Quincunx vs contra-parallel

waybread

Re: Quincunx vs parallel

A quincunx is an angle of 150 degrees. Lacking the stresses of the opposition and square, or the easy flow of the trine it seems to indicate an irritation that is ongoing, but not so pronounced that the person has to act on it. It can also give a lot of uncertainty. ("Should I or shouldn't I?")

When you get two quincunxes that conjunct via one of their planets, and sextile via their other two planets, you get a formation that looks like a narrow triangle, called a "yod."

The apex planet represents an energy that the person needs to develop. A lot of an individual quincunxs' indecision will be mitigated by the sextile.

Parallels and contra-parallels work like conjuncts and oppositions, respectively. They are measures of declination, of a planet's distance off the ecliptic. They are measured in degrees north or south. If two planets have the same degree of declination, with both north or both south, they are parallel. If they have the same degree of declination but one is north and one is south, they are contra-parallel.

If you construct your chart at Astrodienst www.astro.com, and click on the "additional tables" you can see your planets' declinations and work out if any are parallel or contra-parallel.

YonyGursho

A quincunx is an angle of 150 degrees. Lacking the stresses of the opposition and square, or the easy flow of the trine it seems to indicate an irritation that is ongoing, but not so pronounced that the person has to act on it. It can also give a lot of uncertainty. ("Should I or shouldn't I?")

When you get two quincunxes that conjunct via one of their planets, and sextile via their other two planets, you get a formation that looks like a narrow triangle, called a "yod."

The apex planet represents an energy that the person needs to develop. A lot of an individual quincunxs' indecision will be mitigated by the sextile.

Parallels and contra-parallels work like conjuncts and oppositions, respectively. They are measures of declination, of a planet's distance off the ecliptic. They are measured in degrees north or south. If two planets have the same degree of declination, with both north or both south, they are parallel. If they have the same degree of declination but one is north and one is south, they are contra-parallel.

If you construct your chart at Astrodienst www.astro.com, and click on the "additional tables" you can see your planets' declinations and work out if any are parallel or contra-parallel.

Thank you!

greybeard

Still apples and oranges.

The quincinx, not technically an aspect although treated as one, is measured along the ecliptic. The parallels of declination are measured from the equator.

Thus, they have different planes of reference. And they are measured differently (along and from).