How accurate are hospital birth times?

wwfbader

I've been suffering the consequences of not knowing my birth time, but knowing that I was born around the middle of two signs. The other day, after years of trying to figure out my rising sign - I finally get a reply from the hospital that I was born at with my birth time.

I get told that I was born at 05:06 AM which places me at 1.06 degrees Libra rising.

NVppFKp.gif

I don't feel like I am a libra rising though, for starts i'm quite introverted and like to be anti-social. People immediately like me for starts which I find quite Libran, but I don't have a wide variety of friends and like to keep my circle of friends quite small. I feel like I am a Virgo rising because 80 percent of my friends and the people that I attract are mutuable signs, which is extremely odd because I have no major mutuable signs in my chart. I feel like the squares in my chart can give me shy qualities but I am not quite sure.

JUPITERASC

I've been suffering the consequences of not knowing my birth time, but knowing that I was born around the middle of two signs. The other day, after years of trying to figure out my rising sign - I finally get a reply from the hospital that I was born at with my birth time.

I get told that I was born at 05:06 AM which places me at 1.06 degrees Libra rising.

I don't feel like I am a libra rising though, for starts i'm quite introverted and like to be anti-social. People immediately like me for starts which I find quite Libran, but I don't have a wide variety of friends and like to keep my circle of friends quite small. I feel like I am a Virgo rising because 80 percent of my friends and the people that I attract are mutuable signs, which is extremely odd because I have no major mutuable signs in my chart. I feel like the squares in my chart can give me shy qualities but I am not quite sure
The accuracy of an official hospital time of birth
is unreliable
because
At the time of any delivery
the medical team are unlikely to be seated nonchalantly at their computer
doing nothing other than waiting to note an accurate time of birth
in order to immediately create a natal chart

On the contrary
the medical team is entirely focused on the health, safety and welfare of both mother and newborn

So official times of birth are noted AFTER the event

and

exactly when
is entirely dependent on the individual procedures of particular hospitals :smile:

FURTHERMORE

due to mechanical error
hospital clocks are frequently fast or slow

and
due to human error

mistakes may be made when noting the time of birth for official records

so

in order to verify official times of birth
as well as to find times of birth that are unknown or uncertain
astrologers use a technique known as rectification
RECTIFICATION TIPS - VERIFYING ASC/DESC/MC/IC/ANGLES
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum...ad.php?t=51626

Since
IF your time of birth were only approximately five minutes earlier
you would have been a Virgo ascendant

then
it is well worth checking
by using the various rectification techniques

greybeard

A registered birth time of 0506 is probably close to exact. Even if birth actually occurred (the first breath) 4 minutes earlier you will still have Libra rising. (From 0501:01 Asc is in Libra).

Put it this way -- the time recorded by the attending physician is the best you are going to get. When recorded to the minute as yours is (not rounded off to a quarter hour, or even 5 minutes [e.g., 0505]), it is likely that someone was paying attention to the clock.

If you want to establish your exact time of birth, then rectification is necessary.

You are very likely not a very good judge of your rising sign; it is very hard to "see ourselves" objectively.

What is the basis for your assumption that Virgo is introverted and Libra is not? The chart as it stands has a 4-planet stellium in Scorpio, and the stellium is intercepted. That can easily account for "introversion" or a desire for privacy.

Your Eleventh House of Friends is either Leo or Cancer (If the Asc is Libra or Virgo). Neither of these is a mutable sign, neither ruler is posited in a mutable sign and neither are they conjunct the lord of a mutable sign. So???? Your assumption must be that if a mutable sign is rising, one will befriend people of mutable signs? That has no astrological logic...it doesn't follow, it's a non sequitur.

And if you "don't feel like a Libra", what about your Libra Sun in the First House? Again, we are very poor judges of ourselves. We often can't see the forest for the trees.

Unless and until you carry out a rigorous rectification, I would use the recorded time of birth and consider it valid. Using this time, Sun directs (by symbolic direction) to Ascendant at age 17 years 4 months. Allowing a month (perhaps two) on either side of that, I would expect a significant event at that time (Feb 2012 +/- 2 months. This can vary from expectation dependent on other predictive factors). If the Asc is in Virgo, such an event would occur later...an Asc of 28 Virgo 08 implies such an event at age 20 years 4 months, roughly. The event might take on the character of establishing personal independence, of breaking the bonds of parental dependence.

Last edited:

mdinaz

You probably like mutable sign people because you have a preponderance of cardinal and fixed signs for your planets and your ASC and 11th house. Only Saturn, a non-personal planet, is in a mutable sign. Mutability is something you lack so you seek it out in others. I'm the opposite - I have a ton of mutable planets (8 of 10) so most of my friends tend to be fixed or cardinal personalities - I don't "flakiness" or "eccentricity". I like things I can count on.

greybeard

Very insightful post mdinaz. Good job.

Compensatory urges. Seen in notable lack of a Quality, Element.

I would suppose that these urges show up in areas of life other than friendships. That might make for an interesting self-examination.

wwfbader

A registered birth time of 0506 is probably close to exact. Even if birth actually occurred (the first breath) 4 minutes earlier you will still have Libra rising. (From 0501:01 Asc is in Libra).

Put it this way -- the time recorded by the attending physician is the best you are going to get. When recorded to the minute as yours is (not rounded off to a quarter hour, or even 5 minutes [e.g., 0505]), it is likely that someone was paying attention to the clock.

If you want to establish your exact time of birth, then rectification is necessary.

You are very likely not a very good judge of your rising sign; it is very hard to "see ourselves" objectively.

What is the basis for your assumption that Virgo is introverted and Libra is not? The chart as it stands has a 4-planet stellium in Scorpio, and the stellium is intercepted. That can easily account for "introversion" or a desire for privacy.

Your Eleventh House of Friends is either Leo or Cancer (If the Asc is Libra or Virgo). Neither of these is a mutable sign, neither ruler is posited in a mutable sign and neither are they conjunct the lord of a mutable sign. So???? Your assumption must be that if a mutable sign is rising, one will befriend people of mutable signs? That has no astrological logic...it doesn't follow, it's a non sequitur.

And if you "don't feel like a Libra", what about your Libra Sun in the First House? Again, we are very poor judges of ourselves. We often can't see the forest for the trees.

Unless and until you carry out a rigorous rectification, I would use the recorded time of birth and consider it valid. Using this time, Sun directs (by symbolic direction) to Ascendant at age 17 years 4 months. Allowing a month (perhaps two) on either side of that, I would expect a significant event at that time (Feb 2012 +/- 2 months. This can vary from expectation dependent on other predictive factors). If the Asc is in Virgo, such an event would occur later...an Asc of 28 Virgo 08 implies such an event at age 20 years 4 months, roughly. The event might take on the character of establishing personal independence, of breaking the bonds of parental dependence.

I say that introversion is more Virgo than Libra only in the sake of outer appearance. People are always telling me I look shy, serious and smart without knowing me. I always get told that I am well spoken (gem MC) and was very mature for my age when I was younger. My mother and brother both have libra rising and they fit the description so well, I however could only relate if Saturn was the ruler instead of Venus.

I have read and seen that when you have a certain type of ascendant, the group that belongs to will attract those of that group. So If I had Virgo rising id attract those of mutable because my outer appearance would be mutuable and that would attract them to me.

I am aware having libra in the first house would bless me with a semi appearance of libra and I have been told I look like my sign and I feel like a libra but I still have virgo traits that are often too noticeable to ignore.

The only thing that would make me a libra rising that I've noticed is that if Leo was in my 11th house, it would make sense because my closest friends are Leo and I have little to no cancer friends. I don't know if that would make sense but I always seek people for their popularity, fun, exciting and weirdness moreso than a nurturing,emotional, warm hearted person (cancer).

Also the only major event I can recall that happened around feb 2012 was in dec 2011 and it was a diagnoses/discovery of a major health issue. I broke ties with a parental figure in December/January of 2013.

JUPITERASC

The accuracy of an official time of birth is entirely dependent on the individual notation procedures at different individual hospitals

as well as whether or not human error occurred

Ignoring human error implies
that it is impossible for a human being to make an error when noting a time of birth

and that is nonsensical
even if an official time of birth is apparently noted 'to the minute'
because a simple factor
such as
that clocks may have been fast or slow
when someone noted your official time of birth
means that basic rectification is a good idea
however it is time consuming
so it is understandable that many would prefer to not rectify :smile:

JUPITERASC

Alternatively, write to the hospital at which the birth took place
and ask them how accurate the official time is likely to have been at that time when it occurred
i.e
give or take how many minutes... five, ten, fifteen...

because
if the official time of birth is incorrect by only four minutes either way
then predictions
are one year too soon
or
one year after
they would have been
if the timing of the birth were accurate

IF official time is eight minutes incorrect
then predictions are
two years too soon
or
two years after
they would have been

because
one of the most commonly used predictive methods
is:
'a degree for a year'

also known as

one degree = one year

i.e. one degree symbolizes one year of time
so
half a degree i.e. 30' symbolizes six months of time
and so on

so, good idea to learn the techniques and check the accuracy :smile:

serafin5

Alternatively, write to the hospital at which the birth took place
and ask them how accurate the official time is likely to have been at that time when it occurred
i.e
give or take how many minutes... five, ten, fifteen...

because
if the official time of birth is incorrect by only four minutes either way
then predictions
are one year too soon
or
one year after
they would have been

IF official time is eight minutes incorrect
then predictions are
two years too soon
or
two years after
they would have been

because
one of the most commonly used predictive methods
is:
'a degree for a year'

also known as

one degree = one year

i.e. one degree symbolizes one year of time
so
half a degree i.e. 30' symbolizes six months of time
and so on

so, good idea to learn the techniques and check the accuracy :smile:

You know I have a similar issue but not with knowing my Asc but my Mars sign as it was going from Aquarius to Pisces right then if the info I have is correct. And while my birth certificate says 11:42pm my mother remembers that the time was 11:30pm as she said she noted the time as I was an extremely large infant (a whopping 10lbs 6oz!!!).

I indeed have Mars in Aquarius!:biggrin:

Thanks always JupiterAsc!
S5

JUPITERASC

You know I have a similar issue but not with knowing my Asc but my Mars sign as it was going from Aquarius to Pisces right then if the info I have is correct. And while my birth certificate says 11:42pm my mother remembers that the time was 11:30pm as she said she noted the time as I was an extremely large infant (a whopping 10lbs 6oz!!!).

I indeed have Mars in Aquarius!:biggrin:

Thanks always JupiterAsc!
S5
Well that shows
that
in that particular hospital then,
although your Mom checked the time personally as being 11:30PM
it was either written down twelve minutes after the birth occurred

or

was estimated by the person who recorded it

Mars in Aquarius
versus
Mars in Pisces

is very different

so
that's why rectification is so important

Although astrological rectification programs are available
these all too often differ on the results they provide
so
the time consuming work
of checking whether the appearance is in sync with the Ascendant sign/its Ruler/and so on
as well as analysis of Profections
Firdaria
time lords
et al
is necessary
:smile:

serafin5

Well that shows
that
in that particular hospital then,
although your Mom checked the time personally as being 11:30PM
it was either written down twelve minutes after the birth occurred

or

was estimated by the person who recorded it

Mars in Aquarius
versus
Mars in Pisces

is very different

so
that's why rectification is so important

Although astrological rectification programs are available
these all too often differ on the results they provide
so
the time consuming work
of checking whether the appearance is in sync with the Ascendant sign/its Ruler/and so on
as well as analysis of Profections
Firdaria
time lords
et al
is necessary
:smile:

I agree that this is a huge difference between the two signs but my mom and I discussed this many many times before she passed. I believe that the GMT for Mars going from Aquarius into Pisces was for approximately 7:30 am on February 20, 1964, and so I took 8hrs from that time and I got 11:30 PST. I don't know the math to even attempt such a feat and I imagine that kind of software would be expensive.

I believe it is Aquarius for sure. :biggrin:

Thanks again!
S5