Mars is with them, too.

Virgo is a human sign, and often indicates human conflicts, like military action or war.

Mars/Jupiter are exactly trine Jupiter/Saturn in the Great Conjunction 2000 in H11 Taurus.

Taurus is an earth sign, among things.

Note 3 Gemini Suns all in H12. I'm not really sure what to make of that.

Moon typically represents the people, or women. In the Aries Ingress, it's ominously posited in Aquarius H8 (a human sign).

The Great Malefics are joined in the Cancer H1.

If you look at it from the Grand Conjunction 1702 it doesn't look as bad. You have a human sign on the Ascendant (Libra) and Sun in Aries H7.

Still the Great Malefics are up elevated in H10.

I forgot to mention the Great Malefics are always joined in Cancer, which is the fall of Mars (exaltation Capricorn) and the sign opposing Saturn's house Capricorn.

Note Sun in H7 joined with Jupiter/Saturn. Some people give Sun an orb of 12 degrees, I don't, but I do give Sun and Moon 8 and 6 degrees for orbs, so they are joined.

But, don't be fooled, because Mars/Jupiter with Saturn in Virgo H4 are trining Jupiter/Saturn in Taurus H8.

H4 and H8 are related to death/dying.

Like I said, it doesn't bode well.

Anyway, I hope this gives you some idea how all the charts work together.

Attachments

• GC Center.jpg
    GC Center.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 99
  • AI Center.jpg
    AI Center.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 110

dr. farr

Personally I have long given up using ingress charts, and instead use the winter solstice chart to evaluate trends for the forthcoming year-I have found this method to work with much accuracy.

JUPITERASC

Personally I have long given up using ingress charts, and instead

use the winter solstice chart to evaluate trends for the forthcoming year
-I have found this method to work with much accuracy.
did you previously opt for Sidereal Ingress charts? :smile: