Ceres

Nexus7

Quote:
Nexus:
the theme of bread and wine as mystereis does nicely link ther two in one idea.
Yet this also brings in the ritual within church traditions of bread and wine representing the body of Christ. Such a 'philosophy' has never been associated with an asteroid, although the Virgo-Pisces axis is strongly co-related to it. Also the bread and fishes that metaphorically 'fed' the multitude. How would Ceres fit into this picture?

I wouldn't normally associate fish with an asteroid either. I have heard it suggested though that the number of fish provided the multitudes had some mathematical significance, though.

waybread

One way in which fermentation and grain are linked is through the production of beer. I've read a little on ancient food, and apparently the same yeast that brewed beer was used in bread-making. For people who didn't have the chemistry to know about yeast organisms consuming starch and releasing C02 bubbles, bread-rising and fermentation could have seemed miraculous. Which I suppose it is.

Claire19

I feel that Ceres has to do with the Virgo archetype. Harvest and grain and nourishment of a physical kind......I have it opposing Saturn in Leo from the 12th only.......I dont really know what that means.

Pluto is a planet and I continue to use it, no matter how small or whatever.
Where would we be without our Pluto aspects??????Or is it my 8th house stellium talking......

Ceres on the other hand is an asteroid as far as I know. Fragments of old planets perhaps or just space junk. I dont give it anywhere near the influence of a bona fide planet.

Claire19

One way in which fermentation and grain are linked is through the production of beer. I've read a little on ancient food, and apparently the same yeast that brewed beer was used in bread-making. For people who didn't have the chemistry to know about yeast organisms consuming starch and releasing C02 bubbles, bread-rising and fermentation could have seemed miraculous. Which I suppose it is.
I tend to agree with Ceres being connected in a small way with what you say. It is where we get the word "cereal". I remain skeptical of the actual influence though.

Caro

I do value your comments Claire.

However personally I would disagree. I think ceres indicates quite a lot for me I have lots of not so good aspects to it which I think are quite revealing and would not be seen from other parts of my chart. I only learnt about this star on this forum. Ceres is in my 8th :cool:

I also definitely agree about Pluto - not to be underestimated.

Inside Out Orange

My Ceres is at 18Can in 3rd house (equal house system). It's 5 degrees from the IC/MC angle, 5 degrees off a square with Chiron and 9 degrees off a trine with Jupiter. Depending on the orb you give it, it could be seen as unaspected.

I consider myself to be very self-nurturing in the sense that I can look after myself and when disaster befalls me, I just need space and time to work my feelings through. Sympathy is of no 'use' to me, I'd like actual tangible help not someone saying "there, there it'll be alright". I'd put this down to having my sun/moon/venus conjunction in 4th house. That said, you could interpret all that as being a little too cut off and self-contained needing to withdraw, perhaps due to my planets in air.

In terms of food, it's just fuel to me. I don't appreciate the textures, the tastes, the appearance. I'm fairly fixed in the foods I like, and my diet is usually the same foods week-in/week-out. I'm not adventurous although I will try new foods if the opportunity presents itself.

You could interpret all that as being representative of an unaspected Ceres. With Saturn heading towards making a square aspect, I shall watch these areas of my life carefully.

waybread

A big thanks to Yennifer for sending me information on Czech chefs. I am compiling natal charts for people who would seem to have a strong link to Ceres, whether through cooking (professional chefs, cookbook authors) or agriculture. I am continuing to add to this list. Birth dates and places are not easy to come by, and birth times are especially difficult to find. So unfortunately houses, angularity, and working with house cusp rulers are not possible for most of them. Where houses are possible, I used Placidus.

If you would like to add to this list, please post here or send me a PM. I would be most appreciative!

Because I think Ceres may have a more spiritual or esoteric nature, I also looked at septile (360/7) and novile (360/9) aspects. My initial assumption was that such people should have a strong link between Ceres and Venus and the Moon, as the latter two rule many types of food and the stomach. Jupiter would also be a likely link, as people tend to gravitate towards what feels good for them.

It would be too much to post all the charts, but I will happily supply birth data or post charts on request.

Professional chefs, cookbook authors, cooking show hosts, &c.
Julia Child. Ceres broadly conjunct Venus in the 4th and Mars in the 5th, all in Virgo
Ceres septile MC.

Martha Stewart. Ceres conj. moon in Sag. in the 2nd as tip of a yod involving
Mercury and [Uranus conj. Saturn]; Ceres square [Neptune cnj. NN]
Ceres septile moon and Uranus.

Irma Rombauer. Ceres in Scorpio conj. Jupiter in Sag., Ceres square Venus, sextile
Mars, square Saturn, septile Neptune, novile sun. (author, Joy of
Cooking, best-seller from 1931 till now)

Marion Rombauer Becker (daughter, co-author, had food alleries) Ceres Leo opposite
moon, quincunx Saturn

Ethan [Rombauer] Becker (grandson, co-author). Ceres in Scorpio sextile Mercury, trine Venus, bi-quintile Mars, novile sun.

Craig Claiborne (NY Times food ed. and author.) Ceres in Gemini conjunct Pluto (wide), square Venus, quincunx Mars, trine Uranus, novile Chiron.

James Beard (cookbook author.) Ceres in Leo sextile [Venus cnj. Pluto], broadly
septile Jupiter, septile Chiron.

Fanny Farmer (early cookbook author, still in print) Ceres in Leo sesqui-square
sun, Venus, trine [Jupiter cnj. Mars], square Uranus, quincunx Neptune

Vlaclav Fric (Czech chef.) Ceres in Pisces cnj. Jupiter, square [Mars cnj. Neptune], quincunx
Pluto, novile Chiron

Katerina Fornuskova (Czech chef.) Ceres in Cancer conjunct NN, septile moon, novile Uranus

Dalibor Navratil (Czech chef.) Ceres in Leo opp. sun, bi-quintile Venus, sextile Uranus

Hana Zemanova (Czech chef who introduced organic cooking to C.R.) Ceres in Gemini cnj moon, quincunx Saturn; wide septile to Jupiter, novile sun.

Radek Subrt (Czech chef) Ceres in Leo square Mercury, sextile Uranus, trine
Chiron, novile sun (exact).

(more later)

Last edited:

Horus

Ceres contains about a 1/3 of the asteroid belt's total mass and is the only spherical object there. I suspect that Ceres is the former moon of a planet (sometimes referred to as "Maldek" or "Melona") which once existed between Mars and Jupiter. The rest of the asteroid belt is, therefore, a bunch of left-over debris from this exploded planet. Orthodox astronomers believe that this belt is left-over material from the formation of the solar system, but some 'fringe' scientists (with whom I agree) have compelling evidence to the contrary which is summarized here:
http://www.innerpotential.org/pages/article/maldek.html

Because of it's greater size, spherical quality, and new classification as a dwarf-planet, I believe that Ceres in particular has some measure of greater validity over the other numerous asteroids, astrologically-speaking, but I question that the meaning assigned to it has all that much psychological value for understanding our lives in comparison to the "real" planets, or Pluto. I have Ceres in Aries in the 4th with no other major aspects other than a tight trine with my ASC. So what does this mean? That I am agressive and energetic about food and nourishment in the home (or inner psyche) to support my image or in my interactions with others? Whoopdedoo!

Last edited:

waybread

Horus, I don't know what your Ceres placement means. If you scan back through this thread, you will find a variety of meanings suggested for Ceres. See if one of them works for you. How do you experience your 4th house?

Thanks for the science info--very interesting.

Horus

Since astrology already has the Moon and the Cancer sign in particular, it kind of seems that Ceres' meaning/role is redundant.

waybread

It is only "redundant" if people believe cookbook definitions of Ceres. I don't think it is some kind of junior moon. What did you think of the alternative meanings of Ceres given in the previous pages of this thread.

Horus

It is only "redundant" if people believe cookbook definitions of Ceres. I don't think it is some kind of junior moon. What did you think of the alternative meanings of Ceres given in the previous pages of this thread.

Waybread, I had only made a cursory scan before replying but I just went back and re-read this thread carefully. I appreciate your comments earlier. I think that "grief" is a valid province for Ceres.

I like the asteroid meanings at this website, and this excerpt of Ceres' in particular:

It tells us about our relationships with our parents and children... It is representative of the love of children. It also represents pain that comes from dependency and the separation from it. It concerns other things such as self-esteem, fertility and the cycles of nature.

Wherever you find Ceres placed in the birthchart will be the area where you will provide comfort and unconditional love, as well as where your need for it lies.

Keywords and what it rules:

attachment, caring, children, comfort, dependency, diet, eating disorders, fertility, food, grief, growth, love, mother, nourishing, nurturing, nutrition, procreation, reproduction, self-esteem, self-worth, separation, sharing
agriculture, crops, farming, food, gardening, grain, growing, herbs, horticulture, plants, seeds

http://www.aquamoonlight.co.uk/ceres.html

I still don't understand how it is modifed by Aries, but I think it is beyond coincidence that my Chiron is also in Aries. The 4th house often concerns one parent, usually the father, and in my case, my father was gone from my early youth. He was a workaholic and sometimes travellling for many weeks at a time, and that had an adverse affect on the first decade of my upbringing.

waybread

For me, it works best to think of signs as showing "how" or "in what manner" a planet operates. Then a house shows "where" or "in what domain of life" a planet operates. Then aspects are important, so see how your Ceres is aspected. Squared by Saturn? Trined by the moon?

Also, I work with house cusp rulers, so if Aries is on your IC, look at what Mars is up to by house placement and aspects. If Pisces is on your IC, look to Neptune (modern ruler) and Jupiter (traditional ruler.)

A planet in Aries would operate independently, assertively, and quite possibly courageously. The 4th is both your current home but also your early childhood conditioning. It gets a little complicated, but your IC could be either parent. The fact that you brough up your father suggests an IC association with him.

So if your Ceres is afflicted or conjunct Chiron, it suggests you did not feel that secure parent-child bond. Also, possibly that your mother had to take other a much larger role in your childhood upbringing, which may have been difficult for her, as well.

Oh well. You know the old saying, "It is never to late to have a happy childhood." Possibly your father did what he felt he had to do to keep a roof over your head and bread on the table.

So key words for how Ceres in Aries might operate

Horus

For me, it works best to think of signs as showing "how" or "in what manner" a planet operates. Then a house shows "where" or "in what domain of life" a planet operates. Then aspects are important, so see how your Ceres is aspected. Squared by Saturn? Trined by the moon?

Also, I work with house cusp rulers, so if Aries is on your IC, look at what Mars is up to by house placement and aspects. If Pisces is on your IC, look to Neptune (modern ruler) and Jupiter (traditional ruler.)

A planet in Aries would operate independently, assertively, and quite possibly courageously. The 4th is both your current home but also your early childhood conditioning. It gets a little complicated, but your IC could be either parent.

In my opinion, 4th house connects (more often than not) with the Father. I've done multiple readings for people who have Saturn in the 4th and they all lost their fathers.

I usually interpret in the way that you suggest, and I have collections of adjectives and adverbs for each sign, but Ceres' dominion over agriculture and grief doesn't exactly blend with the likes of Aries to arrive at a sensible, viable meaning. For Aries, I always think "agressive, energetic and independent", but toward.... food? Nourishment? Grief? Separation? :unsure:

4th cusp ruler Mars is in Libra in the 9th. How that relates I can't imagine.
And Chiron in Aries is not conjunct Ceres and it's in the 3rd house. Ceres is only in a trine with my ASC.

Strange that the other four popular asteroids dovetail into the "story" of my chart by their meanings and position more than this one, the largest of them all.

waybread

Hi Horus--

All of the planets have multiple and separate meanings. Venus, for example, can show a woman's femininity, the arts, luxuries, and a whole bunch of plants that come under her rulership. How do we know what meaning of Venus is correct when we read a chart? Is Mars the athlete, soldier, or surgeon? All of these are "martial" types of people. Does a Neptunian individual become a drug addict or an inspired mystic or a film-maker? Or all of the above?

If Ceres is afflicted, probably it will not show "nurturing" or "agricultural" in a positive way; just as when 11th house sun people with harsh aspects to their sun think astrology doesn't work because they have trouble making friends. I think astrology does work in such an instance, but it takes getting beyond "planets in houses" or "planets in signs", because aspects have a great deal to say about how happily a planet operates.

Also, because dignities, debilities, exaltations, falls, and the like have not been worked out for Ceres--and may never be--we also have to get some sense of sign-planet compatibility. The sun is well-placed in Leo (dignified) and Aries (exalted) in keeping with these signs' strong sense of their individual identity. Saturn falls in Aries, in keeping with the incompatibility of Dr. No's insistence on patience, deferred gratification, following the old rules, and planning for one's retirement. Ceres would seem to be more "at home" in some signs such as Taurus, and less so in others--such as Aries.

Also, we need to look at retrogradation. When a planet is retrograde, theoretically its energies turn inward, and its free-flowing outward expression become more difficult for us. I don't know whether your Ceres is retrograde or not.

Ceres in her major myth (and at least one of her minor myths) shows herself during her grief stage to be angry to the point of being punitive. Essentially she engages in a war of attrition--not only against Pluto, but also against Jupiter who, as king of the gods, had the power to demand that Pluto relase Prosperpina, yet Jupiter initially refused to do so.

So one possible reading of Ceres in Aries in the 4th (along with Chiron, even if they are not conjunct but notably if there are hard aspects to Ceres) is some anger-infused sadness (Aries) about one's early childhood (4th house). Possibly you didn't feel adequately nurtured (Ceres) in an emotional or metaphorical sense even if you had sufficient food in the house--planetary meanings are not always literal.

Horus, are you willing to post your chart with Ceres, BML, and Chiron in the mix? That would make it easier to "get under the hood" of your excellent questions.

midnight sun

What if Ceres is in conjunction with both Sun and Mars in Cancer in 9th house in opposition to Neptune, trine Pluto?

It seems complicated, I couldn't interpret it by the information in websites. If it's about nurturing, I already have a passion of nurturing humanity, nature, world because of Cancers in my 9th house. But I don't feel nurturing about family or babies. It's weird.

AspieTaurus

I agree with the Original Poster that Ceres is the true ruler of Virgo (I also consider Eris the true ruler of Libra). Ceres in my chart is in Virgo in my 10th house.

This is a quite useful page describing Ceres through the signs:

http://astrotribe.tribe.net/thread/9f6ef309-ef7c-4c57-b30b-cc805d327951

Interestingly, I have Ceres in Cancer conjunct my Moon. My mother actively denied me food and put me on diets, plus made me take laxatives from as early as age 5.... (she also most likely had a Moon-Ceres conjunction in Virgo.) This has led to a lifetime of not knowing when I am hungry, or full, as well as extreme dieting during my young adult years. I can remember at around the age of 32 considering that food was my enemy!!! Now that is a twisting of Ceres, but it is the self-nurturing requirement of Ceres which is the antidote.

I definitely relate to this:

Ceres in Virgo persons identify nurturance with perfection or with service. Ideally, the mothering experience can foster the child's sense of competence, discrimination, and self-discipline, which gives the ability to extend skills to others. Nurturing is expressed through teaching others to achieve excellence by right application of skills and talents. Feelings of self-worth arise through mastering a skill or technique and expressing it in the work world, or through feeling useful to others. Imbalance often results when the children are constantly criticised for their efforts, no matter how good they were. This can lead to an obsessive need to be perfect and to be critical of the imperfections of others.

AspieTaurus

Yes, I am familiar with the "starving children in Africa" line, which then meant that I ate the food she did put in front of me along with a whole lot of guilt about having enough food to eat. I'm sure that guilt creates something really twisted inside us.
I got the the "starving people in Africa" line too, even though growing up in the 90s the famine in Ethiopia that gave rise to that remark was long over. I blame it for contributing to my weight problem, I feel guilty if I don't finish my plate.

AriScoPis87

http://www.dawnastrology.com/Ceres.htm

Ceres through the Signs and Houses

Think of the key words for each Zodiac sign and house, then, do the same for Ceres, and we will have a good idea as to how Ceres may manifest itself in the signs and houses. Ceres projects nurturing, love, mothering, parenting, grief, despair, depression, love and care of the homeland, the earth, agriculture, gardening foodstuff, nutrition, the Initiation process through childbirth, death, dying and resurrection, and the mysteries behind the hidden veil.

Aries or 1st House

Ceres will be an obvious part of the personality, initiating and promoting self nurturance and caring for others. Independent, assertive, self starter, action orientated, physical activity, the grief work of Ceres may be connected to the self, through health, appearance, personality, or projection to partner could occur, or may attract a challenging partner or relationship.

Taurus or 2nd House

Ceres here will find nurturance in owning possessions, giving comfort to others by touch, massage, food, gardening, agriculture, horticulture, farming, crop circles researchers, environmental issues, stability, sharing artistic, musical and nurturing talents. They will enjoy a day at the spa, and/or with a beautician. Loss and grief work connected to possessions, values, self worth, loss of earning ability, addiction to food and other eating disorders. This placement needs to learn relax and have some fun.

Gemini or 3rd House

Communication is important, giving, receiving and collecting data and information so they may share it with others. They like to communicate to others and public relations may be their niche, at least in the local community. Possibly educators or those who like to be educated. They need to feel competent when communicating with others. Short distance travel, cab and bus drivers, postman, real estate agents. They may help others by working with their hands, the local mechanic, painter, musician or secretary. This placement may also have the responsibility of caring for their siblings; they could be the local neighborhood babysitter, and enjoy nurturing others in their community. Grief work may include siblings, painful communication, lack of education, trouble with transportation and accidents.

Cancer or 4th House

The home and /or family will be important to these people. They are sentimental and emotional finding nurturance in their own home, caring and cooking for others, performing domestic activities.

There can be an interest in real estate, land, mining, geology or gemology. Early childhood family life will play an important role on how they handle their emotions and nurture others. They may care for others' in their home, or become home care workers, midwifes, and be highly conscious of parenting. Grief work will involve the home, early childhood, the mother or father, mood disorders, and genetic family karma; sometimes a medical condition.

Leo or 5th House

Here, Ceres will love to generously nurture their loved ones and children, by finding ways to be creative, have fun, and enjoy sports and hobbies. They can teach others how to find the inner muse and creative spark! This would be a great placement for a children's art teacher or writer…Harry Potter maybe? They will feel nurtured by receiving attention and extra special loving gestures from those who care about them. They will enjoy traveling in style and comfort. Their grief issues may come from failed investment strategies, too much gambling, money shared with their friends, partners, conflicting values, love affairs and rebellious teenagers. There could be a custody battle over children or child support. This may be where the story of Ceres, Persephone and Pluto began.

Virgo or 6th House

Serving others is what Ceres likes to do here…and they enjoy working. You will nurture your co-workers or your company may nature you. These people are perfectionists and often have technical and organizational skills. Health care workers, dieticians, nutrition, health food and vitamins, herbology, and medical personnel and those who work with pets, veterinarians, the SPCA, as a matter of fact any service industry will find itself at home here. Virgo is the sign for fashion and design, sewing, handiwork and restaurants. You could feel nurtured by fashion, food, and health awareness, by serving others, your co-workers, your pets….is a big one, and we have all heard how they give us unconditional love! And pet lovers love to lavish their affection on their companions. Grief and loss will be connected to issues of the 6 th house and Virgo, namely, health, illness, food safety, hygiene, work, pets, perfectionism and loneliness.

Libra or 7th House

Ceres loves to give and care for others with this placement in relationships, partnerships and public relations work. But needs to watch that giving is not ‘over the top' so to speak. Relationships don't work well if only one partner is rowing the boat. Resentments and a co-dependant relationship could develop.

Here, Ceres' is looking for pleasant, loving, harmonious relationships. The mother may have, in fact, modeled this through the family dynamics.

This is a good placement for those who work with the public as there is a genuine interest in nurturing others in a diplomatic and graceful way. Grief issues could include loss of partner or business, disharmony, extreme dislike of rude manners or language, a power struggle for identity.

Scorpio or 8th House

Ceres here may be nurtured by the stability of the mother-child bonding relationship as well as other meaningful close encounters, especially powerful emotional or sexual encounters. The partner's money and investment income, responsible decision making regarding financial well being. Inheritance, contribution to environmental issues, recycling, investigating hidden information, and the mysteries of life and death. Nurturing received through a healthily sexual relationship. Working with the dying, hospice and chaplaincy work, doctors, childbirth and midwifery.

Grief work with money, inheritance, (especially with siblings), loss or death of those we love and care for, child maintenance, alimony payments, divorce, sexual dysfunction, power struggles, obsessive behavior.

Sagittarius or 9th House

A love of adventure, the outdoors and concern for the environment and our animal kingdom. Ceres here may take on a project such as feeding the hungry, involvement in social issues, ‘saving the whales or polar bears' Persons on a missionary path, spiritual guru's and teachers, healers working or volunteering for the social order. (E.g. Mother Teresa, Princess Dianna)Nurturing will come through teaching or preaching about humanity's evolutionally path in terms of our environment, diverse cultures and religious traditions, as well as the love of travel. These people may feel nurtured by acquiring knowledge and wisdom and teach others how to explore their inner and outer worlds, developing their own philosophy and spirituality. Grief work may come through the realization that all cannot be saved. Issues may include frustration and acceptance of foreign countries, cultures, traditions and religions, our sick and starving populations, the animals at risk due to mans aggressive nature and the challenging weather patterns.

Capricorn or 10th House

In order to feel secure and nurtured, persons with this placement need to feel in control, organized, and know where they are going, they don't like surprises. We can count on them to make responsible choices and decisions. Ceres in the 10 th will want to help organize, and teach you the process of goal setting and help you understand that success comes from discipline and perseverance. No get rich quick schemes here! They may be a bit too controlling too! One of your parents or a mentor embodied this energy and encouraged your career path. This placement will want to help maintain the ‘status quo ‘at a leadership position, while developing systems which define responsibly, structure, organization and focus to reach a common goal. This can be the placement for a politician or high official that is able to reach the masses with the message of care and respect for whatever their mission is. Remember, Ceres rules our agriculture, farmland, crop circles … (Maybe that is her speaking to us through the ground or from the sky!). This position will be concerned about the health and welfare of the country, our values, and government polices in reference to‘re- building our new earth'; a Plutonic energy must also be involved for the regeneration and rebirth process. Because it is the 10 th house and therefore the zenith position, it is closer to the heavens suggesting concern for the air we breathe, and atmospheric conditions. Grief work may involve caring for an elderly parents, conflict and/or caring for your boss, co-workers, your career choices, the state of your country, government, the health care systems, environment.

Aquarius or the 11th House

From an esoteric viewpoint this is the house of the ‘world server', therefore you may have a mission to help the masses in a humanitarian way. Persons with this placement love the world and look at our global community as all are friends, bothers, or sisters. There are no boarders. Remember the song by John Lennon, ‘Imagine ‘Imagine all the people loving everyone….

We care and nurture our friends and are nurtured by them as well. All 12 step groups embody this archetype, the challenge loss, and then returning to a state of well being, while friends in the support group nurture and care for you. In addition, this placement would most likely include single parenting groups, adoption, foster parents, orphanages, or those who work in community group homes for disadvantaged children and youth. Ceres here may rebel against the social structure and want to see change, bringing in new innovative ideas, inventions, and to work to bring about positive change for our future. They can be activists and will let their ideas be known through the use the written word, newspapers, public speaking and books. Grief issues involves friend, groups, and rebelliousness, the rebel without a cause syndrome, adoption issues and our global community.

Pisces or the 12th House

When Ceres is in the 12 th house you will want to help the disadvantaged through charitable organizations, volunteering, fund raising, and working in large institutions or behind the scenes. Psychological and karmic issues regarding the mother, and/or your family of origin may be repressed and need healing. You may nurture yourself by spending time alone, enjoying a day at the spa, or creating your own spa atmosphere at home. Spending time by the water will be calming for you, sailing, spiritual retreats, and quiet moments alone are important to your well being. This is also the house of fantasy and imagination, therefore artistic inspiration and poety may flow through you. Dreams of how you wish you were nurtured, or how you would like to see the world. This is a good placement for nurses or those in the caring fields, where you care for and may even quietly support those in need. Addiction counselors, recovery houses, and organizations such as the Salvation Army would be a good example of Ceres in the 12 th house. Psychological imbalance and grief are experienced due to lack of love, choosing partners that are not able to nurture and care for us, inability to have children, illness of self, addiction issues, parents, siblings, spouse, and insufficient nurturing in your formative childhood years.