Understanding Leos and Leo energy.

waybread

BTW, one book I highly recommend for anyone hoping to master the essence of signs is Steven Forrest, The Inner Sky.

Rather than looking at signs as collections of static (and often unrelated) personality traits, Forrest talks about each sign as having a goal, or "end point." His is one of the few books that takes a dynamic approach to planets, signs, and houses. Each has a mode of operation that works well, along with potentially dysfunctional expressions.

Leo at its best is playful and generous. At its best, Leo is a natural leader, loyal and able to attract loyalty. Dysfunctional Leo becomes arrogant or bossy. Within limits, we have the capacity to focus on the empowering interpretations.

Cary2

Banned
For what it's worth, I know it's a bit off topic, but I feel like jumping in on defense of "Sun sign astrology":

Yes, the term may be equated with commercialized watered-down entertainment that gives Astrology a bad name.

But that has more to do with the media and its need to feed bite-sized bubblegum content to the average Joe and Jane.

Nevertheless, let's not overlook the fact that Sun signs are extremely important. I can guess most people's Sun sign with some interaction, and what does that tell you? The Sun represents the heart, the driving force.

So because people of the same Sun sign are not copies of each other doesn't mean Sun sign astrology is to be shamed or frowned upon.

The media, not serious astrologers, invented Sun-sign astrology. Early in the 20th century, Evangeline Adams moved to New York City to advance her astrological ambitions. She made a fantastic prediction that was plastered all over the headlines. This is before Sun-Sign astrology. Most people didn't know what astrology was because it had laid dormant for more than a century, but they understood what an accurate prediction meant.

The press was eager to capitalize on the buzz and the hype and they fashioned a oversimplified version that led to printing predictions called "horoscopes" in the newspaper. It was all the rage. The media had a hit on their hands. It bore no resemblance to the astrology practiced by Adams.

Adams acquired famous people as clients due to the publicity which further increased her fame and that of astrology.

If you really want to drastically simplify astrology, look to the Moon. It will have the appearance of better accuracy. Of course, it is the aspects and other contacts that write the story of a chart showing why everyone is so individual.

The19thLaw

I am not buying the whole perception that Scorpio energy is vindictive and scheming while Leos are happy go lucky. I think there is more to it than just joy and charisma that sun-sign astrology falsely portrays. As a matter of fact, I am going to say that there is more to the Sun than just happy go lucky ego arrogance.

You also misunderstand the idea of a king. On the surface, it is someone with a crown who puts on an act for the public. In private, it is a ruler who schemes to ruthlessly destroy all opposition in the most cruel of ways. The Sun gives life but it also scorches and destroys any that feel its wrath.

Mars is also a very overrated planet for "anger", it is elementary anger. Taurus might be ruled by Venus but guess what, it is also associated with Algol, the most VIOLENT star out there.

So no, I do not buy the happy go lucky garbage about Leos, please take that to a pop-astrology site.

Cary2

Banned
I agree with you more than you know. I wasn't aware I had portrayed Leos as happy-go-lucky. I merely spoke of the widely known facts about a few famous people who had more than a little Leo in their charts. If it sounded happy-go-lucky, I think that was out of my hands. My family abounds with Leo energy, and I'm not a big fan.

But I'm not likely to spend much time on signs alone. The real specific meat is in the contacts between factors. You may know that squares are difficult, but a square between Leo and Scorpio is a good candidate for the worst square. Well, a square between Aries and Cancer is also a good candidate.

Leos with nice aspects tend to be nice. Scorpios with nice aspects tend to be nice.

Last edited:

The19thLaw

I agree with you more than you know. I wasn't aware I had portrayed Leos as happy-go-lucky. I merely spoke of the widely known facts about a few famous people who had more than a little Leo in their charts. If it sounded happy-go-lucky, I think that was out of my hands. My family abounds with Leo energy, and I'm not a big fan.

But I'm not likely to spend much time on signs alone. The real specific meat is in the contacts between factors. You may know that squares are difficult, but a square between Leo and Scorpio is a good candidate for the worst square. Well, a square between Aries and Cancer is also a good candidate.

Leos with nice aspects tend to be nice. Scorpios with nice aspects tend to be nice.

The more I read about Scorpios online, the more I feel like it applies to Leos, especially the revenge and anger part. Scorpios are more bark than bite tbh.

waybread

I am not buying the whole perception that Scorpio energy is vindictive and scheming while Leos are happy go lucky. I think there is more to it than just joy and charisma that sun-sign astrology falsely portrays. As a matter of fact, I am going to say that there is more to the Sun than just happy go lucky ego arrogance.

Yes, of course there is more to it "than just happy go lucky ego arrogance." What have I been saying???

You also misunderstand the idea of a king. On the surface, it is someone with a crown who puts on an act for the public. In private, it is a ruler who schemes to ruthlessly destroy all opposition in the most cruel of ways. The Sun gives life but it also scorches and destroys any that feel its wrath.

You misunderstand the idea of a king. We're not talking about actual monarchs, but the metaphor of the self-actualizing person. Although if we did look at actual monarchs, we might look at the king of Thailand, or modern European monarchs like QE2 or the late Juliana of the Netherlands. Their role is primarily ceremonial and service-oriented. Yet they earned a lot of loyalty from the monarchists in their countries.

The sun in astrology is generally considered to be the vital life force; but in ancient Babylon it was seen as having a more malefic side, probably due to their extreme summer heat.

Mars is also a very overrated planet for "anger", it is elementary anger. Taurus might be ruled by Venus but guess what, it is also associated with Algol, the most VIOLENT star out there.

Mars rules anger, pure and simple. We need to distinguish between constellations and their fixed stars with signs. The tropical signs do not coincide with the constellations for which they were named. Algol is actually in the constellation Perseus. By declination (nearly 41 degrees) it is considerably off the ecliptic.

So no, I do not buy the happy go lucky garbage about Leos, please take that to a pop-astrology site.

Take it there yourself. Because if you are unwilling to look beyond sun-signs to study astrology in all of its complexity, that's where you'll stay.

waybread

The more I read about Scorpios online, the more I feel like it applies to Leos, especially the revenge and anger part. Scorpios are more bark than bite tbh.

What about moon signs? Rising signs? You can't just go by the sun signs of the handful of people you know personally.

Someone with the sun in Leo could easily have the moon and/or ascendant in Scorpio, or sun square Mars.

Cary2 is absolutely correct about the importance of aspects.

The19thLaw

Then it becomes more general than just the specific sign.

Mars in fixed sign? Holds a grudge.

Aspects with fixed signs? Holds on to things.

ElenaJ

There are four fixed signs, and mars in any one of these is so different from the others.
Aquarius mars holding a grudge? Leo mars holding a grudge?
Not unless the chart has other aspects with planets that lead to this.
When you say holding on to things, not sure if you mean emotionally.
A taurus mars either trine or square to Uranus are such different manifestations of energy.
Just as a fixed taurus mars in trine with Neptune in virgo or trine Neptune in Capricorn are so different.
Fixed in general lends stability, it gives conviction and can give an iron will. It doesn't necessarily mean stubbornness or resistance.
Mars is anger, but also a whole range of qualities, that can be expressed in both negative and positive ways.
Holding on to anger as a grudge could also be a Saturn aspect, even in cardinal signs.
And this is all added to the personal maturity, as well as probably the age of the individual.
A teenager and a seventy-year-old can have very different ways of living their charts, especially when the wisdom of experience is brought into the picture.

Lion o ness

I am a 4x Leo all personal planets. Sun,moon,mercury,mars.

The stereo type Leo doesnt describe me. As a matter of factit bugs me sometimes when i read about Leo. Sometimes when i answer post, i have been accused of ‘seeking attention’ which is soo wrong. I reply and give my opinion just as anyone else does.

Anyways of course other aspects can modify planets. Which is why no 2 leos or any other sign are the same.

Sure as a leo i meed attention, but its not really in the way that people assume. It MUST be genuine., heartfelt attention. For me i dont need to stand in the middle of the room with all eyes on me. Thats embrassing for me.

There are alot of introvert leos and even though i have 4 planets in leo, im severely an introvert. I do need to succeed in business and have goals. But isnt that majority of us?

Ues leo needs special attention, but only genuine attention is what i seek. One on one. Luv me for me as i am.

Shrug im not sure how describe the energy.
Now my son is a leo asc hes more of the Stereo type lol. Go fiqure right

ElenaJ

In fact, lion o ness, there were several comments about this. We have to take into account the entire chart, not just a sun sign. Your son has his Leo on the ascendent out there for the world to see, you apparently have a different way of presenting yourself to the world, a different ascendent. Those who get to know you more intimately will come in contact with the Leo traits.

CapAquaPis

If you're an Aquarius like I am, Leos are my opposite and anyone I knew with a Leo sun, moon or rising means I will not have the closest friendship with them, they are literal personality opposites or the least compatible people in my life.

Lion o ness

If you're an Aquarius like I am, Leos are my opposite and anyone I knew with a Leo sun, moon or rising means I will not have the closest friendship with them, they are literal personality opposites or the least compatible people in my life.

Some of my closest friends are aqua mars.

I have a hard time with cap energy, however my NN is in cap, so i attract csps planets like crazy

ElenaJ

My asc is pisces

So your Leo qualities reach us (the world outside yourself) through a pisces filter. When I meet you I see soft, mellow, dreamy, feminine, non-aggressive and slightly undecided, willowy pisces. And then little by little as I get to know you, and you get to trust me, the Leo seeps through. Is this the case?

Snuffy

A factor that I don't see mentioned here that is worth considering is that from 1939 to 1956 Pluto was in Leo, and Pluto tends to give its own strong color to a sign it inhabits for a long time. People with charts that have strong Leo factors born during that period are going to seem more intense, more dominating, more resentful, vengeful, etc, because of Pluto's placement. It isn't the Leo planets necessarily, but the Pluto energy.

Anyone born during that period when Pluto was in Leo who encounters someone with personal planets in Leo is going to feel their Pluto energized, too. This is hard on the Leo person.

I have Pluto smack in the middle of Leo and the Sun and Saturn in Pluto too. I have always been MUCH happier socializing with people born when Pluto had moved on into other signs. People of my own generation tend to find me difficult to be with because my Sun activates their Plutos. Younger people don't.

Years ago I took a class with astrologer Don Cerow and he read us a description of the characteristics of planets in the sign Taurus that had been written in the 1880s. By then Pluto had been in Taurus for 30 years. Taurus was described in that book as relentless, domineering, vengeful, etc, etc. Very far from what any of us would now recognize as Taurean qualities--but very Plutonian, which is even more interesting given that the astrologers of the time didn't know about Pluto as it had't been "discovered." Obviously it was still at work and they picked up that energy when they read Taurean charts.

That shows you how greatly Pluto can color the feel of all planets in the sign
it inhabits. It doesn't even have to be in close aspect with them, from what I've observed.

People with strong Leo planets who were born when Pluto had moved on to other signs are probably feel quite different to other people than do those of us who were born with Leo planets under the influence of Pluto.

Cary2

Banned
Leo - children/offspring

Leo in Pluto were the Baby (Leo) Boomers.

Leo in Pluto were the Elvis fans and the Beatlemania fans. "Fan" = fanatics.

Entertainment (Leo) Fans (Pluto "fanatics")

Lion o ness

So your Leo qualities reach us (the world outside yourself) through a pisces filter. When I meet you I see soft, mellow, dreamy, feminine, non-aggressive and slightly undecided, willowy pisces. And then little by little as I get to know you, and you get to trust me, the Leo seeps through. Is this the case?

Yes pretty close

When i first meet people, Im very quiet and reserved. Which is why i dont connect with alot of people. Most people dont stick around long enough to really get to know me. I come across as a good good. I shy away from people easily. I really dont like being in large crowds. Im more of behind the scene type of person.
Also my leo is in h6, so i have a scheduled of things i do. The only time i go outside my schedule is for sex. 😂 I mean physical attention!
I think my leo shows the most in a romantic relationship. Once im comfortable Then boy watch out all the leo shows and theres mo stopping it! Lol
I will turn more outgoing, loud, annoying, i want mental and physical attention.
Deep conversation and sex! , ican be pretty demanding. And i expect alot. But hey relationship is where i fail out. I have both uranus/pluto in h7.
So i need intense relationships, but i want alot of space . There is just no balance between the 2. So im never satisfied.

My leo planets
Sextile gem saturn
Sextile lib uranus.
Saturn/uranus trine

So im stable in personal life and career/ but flaky in relationships.

Last edited: