Understanding the Cold Social Touch of Saturn

M

may28gemini

may28gemini: Someday soon I'm going to have to ask you about your Saturn/Jupiter conj. My wife has that placement as well and I want to know more about it. I'll have to start a thread on it. Also... probably for another thread as well... but what you've said about the IC is illuminating for me. I think I've neglected the IC in my past thinking, and certain people I've talked to on this site - Caprising immediately comes to mind - have really made me rethink the importance of the IC...

The IC is the core of the person, the nucleus, the primordial ooze, if you will. It's deeply personal, hidden; which represents midnight. It is the start of the day, in the dark, where no one really knows what goes. That's the IC and very few will ever truly get to know a person's IC... which is probably why it gets ignored.

I have talked about the Greatest Conjunction in some other threads but I don't mind. That's what the Ancient Greeks called Jupiter and Saturn conjunction. Jupiter is the Greater Benefic and Saturn is the Greater Malefic, and such a conjunction is truly the "Greatest" as it pairs up the 2 social planets together. This occurs once every 18-20 years and generally lasts a few weeks.

The most recent was sprinkled intermittently in 2000 in Taurus.

From roughly Nov 1980 to Sept 1981 the Greatest Conjunction was in Libra, of which I belong to. This was probably one of the longest and most consistent times that the Greatest Conjunction endured and it was the first time it was in Air since 1306 (yes, I actually calculated it and checked it to make sure). Actually, in 1306, the Greatest Conjunction was also in Libra. Anyway, all the Libra rising people born during that period are guaranteed to have Saturn and Jupiter in the 1st house. I've met 2 others who have a similar chart to mine on this forum.

Before that, the Greatest Conjunction was in Capricorn (which means that Saturn is in domicile and Jupiter is in fall) and that was in most of 1960.

In 1940 (early on during WWII), the Greatest Conjunction was in Taurus. And before that, it was in mostly Fire or Water.

Birch Dragon

1306?!?!?
My wife's Great Conjunction is in Libra too. Fifth house, though.
I'll do some digging to find earlier posts where you've talked about this...
:smile:

kailaniatsea

Saturn is definitely the weakest planet in my chart. By placement it's in Scorpio, which is an above average sign for the planet. Since Scorpio is fixed water (this would be represented by ice, which does have form and structure). Because of this Saturn likes Scorpio much better than it does the rest of the water signs and all the fire signs, since those signs are essentially formless.

By aspect is where it gets a bit trickier, as Saturn quincunxes my Mercury, my MC and POF and makes square series aspects with my sun and neptune.

I think those approaching aspects say a lot about the changes I have made in my life and mental state growing up.

Quincunxes do force you for constantly readapt yourself to changing circumstances both inside and outside. By nature a quincunx has a mutable quality (e.g. 1st-6th house). Saturn in Scorpio gives you the power to radically transform yourself (think from dumpster diver to CEO) if you let go and listen to your intuition (Scorpio) and thoughts (Mercury), which is something that neither the planet nor fixed sign does easily.

byjove

Account Closed
Sundance Kid,

I also wanted to interject into this general discussion that the perception of Saturn's influence, no matter what house it is in, is also dependent upon culture. Here is the US, Saturn's gifts are not celebrated in the popular culture. Shyness, the desire to have time by oneself, to shun the limelight, can draw comments of concern and that "something's wrong". (Think about how repeated comments like that to a young child can affect their self esteem and ability to love themselves.) The larger culture in the US promotes outgoing behaviors, sociability as much as possible, and celebrates being rich and famous, amongst other things. I've been to places where the latter behaviors are not seen as positively, where people value reserve, caution, and self-effacement and in such cultures Saturn's gifts are better appreciated.

Respectfully,
Drsendero

Yes! I agree, it's saddening to see in popular culture that anyone other than an extrovert is ...(here's that horrible word) 'anti-social'. Yuck. Such a lack of understanding, respect, tolerance in that word. I've met quieter people, I've met untrusting people, I don't think I've met anyone 'anti-social' in my life.

Is Saturn 'coldness' related to a desire to be self-reliant? Or is it rejection?

Last edited:

Drsendero

Is Saturn's coldness related to a desire for self-reliance or rejection? I'm thinking that Saturn's coldness can manifest in many ways beyond those two options depending upon its condition and other factors in the chart. So, I wouldn't say it's necessarily always either one of those two, and it could even be a combination in certain charts. One would need to examine the chart carefully to make a determination, rather than make a blanket statement for all situations.

Issues of culture are of great interest to me, both professionally and personally. I interact with people from other cultures almost every day at work and I've had some immersion experiences abroad (many times solo - there's that Saturn again - and in this case I see it as self-reliance more than rejecting anything). In any case, I'm consciously aware of how one's cultural perspective colors one's perception of the world and I'm increasingly aware of how astrological interpretations are strongly biased culturally, often so much so that what we read in modern Western English-language astrology wouldn't make sense in some other cultures or even in careful translation to other languages. What that means for astrological thought, translated over centuries from the languages of Babylon, Egypt, ancient Greece, Persia, etc. to contemporary languages is certainly a topic worthy of exploration. too. Of course, this is a whole new direction probably best reserved for its own thread.

Drsendero

M

may28gemini

Although cultural differences may do its part to encourage certain planetary energies to be expressed more often, culture does not effect astrology.

I don't care what culture people are from. Saturn in the 1st house/on the AC people across the board are just more withdrawn and solitary. Whether you think it's because people with strong Saturnine energy don't/can't love themselves or just shy, it doesn't matter. We're still going to be more distant just because that's Saturn's nature and we were born with that energy instilled in our personas, irrespective of the household we grew up in.

My granny has Aqua Saturn on the AC and she's solitary but she grew up during an extremely social time and environment (France). My granny grew up during WWII when the Nazis occupied France and although it was a time of not knowing who or what to trust and you never know if you'd live to see the next day, you had to rely on others and be extremely social to gain favors and survive. Despite all that, my granny has always been a solitary person and extremely independent.

I have Libra Saturn on the AC and I'm solitary despite being brought up in different places by different people and sent to boarding school. All my life I've been surrounded by a lot of people, and yet all I could really imagine after being around most of them is to escape and get away from them. People at their very core are liabilities and as much as I like socializing for a limited time, I don't want to take up more baggages. Whether you think I'm hateful or whatever, it doesn't matter. That's just how I am. I like my time alone because I don't get distressed by people's spillage.

spock

Once in a while, I read/hear an astrologer reference an inherant cold touch that stems from a Saturn placement. (I think this stretches to mundane also?) What is this about? What about Saturn cools social interaction? The kind I mean is avoiding or exiting social situations. I've heard about this with Moon, Venus, Sun-Saturn contact, I think the Lights and the three personal planets.

Years ago, I found a chart with a tight Venus-Saturn trine. Back then, I thought 'trine is good' and expected only positive results. This person proved very prudent with money (not 'tight-fisted' just prudent) and stable and steady in love. But the person ... had no interest in friendship. Watching potential friends try to connect with that person was like waiting for a response to a signal sent into space. This is just one example, I don't base it all on this.

Can anyone enlighten about the cold, social Saturn touch?
I can relate to this, since I've often wondered/been bothered by whether or to what extent I'm a "cold" person. [Birthdata: Nov. 2, 1945 at 12:55 am Central Standard Time, 88W06, 37N40, with the Nonagesimal (NG) about 3° Gemini, therefore the ASC about 3° Virgo.] The presumably relevant configurations are Mars conjunct Saturn, Venus square Saturn, and Mercury trine Saturn. Although I'm very friendly and will go out of my way to help people I've never made friends easily, am a loner, and in childhood was described as "slow to warm up". I'm still slow to warm up. I have to be around someone for weeks or months before I let my guard down enough to be comfortable, natural, and more or less spontaneous in their presence. So much of the time when I'm around people I feel like I'm standing back and observing, even to the point of observing myself interacting with others. There's also the fact that I like to read and ruminate, or just ruminate, which requires being alone or at least uninterrupted, so I do like being alone at least part of the time. But I think it's the acute self-consciousness and sense of always being an observer, even when I'm interacting with others, that acts as a buffer between them and me and accounts for people thinking I'm distant, cold, or even unfriendly until they get to know me. As one co-worker recently observed, "You never said anything until I hugged you, and then you started talking."

That's description but you asked for enlightenment, and at one level I can simply note that people with Mars conjunct Saturn, according to my current understanding and belief, tend to be introspective, self-conscious and inhibited, with much of the above being the experiential side of that. For a better understanding we need a better understanding of Saturn per se, in the context of astrology, and I think one of the best ways to get it is via developmental psychology. Age transits occur at the same age for everyone and developmental psychology, to a significant degree, is about what happens at what age, so the latter can be usefully viewed as research on age transits by members of a field which is more epistemologically advanced than our own. We would do well to incorporate their insights, even if not quite in the way that they might prefer.

The twin giants of cognitive developmental psychology are Jean Piaget and Lev Semyonovich Vygotsky, with the latter's ideas especially, even startlingly, relevant to astrology. Piaget posited a sensorimotor stage running from birth to (from our perspective) the first Mars Return at about 21 to 24 months, a preoperational stage that lasts until the Saturn square Saturn transit at 6-7, a concrete operational stage that runs until the first Jupiter Return at 11½-12, and a formal operational stage that begins at the Jupiter Return and continues into adulthood. (Lifespan developmental psychologists, most notably Daniel Levinson in Seasons of Man's Life and later in Seasons of a Woman's Life, have posited additional turning points beginning with a transition to adulthood at 18 to 22 (Uranus square natal Uranus), a transition to middle adulthood at 38 to 43-44 (Uranus opposite Uranus), a transition to late adulthood at 60 to 65 (Uranus square Uranus), and a more speculative transition to late, late adulthood in the early 80s (the Uranus Return), with briefer turning points at 28-29, 36-37, 43-44, 50, etc. coinciding with Saturn's hard-angle transits to its natal place.) Piaget's major stages end and begin at the first Mars Return, at Saturn opening square Saturn, and at the first Jupiter Return, suggesting that transitions from one stage to the next occur during those transits, but Piaget doesn't have much to say about the transitions per se. Vygotsky does. He posits an alternating series of relatively lengthy stable periods, which coincide with the periods between transits, and relatively brief critical periods, which coincide with the periods of transits. His stages include Crisis of the newborn; Infancy (two months to 1 year); Crisis at age one; Early childhood (1 to 3 years); Crisis at age three; Preschool age (3 to 7 years); Crisis at age seven; School age (8 to 12 years); Crisis at age thirteen; Age of puberty (14 to 18 years); and Crisis at age seventeen. (There are problems with the last three, but that need not concern us here.)

The crisis at age three, like the crisis at age one, doesn't last an entire year but might be better characterized as the crisis at the turn to age three, since it begins slightly before and ends not long after the third birthday. At that time the child develops the ability to have one thing stand for another. This is the birth of imagination, with a long stick or broom handle being the horse the young boy rides as he chases the bad guys. It's the birth of narrative, in which a series of actions are linked in the child's mind into a whole, going-to-the-store, for instance, or playing-with-Jamie, or taking-my-baby-to-see-the-doctor. It's the birth of will, because now the child can anticipate an activity and hold to that desire. The child at this age is often stubborn, refusing to change her mind even when it would be advantageous to do so. It's because she's learning to have a will, to not be deflected by others from what she wants from one moment to the next. The younger child doesn't have a will in this sense. She sees a ball she rolls or drops it. A door gets opened and closed. Each object she encounters evokes a response. Perception and motivation have not yet differentiated into separate psychological functions. This changes at the turn to age 3, when for the first time the child is able to decide what she wants to do, and the things she wants to do aren't simple actions but activities, as described above. Further developments along the same line occur at 6 and 9, with climactic developments, the full flowering of imagination and the development of what-if hypothesizing, occurring during the first Jupiter Return.

From not long (a couple of months or so?) before the 7th birthday and continuing until about 7½ or so the child develops a persona, a self-image she tries to live up to. Vygotsky notes that the child seems affected, even phoney at this age, and no wonder. This is his first crude attempt at projecting a self-image, something adults do with much greater skill and subtlety. We all wear a mask, the self we want to be and want to be seen as, but we adults are a lot less obvious about it. (We may even have a persona that says we don't have a persona, in which we're "just ourselves". Ahem.)

The preceding is context for Vygotsky's critique of Piaget's concept of egocentric speech, which enables us to sharpen the distinction between Jupiter and Saturn in the human psyche. In egocentric speech the child says things like: It go there. Push it. She like that. No, don't do that. The child is unable to get outside herself and put herself in the other person's shoes, so that she can anticipate what the other person needs to know in order to make sense of what she's saying. Piaget argued that between 2 and 7 egocentric speech gradually dies out and is replaced by social speech, in which the child is able to put herself in the other person's shoes when she's communicating. Vygotsky offered an alternate account of the genesis, function and fate of egocentric speech. He noted first of all that egocentric speech doesn't gradually die out between 2 and 7 but actually increases and becomes even more telescoped before it more or less abruptly disappears [when Saturn squares its natal place]. It also increases when the child is engaged in a particularly difficult task. Vygotsky argued that the child's speech doesn't become social but is social from the beginning. At the turn to age 3 it splits into two functions, the original, social speech-for-others and a new function, speech-for-oneself. The child who says things like: It go there. She wants it, and so forth isn't trying to communicate with someone else, although she doesn't yet realize it. She's talking her way through a difficult task by telling herself what to do. She's thinking out loud (the only way she know to do it, because talking to herself with words is a new function). As she grows older she does this more often, that is, thinks more, and her "egocentric speech" becomes even more telescoped because she doesn't need the verbal clues that an "outsider" needs to make sense of what she's saying. It doesn't need to be out loud, either, and at 7, as she finally clearly understands who she's talking to, herself, it goes underground and becomes Silent Speech, the speech in our heads that from that point on is perceived simply as thinking. It is only at that point that she can keep her thoughts to herself — she no longer "thinks" only out loud — and it's only at that point that she can lie to others (part of the process of maintaining a persona/public face/self-image).

From the preceding and from other considerations (can't put it all in one post) I believe that the psyche consists of a set of functions of different temporal wavelengths which match the periods of the planets (and Sun and Moon). Just as different wavelengths of light are experienced as different colors, different temporal wavelengths are experienced as different psychological functions. What Freud called the ego, Jung the persona, Maslow esteem needs and Erikson industry vs inferiority is simply a part of the psyche that comes to the forefront at 7⅓-year intervals, which we call the Saturn cycle. The 3-year intervals, in contrast, correspond to Freud's id and ourJupiter cycle, what we want to do rather than what we think we ought to do. These functions/periodicities interact with one another, not only predictively but also in a natal context. I don't think that the angular distances between the planets in the natal chart magically confer attributes. Rather, as I see it the natal chart is a time framework. Take Mars conjunct Saturn. Every time a person with this natal aspect has Mars conjoining, squaring, or opposing its natal place she simultaneously has Mars conjoining, squaring, or opposing natal Saturn. Every time she feels dissatisfaction with her daily routine (Mars/Mars), and the urge to do something about it, she also feels inhibited by the social consequences of her possible actions (Mars/Saturn), which limits or channels what she ends up doing. Bit by bit, transit by transit a propensity, a personality pattern, builds up. It doesn't mean every person with this aspect will characteristically behave the same way. If we posit, for instance, that a characteristic of this conjunction is fear of humiliation, of being made to look the fool, one person might be extraordinarily careful, crossing all her t's and dotting every i, while another might accomplish the same end by being evasive and hard to pin down. The same aspect doesn't necessarily predict the same external behavior, only the same underlying cause or challenge for whatever behavior is characteristic.

Return now to the notion of cold, social touch. There are different kinds of coldness which would therefore have different roots. The sociopath (I prefer psychopath but many people confuse that with psychotic, which is what we're referring to when we say someone is psycho) has weak emotions and never develops empathy or a conscience, and is therefore ruthless and totally out for number one. This person will be perceived as cold but I 'm not sure it has anything to do with Saturn. But a person who's perceived as cold, distant, standoffish might be someone with a Mars/Saturn aspect, or with some other Saturn aspect that has a different but similar effect. For the Mars/Saturn person I suspect that having her actions filtered through social consequence considerations — How will this make me look? How will people react if I say or do such and such? — might make her seem calculating and cold, even though she might be deeply empathetic, generous, kind, etc. And it might be that other Saturn aspects, for instance Moon/Saturn and perhaps especially Venus/Saturn, will seem cold in a related but not identical sense for related but not identical reasons. (See my article After Symbolism for further details on some of the issues raised here.)

kailaniatsea

Spock, that reminded me of sleepless nights taking psychology classes. You do bring up valid points. While I do not have an angular Saturn, it is heavily aspected (e.g. Sat conj. Jup; Sat squ. Mars; Sat squ. ASC and DC). Being that it is in Libra, social relations have been a thorn on my side. My ASC is Capricorn. I feel stronger when I am alone.

Being around others too often can feel like a battleground brewing, even when I avoid confrontation. It just is; familiarity breeds contempt. The problem with Saturn aspects is that it often brings the judgement of others (usually our family and those close to us) upon us like a microscope with ultraviolet light. One does not have the favor of Venus or Jupiter to make others more agreeable and laugh at our bad jokes, so to speak.

The crises that you mentioned during a person's life stages are only magnified with Saturn-like people. Saturn is karma and I felt like other relative's karma was dumped on me at an early age. That and we often have to learn the ropes on our own, while others may be helped and enabled. These factors can make the Saturn person "cold" and cutoff.

spock

Spock, that reminded me of sleepless nights taking psychology classes. You do bring up valid points. While I do not have an angular Saturn, it is heavily aspected (e.g. Sat conj. Jup; Sat squ. Mars; Sat squ. ASC and DC). Being that it is in Libra, social relations have been a thorn on my side. My ASC is Capricorn. I feel stronger when I am alone.
Saturn square the ASC-DC axis is angular the way I see things, while Saturn in the 1st, 4th, 7th, or 10th house isn't unless Saturn also happens to be in hard-angle aspect to the ASC-DC axis. For me the latter is just a roundabout way of saying Saturn is hard-angle the Nonagesimal, or NG, which is the point on the ecliptic closest to the birthplace at the moment of birth. It's where you are in the zodiac. The ASC and DC are simply the two aspect points that are, by definition, 90° from both the birthplace and the point on the ecliptic closest to the birthplace, i.e. the NG. I don't accept the validity of houses (or signs, for that matter), but the NG, which is to say you, can aspect and be aspected by Sun, Moon, Mercury, etc., etc. just like those factors can aspect and be aspected by one another.

Being around others too often can feel like a battleground brewing, even when I avoid confrontation. It just is; familiarity breeds contempt. The problem with Saturn aspects is that it often brings the judgement of others (usually our family and those close to us) upon us like a microscope with ultraviolet light. One does not have the favor of Venus or Jupiter to make others more agreeable and laugh at our bad jokes, so to speak.
I'd say the Mars-Saturn person is more specifically inhibited by the expectation of social consequences, or judgments, of one's actions. The Venus-Saturn person, on the other hand, fears material or emotional loss, and at one extreme will be extraordinarily careful at preserving possessions and will try very hard to be the kind of person nobody would want to reject, and at the other extreme will do without possessions and/or relationships, because you can't lose or have taken away what you don't have.

The crises that you mentioned during a person's life stages are only magnified with Saturn-like people. Saturn is karma and I felt like other relative's karma was dumped on me at an early age. That and we often have to learn the ropes on our own, while others may be helped and enabled. These factors can make the Saturn person "cold" and cutoff.
Saturn may well feel like karma, but in my opinion is simply the conscious self-image that we project and try to live up to, also known as our identity, persona, esteem needs, or ego. They're all in my opinion different words/conceptions referring to the same thing. Saturn transits might well stand out in the life of a person with such aspects, but will often be more positive than for less "Saturnine" people, who are less used to Saturn in a manner of speaking than are people with strong Saturn aspects. My first Saturn Return was one of the high points of my life. I moved cross country to another city, was invited to lecture at a regional conference thanks to the recommendation of a friend who had preceded me, and was the star of that conference, with two heavily attended lectures, thanks no doubt in large part to a handout I wrote, About Transit Analysis, that the conference organizers were kind enough to make available at the sign-in table. I also organized, after the conference, what turned out to be a very successful transit class thanks to the conference organizers providing me with a mailing list of attendees. Other Saturn age transits, such as the closing square at 21-22, also found me succeeding by dint of decisive actions taken in pursuit of clearly articulated goals. Saturn can be experienced as very trying, but also as very rewarding, albeit Saturn-timed success feels different from Jupiter-timed success. And yes, these factors, albeit not quite in identical ways, can cause a person to feel and/or be perceived as "cold" and cut off.

Last edited:

kailaniatsea

Saturn square the ASC-DC axis is angular the way I see things, while Saturn in the 1st, 4th, 7th, or 10th house isn't unless Saturn also happens to be in hard-angle aspect to the ASC-DC axis. For me the latter is just a roundabout way of saying Saturn is hard-angle the Nonagesimal, or NG, which is the point on the ecliptic closest to the birthplace at the moment of birth. It's where you are in the zodiac. The ASC and DC are simply the two aspect points that are, by definition, 90° from both the birthplace and the point on the ecliptic closest to the birthplace, i.e. the NG. I don't accept the validity of houses (or signs, for that matter), but the NG, which is to say you, can aspect and be aspected by Sun, Moon, Mercury, etc., etc. just like those factors can aspect and be aspected by one another.

This has helped me to focus more on the planet itself rather than the other flourishes such as signs and house placements, which helps to demystify some elements and focus on others. In my opinion, those other factors count for something, but in the end, it's the manifestation of the planet via aspect that provides the blueprint. We can have two Saturn rising people in different signs (e.g. Pisces and Taurus) and while they may go about being reserved in different ways, the end result is just the same.

I'd say the Mars-Saturn person is more specifically inhibited by the expectation of social consequences, or judgments, of one's actions. The Venus-Saturn person, on the other hand, fears material or emotional loss, and at one extreme will be extraordinarily careful at preserving possessions and will try very hard to be the kind of person nobody would want to reject, and at the other extreme will do without possessions and/or relationships, because you can't lose or have taken away what you don't have.

I can totally relate...

Saturn may well feel like karma, but in my opinion is simply the conscious self-image that we project and try to live up to, also known as our identity, persona, esteem needs, or ego.

You hit the nail on the head with this one. Since I have Saturn in Libra, I have always tried to be as agreeable as possible and made myself sick in the process (my Saturn squares). I believed that this was the way to make and keep friends and lovers. In the end, I came up short.

My first Saturn Return was one of the high points of my life. I moved cross country to another city, was invited to lecture at a regional conference thanks to the recommendation of a friend who had preceded me, and was the star of that conference, with two heavily attended lectures, thanks no doubt in large part to a handout I wrote, About Transit Analysis, that I wrote and that the conference organizers were kind enough to make available at the sign-in table. I also organized, after the conference, what turned out to be a very successful transit class thanks to the conference organizers providing me with a mailing list of attendees. Other Saturn age transits, such as the closing square at 21-22, also found me succeeding by dint of decisive actions taken in pursuit of clearly articulated goals. Saturn can be experienced as very trying, but also as very rewarding, albeit Saturn-timed success feels different from Jupiter-timed success. And yes, these factors, albeit not quite in identical ways, can cause a person to feel and/or be perceived as "cold" and cut off.

Congratulations and good for you! My first Saturn Return was not as successful, but it taught me everything that was WRONG in my life. To make a long story short, I realized that my life was a lie because all I did was please others (Libra ego attachment to others), suppress my real thoughts (fear of my own anger), let my friends pick me because I wasn't with the "in" crowd (internalized ostracism), and allow other people's input to dominate my consciousness (hoping to live up to their expectations to be accepted). Another painful realization was that my academic education may have further contributed to this (corrupt education). This wasn't to say I was a "yes woman", because I did rebel (natal Sun-Mercury square Uranus), but it was a strange passive-aggressive energy that was dysfunctional because I constantly punished myself as a means of trying to correct undesirable behavior. I was hospitalized during this time. Also, I survived my first natural disaster a few weeks after my Saturn Return, yay! All of this forced me to heal and be good to myself and reclaim my artistic spirit!

byjove

Account Closed
Spock, that's some intriguing research there. I haven't come across such blanket coverage of human development via the key, universal planetary transits.

Kailaniatsea, while I would tend to agree that many of us will have augmented Saturn transits if Saturn plays a big part in the natal chart, (it makes sense to me) the last transit that I had proved quite mild, TR Saturn opposite Sun, fitting with the Sun's remit as ruler of the second, money was tight for a while, that was about it.

Another part of this 'cold social touch' that has just cropped up I think is issue of trust, or more likely with challenging Saturn aspects, mistrust. Mistrust and cold social relations, I'm not sure which comes first, the chicken or the egg, but I see a compounding effect. Can anyone else relate?

The Venus square Saturn effects mentioned surprised me a bit, I have that one too and didn't think I was particularly troubled by material loss (maybe I am) and I didn't expect such a native to try to be congenial or fit in. If so, I really think that helps 'Saturnine' people though. I expected maybe some social unpopularity, perhaps finding it difficult to relax in company. The romantic implications, I can say delays and disappointments fits my experience.

spock

Spock, that's some intriguing research there. I haven't come across such blanket coverage of human development via the key, universal planetary transits.
Most astrologers aren't familiar with developmental psychology, and those who are don't easily see the kinds of developments covered by that discipline as being astrological in nature. Some astrologers have difficulty with the very notion of age transits. As one put it, "How can a planet aspect itself?" For him an astrological effect is by definition a mixture of energies. Others don't see as astrological normal developments that occur in everyone at a given age, because as astrologers they're attuned to that which is unique and individual, not ordinary and general. For others the events astrologers predict and the developments psychologists cover are different in kind. They don't see those developments as events, certainly not the kind astrologers predict. Because the 'events' developmental psychologists study don't fit within the current astrological paradigm, it's difficult for astrologers to realize that the subject matter of developmental psychology and of a particular class of transits, age transits, are one and the same.

Another part of this 'cold social touch' that has just cropped up I think is issue of trust, or more likely with challenging Saturn aspects, mistrust. Mistrust and cold social relations, I'm not sure which comes first, the chicken or the egg, but I see a compounding effect. Can anyone else relate?
I take that as a given. Fear of loss and lack of trust are different ways of saying essentially the same thing. I would say the lack of trust, the expectation of loss or abandonment, comes first. Two children with different aspects might have the same objective experiences but different subjective realities. If Mom sits down and plays with each for a few minutes, then gets up and goes about her business, one child thinks, my mother played with me, she loves me, the other thinks, my mother went away, she doesn't love me. The real world is of course more complex than this example. All too often the expectation of rejection in subtle ways brings about that outcome, a version of that which I have feared has come upon me. And the person who confidently expects to be liked tends to elicit that response.

The Venus square Saturn effects mentioned surprised me a bit, I have that one too and didn't think I was particularly troubled by material loss (maybe I am) and I didn't expect such a native to try to be congenial or fit in. If so, I really think that helps 'Saturnine' people though. I expected maybe some social unpopularity, perhaps finding it difficult to relax in company. The romantic implications, I can say delays and disappointments fits my experience.
I liked your thoughtful 'maybe I am'. In fact I reached that conclusion partly because I put great stock in the material found in Grant Lewi's Heaven Knows What and partly because I've observed patterns of behavior from which fear of loss or rejection can be inferred, not because people who have this aspect admit to being aware of such feelings. My experience is that people are generally not conscious of the psychological characteristics I infer based on my observations. That doesn't mean my inferences are necessarily correct, of course. I've changed my mind many times over the course of my astrological career, meaning I've decided many times that an earlier conclusion was mistaken. My astrological beliefs are as a result radically different from what they were when I first began pursuing astrology seriously in early 1972, with much of what I 'believed in' then being jettisoned along the way.