How Powerful Is Your Sun Sign, Really?

So I was wondering...when people talk about the zodiac signs, of course, the ones mostly emphasized are first of all sun sign,moon sign, and ascendent. It often seems that people place the sun sign as the #1 influencer, either the moon or ascendent second, and either the moon or ascendent (depending on what they choose as second) third, then all the other planets.

So now: I have a theoretical person SunSagittarius. So, SunSagittarius's sun sign is, well, Sagittarius. SunSagittarius, however, also has both, a Taurus moon and a Taurus ascendent. Would now SunSagittarius be more Taurus or Sagittarius?

Last edited:

Oddity

In traditional astrology, signs really don't have personalities, that's more of a recent thing.

If you were born with Sag rising, you might be considered jovial - it would depend on the condition of your Jupiter, as planets do have some qualities that mark people both physically, and in terms of personality, but predictive work is more what trad astrology focusses on. It assumes you already know wht's going on inside your own head and that you consult an astrologer because you wish to know the future.

You can look at the triplicity lords of your sect light (sun for day, moon for night) to get a general idea of the circumstances of your life, the Part of Fortune for the things that happen to you generally, Part of Spirit for what (if anything) you can do, and you can also get an idea of a person's temperament from the chart, and how eminent they'll be in the world.

If you mean which point in the chart is you in traditional astrology, it's the ascendant. The rest of the chart represents areas of your life and the people in it.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
So now: I have a theoretical person SunSagittarius. So, SunSagittarius's sun sign is, well, Sagittarius. SunSagittarius, however, also has both, a Taurus moon and a Taurus ascendent. Would now SunSagittarius be more Taurus or Sagittarius?

As Oddity pointed out, the personality characteristics aren't something that's really stressed in classical astrology. They are mentioned, but usually are more focused on the Ascendant sign than the Sun sign. This is because, in classical astrology, the Ascendant and its ruler are the only points in the chart that directly relate to the native. This is in stark contrast to more modern forms of astrology that discuss the natal chart is a map of someone's psyche so that every position has some kind of meaning to the personality of the native.

There are, of course, other points and considerations for personality, such as the temperament.

Anyway, back to our hypothetical person. Someone with Sun in Sagittarius, Ascendant and Moon in Taurus is going to be more Venusian since Venus rules Taurus. How exactly this works is going to depend on where and how Venus is situated. If their Moon is in Taurus, then they likely have the Moon in the first house, so they would also get some Lunar influences into their personality and appearance. This could be someone who is artistic, likes to travel, likes children, is supportive of others, etc, etc, depending on what the rest of the chart says.

kino

Sun: Libra, Moon: Scorpio, Asc: Taurus

It feels like my moon completely takes over, though I draw influence from my Sun and Asc signs in subtle, small amounts.

I believe it's different for each person. However, for me, my moon is definitely the strongest of all my signs. Before I knew more about Astrology (which still is extremely little), I assumed, like everyone else, that my sun sign was the only sign. So for a while, I could relate to my Libra Sun...but really deep down, it felt like something was off...especially when I read descriptions of it.

Now that I know about my moon, I can hardly ever relate to my sun sign. Unless, it talks about justice.

CapAquaPis

The Sun in Aquarius next to the moon (5 degree conjunction) gives off twice the Aquarian energy in my life. It'll come out quite strong and can make my life either very good or very bad, or go through a "roller coaster" (I'm sure most people's lives are dramatic to some extent). Cancer ascendant, the sign rules my moon in Aquarius and my sign's ruler planet Uranus in Scorpio, plus the sun/moon is under the 8th house.

Julian

Banned
I have Sun conjunct Jupiter in Aries with Moon Libra and Cancer Rising and people, aswell as myself, consider me very Aries-like.