Elevated and pitted degrees

Bunraku

But does it work in practical applications for you? That's what matters at least.

A lot of these things we take for granted, apparently. It feels like I'll be stuck trying to figure these things out before I actually get to do anything with it. :lol:

conspiracy theorist

I've delineated with houses, with decent effect and without prior knowledge on the life of the person who I am reading for, so it's not like I don't have some observations of these things working. I've mentioned before that I began reading charts as an exercise to see if I should bother with the whole thing, or drop it and never look back.

I tend to take a stance where I apply to prove, while I can appreciate the theoretical underpinning of why x person does y. The sanctimonious infallibility that some like to dress themselves in falls apart when you encounter situations that contradict perfectly what they say. Is why I keep an eye out for at least some application to see if their beautiful reasons hold up when the rubber hits the road.

JUPITERASC

Does a planet in 58th minute of a degree influence the planet like the 1st minute of the next degree? I have Venus in 11 deg 58 Sag and 11 is pitted, but 12 is elevated

Humanitarian

I think my natal Venus is a pitted degree is the reason why I don't believe that Venus is really a benefic in my life at all, she doesm't do anything good to me, only Jupiter does that... But with an elevated Sun and Moon, it's just so fortunate to have

Last edited:

IRIS70

Ηi,:)
I have Saturn in fall in Aries and Venus in detriment in Aries too and they are conjunct at 23rd degree.

I understand that both are debilitated, but being at 23rd degree makes them pitted too. According to @dr. farr, planets in the pits mean that their influence is limited, inhibited, and tend toward NEUTRALITY, being neither particularly "good" NOR bad particularly. What does this mean for me having them in Detriment too? That their debility becomes neutral, or that they have little effect when they are in transit, or get a transit by another planet?
I can tell that transits from Saturn have had a very strong and relatively negative impact to me, when aspecting personal planets like my n Moon/Sun, or an angle. So I do not consider Saturn's influence any weak. When it comes to Venus, the truth is that I cannot recall anything significantly positive happening to me with Venus transits. I do consider Venus a weak influence.

Can someone explain this to me?

Another question: What if either my Saturn, or Venus is the LoY in Profections? Again, with Saturn as the LoY the years were significant and I had a lesson to learn on hard work and discipline. With Venus as the LoY I have not experienced anything positive, I think.

What is your view?

StarchaserNancy

Never knew anything about this, but interesting. My Sun is apparently "elevated." It's in a hard aspect to an outer, but always thought of it as a positive, not a negative. Maybe this is why. I used it as a strength. Mars is, too, not sure about that one though, but expressed through career choice, maybe that's the elevation, instead of it "acting out" negatively?

IRIS70

Never knew anything about this, but interesting. My Sun is apparently "elevated." It's in a hard aspect to an outer, but always thought of it as a positive, not a negative. Maybe this is why. I used it as a strength. Mars is, too, not sure about that one though, but expressed through career choice, maybe that's the elevation, instead of it "acting out" negatively?
If I understood it well, it means that the elevated one is as if it is accidentally dignified, therefore very active when it transits, or gets significant transits by outers, bringing events, not necessarily better, or bringing fortune.

Humanitarian

If I understood it well, it means that the elevated one is as if it is accidentally dignified, therefore very active when it transits, or gets significant transits by outers, bringing events, not necessarily better, or bringing fortune.
I have both Sun and Moon elevated in exact aspect to each other in Sagittarius and Libra (respectively), and my Sun square Uranus is more positive for me than Moon square Nodes, which is pretty problematic for my life, because I need to leave my family to complete my Nodal mission

IRIS70

I have both Sun and Moon elevated in exact aspect to each other in Sagittarius and Libra (respectively), and my Sun square Uranus is more positive for me than Moon square Nodes, which is pretty problematic for my life, because I need to leave my family to complete my Nodal mission
Although irrelevant to the topic, Moon square the nodes is indeed very hard, I am sorry about it! :(
It may bring loneliness, you may be forced to rely on yourself, may face issues with mother, or expressing your emotions, may feel that you get little support from others, which may mean feeling isolated/estranged. You must learn to stop being so defensive and develop a backbone. Not everyone is out to get you or take advantage of your vulnerability.
However, your Moon can still be elevated and very reactive to transits it gets...

Humanitarian

My Moon is active when it gets important transits by the outer planets, and when transiting Pluto started to square my Moon, I was first bullied by another people in my class back then when I was in grade 5 of primary education...

DC80

It's probably best to avoid them.

I'm curious as to why people don't see a conflict between a star being in an elevated degree and simultaneously being in a void degree because that's not making a lot of sense. All those techniques are mangled or confused/blended or translated badly. It's sort of like the masculine and feminine degrees. That's all confounded and the original Greek authorities did it as the first 2.5° are masculine and the next 2.5° are feminine and so on and apparently that was only used in conception charts to predict the gender of the child and those techniques all fail. You could flip a coin and guess boy or girl and be more accurate.

So what you have is three different sets of degree charts. For the first set, remember that constellations are zodiacs but zodiacs are not constellations. They're images which is why tropical works for western and sideral works for Vedic and no we don't blend the two although I'm sure some people intent on deluding themselves and others will try.

For the first set of degrees what you have is the 1st and 2nd degrees of Taurus are in the horns; the 3rd, 4th, and 5th are in the face; the 6th and 7th in the neck; the 8th, 9th, and 10th in the forehead yada yada yada. That was used in medical astrology. I don't do that because I don't care and because the techniques are all muddled and confused and because everything you need to know is already in the natal chart. You look at the chart, it says stomach disorders, and you tell your client they may be prone to stomach disorders and to be attentive and monitor and talk to a doctor if they think there's a problem. If you want, you can profect the chart to the critical years/periods and have a look because it might be worthwhile for your client to pay more attention then.

The second set of degrees is the star in the right horn of Taurus is at one degree and then there's a star for the left horn of Taurus. In between the two stars is empty space. Where you have stars are full degrees and where there's none are empty degrees which ended up from bad translations as void or pitted or elevated degrees. Some mention them and some don't but nobody used them because they don't work and then Medievals starting fawning over them.

The third set are the critical degrees which is omen lore which has nothing to do with astrology and shouldn't be confused with astrology. These were based on stars that were in the zodiac but not part of the zodiac and often the stars were in constellations not within the Tropics meaning northern or southern constellations outside of 30°N/30°S. Because of precession those stars are everywhere now and some aren't even in the Tropics because they move vertically so they've moved from 28°N to 32° and are within another constellation.

The source of those is the Sphaera Barbarica written by Teukros of Byblos otherwise known as Teucer of Babylon. It's believed he copied them from an older source.

The problem is the Assyrians routed the Kassites (the biblical Kush) and Greeks came to the Assyrian court as astrologers, astronomers, mathematicians, policy-makers, administrators and probably court jesters and then a century later Greek are in Egypt as government administrators and then Philip and Alexander thought they were special and conquered the world.

As a Greek administrator in the Persian government it must have been awkward when Alexander's armies showed up. Alexander dies and his empire is divided among his 4 generals so you have Greek culture from Media/Persia (Iran) to Egypt and from the Balkans to the Levant.

So did this omen lore develop in Babylon and get transmitted to Egypt and then come back in a modified version to Babylon?

Did this omen lore develop in Egypt and get transmitted to Babylon?

Or did it develop separately in Egypt and Babylon and then get merged?

Fun times. Here's an actual quote:

Those who have the ascendant in the 20th degree of Taurus will be male prostitutes serving base desires. If it is the chart of a woman, she will be a public prostitute. If they have the ascendant in the 2 1 st degree, they will die from a lance wound. In the 22nd they will be hunchbacked clowns and die a violent death.

I don't like clowns but I like circuses and I've been around the world. I even saw a circus in Kuwait but I never seen any hunchback clowns. Have you?